O needs to up their game on solo travel

YoPhilly

56 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

OK here are some actual numbers for a Vista Solo Concierge cabin compared to twice the price of an A4 (which is a bit of an over estimation because 100% single supplement does not equate to exactly double).

My 20 day 23 September 2024 cruise cost 14,000 compared to 23,000. (round nums) for twice the price of an A4.

So the savings in this case are pretty significant.

Where do you see the solo pricing for Vista? I can't find it on the website. Thanks.

I checked out fares for a May 11 2024 cruise on the Vista in several categories with interesting outcomes.

The solo deck 9 cabin cruise only with Olife credit is $7009. The A4 cabin with 100% single supplement is $8200 a difference of $1200. However, a B4 with balcony with single 100% single supplemt is $7608. For another $600 I would rather be in a larger cabin although not on a concierge floor although this is not for everyone. On this 11 day cruise the solo cabin is about 17% cheaper than a A4.

48 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

PS. My deposit is $1,500 - twice the per person deposit. 🤨

Maybe because the cruise  consists of  a B2B   so the charge a deposit for both  or maybe because it is  a Grand Voyage

I seem to recall that they charge more for the deposits 

but I could be dreaming LOL

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

PS. My deposit is $1,500 - twice the per person deposit. 🤨

T & C's

Oceania Suites and $750 for all other suite/stateroom categories; for Grand Voyages the per person deposit is $1,500. Bookings made more than 120 days from sailing are required to deposit 20% of the applicable cruise fare for Owner's, Vista, and Oceania Suites and $750 for all other suite/stateroom categories within 7 days of booking.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

2 hours ago, TERRIER1 said:

I checked out fares for a May 11 2024 cruise on the Vista in several categories with interesting outcomes.

The solo deck 9 cabin cruise only with Olife credit is $7009. The A4 cabin with 100% single supplement is $8200 a difference of $1200. However, a B4 with balcony with single 100% single supplemt is $7608. For another $600 I would rather be in a larger cabin although not on a concierge floor although this is not for everyone. On this 11 day cruise the solo cabin is about 17% cheaper than a A4.

This is more in line with what my impression had been previously. Perhaps I need to review and confirm or revise what my TA has told me.

Now that we have a copy of the hold confirmation for my 23 September 2024 Vista itinerary Lisbon to Venice 20-day cruise, I have been able to drop the $600 OBC and add round-trip coach air RT out of Austin. Those modifications bring my total invoice price for the solo Concierge state room (9128 aft) to $14,500. 
in November 2021 when I was on the Riviera transAtlantic Rome to Miami, there were five or six hosted solo cruiser get together‘s (included wine at dinner). Alcohol provided by O.
During that 16 day cruise, I used corkage fees to consume wine I purchased on shore, along with perhaps one double cocktail purchased daily during happy hour. Didn’t need a beverage package.

At $725 per day, it’s still a lot of moolah! Plus probably private excursions. Excited!

18 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Now that we have a copy of the hold confirmation for my 23 September 2024 Vista itinerary Lisbon to Venice 20-day cruise, I have been able to drop the $600 OBC and add round-trip coach air RT out of Austin. Those modifications bring my total invoice price for the solo Concierge state room (9128 aft) to $14,500. 
in November 2021 when I was on the Riviera transAtlantic Rome to Miami, there were five or six hosted solo cruiser get together‘s (included wine at dinner). Alcohol provided by O.
During that 16 day cruise, I used corkage fees to consume wine I purchased on shore, along with perhaps one double cocktail purchased daily during happy hour. Didn’t need a beverage package.

At $725 per day, it’s still a lot of moolah! Plus probably private excursions. Excited!

Your Sept 2024 cruise sounds wonderful!

I booked my cabins before looking at the solo cabins on Vista. These beds don't look like they will work for anyone tall.  On the one side you have a wall, and at the foot of the bed, you have a closet.  

solo cabin.png

solo cabin.png

Edited by basenji56

As I said, I had booked the solo cabin on three Vista cruises.  Two transatlantics and one ten day Caribbean.  All in 2024.

The O life credit for the solo rooms was $300 for the Caribbean and $400 for the TAs.

When I saw how small and cramped the solo bed was, I asked my travel agent to rebook to a B2 veranda.

Now my O Life credit was doubled--to $600 and $800 for the TAs.

The difference in prices, after considering the increased O Life credit, was only $600 more for the Caribbean and $800 more for the TAs.

To me, that extra price was worth it for having a large bed.  

I like the idea of the solo cabins but if think Oceania needs to reprice them.

A 10 percent discount is not enough for a bed like that.

But if you are looking for a solo veranda on these sailings, my cabin is now available.

Edited by basenji56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

As I said, I had booked the solo cabin on three Vista cruises.  Two transatlantics and one ten day Caribbean.  All in 2024.

The O life credit for the solo rooms was $300 for the Caribbean and $400 for the TAs.

When I saw how small and cramped the solo bed was, I asked my travel agent to rebook to a B2 veranda.

Now my O Life credit was doubled--to $600 and $800 for the TAs.

The difference in prices, after considering the increased O Life credit, was only $600 more for the Caribbean and $800 more for the TAs.

To me, that extra price was worth it for having a large bed.  

I like the idea of the solo cabins but if think Oceania needs to reprice them.

A 10 percent discount is not enough for a bed like that.

But if you are looking for a solo veranda on these sailings, my cabin is now available.

On the cruise I was looking at the savings was about 15% and not worth the tiny room.

• Like 1

I booked a 20-day Solo Concierge stateroom. I’ll try it once and then decide. I had forgotten how small the bed was. Not looking forward to that. We’ll see…

Basenji56, if you drop what you are calling Olife credit, your invoice is reduced by that same amount. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

5 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I booked a 20-day Solo Concierge stateroom. I’ll try it once and then decide. I had forgotten how small the bed was. Not looking forward to that. We’ll see…

Basenji56, if you drop what you are calling Olife credit, your invoice is reduced by that same amount. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

Yes, I understand that. I have used the money to book excursions so it’s a wash. There is an air credit included too which I may use or may drop. 

4 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Yes, I understand that. I have used the money to book excursions so it’s a wash. There is an air credit included too which I may use or may drop. 

It is actually a missed opportunity to leverage your money by not choosing to pick the excursions.  

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

It is actually a missed opportunity to leverage your money by not choosing to pick the excursions.  

It’s possible he is selecting which excursions to purchase…..

But, do you mean instead he should be selecting olife? Selecting Olife does not make sense for solo cruisers as solo cruisers only receive half of the excursion allotment compared to two passengers in a state room.

24 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

But, do you mean instead he should be selecting olife? Selecting Olife does not make sense for solo cruisers as solo cruisers only receive half of the excursion allotment compared to two passengers in a state room.

Hi Robin,

On the Riviera TA I was with you, plus 2 future bookings, I got the full Olife when in a double cabin.

Also the excursion Olife is a good deal with a port intensive cruise as you can go up to $199 excursions. Plus they count towards the 25% discount if you can meet the number threshold.

Don

44 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

When I had booked a solo cabin, I got half of the allotment.  When I changed to a two passenger stateroom, I got double the amount.  $800.  Almost enough to buy the unlimited shore excursion package which I have found to be a fairly good value.  Yes, I know I am paying for it in the price.  But somehow it makes it easier to buy the package since it is with money you need to spend anyway.

7 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

It sounds like the non-refundable credit he is referring to is the OLife credit, which is simply money he has handed Oceania that they hold and don't return if he doesn't use it.  If he is buying excursions at least he can leverage that same amount by up to double unless I'm missing something here, which is possible since I'm not a solo traveler. 

No, I am referring to the O life excursion package as the selected benefit. Each pax is given a specific number of free excursions (up to $199 price). 
my experience has been that I received half of the number of excursions per stateroom even though I was paying a 100% single supplement. Perhaps it will be different going forward, or perhaps my TA did not get a good deal for me in the past. It would be interesting to know whether other solo passengers are allotted the same number of total excursions as a state room occupied by two pax (double occupancy).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StoryMag said:

Speaking of Solo, are there dance hosts on Oceania? Eyeing Vista for next year. looks lovely!

Not sure what a dance host is. I traveled solo on Riviera last November and had a great experience. Cristina Hill was our social director and she did a great job organizing and hosting frequent solo get-togethers and dinners (alcohol provided). We had a big group (always about 15 or so). 
Unrelated, whenever I went to Horizons after the show ended, there was a band playing and about 5 entertainment staff (?) along with Cristina dancing, presumably to entice others to join the fun. I often (as well as others) danced by myself….lots of couples also dancing. 
I had a great time on my first solo cruise on O! I booked a solo stateroom on Vista in 2024.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Not sure what a dance host is.

On HAL they had solo men that would sign up to  dance with the solo lady travellers

I believe they go some sort of discount or stipend