COVID on QE

rakkor

21 minutes ago, rakkor said:

They are, getting people to wear them correctly is a different matter, some people think noses are optional

An elderly lady berated another customer in the supermarket the other day for leaning over her whilst not wearing a mask.  I had to smile as the complaining lady was wearing hers, around her chin so I know what you mean. 🙂

The web site doesn't include lifts in mandatory masked areas so good news that passengers have to wear them in such a small enclosed area.

I won't have to practice holding my breath for future lift experiences! 🙂

34 minutes ago, rakkor said:

I just put the dinner trays out after a surprisingly nice Gala dinner and Jane wasn't lying about the number of trays outside rooms, it looks like all on this section are occupied. When I say surprisingly nice I mean, lying in your sickbed doesn't lend itself to enjoying a three course dinner.

How many cabins in your section and is this the only section being used?

48 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How many cabins in your section and is this the only section being used?

I can't tell we aren't allowed to go wandering around, but I think all the BBs (purple) are in use for quarantine and as the C lift access doors are closed probably everything back of there on 6 - We're in 6138

665050733_Screenshot2022-03-2722_46_00.png.2c6c25394b096ba142179bcb0644327a.png

Edited by rakkor

8 minutes ago, rakkor said:

I can't tell we aren't allowed to go wandering around, but I think all the BBs (purple) are in use for quarantine and as the C lift access doors are closed probably everything back of there on 6 - We're in 6138

665050733_Screenshot2022-03-2722_46_00.png.2c6c25394b096ba142179bcb0644327a.png

So there is like 26 cabins being used so if all are in use then at least 26 to 52 people are in isolation.

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

So there is like 26 cabins being used so if all are in use then at least 26 to 52 people are in isolation.

I think there are probably more available, more decks - When we were on QE in August the C lift doors were closed off on 5 & 6 which implies that there are more available. 

4 hours ago, rakkor said:

Well, well - Jane's second test has come back negative and the sore throat and cough are all an act to garner sympathy.

She deserves a bloody medal.  This has brought up the interesting question if, given the choice, I'd quarantine with my partner if he tested positive on board. That would be an absolutely no from me LOL 

• Haha 2

If Jane's test was actually negative yesterday, then she's doing a damned good impression of someone with Covid, she was coughing all last night. I think she is going to use one of her LFTs later to confirm.

42 minutes ago, rakkor said:

If Jane's test was actually negative yesterday, then she's doing a damned good impression of someone with Covid, she was coughing all last night. I think she is going to use one of her LFTs later to confirm.

The lack of air in the ship, especially in the cabins, seems worse than usual. This may be due to being an artic cruise and the decks and balconies being out of use for a significant part of the cruise. It has left me with the driest of throats every day when I wake up so I really really feel for @rakkorcombined to quarters. At least we are in port today and balconies can be opened safely. 
Hang on in there, only 2 days for you to go.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Now I can't see it, but Jane is convinced there is a very very faint T line, so it may be she's infected but not shedding very much virus yet.

I finally got around to updating my blog (https://blog.rakkor.uk) with a lot of moaning, mainly about the Purser's desk.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Or the dreaded Cunard cough, hope she's feeling better soon and you're still doing OK.

Hopefully you can use your balcony and there's something of interest to see in port.

Jane was out earlier having a chat with a couple of balconies to our left, they are very organised, getting dressed and everything. They are newbies, only been here since Saturday. 

image1.thumb.jpeg.abdea189fb533e183f44b30ac3f22ccf.jpeg

The view isn't brilliant

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

Jane's LFT is negative so it looks like sneezy has a cold.

Ok so if Jane is negative, still negative how can they be sure you are positive? I find it hard to believe that she wouldn't have caught it from you after 3 or 4 days in the same cabin even if you are wearing the mask the entire time? Could your tests have been incorrect? Or could her's be incorrect? A scary though either way.

Edited by ace2542

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Ok so if Jane is negative, still negative how can they be sure you are positive? I find it hard to believe that she wouldn't have caught it from after 3 or 4 days in the same cabin even if you are wearing the mask the entire time? Could your tests have been incorrect?

It’s common, especially with Omicron, that one can test positive and the other negative - it depends on each individual’s immunity status. However, having spoken to Jane throughout this cruise I too am surprised she has stayed negative as she falls into the category of having been very careful in the past (due to Jim’s situation) so she is likely to be relying purely on vaccine immunity.

Basically she is obviously made of sterner stuff than most of us (including Jim) and/or the virus doesn’t want to mess with her because it has heard of her tenacity!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

It’s common, especially with Omicron, that one can test positive and the other negative - it depends on each individual’s immunity status

If they are both fully/triple vaxed or boosted or whatever the phrase is shouldn't they be in the same or very similar boats in terms of the immunity? And is it Omicron or Deltacron? Surely on the ship they can't sequence for the variant?

Edited by ace2542

21 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

If they are both fully/triple vaxed or boosted or whatever the phrase is shouldn't they be in the same or very similar boats in terms of the immunity? And is it Omicron or Deltacron? Surely on the ship they can't sequence for the variant?

I was just pointing out that for couples it is not a given that if 1 person gets it the other will especially with whatever Omicron is around now. It is almost definitely Omicron variant as that is rife around UK and many other countries now. Of course only sequencing will tell for sure and that is not happening but I was under the impression that the UK was almost all Omicron now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Immune responses are fickle. Just because two people have had the same virus protections,  the same results/reactions are not a given.

Rakkor has been laid low recently and one never knows how his body has coped with that as far as the little fighter cells are concerned.

Omicron, Deltacron or Cunardicron, it's a nuisance. 

• Like 2

Just for the record, my eldest grandson (13) brought the virus back home from his boarding school and infected his mother and two younger brothers. His dad, my son, did not succumb.

Why some get it whilst others don't is one of life's mysteries.

41 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Just for the record, my eldest grandson (13) brought the virus back home from his boarding school and infected his mother and two younger brothers. His dad, my son, did not succumb.

Yes. My son, who lives in Marseille and has a wife and two littles, was the only member of his household not to contract it. May he remain healthy!

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Immune responses are fickle. Just because two people have had the same virus protections,  the same results/reactions are not a given.

Rakkor has been laid low recently and one never knows how his body has coped with that as far as the little fighter cells are concerned.

Omicron, Deltacron or Cunardicron, it's a nuisance. 

Cunardicron! Great name for the "cruise cough," which I have caught a few times. 

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Everyone's immune response to the vaccine is different, producing varied levels of immunity. The good news is that rakkor's symptoms are mild. (I decline to comment on his suggestion that Jane's sniffles are an attempt to garner sympathy)