Potential fix for E-Muster no shows

Karter

On 3/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, Karter said:

I just saw a report where Carnival is considering going back to the old muster process because way too many people are not completing the E-Muster before the ship can sail. On Carnival Vista they had 400 people that did not complete it so they shut down all beverage and food services to get passengers to comply.

I love the E-Muster process and have an idea that I think could solve the problem. Hand out the sea pass cards at the muster station after you get the 2 minute briefing. They know what cabins are associated with each muster station and it wouldn't take long to hand out the sea pass cards so the passengers can go to their cabins or bars. Plus the missing passengers would eventually be forced to go to the muster station if they wanted to get in their cabins.

Any thoughts on if you think this could work?

Do you have a link to that article so we could read it?

Thanks!

Tom😀

9 hours ago, trbarton said:

Do you have a link to that article so we could read it?

Thanks!

Tom😀

This was stated in a youtube livestream from the channel, Island Time. His verbal report was that the cruise director of the Vista, Savannah, made an announcement stating that reverting back to the old muster process was being considered by Carnival due to so many not getting it done timely. She was probably trying to encourage the 400+ people to go get it done, but words have consequences. 

16 hours ago, JoeMo said:

Where was this report ? 

13 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Please share that link. I'd love to read the source.

I think the OP might be referring to this YouTube video from Island Time. It sounds like the CD may have indicated that there may be changes IF the problems persist. 

I love the new E-muster, but the crew must hate it.  Having 2 to 3 people standing around at each station from first embark until all passengers decide to show up must be torture.  I used to work onboard CCL ships back in the 80's and embarkation day was the day for most of us to be able to sleep in and relax until just before sail away.  

I would think that handing out a small notice when they stamp your boarding pass explaining what the muster drill is and how important it is would be really helpful not only for new cruisers but for those who haven't sailed since the new E-muster started.

I use to say that they should "fine" every passenger that they had to hunt down during the old muster drills.  Having to stand around shoulder to shoulder and butt to belly, sweating in the hot sun while these idiots do whatever it is they are doing was absolute torture.  One of the reasons I love the E-muster - at least I'm somewhere comfortable while they try to locate said idiots.

• Like 1

They need to get on board with other lines and hand out sail and sign cards in the terminal. All they have to do is lock them, and have them unlock when you scan in at your muster station. You wouldn't be able to use it at bars or to get into your room until you scanned in at the muster station. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The one I saw was on a FB link for the Vista,  I tried to find it again and could not. 

Thanks.

I can't imagine this happening at the current level of staffing per guest ratio. This frees up so many crew members on embarkation by not having them with orange vests on and pointing to the passengers directions for muster.
 The solution is to deactivate the cruisers cards from everything including room access at sailing until they complete muster, and tell them that in the terminal before stepping on the ship.

3 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Thanks.

I can't imagine this happening at the current level of staffing per guest ratio. This frees up so many crew members on embarkation by not having them with orange vests on and pointing to the passengers directions for muster.
 The solution is to deactivate the cruisers cards from everything including room access at sailing until they complete muster, and tell them that in the terminal before stepping on the ship.

This has been addressed by JOhn since then saying nothing was going to change,  That said, the messages over the PA keep coming and coming and coming.  The way to end that (this will not happen) is to disable drink purchases till they check in a t e-muster.   Problem would be solved.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:26 AM, BlerkOne said:

Cut off all charge privileges and Cheers until after completing safety drill. 

They already do this. You can only make 2 charges to your SS account before they lock it until you muster. Doesn't do a whole lot of good for ones who aren't charging anything to their card.

To the OP: I think that is a great idea. They have to scan your boarding pass when you go to check you in at your muster station and your picture pops up on the screen so they can verify your ID. It would be easy enough to just hand you your SS card right there.

8 minutes ago, emoorehead said:

They already do this. You can only make 2 charges to your SS account before they lock it until you muster. Doesn't do a whole lot of good for ones who aren't charging anything to their card.

To the OP: I think that is a great idea. They have to scan your boarding pass when you go to check you in at your muster station and your picture pops up on the screen so they can verify your ID. It would be easy enough to just hand you your SS card right there.

They used to hand you you SS card when you checked in, but it wasn't efficient flipping through the cards until you found the specific cabin you were looking for. And there is the problem. Cards are grouped by cabins. There is no requirement for the occupants of a cabin to check in together or to do the safety drill together.

As things are now, abbreviated safety drills run almost continuously for a few people at a time. If they have to stop the process to find the right card or cards as people graduate, it slows things down. Passengers get by fine without S&S cards until the cabins are ready. No need to give them S&S cards before the cabins are ready, or let them have 1 much less 2 drinks before the safety drill.

Just lock the cards, and boarding pass, until muster complete. No purchases, no cabin access. Cards can still be in the mailbox but not activated until scanning in at muster. If you don’t drink, it doesn’t affect you if they cut off purchases but cabin access will make people take notice.

2 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Just lock the cards, and boarding pass, until muster complete. No purchases, no cabin access. Cards can still be in the mailbox but not activated until scanning in at muster. If you don’t drink, it doesn’t affect you if they cut off purchases but cabin access will make people take notice.

add to the list no dining reservations or changes to existing dining. For that matter, tie the functionality of the Carnival app to muster.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

add to the list no dining reservations or changes to existing dining. For that matter, tie the functionality of the Carnival app to muster.

Doesn’t help if they need the app to find the muster station.

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I'm fine with locking the cards for all purchases, etc. but not cabin access. You need the ability to drop off your carry-ons in the cabin (even if it's not ready for occupancy)

In reading all the comments, I totally agree the card should be locked for those who don't go to muster.  Why after 2 drinks, though?  Lock it immediately for all drinks or purchases or reservations, and as soon as it (or your boarding pass) is scanned at muster it would unlock. I also like the idea of locking people out of their cabins, but not sure that is feasible.

I'm not sure that they have the functionality on the cards to lock them for everything, they are either on or they aren't (at least for the cabin door). The bartender isn't supposed to serve you until the system shows that you've done the muster and there is nothing else your card can be used for purchase-wise until after sail away. Handing out the cards in the terminal would be a step backward, because that is how they used to do it and it was time consuming as heck. There are any number of reasons why people don't show up for muster and each reason has it's own solution.

On our cruise on Legend one gentlemen that was part of our roll call had to go back to the muster station 4 times to get his card scanned before the system showed that he completed the muster. Of course that was Legend's first sailing since the pandemic and may have just been a bug that needed to be worked out, but one has to wonder if that is a problem and how prevalent it is.

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They used to hand you you SS card when you checked in, but it wasn't efficient flipping through the cards until you found the specific cabin you were looking for. And there is the problem. Cards are grouped by cabins. There is no requirement for the occupants of a cabin to check in together or to do the safety drill together.

There is no reason to do this Disney prints the card as you walk up to check in. It takes about 30s per card to print one. We do this with student IDs at the school I teach at. Kids walk up at registration, have a photo taken and we print their id card right there. If we can process thousands of students in a few hours with a limited number of printers it shouldn't be an issue with a printer at every station. 

7 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I'm fine with locking the cards for all purchases, etc. but not cabin access. You need the ability to drop off your carry-ons in the cabin (even if it's not ready for occupancy)

We've cruised 4 times (3 on Carnival) in the last few months.  In each case, our muster station was much closer to where we boarded the ship than our cabin was.  As soon as we walk on the ship, we head to muster before going to our cabin; otherwise we'd be backtracking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Good point. Disabling the cards would solve another problem. No one “needs” to drop off luggage before the cabins are ready for occupancy. And no one is supposed to. If you can’t carry it, don’t carry it on, or get on later. Everyone thinks they are special

As pointed out later, muster station is often closer than your cabin.