Can you choose which hotel to quarantine in after cruise if necessary?

luv2ndhalf

Silly question…… So if the unfortunate happens and we need to quarantine after our cruise, can we pick where to stay? I know Celebrity only reimburses up to a certain amount, but we’d spend a little extra if necessary-We will be in Fort Lauderdale-

Thanks!

From what others have previously posted you can go with what they have available and not see a bill or book your own and apply for reimbursement. 
It wasn’t until this past week that there were recent reports of Covid and quarantined passengers whose quarantine extended beyond debarkation. 
Currently the Covid assistance ends on 4/30 so after that it is between you and your insurance company. 

Edited by jelayne
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity’s room block was full when my husband was sent to isolation on Monday. We had to book his hotel on our own via lousy wifi and we will have to send invoices and wait for reimbursement. I’m not sure if you can request to book your own if their block has availability. If they book you you have no control; I chose a place with balconies so my husband could get outside. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Celebrity’s room block was full when my husband was sent to isolation on Monday. We had to book his hotel on our own via lousy wifi and we will have to send invoices and wait for reimbursement. I’m not sure if you can request to book your own if their block has availability. If they book you you have no control; I chose a place with balconies so my husband could get outside. 

I had actually read your post…… I’m so sorry for what y’all went through- that’s what made me think about having a game plan if anything happens-Is anything done to insure people quarantine for the 5 days or is it just done on the honor system?

3 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

I had actually read your post…… I’m so sorry for what y’all went through- that’s what made me think about having a game plan if anything happens-Is anything done to insure people quarantine for the 5 days or is it just done on the honor system?

The 5 days is amazing - I have just recovered from Covid and was testing positive for 12 days, my DH was positive on 19th March and still positive today

5 hours ago, emmas gran said:

The 5 days is amazing - I have just recovered from Covid and was testing positive for 12 days, my DH was positive on 19th March and still positive today

Testing positive on PCR tests?  Or still positive on antigen tests? - which would be very unusual.

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Testing positive on PCR tests?  Or still positive on antigen tests? - which would be very unusual.

On what we call Lateral Flow , I believe you call Antigen. Our neighbours said their grandson 18 years old was positive for 12 days. Apparently it’s the Omicron variant which is widespread here

10 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

Silly question…… So if the unfortunate happens and we need to quarantine after our cruise, can we pick where to stay? I know Celebrity only reimburses up to a certain amount, but we’d spend a little extra if necessary-We will be in Fort Lauderdale-

Thanks!

You can choose your own hotel but you will have to wait on reimbursement from Celebrity. I would suspect the spring break crowds didn't help Celebrity in this case. Hotels are booked solid and very expensive during March. 

6 hours ago, emmas gran said:

There are some caveats to the 5 days. If you are symptomatic you of course need to be improving and fever free. Otherwise the recommendation is the full 10 days. 

Thank you and I'm glad it helped, which was my intention. 

Celebrity told him 5 days, don't need to re-test. Thankfully he is finally feeling much better. 

• Like 2

Honor system - there is no one monitoring anything. 

• Like 2

I don’t know if this is the place to post my question here but here it goes.  When a person tests positive on board and they are placed in a quarantine cabin does Celebrity provide medications for them?  Is the person provided a fever reducer, cough syrup, etc.   just wondering as I haven’t seen this topic addressed.

I have just added cough syrup and fever reducing medication to my packing list 😉Hopefully won’t need to use it. I am now beginning to think it might be better to catch COVID before we cruise again. We have been lucky to avoid so far….. having said that we mask up everywhere but this variant is rampant. Good travel insurance plus private health cover is very important….. one that covers COVID issue’s.

In Tampa we were able to book our own hotel - we are now waiting for the approved reimbursement for those 3 days.  The hotel didn't care that he was completing a quarantine as they do not enter your room for any service at this time.  We selected based on the ability to walk and get take out food and found a couple long walking routes where we could be outside and totally alone.

Edited by SbbquilterUT
Update answer

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

I don’t know if this is the place to post my question here but here it goes.  When a person tests positive on board and they are placed in a quarantine cabin does Celebrity provide medications for them?  Is the person provided a fever reducer, cough syrup, etc.   just wondering as I haven’t seen this topic addressed.

You are offered medications as needed as well as a medical exam the morning I tested positive, which I declined as I felt that was not necessary.  I was provided a fever reducer as well as cough drops whenever I needed.  The medical staff visits once a day to check on you and take temp and pulse ox.  

One problem with Celebrity's block of rooms being full is that right now it is spring break and hotel prices are sky high.  You could end up paying $400-$500 a night to get a decent hotel, preferably with a balcony, and you only get reimbursed a small part of that.  This is on my mind as we are boarding on Monday.  We normally only carry medical travel insurance as Medicare does not cover outside of the US.  We have some regular travel insurance though our credit card but not sure it would cover this situation.  Don't want to get into a do or don't get insurance debate - I'll just say that as an insurance company employee for 30 years I can tell you that sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't.  

10 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

Thank you and I'm glad it helped, which was my intention. 

Celebrity told him 5 days, don't need to re-test. Thankfully he is finally feeling much better. 

Glad he is feeling better…… take care!