Nervous about capacity

Tntt

15 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Before you start another round of hallelujahs, do note that the Ruby Princess has had a bad outbreak. From yesterday...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840607-covid-outbreak-on-the-ruby/

Today, the thread's OP reported that he was positive and moved to quarantine. In addition, Sky Princess has also instituted N95 mask requirement. Lots of regrets. Hope that the government doesn't require a mandatory disembarkation test. ☹️

Just read the entire thread on the Princess forum, seems like the perfect excuse for the CDC to tighten their grip on the cruise industry again 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Where? Specific food location would be helpful and appreciated. I've seen one other report of this but it was a specific type of dish and I don't want to spread FUD. I'm sure many of us would love for you to extrapolate on circumstances. No covid is a positive metric. 

No specific location. You still can’t  Serve yourself. People using bathroom and not washing hands.You can catch it from touching other surfaces the touching your  mouth or eyes, or eating food with your hands before washing them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Just read the entire thread on the Princess forum, seems like the perfect excuse for the CDC to tighten their grip on the cruise industry again 🤦‍♂️

Or, people should stay home if they are so afraid? Everybody got choices, like the scholar E40 says. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

I've read the entire princess thread as well, and context matters. It seems that less than 40 people tested positive out of over 1500 not including the crew.  Hardly indicative of anything other than people coming into close contact with someone who was asymptomatic...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That is merely an opinion.😉

Yes, just like 90% of the posts here. But read about Wonders over staffing, where those on first cruise were told by staff that they were moved there to make sure the evaluations were positive. (Read Bernies live cruise review.)

2 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

You misunderstand the relationship between the CDC and the cruise industry. 

The industry has voluntarily opted into the CDC program, and the CDC is monitoring the situation. Reporting the status of each ship on the color coded system, while providing guidance.

Its the responsibility of the cruise companies to get the covid situation under control on their ships. In December, the CDC stepped in and  issued a No-Cruise Advisory because the industry situation was out of control. For example, RCI used 4 ships as Q hotels just for their crew.

The covid situation on the Ruby princess was so alarming that Princess slammed on the brakes 2 days before disembarkation. Requiring a N95 mask mandate. The thread's OP reported (Post 291) ...

"We made it to our hotel, but no real lockdown/quarantine just honest system I guess.

they gathered all of us early and my wife counted over 100 of us. Saw a port person from customs I suppose took a picture of the crowd.

if we had under 1600 onboard and 100 sick sent off then that’s a pretty high percentage.

As we were walking down aloha we heard someone call out from their state room the they were staying on for Hawaii…is that allowed? Maybe after their 5 days in quarantine they can go back on deck...."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840607-covid-outbreak-on-the-ruby/page/12/

That doesn't include the pax who didn't test onboard, but tested positive at home the day after disembarking (post 302).

IMHO, the CDC is playing a vital positive role during this pandemic. Its the industry's responsibility to find the winning combination of protocols to keep on cruising. That includes making decisions on the capacity at which they should be sailing. 

Edited by HappyInVan

2 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

I've read the entire princess thread as well, and context matters. It seems that less than 40 people tested positive out of over 1500 not including the crew.  Hardly indicative of anything other than people coming into close contact with someone who was asymptomatic...

Agree, thats also the numbers I heard.. At least not like in past where just exposure required Quarantine for 10-14 days. Wouldn't bother me Boarding that Ship on Turn around Day. I'd have no issues

3 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

Is this a joke/sarcasm, or are you serious? We are talking about a virus that used to be deadly but at this point is about as bad as the regular flu.

• Like 4

On 3/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

They do enforce the rule but usually you have to know that a chair has been vacant for over the allotted amount of time and tell an attendant. Ive only seen them monitoring the chairs themselves once. But I’ve seen peoples stuff moved by attendants almost every time I'm in a pool lounger.

What I find ridiculous is the people who sleep late, go work out and or have breakfast and then come to the pool and expect to find empty loungers. And just because there’s a towel on the chair and not a person the 2 seconds you see the chair doesn’t mean the person isn’t using the chair in accordance to the rules. They could be in the pool….

I took a vacation in Waikiki last year at the Sheraton. They had a strict system where the staff would go around periodically and place a card on each unoccupied chair with a time written on it (one hour later than the current time).

In order to "keep" your chair, you had to take the card back to the towel station within that hour (thereby proving you at least were visiting your chair once an hour). Otherwise, staff would go and clear the items off the chairs with "expired" time cards.

I thought it worked really well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, link99 said:

No specific location. You still can’t  Serve yourself. People using bathroom and not washing hands.You can catch it from touching other surfaces the touching your  mouth or eyes, or eating food with your hands before washing them

Are you thinking of covid or noro?

Covid is airborne Mainly.  So just being near someone masked or not for Omicron is causing issues.

Noro is very different.  Just a few microbes (that do live a very long time on surface and need 90% alcohol to kill) from fecal matter i.e. the hand washing warning.

Know the details to protect yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exm said:

Is this a joke/sarcasm, or are you serious? We are talking about a virus that used to be deadly but at this point is about as bad as the regular flu.

I think folks here are misunderstanding me, I didn't say I want the CDC to tighten restrictions. However knowing the CDC, I'm afraid any notable outbreaks could give them the excuse to tell cruiselines to tighten restrictions again, and the cruiselines would prob listen too. For example: if we get a few more Ruby Princess type incidents in the next few weeks. I'm 100% certain they'll ask to bring back mask mandates on cruises again. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

I think folks here are misunderstanding me, I didn't say I want the CDC to tighten restrictions. However knowing the CDC, I'm afraid any notable outbreaks could give them the excuse to tell cruiselines to tighten restrictions again, and the cruiselines would prob listen too. For example: if we get a few more Ruby Princess type incidents in the next few weeks. I'm 100% certain they'll ask to bring back mask mandates on cruises again. 

Got it.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:19 PM, Tntt said:

My cruise on independence  is showing sold out the last week of April, this will be our 1st  cruise back  since covid, I was thrilled that the ships were at reduced capacity but it seems RC has raised their capacities here lately. I am a little nervous rather or not the cruise is sold out due to reduced capacity or if it is 100% full. I know during spring break the ships were full but during my cruise dates spring breaks should be over and kids should be back in school. How can I found out independence of the seas capacity limits?

All ships are now allowed to sail at 100%.  The only reason they are less is because not enough booked to make it 100%  What are you afraid of?  All crew is vaccinated, and over 95% of passengers are, and everyone was tested before the trip.  

On 3/25/2022 at 1:48 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

I'm with ya on the 50% or less.

I've had 4 glorious low occupancy trips since Nov, but I'm afraid that the Golden Age of Cruising

(post - Covid edition) is soon over.

The 'Golden Age' ? How about the 'Covid Days' ?

I'm good w/ ships filling up. Life is finally getting back to normal and cruising just being one of the many things we have all missed. For those that desire a smaller crowd I'm pretty sure there are ships in the Royal line up that fits the bill. Now if we can only get passed the testing requirement then things will even be better. 

• Like 1

Part of the problem with the increased capacity is not enough crew.  When venues are closed, or late opening because of lack of manpower, that is a problem.  When shows don't go on, that is a problem.  When they have the same number of crew, but are now having to serve people in Windjammer, well that's taking them away from what they were doing before.  They need to add more crew to make the guest experience as good as pre-Covid if they want to have pre-Covid capacity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

People should be able to express concern without being told to cancel and stay home! Duh! Everyone knows that is a choice.

As a review, the Tntt (the OP) expressed concern about capacity.  I inquired of Tntt whether they would cancel if they knew their cruise would be at or near capacity.  (As an aside, I asked not to pass judgement but to understand to depth of Tntt’s concerns).  Tntt did not respond, but you did in the affirmative.  You said you would cancel under that circumstance; it is coming from you.  Also note, your response to my question was, in point of fact, was unsolicited, so please kindly stop complaining that other’s responses are also unsolicited.  We all share thoughts and opinions.  Use any advice, opinion or thought or disregard just it; it was freely given.  And have a lovely day.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

People should be able to express concern without being told to cancel and stay home! Duh! Everyone knows that is a choice.

Look... I don't care if you cruise or not. But the fact remains you have choices. Like the rest of the world things in the cruise industry is beginning to get back to normal. Cruise ships are getting back to a normal passenger levels. Thank God. So yes... either stay home or book a smaller cruise ship. Whether you want to hear this or experience this, these are your options.  Duh!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

As a review, the Tntt (the OP) expressed concern about capacity.  I inquired of Tntt whether they would cancel if they knew their cruise would be at or near capacity.  (As an aside, I asked not to pass judgement but to understand to depth of Tntt’s concerns).  Tntt did not respond, but you did in the affirmative.  You said you would cancel under that circumstance; it is coming from you.  Also note, your response to my question was, in point of fact, was unsolicited, so please kindly stop complaining that other’s responses are also unsolicited.  We all share thoughts and opinions.  Use any advice, opinion or thought or disregard just it; it was freely given.  And have a lovely day.

Thanks. I didn't realize the question was only asking for OP. And I thought it was "would you consider canceling..." But, that having been said, I still think anyone should be able to express an opinion without being told to "stay home, buy an RV, etc." Many posters seem to rush to jump on any any comment they do not agree with. This is supposed to be a forum to help each and answer questions -- not to attack. But I appreciate your opinion and am sorry if I angered you by responding to a question you posted to someone else. Thank you for explaining.

• Like 1