O needs to up their game on solo travel

YoPhilly

I don’t want to sound harsh but I don’t think Oceania is making this a priority right now.  The Oceania Club Ambassador of the cruise I was just on said in her presentation that the hardest part of her job these days is getting people booked on cruises because so many of them are sold out. 

We’ve been on the wait list for a year for a cruise later this year. We’re looking at another one for next year that is already sold out. There might be some good opportunities for solo travelers but don’t be too picky about which cruise you want to be on. 
Just My Observation. 

• Like 3

Robin, greetings and you say it so eloquently. Bonnie and I were there with you as Bruce hosted the TA Meet and Greet. I can agree, demand and a lack of need to discount to Singles is pretty much right on.  We saw the Solos gatherings in all the restaurants, especially in the GDR.  O goes out of their way to make all guests have a wonderful experience. 
We spent 46 days on Riviera with the last 16 sailing with a Full ship on the TA. PHDiva/Robin is 100% correct. 
There are Solo discounts offered on some cruises and they are published and some Travel Agents are able to offer some special pricing so we are back to, get a GOOD TA! The guest mix is always a draw for us and we have enjoyed joining Solo travelers in every possible venue, tour, restaurant or activity. 
With the cruise lines doing all they can to get back to profitability, I don’t see Oceania focusing on the Solo traveler. IMHO, Couples $pend more than Singles on a cruise. While Vista will have a limited number of Solo Staterooms, a solo traveling friend of ours booked a little lesser veranda room and the price was about comparable to the Solo Stateroom. That said, if she decides to bring along a friend, she will be able make that accommodation as opposed to cancelling a Sold Out trip because she booked a Solo Stateroom and could not include a friend. We all have options for our decisions. 

Most important, keep enjoying your cruises and Oceania.

Mauibabes, Bonnie and Gerry

• Like 2

It’s true. Just received advice from O that because I am travelling solo in a Cat. E cabin for my Regatta Tokyo to Hong Kong in October, my fare will be reclassified as they are reclassifying all E cabins to solo cabins and pricing accordingly. Woo hoo!!! Not sure of $s saved but all will be revealed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

It’s true. Just received advice from O that because I am travelling solo in a Cat. E cabin for my Regatta Tokyo to Hong Kong in October, my fare will be reclassified as they are reclassifying all E cabins to solo cabins and pricing accordingly. Woo hoo!!! Not sure of $s saved but all will be revealed.

That's great, well done you!  I just had a look at a few cruises and all the E categories are waitlisted so it looks like the E cabins are now quarantined until April 11th.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

My Riveria cruise in the Med in August is now under the "special" single supplement cruises, but yet the same price as I booked?

What cruise  & what cabin cat did you book?

Looking at the  2 Aug cruises only A & B cabins are included in the SS deal 

If you are booked in those  then ask for the SS deal

I would call or have your TA call do not go by the website price

I do not think they "added" the cabins  they were there  just re marketed them for solo cruisers

Which  they should have done long ago

Many times the guest entertainers were in the E cabins  & they are fine for solo pax

It will be interesting to see what the prices they will charge  for them

JMO

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 10:31 PM, LHT28 said:

What cruise  & what cabin cat did you book?

Looking at the  2 Aug cruises only A & B cabins are included in the SS deal 

If you are booked in those  then ask for the SS deal

I would call or have your TA call do not go by the website price

How do you know what categories and price without calling O?

1 minute ago, Dwtlion said:

How do you know what categories and price without calling O?

When you click on the cruise   go to  Special offers in the heading  then  a page pops up to show you the discount rate & cabin Cat

image.thumb.png.796cba2f1c5482d73e4ed80650b20093.png

On 3/30/2022 at 7:47 PM, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Great!

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 7:47 AM, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Just received advice from O that my fare has been reduced by $401AUD as a result of the reclassification to solo fares. $401!!!! What a joke! They should be ashamed of themselves. So instead of paying for 2 full price fares as a solo traveller I now pay $401 less with the new single traveller fare. What an absolute rip-off.

6 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Just received advice from O that my fare has been reduced by $401AUD as a result of the reclassification to solo fares. $401!!!! What a joke! They should be ashamed of themselves. So instead of paying for 2 full price fares as a solo traveller I now pay $401 less with the new single traveller fare. What an absolute rip-off.

Would you rather pay the 401 more? Looks like you were ok booking at that price. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

This is also my impression of the Solo pricing. Not a big savings…….

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

why did you book at the regular price ?

Surely there are other lines that work better for solo pricing??

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Would you rather pay the 401 more? Looks like you were ok booking at that price. 

Of course I was ok with paying for 2 originally but when O come out and make a big deal of new solo pricing and then offer a 4% discount, you can’t help but feel a little let down. It seems a bit puny. And the promotion of new solo cabins is disingenuous. 

Edited by DeanoNorthPerth
  • Like 2

Was their big announcement about solo pricing or solo cabins? Just because they now have special cabins for solo travelers doesn’t seem to mean the pricing will be much better. 

OK here are some actual numbers for a Vista Solo Concierge cabin compared to twice the price of an A4 (which is a bit of an over estimation because 100% single supplement does not equate to exactly double).

My 20 day 23 September 2024 cruise cost 14,000 compared to 23,000. (round nums) for twice the price of an A4.

So the savings in this case are pretty significant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1