Easter on Viking

angela miller

We will be in Naples on Viking for Easter. We know that there is usually a non denominational service but does Viking do anything else?  We did a River cruise during Easter in Switzerland and there were chocolate eggs everywhere with a lovely buffet and a list of Churches and times of Easter services.

We were On Viking Sun in South Africa over Easter 2019 and had chocolate gifts in our cabin on Easter Sunday - a small basket with a Lindt bunny, plus another bunny (Milka) and some Milka eggs.  We'd noticed a large Lindt store when strolling round the Cape Town waterfront area, so maybe they stocked up there! 

There was also a big display of chocolate eggs and bunnies in the Living Room, similar in style to the Gingerbread displays at Christmas - you were able to take wrapped chocolate eggs and bunnies from there too after everyone had had time to admire the display.  

I can't remember anything else, sorry!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we were on a Viking Cruise during Thanksgiving there was no special gifts in the cabin. There was roasted Turkey, dressing and cranberry relish in the World Cafe. Also there was roasted "sweet" potatoes.. I think it was really yams, not sweet like real sweet potatoes.

I did text message great nieces back home that we had turkey and dressing for lunch. They were worried that we would not have a "Thanksgiving" dinner.

3 hours ago, MSEm said:

When we were on a Viking Cruise during Thanksgiving there was no special gifts in the cabin. There was roasted Turkey, dressing and cranberry relish in the World Cafe. Also there was roasted "sweet" potatoes.. I think it was really yams, not sweet like real sweet potatoes.

I did text message great nieces back home that we had turkey and dressing for lunch. They were worried that we would not have a "Thanksgiving" dinner.

It's not really a surprise that "Thanksgiving" is not really a thing on an international cruise. Thanksgiving is a North American thing and it's not celebrated at the same time in Canada and the United States. Easter is a world wide celebration, it is appropriate that it would be recognized on an international cruise.

• Like 2

Easter is not universally celebrated, if it is, it may not be at the same day, or celebrated in the same way. 

The name 'Easter', the timing and the eggs and rabbits part of it is a Roman appropriation of a North European pagan spring celebration, when the Emperor was trying to convert the provinces. 

All depends where you're from and where you are at the time

Edited by KBs mum

5 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

We’ll be in Bruges on Easter, so we’ll be able to buy all the chocolate bunnies we want!! 👍😁😋🐇

Seriously good chocolate there, we really enjoyed Dumon. When we went through, none of the chocolates in the cases were labeled and the server walked us down the case describing each morsel as we went along. Take my word for it you could part with a substantial number of Euro in that shop.

Also try Leffe Ruby it is a lovely raspberry beer.

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Seriously good chocolate there, we really enjoyed Dumon. When we went through, none of the chocolates in the cases were labeled and the server walked us down the case describing each morsel as we went along. Take my word for it you could part with a substantial number of Euro in that shop.

Also try Leffe Ruby it is a lovely raspberry beer.

We also liked the street waffles, covered in your choice of the finest chocolate. 
Thanks for the beer suggestion - I’ll find it!! 🍺

On 3/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, Blackduck59 said:

It's not really a surprise that "Thanksgiving" is not really a thing on an international cruise. Thanksgiving is a North American thing and it's not celebrated at the same time in Canada and the United States. Easter is a world wide celebration, it is appropriate that it would be recognized on an international cruise.

However the Russian Orthodox religion generally celebrates holidays on different days than the western christian religion.  This year, the Russian Orthodox celebrate easter on April 24 instead of April 17.  So while easter may be a world wide celebration for those of the christian faith, it's date is not the same world wide.

DON

15 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

However the Russian Orthodox religion generally celebrates holidays on different days than the western christian religion.  This year, the Russian Orthodox celebrate easter on April 24 instead of April 17.  So while easter may be a world wide celebration for those of the christian faith, it's date is not the same world wide.

DON

More to my original point...Way more Easter celebrations world wide than American Thanksgiving. Many of those worldwide cultures celebrating Easter at the same time. My point was what does the low keyed Thanksgiving celebrations on a Viking cruise have to do with Easter (which is the topic of this thread).

We are leaving our cruise a day early because it stops in our home town. If we get the little Easter basket, that would be nice. If not, oh well we saved ourselves the cost of getting home from Vancouver. 

I find this thread somewhat timely.  We are not religious but last week I realized that next year, 2023 when we take the Pyramids & Pharohs Nile River Cruise we will be on our pre-cruise extension in Jerusalem the week prior to Easter.  Friday before Easter which people claim to be a "Good" day is the day we transit from Jerusalem to Cairo.

I suspect that we will find Jerusalem more crowded than normal that week, so be it.

I don't suspect Cairo to be much different as my understanding is that many Christians there are Orthodox and their Easter is later.

And no one has mentioned non-Christians who do not celebrate Easter at all. As a majority of Viking cruisers are American, Thanksgiving is acknowledged. We were on the Ultimate Tuscany extension few years ago and had a Thanksgiving dinner at our villa.

3 hours ago, Squawkman said:

And no one has mentioned non-Christians who do not celebrate Easter at all. As a majority of Viking cruisers are American, Thanksgiving is acknowledged. We were on the Ultimate Tuscany extension few years ago and had a Thanksgiving dinner at our villa.

I did not mean in any way for this to address the people that are non-Christians. My simple question was is  there a celebration for Christians in Naples Italy.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:40 AM, KBs mum said:

Easter is not universally celebrated, if it is, it may not be at the same day, or celebrated in the same way. 

The name 'Easter', the timing and the eggs and rabbits part of it is a Roman appropriation of a North European pagan spring celebration, when the Emperor was trying to convert the provinces. 

All depends where you're from and where you are at the time

All depends where you're from and where you are at the 

Just now, angela miller said:

All depends where you're from and where you are at the 

I think you’re talking about the emperor Constantine. 

On 3/29/2022 at 1:56 AM, angela miller said:

If anyone is wondering why people don’t ask simple questions this is it! 

A simple question, but with no simple answer when thinking worldwide. There are too many variables, particularly of the question relates to the religious rather than cultural aspects. 

On 3/27/2022 at 1:36 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

We’ll be in Bruges on Easter, so we’ll be able to buy all the chocolate bunnies we want!! 👍😁😋🐇

so will we!