Nervous about capacity

Tntt

Before you start another round of hallelujahs, do note that the Ruby Princess has had a bad outbreak. From yesterday...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840607-covid-outbreak-on-the-ruby/

Today, the thread's OP reported that he was positive and moved to quarantine. In addition, Sky Princess has also instituted N95 mask requirement. Lots of regrets. Hope that the government doesn't require a mandatory disembarkation test. ☹️

8 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Before you start another round of hallelujahs, do note that the Ruby Princess has had a bad outbreak. From yesterday...

Today, the thread's OP reported that he was positive and moved to quarantine. In addition, Sky Princess has also instituted N95 mask requirement. Lots of regrets. Hope that the government doesn't require a mandatory disembarkation test. ☹️

Tests and masks. I am good with that.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:03 PM, CatLadyFemme said:

I feel this OP.  As someone who haha been isolating over two years and yet still got COVID (from my partner who works at a Starbucks) and is struggling with long COVID, I was hoping our cruise next month would be slightly less hectic to ease back into it (and was lucky enough to get my 4th just today due to my immune issues). We plan on masking indoors, though am guessing no one else will. 🤷🏻‍♀️

You will not be alone on masking indoors. I mask with a KN94 around the public areas of the ship. Most people don't, but plenty do. It's certainly not 99% unmasked. I have received zero negative comments or funny looks. I just feel more comfortable this way, at least for now. It's wonderful that numbers are down but I want to see that sustained over a longer period of time. It's not just Covid, I don't want the regular colds that are going around too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

People should be able to express concern without being told to cancel and stay home! Duh! Everyone knows that is a choice.

Sorry, we've listened to the Nervous Nellie's long enough.  

If you can't handle being back to the normal we didn't question three years ago, then go buy an RV where you can vacation socially distanced to your hearts desire.... or stay home.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Sorry, we've listened to the Nervous Nellie's long enough.  

If you can't handle being back to the normal we didn't question three years ago, then go buy an RV where you can vacation socially distanced to your hearts desire.... or stay home.  

So sweet!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Stupid Princess/Carnival corp. They helped start this whole thing in the Bay Area. Disembarking from the Grand Princess in SF and Oakland. And now dropping 1500 passengers with Covid+ in San Francisco. Interesting thread. It sounds like one from back in Dec. and Jan. during the omicron peak. :classic_rolleyes: And they are going to ruin it for everyone again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Well not to make small of it but "Bad" is total .3% of Passengers and Crew. Hit this number nite before passengers got off. CV will be around and active everywhere for while, there will be other Ships. Me I have 34 Days straight Cruising starting in 2wks, my Parents High Risk they will not Cruise but I'm taking my kids and Grand Daughter. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, link99 said:

Just off March 20- 26 Odyssey first full Capacity Cruise. 1000 kids. Had a blast. Noro popped up. No Covid related stuff as far as I know. Royal is back 100% Kids Sail Free offers out now.No going back unless Covid rates go up. Ware a mask if you want no one cares but 99-% are not.

Where? Specific food location would be helpful and appreciated. I've seen one other report of this but it was a specific type of dish and I don't want to spread FUD. I'm sure many of us would love for you to extrapolate on circumstances. No covid is a positive metric. 

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Well not to make small of it but "Bad" is total .3% of Passengers and Crew. Hit this number nite before passengers got off. CV will be around and active everywhere for while, there will be other Ships. Me I have 34 Days straight Cruising starting in 2wks, my Parents High Risk they will not Cruise but I'm taking my kids and Grand Daughter. 

Exactly, context matters. The same squawkers will go to an amusement park and not blink an eye or blame that large industrial park for cases, but will hold cruise lines to a much higher standard for existing. I simply don't understand those who pontificate against an industry they claim to love, for simply existing. It's no win in the end. They are no friends of ours. They are better off staying home or choosing another vacation option. Feigning ignorance and blaming is easier I guess.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What? 

5 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Exactly, context matters. The same squawkers will go to an amusement park and not blink an eye or blame that large industrial park for cases, but will hold cruise lines to a much higher standard for existing. I simply don't understand those who pontificate against an industry they claim to love, for simply existing. It's no win in the end. They are no friends of ours. They are better off staying home or choosing another vacation option. Feigning ignorance and blaming is easier I guess.  

What? :classic_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Stupid Princess/Carnival corp. They helped start this whole thing in the Bay Area. Disembarking from the Grand Princess in SF and Oakland. And now dropping 1500 passengers with Covid+ in San Francisco. Interesting thread. It sounds like one from back in Dec. and Jan. during the omicron peak. :classic_rolleyes: And they are going to ruin it for everyone again. 

Tell us more about how they held you at gun point and forced you on the ship! SF is such a clean and pristine city, how dare they! 😆There is no way you are from the bay if you really believe that. School us on NY, transplant!  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

Back on topic.

The issue today is what it would take to return to full capacity? Would it be at all possible without masks and testing? The CDC and other Public Health agencies are monitoring the Ruby Princesses. It's a management issue above my pay grade.

Personal responsibility is the other part of the equation. What should you do in order to board a cruise ship without covid hitching a ride? Is it okay to have three glorious days at Disney World (without masks) before embarkation?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Back on topic.

The issue today is what it would take to return to full capacity? Would it be at all possible without masks and testing? The CDC and other Public Health agencies are monitoring the Ruby Princesses. It's a management issue above my pay grade.

Personal responsibility is the other part of the equation. What should you do in order to board a cruise ship without covid hitching a ride? Is it okay to have three glorious days at Disney World (without masks) before embarkation?

It’s quite simple: if you don’t agree with the current protocols, don’t cruise. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Is this your first cruise since all the cancelation 🤔

On 3/25/2022 at 1:08 PM, colliece said:

Got spoiled with 50% capacity on our last few cruises.  I would personally pay more to have fewer passengers on board, but we may be in the minority. 

This is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to read on the internet, while everyone nods their head in agreement. Only that it would never truly work in real life. What does paying more mean? $100? Double the fare? The cruise lines would have to collect nearly double to sail at 50% (not counting any impacts from less onboard spend). If higher cruise fares could work to have less people on board, I'd expect we'd see more of it. Less food cost, less labor for starters. Obviously, the opposite model seems to be the one that is far more popular.

19 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Indeed! Concur 100%. Packing more passengers into tighter spaces may end up proving to be disastrous and costly for the lines. Covid is a game changer to be sure, may change the trajectory of these practices in the near future. Even if the lines don't initiate it, passengers may, by voting with their wallets or walking away entirely. It's a fine line and delicate balance.     

I agree that the overall experience needs a careful balance before some start to reconsider. For me, I think it's less about complaining about "extra people packed in". Like really, if you removed 10-20% of people from the ship is it really that big of difference? If there was one less person ahead of you in line, that's negligible.

For me it's more about the flow and size of venues. Like comedy shows for example. They are fairly popular, and often hard to get a seat. Venues with 300 seats on a ship of 5000 is ridiculous. At that point, the real problem isn't that there's 5000 people on the ship. It's that the venue is not properly sized in proportion to the passenger count. Meanwhile, other parts of the ship are dead at that time. Sure with ship sizes that big, you can't always control it perfectly. However, I think we all know what venues clearly weren't designed properly.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Is this your first cruise since all the cancelation 🤔

Yup, Finally! Canceled my Nov/Dec Cruises last minute, wasn't Royal/CV related. Been taking Care of Mother, we're selling her home and she's going into Assisted living. Then no more of this Michigan in Cold Winters, Arizona in Hot Summers anymore. Yr round with my 4 Grand Daughters. Doing April/May B3B on Jewel switching 4/29 to Vision's TA. All Corner/Afts of course. Even had so much Airline Credit get Fly back from Spain First Class. So I'm ready for great return!

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Where? Specific food location would be helpful and appreciated. I've seen one other report of this but it was a specific type of dish and I don't want to spread FUD. I'm sure many of us would love for you to extrapolate on circumstances. No covid is a positive metric. 

Odyssey DID NOT have Noro. It was a 24 hour stomach virus. I actually got it and missed the 5th day (sea day). But was well enough to enjoy CocoCay. I didn't have to isolate because I didn't seek medical attention. Others who did were isolated for 24 hours (but not other cabin members).

It was not fun, but it also wasn't Noro. No idea where I got it. I always washed my hands, but hand sanitizer was minimal on the ship and often were empty. Only thing I can think of is the day I got it, I did eat a salad at lunch. Got sick at 1am.

Edited by sford75
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Doing April/May B3B on Jewel switching 4/29 to Vision's TA. All Corner/Afts of course. Even had so much Airline Credit get Fly back from Spain First Class. So I'm ready for great return!

Be safe.

Travelling first class doesn't guarantee immunity from covid. Particularly when you've been on RCI ships. And, Americans have to take a test before flying home! Enjoy.

Edited by HappyInVan

I've cruised twice since the restart. Both times on ships with limited passengers and I loved it. The second cruise was early February and had more crew than passengers. It was really nice to be able to eat when and where I wanted, no lines for elevators and get into shows whenever it worked for you. But, even with limited capacity there were some things that were crowded. Finding space in a hot tub when people weren't sitting close was really hard, pool chairs were gone on sea days, etc. I decided at that point that the larger ships are not for me. The shared spaces are not set up for full capacity.

A covid comment. Several days after returning from the second cruise I had very mild symptoms and decided I had better test. Came back positive. With full vaccination and boosters I had such a mild case that my attitude toward covid changed. As long as I've protected myself, covid is not such a boogey man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Be safe.

Travelling first class doesn't guarantee immunity from covid. Particularly when you've been on RCI ships. And, Americans have to take a test before flying home! Enjoy.

I know, just pleased my First Flight back from Europe is in a Single seat/Pod that turns into a Bed, all at no extra cost. Have my Shots, Booster. 2 Months until know Test requirements 100%, but already have set up/scheduled @Airport in case needed... Thanks!

Edited by ONECRUISER