Last straw on Cut backs

Tablelamp

I have stayed loyal to P and O for very many years and have seen many cut backs. I now find they have completely overstepped the mark as they will not even serve fresh coffee in your cabin for breakfast.  And this whilst charging £2.50 for cabin service.  Does anybody have any comments?  Also, I understand that there is no turn down service.  Although I have a 45 night cruise booked for March 2023, I think I may cancel this and not cruise with p and o again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I have stayed loyal to P and O for very many years and have seen many cut backs. I now find they have completely overstepped the mark as they will not even serve fresh coffee in your cabin for breakfast.  And this whilst charging £2.50 for cabin service.  Does anybody have any comments?  Also, I understand that there is no turn down service.  Although I have a 45 night cruise booked for March 2023, I think I may cancel this and not cruise with p and o again.

I thought you were already aware from the thread you started ? :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

It's a sorry state of affairs but all cruise companies are between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand they have so much debt that it will take decades to clear it and on the other hand passenger numbers are not recovering at the rate they had hoped. And add to that... many lines just don't break even on the basis of the cruise fare alone.

For example, in 2019 the Carnival Corporation that runs 45% of all cruises worldwide spent $17,549 million on its operations but it only sold $14,104 million worth of cruise tickets. It was only $6,721 million onboard spend etc that allowed the corporation to make a $3,276 million profit.

Cruisers now seem to be cutting back on their discretionary spend on board ... hence the accelerated move by the cruise companies; to larger more efficient ships, to all inclusive packages, to phasing out older smaller ships to making other economies.

It's not only P&O.

It's something that we rile about like everyone else but to be pragmatic... if a cruise line can't break even... very soon it won't be there... and we will have lost another cruise option. 

• Like 6

Turn down has stopped but not sure if its due to covid and may return or its a permanent thing, yes there are lots of little cutbacks we noticed , not overly bothered about the turndown/chocolate's at night ( we just ;left the bedside lights on when we left for the evening), charging for room service is new however hot drink facilities are available in the cabin, and our two previous experiences of breakfast room service was that the supposedly warm toast and coffee etc were tepid to say the least so certainly wont be paying for it . The buffet choice has diminished and the amounts on offer are smaller, however this time around we felt the portions in the mdr were quite generous . I think its inevitable that cost cutting is going to continue but there is a fine line between lesser services and higher prices

Not bothered about turndown. Always found that pretty pointless. Or the coffee, because I enjoy eating breakfast in the MDR or the Epicurean.

But with you entirely on the cutbacks. You can see exactly why they’re doing it, but in our case it’s backfired somewhat because it’s caused us to book far fewer cruises. What was once a genuinely luxurious holiday experience is pretty bog standard now, and we’ve reached the take it or leave it stage.

• Like 2

I am totally shattered to read some on here are not cruising again with p&o or cutting back, they are right we miss the turn down service and the bit of chocolate they left, and no fresh coffee that's the final straw for me, after my upcoming cruise and the one next year we will not book again, isn't that right dear err dear why are you looking at 2024 p&o brochure.

• Haha 6

I don't think for a minute it will stop us cruising, however we will and have already booked  more land based holidays , it may be the same with them but we will try them and compare, gives us a chance to spend a lot longer in the ports and resorts we have enjoyed and only had the day in.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not bothered about turndown. Always found that pretty pointless. Or the coffee, because I enjoy eating breakfast in the MDR or the Epicurean.

But with you entirely on the cutbacks. You can see exactly why they’re doing it, but in our case it’s backfired somewhat because it’s caused us to book far fewer cruises. What was once a genuinely luxurious holiday experience is pretty bog standard now, and we’ve reached the take it or leave it stage.

I think this sums P&O's current offering up nicely  "What was once a genuinely luxurious holiday experience is pretty bog standard now"

IMHO P&O have something of an identity crises. They are trying to attract a younger demographic without actually offering anything for them. The only thing that has changed is the marketing . 

I've not long turned 50 and my preferred lines are currently RCL and NCL. I still cruise regularly with P&O but that is simply down to price and the convenience of leaving from Southampton.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mostonian said:

The trouble with the lack of a ‘Turndown’ service is that your wet towels are not changed. I know you could phone Housekeeping and get they changed, but it’s not the same service.

Purely out of interest, how often do you change your towels at home?

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

You have radiators to dry your towels at home, not so on ship.

Good point! Most hotels and b&bs I stay in offer hot towel rails. Would have been a nice addition on Iona and Arvia.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Purely out of interest, how often do you change your towels at home?

Good point. I’m a bit bothered by the free turndown service the bloke next door’s providing though - at least that’s what my wife say’s he’s here for every night. Still, it’s a free After Eight mint every morning.

• Haha 8

With all these who are not going to sail with p&o and those cutting back on sailing with them why do the cruises still seam to sell well, surely with all these unhappy people p&o would revert back to the good old days

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

With all these who are not going to sail with p&o and those cutting back on sailing with them why do the cruises still seam to sell well, surely with all these unhappy people p&o would revert back to the good old days

Very simple answer - a different clientele, with different expectations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobblehat71 said:

I think this sums P&O's current offering up nicely  "What was once a genuinely luxurious holiday experience is pretty bog standard now"

IMHO P&O have something of an identity crises. They are trying to attract a younger demographic without actually offering anything for them. The only thing that has changed is the marketing . 

I've not long turned 50 and my preferred lines are currently RCL and NCL. I still cruise regularly with P&O but that is simply down to price and the convenience of leaving from Southampton.

We have chosen P&O for our last few cruises for the same reason Bobblehat.  Got to Platinum on NCL, but their prices have increased so much and P&O from Southampton is much cheaper and convenient.

I think there are many cruisers that perhaps have been cruising with P&O, which I am one, and have seen the changes and said they are no longer going to cruise with P&O need to have a reality check. I have just searched for a 1 nt stay pre cruise in Holiday Inn Express in Southampton for my next cruise and was astounded to see a price of £131. For which you get a basic clean room minimum tea/coffee and a basic buffet breakfast, no turndown or little choccie on your pillow no other meals and entertainment. Some need to get a reality check of what you get full breakfast, 3 course lunch, afternoon tea, 5 course evening meal and midnight snacks and entertainment. Not everyone likes everything or has everything but the choice is there at no extra cost. Also what is the big thing is many say would prefer P&O go back to "the good old days" but price wise taking into account inflation of food and fuel P&O is far cheaper now than what it was 20+ years ago and to be competitive they cannot offer the same as then at todays prices.

• Like 16

I think DESPITE cut backs P&O are great value.  Pre registered and got my cabin number for 2024. Aft suite on 14 ,high enough to be away from noise of sunset bar , close 3 decks to Epicurean. Even if p&O have made some cut backs still offer great value. For example aft suites on Avria are proper 2 room suites, fantastic balcony. Make Cunard Queens grill look very old fashioned and worn out. Yes QG offers more perks and services, but 2 weeks med cruisein 2023  QG is £14k, 2 weeks med cruise in 2024 on P&O in £6.3k. Who can argue with that

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very simple answer - a different clientele, with different expectations.

Your correct Harry people like me, good old working class and proud of it, we go to a pub for dinner a chain restaurant type not one of your £100 for a barely cooked carrot variety, I like a decent pint not one of you fashionable lagers and as long as it is clean safe and we are kept reasonably entertained we are happy.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Many cruise lines, including P&O, see the future as cruisers who are really up for it because they will spend, spend and spend. Even before covid, Carnival made a loss on the sales of cruise tickets. It was only the extra on-board spend that pushed the company over the line into profitability.

Cruise lines want people who will go for the most costly drinks packages, lots of speciality dining, expensive excursions, full-on spa packages and who will shop 'till they drop. That  means that the cruise lines will make profits and be able to service the billions of debt that's built up over the past couple of years.

In the past when the name of the game was to build capacity and fill cabins, many cruise lines carried lots of passengers at less than cost price and often those passengers were very careful with their onboard spend and travelled as economically as possible.

We detect that, things are now rapidly changing and that cruise prices are noticeably higher than they were in 2019. In some cases, the offer has been diminished and the up-selling has increased.

What's changed is that, instead of the cruise lines just filling bigger and bigger ships they are looking to ensure that they attract people who will pay more for the experience. In many cases those people will be in a younger demographic.

2 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Many cruise lines, including P&O, see the future as cruisers who are really up for it because they will spend, spend and spend. Even before covid, Carnival made a loss on the sales of cruise tickets. It was only the extra on-board spend that pushed the company over the line into profitability.

Cruise lines want people who will go for the most costly drinks packages, lots of speciality dining, expensive excursions, full-on spa packages and who will shop 'till they drop. That  means that the cruise lines will make profits and be able to service the billions of debt that's built up over the past couple of years.

In the past when the name of the game was to build capacity and fill cabins, many cruise lines carried lots of passengers at less than cost price and often those passengers were very careful with their onboard spend and travelled as economically as possible.

We detect that, things are now rapidly changing and that cruise prices are noticeably higher than they were in 2019. In some cases, the offer has been diminished and the up-selling has increased.

What's changed is that, instead of the cruise lines just filling bigger and bigger ships they are looking to ensure that they attract people who will pay more for the experience. In many cases those people will be in a younger demographic.

Your right up to a point, with the age of most cruisers reducing year on year the company's just move with the times, all the paid for extras are the icing on the cake for the company's.

There's nothing wrong with P&O, I've just booked three cruises with them.  However I've also booked with Celebrity and Cunard and have an NCL booked as well.  Maybe my problem on P&O pricing for what I get is because I travel over Christmas in particular with them.  If my husband could take 28 days as opposed to 14 I could have cruised the Caribbean on QM2 at Christmas for only £800 more than I'm paying on Britannia.

It's not digging at P&O to say that some of their prices are now very high. Of course I could trawl through the hundreds on offer and find cheaper but I choose not to because I want a certain time or place. My choice but there's nothing wrong in my saying the prices have risen enormously.

And yes, I agree about UK hotels, biggest rip off ever. I want one night in August near Wembley after a Coldplay concert, prices are averaging £500 to £700 a night in budget hotels.

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

There's nothing wrong with P&O, I've just booked three cruises with them.  However I've also booked with Celebrity and Cunard and have an NCL booked as well.  Maybe my problem on P&O pricing for what I get is because I travel over Christmas in particular with them.  If my husband could take 28 days as opposed to 14 I could have cruised the Caribbean on QM2 at Christmas for only £800 more than I'm paying on Britannia.

It's not digging at P&O to say that some of their prices are now very high. Of course I could trawl through the hundreds on offer and find cheaper but I choose not to because I want a certain time or place. My choice but there's nothing wrong in my saying the prices have risen enormously.

And yes, I agree about UK hotels, biggest rip off ever. I want one night in August near Wembley after a Coldplay concert, prices are averaging £500 to £700 a night in budget hotels.

Any room in your cases I could do with a few more cruises

• Haha 1