Thoughts on Hawaii Inter-island Cruise?

4thgrade

NCL's Pride of America is absolutely the best way to see Hawaii.  Fly in a few days early to get adjusted to the time zone and do some sightseeing. Then you are on a 7-night floating hotel. You're in port every day (2 days overnight to partake in evening activities like luaus or early morning activities like a bike ride down a volcano). 

• Like 5

The Pride of America cruise allows you to see the 4 main Hawaiian islands. Like BirdTravels suggests, fly in early and visit the many sites on Oahu. I really enjoyed visiting Hawaii this way. 

Should you decide you would like to do a land tour, there will be transportation between the various islands required. 

Edited by spirit rev
  • Like 2

If this is your first time coming to Hawaii then my personal opinion is to do a land trip, there is so much to see and experience on each island that a day or two in port isn’t enough to really immerse yourself in the culture and beauty of each island. Pick one or two islands and spend multiple days on each so that you can really explore and feel the Aloha spirit. 

• Thanks 1

The first two times we visited Hawaii was on cruises, in 2005, and 2012.  Both excellent, and got to see different parts of each island during the port stops.  Cruising is an excellent way the first time or for us the first 2 times, as you are in a floating hotel without having to pack/unpack/fly/travel in order to see the 4 islands (Kona and Hilo on 2 sides of the Big Island).

After that we took a land vacation of Oahu and Big Island.  Being able to spend a few days at Kona, allowed me to do the manta ray diving and wife snorkeled.  For divers, the Kona manta ray diving is a must do in the lifetime.

• Like 1

We’ve done a circle cruise to Hawaii. No different from other ports and other destinations but I really felt like we didn’t have enough time on each island.
For us it was an incredibly long cruise, I think it was like six days there and six days back and then just four days in the islands. Don’t get me wrong, I love cruising, but it just seemed too long for me. And once we reached our destination and were heading back to the states, those were the longest six days of my life. But that’s a circle cruise … I am imagine a one-way and then fly back/there or whatever would be different. 

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL's Pride of America is absolutely the best way to see Hawaii.  Fly in a few days early to get adjusted to the time zone and do some sightseeing. Then you are on a 7-night floating hotel. You're in port every day (2 days overnight to partake in evening activities like luaus or early morning activities like a bike ride down a volcano). 

This is what we did and would totally recommend it.  We spent a few days before the cruise on Oahu in a little cottage up on the north shore.  Ideally we would have loved to return to Maui for an extra few days following the cruise but that was before retirement so we hadn't the time.  Rent a convertible and do the Road to Hana:)

• Like 2

It’s the most comprehensive of the Hawaii cruises. The upside is that you get to visit all of the islands at a better price than flying between them. The downside is that your time is limited on each island. It makes for a great overview, and then you can fly back to the island you most enjoyed. 

• Like 4

We have taken this cruise twice, and have it scheduled again for this December.  We also have a timeshare and trade it for week long trips to the islands.  You can't go wrong either way and we love the islands, especially Kauai.  Advantages to us of the cruise:  if you still work, its a great way to see several islands in a short amount of time, you don't waste time sitting in the various island's airports waiting to island hop if your time is limited, cruising the Napali coast is beautiful, there may or not be volcano action, one trip there was, one trip their wasn't, if you are not into renting a car, the ship's shore excursions are an easy (though pricy) way to get see stuff, if I sat here long enough, I'm sure I could come up with more items.  My suggestion - go a day or two early to check out Honolulu and all it has to offer, then take the cruise to get an overview of the islands, figure out which one you'd like to go back to first for a land trip, and then do that 🙂

A cruise of Hawaii is a great way to sample the islands, but as with all port stops, you will only experience a very limited snapshot of what each island has to offer. That maybe just enough, or not.

Pro to cruising: Although a Hawaiian cruise may seem expensive out of the gate, it is likely this will be the least expensive way for you to visit Hawaii. Hawaii does have the highest Cost of Living in the USA and I get a giggle each time friends/family visit a supermarket here for the first time. You don't say where you are from. California residents are less shocked than those from the mid-west, but Expect to pay over $8 for a gallon of Milk. A package of hot dog buns are going to run you $5. Gas just hit $6. These prices are then reflected in restaurants. My local beach bar charges $25 for a fish sandwich. A draft beer is $9. So, on a cruise where all your main meals and drinks are included will likely be a significant cost savings.

Another pro to cruising is that you can visit multiple islands without unpacking or the hassle of commuter shuttles. This will give you a brief taste of the islands, but that maybe just enough for you to decide which island to return to for a land vacation.

Con to cruising: A growing number of residents are anti-cruise ship. This is not unique to Hawaii, as many popular cruise destinations are struggling with sustainable tourism, but I have witnesses some poor behavior from residents toward cruise passengers. It's not likely this will be overt, but the Aloha Spirit of the 80's has evolved.

Also IMO, a snapshot is just not enough to truly connect with the Spirit of the islands. There is just no way to have any sense of immersion with the culture on a limited overnight visit. The spirit of Aloha is more than just a greeting, it is being in the present and connecting to the essence of life. It teaches us peace, compassion, respect and a responsibility. Dare I say that on island there is great significance to the passage of time (;-0).  If any of this resonates with you, a longer stay in one island maybe a better choice.

In summary, like most cultural destinations, the longer you can stay in each island the better. However; lengthy destination stays are not always possible so we must compromise.

Regardless of either choice, these tips apply (to any destination):

1) Wear reef safe sunscreen. Read the labels. Many 'reef safe' sunscreens are not at all reef safe.

2) Support local whenever possible.  

3) Be ocean aware

4) Respect. Respect. Respect. The culture, the people, the land.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of important points. Hopefully the full time residents on the forum can add more insight. 

• Like 3

My husband and I took this cruise in 2016. It’s a fantastic way to see Hawaii without having to hop on and off planes.  We had a marvelous time and I would highly recommend it.  We hope to do it again someday.  I wrote a review if you would like to read it.  

• Like 1

We did the 11 day POA explorer cruise in 2016 and really enjoyed it as we had only visited Maui previously.  On Oahu, as part of our tour before we boarded the ship, we visited the Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor, Kualoa Ranch, the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, and the Dole Plantation, among other locations.  We were in the Marriott in an ocean view room & it was a great introduction to Oahu plus, as others have mentioned, once you board the ship, getting to see a bit of each island without the hassle of inter-island air travel is a big bonus.  I highly recommend it.  We're booked on the 7-day cruise this fall (after 4 cancellations due to covid) & will be staying in Waikiki for a few days prior to embarking.  On our schedule this time is the PCC again including dinner & their show, Ha (with pick-up at our hotel), the Monarch's Tour which includes a visit to the Bishop Museum & a tour of Iolani Palace, and time to visit some of the great restaurants in Waikiki, do a little shopping, and maybe take the HOHO trolley around town. The islands are so beautiful that, whatever you decide, you'll have an amazing time!

• Like 2

I was fortunate to visit right before Covid at a great price, I loved it ❤️. I think it was a good first trip and gave me a sample of each island so I know where I want to go back to. Kauai😍😍 

With the hotels scarce there (last time I checked) the POA is a great way to travel. Oh, and some fantastic scenery awaits you as you head back to Oahu, everyone was trying to get a good view!!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

We’ve done a circle cruise to Hawaii. No different from other ports and other destinations but I really felt like we didn’t have enough time on each island.
For us it was an incredibly long cruise, I think it was like six days there and six days back and then just four days in the islands. Don’t get me wrong, I love cruising, but it just seemed too long for me. And once we reached our destination and were heading back to the states, those were the longest six days of my life. But that’s a circle cruise … I am imagine a one-way and then fly back/there or whatever would be different. 

Hi, NCL’s Pride of America is RT seven days, visiting 4 Islands.  It sails every Saturday from Honolulu and returns the following Saturday.  It doesn’t sail to Hawaii from somewhere else. Its home port is Honolulu.  It is the only mainstream crisis line that does this.  Sunday/Monday-Maui , Tuesday-Hilo Wednesday- Kona, Thursday/ Friday- Kauai. Saturday Am back in Honolulu.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

❤️😍😍Oh, and some fantastic scenery awaits you as you head back to Oahu, everyone was trying to get a good view!!!!

Be sure to get a stateroom on the port side of the ship for the best view of Kauai's Napali Coast.

• Like 1

janice2348-I would love to read your review!  We decided to add the three day Cruisetour!  

Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions, everybody!    I am going to write them down!

Edited by 4thgrade
  • Like 2

@4thgradeSo happy for you that you decided to book the cruise tour.  I know that you'll have an incredible time!  Here's another great review of the POA with some wonderful tips from Prof. Cruise:

https://profcruise.com/35-tips-for-your-cruise-to-hawaii-on-ncls-pride-of-america/

Enjoy!

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, Travelling2Some said:

This is what we did and would totally recommend it.  We spent a few days before the cruise on Oahu in a little cottage up on the north shore.  Ideally we would have loved to return to Maui for an extra few days following the cruise but that was before retirement so we hadn't the time.  Rent a convertible and do the Road to Hana:)

Your little cottage sounds great... can you share the details?  Am thinking I would love to do the same thing you outlined.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Doesn't the ship sail past one way, turn around and then sail past the other?  It's been a while....

Yes, but on the "return" sail by that coast, it is apparently further out to sea, and the view is more distant... not as dramatic.

GC

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Yes, but on the "return" sail by that coast, it is apparently further out to sea, and the view is more distant... not as dramatic.

GC

Thanks.  As I said, it’s been a while, but we’re planning to return in May. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lgdesign said:

Your little cottage sounds great... can you share the details?  Am thinking I would love to do the same thing you outlined.

It was 15 years ago so I don't remember the contact info although it was a local rental agency (pre Air B&B!).  It was directly on the beach known as the Pipeline and the distinctive thing about it was that it was decorated in a Christmas motif year round.  It might have been called the Christmas Cottage but not sure on the name. 

• Like 1

You are on the starboard side and should be on the port - well - - -

Remedy - go to one of the highest decks and watch with the crowds of others -

walk to the stern (aft) of the ship and around to the starboard side to see the

Cliffs of Na Pali and the coast from a slightly more distant view.

All I have seen reported here is the same ole same ole starboard turn -

WHY couldn't the POA do a full circle (like the Alaska Glacier viewing) or

make a port side turn instead ?

After viewing the Na Pali coast all that is left in the cruise is the night passage to

the home port and end of the cruise at Honolulu.

A leisure putt putt all night - - - - -  WHY the rush to getter over and done with ?