The Daily for Sunday 03/27/2022

richwmn

Today is National "Joe" Day, World Theatre Day, and Mothering Sunday

Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Roti canai
Drink of the Day - Green Haze
Wine of the Day - Clos de los Siete 2018 By Michel Rolland Red (Uco
Destination of the Day - Palermo, Sicily, Italy

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Cozumel MX eta 3/28

At Sea Pacific

Zuiderdam   Destination San Diego CA US eta 4/3

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 16:00
Rotterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Eurodam   06:30 - 16:00

San Diego, California

Koningsdam   07:00 - 17:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Volendam   Destination Scheveningen NL eta 4/2

At Sea Mediterranean Sea

Oosterdam   Destination Catania IT eta 3/29

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0327World.thumb.png.88bffa6cb5bdf39476604dced1ae134d.png
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Not much of a coffee drinker, but we have 2 neighbours named Joe.  I hope they enjoy their day.

Wish I could go to the theatre.  A big thank you to mothers.

Love the quote.

Not sure about the meal, hope it is not too spicy.  Looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I have not been to today's port, thanks in advance for all the pictures that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I like a good cup of Joe.  I like it hot, black and just a bit of sweetener. I’m curious about the meal suggestion and look forward to @dfish recipes.  
We were able to complete our health questionnaire and I set up the Verifly account.  Everything is loaded except the test which must wait until tomorrow.

Todays chore will be to make the house look good for the pet sitter.  This is the hardest part of vacation prep.

I watched both ships sail in this morning.  The NS looked really nice with the sunrise.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.9a59e04cca3c6f8cc35a6b3563ade16f.png

• Like 31
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another lovely, cool start to the day! Yesterday was picture perfect. Hoping for more of the same today. Heading off to the gym early. May visit the beach if the winds hold off today. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family!

Some random smiles….

42BCAF05-0541-4DE0-B8F6-47C74DAD2074.jpeg.14d7cc212dda6a3cfbba5550ca1b5198.jpeg

CA38E47E-9E7E-4600-B4CC-C71D7F7C2162.jpeg.e9034c25e766f29263d105fc87306e43.jpeg

8C147D93-8FE9-4A04-B628-B6AAD956576A.jpeg.2552832f73062dfbda8a4c2bbeb7eee6.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Clos de los Siete 2018 By Michel Rolland

This Argentinian red blend has as many excellent ratings as it does grape varieties in the blend! And such a reasonable price.  I am adding this one to my list. It sounds lovely. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $14.66.

Winemaker Notes

#53 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2021

Clos de los Siete 2018 has a beautiful deep red color with glints of ruby. The nose is characterized by intense, complex aromatic expression with scents of dark fruit, blackberries and blueberries, and floral notes accompanied by delicate hints of spice. The palate is generous, silky and full-bodied. The blend presents a remarkable balance between well-rounded tannins, intense fruit, and good concentration. This wine has a characteristic freshness and beautiful length on the palate. Seductive, elegant and complex, it has great potential to improve with age

Blend: 55% Malbec, 19% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Syrah, 2% Petit Verdot , 2% Cabernet Franc

JS94 James Suckling
Ripe plum, black cherry, lavender and cocoa on the nose. It’s medium-to full-bodied with firm, creamy tannins. Polished and rounded with a plush, deep core of dark fruit. Lingering crushed-hazelnut notes on a long, concentrated finish. Drink or hold.
WE92 Wine Enthusiast

Clos de los Siete almost never fails, and this version from a ripe and easy vintage is just that: ripe and easy. Inky blackberry and black cur-rant aromas show a waft of campfire creosote, while this feels big and round, with plenty of mouth-blackening fruit. Oak-aided blackberry, cassis and chocolate flavors come with a hint of herbs, while the finish is smooth and mild. Drink through 2023. Editors’ Choice

RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
I think the 2018 Clos de Los Siete is the finest vintage of this blend that I've tasted so far. In this cooler year, it's a blend of 55% Malbec, 19% Merlot, 12% Syrah, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% each Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc. It has good ripeness (14.5%), juicy but fresh and balanced, tasty, with full flavors and fine tannins. Seventy percent of the wine matured in 225-liter French barriques for 11 months. Instant gratification at a great price. 988,000 bottles produced.Rating: 91(+)
WS90 Wine Spectator

Dense and powerful, with plenty of loamy notes to the dark cherry and roasted plum flavors that show creamy accents. Ends with dark chocolate on the finish. Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc. Drink now through 2024.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon.

60°F and sunny here in NE England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Happy Mother's day 💐 to all mother's on here.

Sadly both our mams are no longer with us.

Interesting other days.

Great and true quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We went to Sicily on our second cruise in 2003.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Pauline is still positive but a lot better.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Graham. 

Screenshot_20220327_121042.jpg

277519482_10158984285143683_4997684063121986841_n.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I can't think of any Joes in my immediate circle so my next cup of Joe will probably honor our President.  I expect Graham will fill us in on the details of Mothering Sunday.  In honor of World Theater Day I hope to book Come From Away for the night before I board Queen Mary 2.  Love the Einstein Quote and I have not been to Palermo.  I'm running behind on the lists after a very busy day yesterday.   I don't think I've ever had Roti Canai.  My alternative is Strawberry-Banana-Blueberry, Thai Chicken and Forbidden Rice Soup, Boneless Lamb Loin, and Linzer Torte as served on MS Zaandam March 27, 2017.

dishes27.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I can't think of any Joes in my immediate circle so my next cup of Joe will probably honor our President.  I expect Graham will fill us in on the details of Mothering Sunday.  In honor of World Theater Day I hope to book Come From Away for the night before I board Queen Mary 2.  Love the Einstein Quote and I have not been to Palermo.  I'm running behind on the lists after a very busy day yesterday.   I don't think I've ever had Roti Canai.  My alternative is Strawberry-Banana-Blueberry, Thai Chicken and Forbidden Rice Soup, Boneless Lamb Loin, and Linzer Torte as served on MS Zaandam March 27, 2017.

dishes27.jpg

Roy

Most of us buy flowers or chocolates on mother's Day for our mams in the UK 

Screenshot_20220327_123846.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 10

thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

I’ll happily celebrate Joe day.  Jose would often tell workers his name was Joe as people had problems with Jose 😉 Love theatre.  I wish my mother were alive - I’d happily be giving her cards and gifts.  (Mothering day is on the 4th Sunday of Lent when children give cards & presents to their mothers as a sign of their love for them). I had to look it up 😉 

Love the Einsteen quote and Palermo.  I’ll have to wait for Debbie’s food description to figure out the meal today 😉 

My friend came over last night and picked up my 2 dog beds and 5 boxes of treats, probiotics, poop bags, health things for dogs, etc.  Amazed we got it all in her trunk and front seat.  We’re good packers 😉 

0406715A-3A2F-4BF1-857F-1C7C24E910E1.jpeg.c295ce6dbe5d8c10505a25e920e953be.jpeg

She apologized she had her 2 dogs afraid it would upset me (they go everywhere with her) and I said no worries, bring them in and they can play out back or stay in the house.   (My back yard is fenced). It was nice to have them here.

A98913F8-209B-40E8-9882-2DD990A4556D.jpeg.4c38d93d6848c96a7f366ff18aa033cd.jpeg

Snowed last night and rain, mixed stuff in the forecast - trying to figure out the best time to head to the hospital.  No need to rush in first thing like I was doing (and did out of habit yesterday) with no dogs in the house to get back to.  Looks like messy weather for the next bit.  I guess March is coming in and going out like a lion 😠 

E1DBF07F-62A2-462B-B147-F176392CA11A.thumb.jpeg.e9c54c1c4cc6689c1d6a17f980095a17.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!!

1B332848-13BF-4732-9768-B44F48FE8919.jpeg.1bce5ef2a3922497759285f34fcd2216.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 16

Today’s care list:

RIP  PA Troopers Branden T Sisca and Martin F Mack March 21
Strength for Jacqui as she mourns Marley and waits for a suitable facility for Jose

Sailingdutchy, Paulette, and aliaschief with Covid
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with rough nights
Rosby DH in hospital
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Welfare of furloughed crews
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rotterdam

rdm0327.thumb.JPG.f00704c23e40a02428b53e418c1b6d5b.JPG

and Nieuw Statendam in Everglades

ns0327.thumb.JPG.f08d1ca0ebdd0c0b437f511581dd6b34.JPG

Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
My booking confirmation for July cruise
Jose on a waiting list for a good facility
Cruzin Terri good numbers and diagnosis for DH
3 days for Crazy for Cats (Eurodam 3/30 to 4/10)
Bon Voyage  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam 3/27-4/10)
 Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),   Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3), Overhead Fred and  sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  at sea
Welcome home DeeniEncinetas
A new Camila photo better than ever
4th jab for srdancer and JazzyV
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  My favorite BIL is named Joe. Really like the quote, an active imagination is a wonderful thing. Not sure what the meal is. The drink sounds like it could be deadly.  Have not been to today’s port but will enjoy the photos. Prayers for all on our list today.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events. 

• Like 26

Good morning.  Know several Joe's but none around here.  Wish we had a theater close by.  Really like the quote.  Not sure what the meal is.

Really feel sorry for our cruisers suffering with Covid.  Sorry they are not allowed to do another test to prove a false positive.  HAL has dropped the ball, in my opinion, especially with those with other health problems. 

Have not been to today's destination, looking forward to the photo's.

Major prayers for our care list.  Cheers to our celebrations.

Green Haze:

Ingredients
1/2 part Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
1/2 part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao Liqueur
1/2 part Cruzan® Coconut Rum
1/2 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
4 parts Pineapple Juice
Splash Sweet and Sour Mix

Instructions
Build over ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake and strain into a shot glass.

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 8.25.47 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from quarantine central. Sue and Barb were given an inside cabin for the night and I got to stay in our Neptune. Why? I believe the other quarantine cabins were already occupied.

This morning Sue tested positive and we are trying to get her back here to isolate with me. Barb SIL was negative but wants to join us and we all isolate together. We’ll see! Balcony good book great view and I bought a bottle of Crown Royal! What else do I need!😎

Thanks for the heads up about getting culinary utensils. Eating eggs Benedict on styrofoam with wooden utensils is not the best!

Feeling a little stuffy but still pretty much mild symptoms. 

So we have made our decision and are going to have an isolated but enjoyable cruise around the Caribbean. Hopefully, together.

Thanks to all from the Quarantine’s!😷

• Like 26
  • Thanks 16

Good morning, everyone.

We have a couple inches of white, fluffy stuff outside this morning.  Not enough to warrant going out to shovel.  It will melt and isn't enough to hamper my ability to get in and out of the driveway.   I fired my plow company after the last snowfall when they came out and plowed less than inch out of the drive and charged me $40.  

No pool today as it is spring break at the university so the rec center is closed.  

Today's meal is a Malaysian flatbread that is usually served with a lentil curry.    Here is the first recipe:  https://www.elmundoeats.com/en/homemade-roti-canai/

1656828103_RotiCanai1.thumb.jpg.fe09f4c2da48bddefdc5504f7712f415.jpg

This recipe is a bit different.  You can serve it with just sugar.   https://rasamalaysia.com/roti-canai-roti-paratha-recipe/

2140573668_RotiCanai2.jpg.0e4647a952a7c1c96334ee9617c03374.jpg

Roti canai and curry is a popular breakfast dish in Malaysia and Singapore, but it is also served as a snack or a quick lunch. The bread can be accompanied by a soup or some other stew instead of the traditional lentil curry.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/difference-between-roti-and-roti-canai-3030165

1567463948_roticanai3.thumb.jpg.0e978506863f82a93bfba29cef84a1f0.jpg

And here is a recipe for the curry to go with it.  https://www.elmundoeats.com/en/dhal-curry/

60703255_DhalCurry.thumb.jpg.9b388a6ea7f8fe6cd25e8196b90b5244.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Prayers for our Dailyites who are in isolation aboard a BHB or at home.   Cheers for those who are celebrating.   Wishing everyone a great day.  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. It has turned  colder here but the sun is shining.I salute all the days and wish we could go to the theater safely again.We have to remain cautious  here but that is something  I truly miss. I had an Uncle Joe who was a real character and sometimes see his quirks in my DS. I salute all the mothers out there and will always miss my own.  

@aliaschief, Bruce, I was sorry to hear about your DW but hope you can all be together soon.

@kazu,Jacqui, your friend  sounds  wonderful as it had to be hard looking at all the dog paraphernalia  in your home. I hope your drive is uneventful. 

@grapau27,Graham,  I am glad Pauline is a little better. I hope you remain well.

We are fixing spinach lasagna today for dinner. Enjoy the day everyone. 

Terry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We don't have any Joes around here, so will celebrate everyone else's.  DH and I met because of the theatre - he was in a production at that time.  Happy Mother's Day to all mothers in the UK who are being celebrated today.

A cool but windy day starting us off this morning - we're still in the minus temperatures, but it could creep up during the day and see some melting.  DH measured the drifts along the driveway and we still have another nearly 3 feet to melt, so spring isn't quite here yet.  The interesting thing is that because the frost wasn't hard at the beginning of winter, the ground is absorbing the moisture from the snow.  Although we had a ton of snow in the back yard, there really isn't any standing water that we have to worry about.

I'm sorry to hear about more of our Daily-ite family being tested positive; I hope that @aliaschief, his bride and sister-in-law all get to quarantine together, not that I want SIL to test positive, but you know what I mean.  Glad you were able to get cutlery!

This came up on my FB memories page and gave me a good giggle; I'm sure those of you with dogs can identify with it.

242900849_NoRegrets.thumb.jpg.6313d127606786dfec5309a12bbff103.jpg

One can only imagine the fun these two must have had before this picture was taken - I think I'd walk them through a car wash!  LOL

I've had today's wine selection; our Argentinian neighbours dropped a bottle off for us just prior to Christmas this year.  Definitely drinkable!!   DH mentioned that he hasn't had Hunter Chicken for a long time - over the past year we've been ordering it occasionally from a nearby restaurant, so I think I'll get a reprieve from cooking tonight.  He can enjoy his chicken while I'll be ordering their fish and chips - they coat the fish in crushed kettle chips . . .yum!  So it's looking like take-out for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all who are helping them.  Extra also for our Daily family who are suffering health issues, and those who need our moral support.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate everyone on the happy list.  Get your boosters, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, and be well.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning friends!  It's a beautiful Sunday morning here.  My family in the northern states are shivering except my DS who took his oldest son to Gainesville FL this weekend on a college visit.  I'm sure it must be much warmer in Florida than in Michigan today!  Don't know any Joes to honor today, Mothering Day is a great day, and world theater day is enjoyed by many.  I don't think I would care for the roti canai, the drink or the red wine.  Sorry to be so difficult!

I've been fortunate to stop in Palermo, Italy one cruise so I will search for some nice photos for you.  It is the first time Palermo was listed as port destination of the day.

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor today's Daily.  Roy @rafinmd thanks for keeping our lists updated.  Today I'll say an extra session of prayers for my family, friends, Cruise Critic buddies, and the wonderful people of Ukraine who we are all supporting. 🙏 News on Buddy is he is still in terrible pain unfortunately. 😥 However I heard Jen is trying hard to do her therapies, and is working on trying to walk with a hemi walker.  I'm not sure what the difference is in walkers, but if she can stand and move again we will all be very excited. 👩‍🦽 I hope Bruce, Sue, Pauline and Tony are doing okay getting over their Covid with no lasting effects from it.  🤞  Will these varations ever stop?  At least they seem less lethal than they once did.

An extra thanks and a hug to Jacqui for her memes today, and I have to say you are a very strong person to go on doing all that needs to be done with all the sad events in your life these past few months.  I admire your spirit!❤️

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.--Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein possessed a fascinating intellect, but it wasn't able to take him "everywhere". He recognized the reality of a maker, creator, but at the age of twelve he rejected any possibility of a God that intervened for any individual, personally. Both his logic and his imagination failed him in the realm of faith. 

I love the parable he tells about a child in a library. Einstein just wasn't able to see beyond his own mind.

• "The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations."
  • Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (NIV)
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from a cool but sunny day at the beach

I was surprised and concerned about all the positive Covid tests on the cruises. Hopefully everyone is doing ok and will recover quickly. Not sure this virus will ever leave us, just have to remain as vigilant as possible and not let our guard down.

@kazu Jacqui, I was very sorry to read of Marleys passing. It is never easy. 

Played golf yesterday and then went dress shopping. I have a couple of weddings coming up.  Finally found one in Dillards. 

Today our tax person is coming here to finalize our taxes. She does a few people in the neighborhood so it is worth it for her to drive over from Orlando. Her DH is coming too and will take their son down on the beach while she works. Shouldnt really take long. Nothing changes!

Stay well everyone.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1