O needs to up their game on solo travel

YoPhilly

I recently bit the bullet and booked a 200% cruise fare as a solo.  I know, I know - my decision.  But I’m disappointed that I get no grace at all for the invisible second person.  I asked if I could get any extra specialty reservations, and the answer was a solid No - even sharing a table.  C’mon, O.  There are a ton of solos (sp?) out there, willing and able to cruise.  I’ve agreed to pay 200% of the cruise fare.  How hard is it to throw in one perk!

• Like 5

Pssst. Here’s a secret my O friends won’t want me to tell you. Sister cruiseline Regent has a long list of reduced single supplement fares currently available with sailing dates up close and far in the future. I booked a SA/Antartica cruise w 25% supplement sailing February 2024.

The list of O itins w reduced single supplement is shorter, currently about 18 itins available and they tend to be sailings departing over next several months.

Let’s start a petition for O to improve their solo pricing! 
Once onboard my first O cruise as a solo, I had a great time. On Riviera, Solo hostess Cristina Hill did a great job hosting multiple, frequent solo get togethers and dinners (alcohol provided by O). We had a big group, about 15+, each time!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Pssst. Here’s a secret my O friends won’t want me to tell you. Sister cruiseline Regent has a long list of reduced single supplement fares currently available with sailing dates up close and far in the future. I booked a SA/Antartica cruise w 25% supplement sailing February 2024.

The list of O itins w reduced single supplement is shorter, currently about 18 itins available and they tend to be sailings departing over next several months.

Let’s start a petition for O to improve their solo pricing! 
Once onboard my first O cruise as a solo, I had a great time. On Riviera, Solo hostess Cristina Hill did a great job hosting multiple, frequent solo get togethers and dinners (alcohol provided by O). We had a big group, about 15+, each time!

Thanks, Diva.  There’s a huge market of people (mostly women) who, for one reason or another, travel solo.  O could do more to tap into that market, hence the pricey solo cabins on Vista.

• Like 2

The least 'O' could do, as well as NCL, would be to offer those solo traveler's paying full cabin price for two, double loyalty points.  RCCL does this.  It really wouldn't cost any more to offer that, and would help keep customer's 'loyal'....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

...There’s a huge market of people (mostly women) who, for one reason or another, travel solo. ...

Here are two for the USA: (1) majority of divorces, about 2/3rd, filed by women. And (2) see the different mortality rates for the sexes. So when you get into the 70s and 80s, age wise, more women than men and far more single women (e.g., widows) than single men (e.g., widowers). Check out the sex ratio in nursing homes. Not sure how "huge" the market is for solo travelers, as opposed to singles (non-married) travelling with a significant others, for example. The laws of "physics" in regard to rooms means that a solo traveler is still taking up more than 50% of a standard room cut in half, needing their own toilet, shower and/or bath tub, for example.

If Oceania is selling out the vast majority of their future cruises double occupancy, what should be their motivation to give discounts for single occupancy? 

For hard to sell cruises, Oceania already does price reductions, additional perks, silent sales, and yes sometimes single occupancy reductions. On highly sold popular cruises one should expect none of the above.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

...I’m just sayin’… they’re missing a big demographic.

Can you give us some actual data supporting that "big demographic" claim for cruising? The issue is purely one of solo travelers, someone traveling by him or herself, as opposed to the demographics of single (unmarried) people traveling together, for example. The rise of the large cohabitating demographic. Can't say I've seen any data on, "How likely are you to cruise as a single person by yourself? And how much would you be willing to pay for it?" The one single person I met on Riviera and interacted with significantly was recently widowed, and, IIRC, her husband had passed after they'd signed up. 

45 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

I get it.  I really do.  I’m just sayin’… they’re missing a big demographic.

That they really dont want when they can fill their SMALL ships with doubles RCCL has so many more cabins to fill they want to attract singles..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

My TA is a widow and has been for quite a number of years. Part of her business is putting together groups of primarily other widows and/or divorcées , thus creating the double occupancies. She’s had groups of near 40 on Oceania sailings in the past. 

These sailings likewise give those women the opportunity to meet others with which they may choose to sail with on independent future sailings, thus creating more future work for her. Other TA do a similar thing. 

Perhaps an exploration of options, besides just sailing alone, should be considered.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Can you give us some actual data supporting that "big demographic" claim for cruising? The issue is purely one of solo travelers, someone traveling by him or herself, as opposed to the demographics of single (unmarried) people traveling together, for example. 

Please...I'm not a bean counter nor a census taker.  I'm a married woman whose husband doesn't enjoy traveling as much as I do.  I've traveled by myself all over the world by land, and I belong to several online solo travel sites where we discuss experiences, suggestions and tips - I haven't counted how many people participate; I just know there are a lot - and they all express dismay about single supplements at hotels and on ships.  Clearly, Oceania doesn't NEED any solo business - they're doing just fine without it (ex-COVID).  Again, yes, it's my decision to use my FCCs to pay 200% - and I'm happy to cruise O again.  I'm just saying that they're leaving a potential cohort on the table, so to speak, and that may align with their strategy.  I'm simply pointing out the gap based on my own observations.  Don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bob brown said:

The least 'O' could do, as well as NCL, would be to offer those solo traveler's paying full cabin price for two, double loyalty points.  RCCL does this.  It really wouldn't cost any more to offer that, and would help keep customer's 'loyal'....

Bob, I don't completely disagree with you, but, it would cost them more in the long run. With double loyalty points they would have to be giving a free cruise at ten cruises, cover grats sooner, give more OBC, provide the free deviation sooner, give the spa credit sooner. That is a consideration for them. 

3 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Please...I'm not a bean counter nor a census taker.  I'm a married woman whose husband doesn't enjoy traveling as much as I do.  I've traveled by myself all over the world by land, and I belong to several online solo travel sites where we discuss experiences, suggestions and tips - I haven't counted how many people participate; I just know there are a lot - and they all express dismay about single supplements at hotels and on ships.  Clearly, Oceania doesn't NEED any solo business - they're doing just fine without it (ex-COVID).  Again, yes, it's my decision to use my FCCs to pay 200% - and I'm happy to cruise O again.  I'm just saying that they're leaving a potential cohort on the table, so to speak, and that may align with their strategy.  I'm simply pointing out the gap based on my own observations.  Don't shoot the messenger.

They did put in the solo cabins in Vista, on the other hand I've heard pretty high prices for those cabins. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Please...I'm not a bean counter nor a census taker. ... Don't shoot the messenger.

So in the absence of data, why make sweeping claims about "a big demographic"? Just saying. Obviously, you'd like lower prices and better availability for your solo travel. Fair enough, but that's not analysis of economic or business cruising issues. And this MBA and former USAF intelligence analyst with TS/SCI clearance loved counting, beans and other things. Data driven analysis. Though sounds like some entrepreneur might create something designed to get interested & compatible "solo cruisers" to cruise in pairs to travel economically?

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

There is a small list of select cruise with reduced SS

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/single-supplement/

just depends if they suit your  needs/wants

We always see  quite a few solo cruisers on O 

Darn, the cruise I just booked a few weeks ago is now listed for a reduced single supplement.

My partner & I were avid "O" cruisers & whilst I have one last cruise booked on Insignia with friends (last one my partner & I booked together) I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling solo with my favourite line they are very much a couples line.  As previously mentioned they just don't need to market to us.  It has been a tough decision but I've a transatlantic booked with Cunard & a trip with Azamara, both with bigger numbers of solos travelling with them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, comcox said:

Darn, the cruise I just booked a few weeks ago is now listed for a reduced single supplement.

Call your TA and have them reprice with the SS price if your cabin category is still available.  If it's not, then you can always change cabin category to one that's available at the SS price.  If you're booking an OC or above then there is no SS price offered on those.  I've changed bookings in the past from A category to PH category and saved money in the process doing so. 

As to the subject of this thread:

1) Pent up demand is high with cruising returning and Covid waning, along with too many FCCs to count, so cruises are running full or close to few with number of SS cruises being very few.  O is only going to offer SS fares if they need to sell cabins.  Usually only offered 6-9 months out.

2) I travel solo quite often but instead of booking a PH or A category, often book an OC or higher with a friend which is the same price as booking the aforementioned as a solo. OCs are very conducive to adding a roll away bed in the entertainment room (or soon on Vista the optional 2nd bedroom) for each of us to have our own sleeping area and we rotate who has the bedroom every 3-6 days depending on the length of the cruise.  Two bathrooms, full size dining table, living room, more specialty reservations, etc and just much nicer IMO.

3) If you're interested in a popular cruise and don't want to share a large suite, then you have to cough up double occupancy price which I've done a couple times; and once on a TA upgraded to an OC on an upfare offer shortly before cruise departure.

4) O offers SS prices to sell as of yet unsold cabins in order to make more money, not to be nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LaCroisiereS'amuse said:

My partner & I were avid "O" cruisers & whilst I have one last cruise booked on Insignia with friends (last one my partner & I booked together) I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling solo with my favourite line they are very much a couples line.  As previously mentioned they just don't need to market to us.  It has been a tough decision but I've a transatlantic booked with Cunard & a trip with Azamara, both with bigger numbers of solos travelling with them.

I have to strongly disagree that O is v much a couples line. I was on Riviera’s TA last November, Rome to Miami and O organized a large group of solos. The very first night there was a hosted get together for the solos, followed by an invitation to eat dinner together for anyone who wished to. Cristina Hill was our social director and she did a great job! We had a real great group of people about 15 or so who would come to every hosted get together. On the 16 (?) day voyage there were five or six hosted get togethers. Alcohol was provided at each get together and two bottles of wine were provided for each table of 4 to 6 at dinner. We had a great time and I made some good friends.

On that cruise, we were allowed to host a cruisecritic Meet & Greet, which also really helps to meet people active on the roll call. I got invitations to join others to do things, as they recognized me from the M&G.

Give O a chance! As you know, the pax are the real draw on O! (Also the food, the ship, the food, the itins, did I mention the food?).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ORV said:

Bob, I don't completely disagree with you, but, it would cost them more in the long run. With double loyalty points they would have to be giving a free cruise at ten cruises, cover grats sooner, give more OBC, provide the free deviation sooner, give the spa credit sooner. That is a consideration for them. 

Good points.  However, they would only have to provide around half the food they usually provide.  Not sure if that alone would account for the difference, but extra business from solo's attracted by the double loyalty points that might not go, or go with other lines might help equalize things in the long run.🤷‍♀️

6 hours ago, comcox said:

If you are sailing solo then call your TA or O & get the new pricing