Decorating your door

guy+doll

9 hours ago, guy+doll said:

Does Holland America allow you to decorate your cabin door?

Howdy @guy+doll emo22.gif

Thank you for your thread titled Decorating your door on the Ask a Cruise Question forum.  However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your question is in regard to a specific cruise line. 

To help you out, I have moved your thread to the Holland America Line forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed HAL frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Be sure you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread where you are interested in future replies. You will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts on this thread because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo49.gif See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

I usually tape an 8X10 picture of the logo of my favorite football team, the Seattle Seahawks on my door and I have never been asked to move it.  Of course we haven't cruised for two years so the rules may have changed.  It is handy to be able to see your cabin door when you are still a few doors away from it.  If I have to remove it, no big deal.  

Ray

• Like 2

I have always put some kind of decoration on the door during a holiday cruise. I attach it with a couple of small strips of duct tape on the back of it, which is easily removed without leaving residue on the door. It's always a flat felt-like figure, not more than 15 inches in length or width (a pumpkin, or an elf, or bunny, etc.) which I buy at a Dollar Tree. I've never been asked to remove it, and it has never been removed by the crew. Should I learn it's against the rules, I won't do it again!

• Like 1

In February, my friend decorated my door for my birthday without a problem.  It was fun having everyone on my floor wish me a happy birthday.  

I saw a view other doors with generic "stick on" decorations, probably to help them easily identify their room.

On our Koningsdam cruise earlier this month someone near our stateroom decorated their door with some stick-ons. About two days into the voyage I noticed that the decorations were removed. It could be that they were prohibited. Otherwise, not sure why a passenger would remove their own stickers part way through the cruise.

Last year on a cruise a magician used small paper butterflies in an illusion that were left all over the front of the theater.

I gathered up a handful and added one each day of the cruise to our cabin door as a total number of days on board count.

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Our last cruises in 2019 (before Covid-era) it was prohibited on ms Rotterdam. If I remember well it was for security reasons. 

There was also talk about them being fire hazards. But then looking at other cruise line photo, "door decorations" got totally out of control and were streaming all over the corridors. HAL ones tend to be more discrete. Not a big fan of them,  but must admit we use others door decorations to identify our own undecorated door. Three doors down from the balloons.

• Haha 1

I have always posted the old CC door sign with my screen name.  It's in a plastic sheet protector and I use blue painter's tape to affix it to the door.  So far I have never been asked to take it down.  I'll be on Kdam again in two days so we'll see.

And before anyone asks....no, the downloadable CC door sign has not been available on this board in many years.  Don't know why they discontinued it. 

We find it really helpful when some doors are (reasonably) decorated to help us find our way to our cabin early in each cruise. Especially when entire corridors are closed and traffic rerouted for quarantine sections of deck.

(I’m also a fan when carpets are slightly different colors and patterns for port/starboard… and when there are pieces of art at each doorway leading from an elevator bank.)

On the ‘20 ill fated WC door decorations were prohibited on the Amsterdam for what was a new fire prevention  protocol from Seattle. I believe we actually rec’d a note from the Captain regarding the change.

Perhaps things have loosened up since that time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Be well.

Bob

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beef8066 said:

I plan to hang my door sign and my bucket of candy for our Panama Canal cruise in April.  Since it is around Easter.  I will have an Easter themed bucket. 20220211_153729.thumb.jpg.ec0fedad1b557d4b52ac3ab071c3ec53.jpg

I have observed a similar guest friendly decoration during some Christmas cruises.