Last straw on Cut backs

Tablelamp

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We visited Santorini in Sept 2019.

There was only us (Azura) and one other ship in, but it was very, very busy. I took some nice photos, but almost had to elbow my way to the vantage points, especially in Oia.

At the end of the excursion, the queue for the cable car was huge, so we decided to walk down. Fortunately, we had our walking shoes on, but even so it was quite slippery in places. The poor donkeys weren’t keen on moving out of the way, so in places we were walking through herds of donkeys. I was a bit worried they’d kick out at us. 

It is a steep walk down (far easier than going up) we left a group of fellow cruisers at the cable car and still got to the bottom long before they did, even managed to walk in flip flops, but maybe not recommended!!!! Even when no cruise ships are in port the vantage points get very busy , did feel sorry for the couple who were trying to get their wedding photo's taken in various locations, and feel desperately sorry for those poor donkeys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Oh I don't know.

We had a superb time a few years back...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/07/14/one-way-to-do-santorini/

409127404_Europa2MSCMusicaframedatSantorini31May17.thumb.jpg.b8e899d4f7e3cfbf13fc69d27f631bb1.jpg

Lovely photo Richard but you know what it's like when you have visited somewhere pretty unspoiled and then return when it is overrun with tourists... Also, I prefer my Greece a bit rough and rugged.

• Like 2

I do see where cruise companies are coming from as has been said the amount of lost revenue. But isn't it false economy to make silly cutbacks to recover the odd dollar/pound here and there. It has long been my gripe about what we used to get and what we get now against what we pay for a cruise. When I went on my first cruise I quickly learnt to look around for the amount I paid for a cruise. Various Companies were kindly put forward to us by fellow passengers. This was back in 2002, our first cruise being to Madeira and the Canaries (Not Norwich City) on Victoria (a P&O ship, formerly Sea Princess) We had excellent evening meals in the MDR which was dark wood and etched glass ( The dining room, not the food). We were quickly told by the two other couples that if you didn't like any of the main courses you could have steak. It's now on all menu's and in my opinion not as good a quality. You had toiletries in your cabin and they were presented in a faux leather little bag with the P&O logo on the front. In the evening after the show you could have sarnies and hot chocolate. If as has been stated no turndown at night and presumably no chocolate on your pillow along with no fresh coffee with breakfast in your cabin these are further cutbacks that do nothing to promote the cruise experience. Also I noted on the last couple of cruises there was no little sweets in a dish. No doubt prices of everything will have risen against a backdrop of cuts. It is not a good way to promote cruising with P&O. I currently have two cruises booked for next year. If in the event they do not come up to what I expect I will have no hesitation in looking elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I believe most cruise lines are trying to cut back on plastic bottles toiletries and  are using refillable bottles - cuts back on plastic and waste. We didn’t miss the turndown or lack of chocs. on Brittania in Oct as happy to have fewer visits to cabin. No problem re towel changes - just asked housekeeping and left used ones in bath.

Our main gripe was they still had one of the MDR closed yet ship was fairly full as they had accommodated some passengers who had cabins cancelled on Ventura the week before. It made booking early dining times very difficult.

I am sure some things will return - we still had bottle of bubbly - and I believe they will still vary as to cabin grade and loyalty tier but these things are also the same at the moment in some 4 and 5 star hotels for now.

For example in Madeira in feb. 5* hotel less tea etc.put in room and no turndown.

they said again it was to keep visits to room to as few as possible and they want less waste . Plus they weren’t fully stocked yet as still waiting for orders to arrive so no nuts out on tables in the bar - weird but true as mostly everything imported from the mainland.

Weather was fab that week though so we were mostly out.

Like  cruise companies many hotels have suffered badly from Covid and are still not back to normal.

We have 2 cruises booked this year - our first Aurora cruise as Iona and Arvia are far too big for what we want and then 3 more so will see what happens after last cruise this year.

Really wish p and o would do a fare like princess plus though as that worked so well on our cruise. A real mix of ages on Sky Princess too plus the app worked really well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J110 said:

I believe most cruise lines are trying to cut back on plastic bottles toiletries and  are using refillable bottles - cuts back on plastic and waste. We didn’t miss the turndown or lack of chocs. on Brittania in Oct as happy to have fewer visits to cabin. No problem re towel changes - just asked housekeeping and left used ones in bath.

Our main gripe was they still had one of the MDR closed yet ship was fairly full as they had accommodated some passengers who had cabins cancelled on Ventura the week before. It made booking early dining times very difficult.

I am sure some things will return - we still had bottle of bubbly - and I believe they will still vary as to cabin grade and loyalty tier but these things are also the same at the moment in some 4 and 5 star hotels for now.

For example in Madeira in feb. 5* hotel less tea etc.put in room and no turndown.

they said again it was to keep visits to room to as few as possible and they want less waste . Plus they weren’t fully stocked yet as still waiting for orders to arrive so no nuts out on tables in the bar - weird but true as mostly everything imported from the mainland.

Like  cruise companies many hotels have suffered badly from Covid and are still not back to normal.

We have 2 cruises booked this year - our first Aurora cruise as Iona and Arvia are far too big for what we want and then 3 more so will see what happens after last cruise this year.

Really wish p and o would do a fare like princess plus though as that worked so well on our cruise. A real mix of ages on Sky Princess too plus the app worked really well.

I will watch with bated breath as to whether all the things currently done away with return. I do believe that these little things extra do make a cruise different to a shore holiday and whilst pretty unimportant I feel do lift a cruise. Aurora is a lovely ship, perhaps showing her age just as Oceana and Oriana were before her. I do wonder when the time comes and it cannot be many more years that Aurora is replaced. I, like you hope that she's not replace with some gigantic block of flats at sea. We have had from memory 4 cruises on Aurora, 4 on Oriana and 1 on Oceana which we liked the least. We are giving Iona a go towards the end of next year, God willing. We will make our minds up then as to whether we like ships that size as the next biggest we have tried was Britannia and Azura and Ventura.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I will watch with bated breath as to whether all the things currently done away with return. I do believe that these little things extra do make a cruise different to a shore holiday and whilst pretty unimportant I feel do lift a cruise. Aurora is a lovely ship, perhaps showing her age just as Oceana and Oriana were before her. I do wonder when the time comes and it cannot be many more years that Aurora is replaced. I, like you hope that she's not replace with some gigantic block of flats at sea. We have had from memory 4 cruises on Aurora, 4 on Oriana and 1 on Oceana which we liked the least. We are giving Iona a go towards the end of next year, God willing. We will make our minds up then as to whether we like ships that size as the next biggest we have tried was Britannia and Azura and Ventura.

I very much agree with you that the little touches are really nice and have set P&O a little apart in their price bracket. Whilst I appreciate that fares have come down considerably pre-pandemic, should those little touches have been consigned to the depths of the ocean for good, then apart from the size of Aurora and Arcadia, P&O would have lost most of  their usp's for me.

• Like 1

Not this old chestnut again, There is no turn back service because the staff are busy cleaning the ship to try to keep COVID at bay.

This has been said before.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, J110 said:

To be honest I don’t really care whether turn down service returns or not, never had the fresh coffee as always have tea with breakfast. As for towel changes,  I see no need for the current frequency of changes, many hotels adopt the policy if you want towels changed leave in bath or shower cubicle. Glad see cruise ships cutting down on single plastic waste such as in bottles, better shower gel etc is put in reusable dispensers. 

• Like 1

Yes agree.  Don't need the evening turndown or the constant changing of towels.  If you hang them up after use, they are dry the following day.  Don't need chocolates on my pillow either.  the coffee in the Buffet has always been disgusting ever since I started cruising.  Shower gel in a refillable container is fine for me.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

To be honest I don’t really care whether turn down service returns or not, never had the fresh coffee as always have tea with breakfast. As for towel changes,  I see no need for the current frequency of changes, many hotels adopt the policy if you want towels changed leave in bath or shower cubicle. Glad see cruise ships cutting down on single plastic waste such as in bottles, better shower gel etc is put in reusable dispensers. 

Since PET is the most recycled  plastic worldwide it seems rather strange that P&O have decided to make PET  bottled water their lead example of their new green credentials.

I am taking my own microfibre bath towels and they dry very quickly and occupy little space in the suitcase. Actually the main reason is I can't stand those bath sheets they provide, too big and unwieldy. Almost as bad as trying to change the duvet cover 😱

Turn down service - don't need it

Chocolate on pillow - free crisps would be preferable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Since PET is the most recycled  plastic worldwide it seems rather strange that P&O have decided to make PET  bottled water their lead example of their new green credentials.

At least P&O are making a start on improving their environmental image in respect of waste, which has not been good over the years. 

• Like 1

Would never dream of using a bath towel more than once after a bath or shower. If steward leaves 2 per person after servicing room during the day then I have not got a problem with no turndown at night. As long as I have a fresh towel for shower before dinner and then one next morning when I get up I will be happy. Not bothered about turning down my bed and wife certainly wouldnt want anyone folding her nightwear and chocolates are no great deal breaker.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, daiB said:

Not this old chestnut again, There is no turn back service because the staff are busy cleaning the ship to try to keep COVID at bay.

This has been said before.

Our cabin steward works 4 hours a day. Our steward doesn't even fold the towels in our cabin. No sign of the stewards doing extra cleaning. 

And as Covid is not spread through surface transfer, any extra cleaning is meaningless.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Our cabin steward works 4 hours a day. Our steward doesn't even fold the towels in our cabin. No sign of the stewards doing extra cleaning. 

And as Covid is not spread through surface transfer, any extra cleaning is meaningless.

Your cabin steward is working elsewhere on the ship.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Would never dream of using a bath towel more than once after a bath or shower. If steward leaves 2 per person after servicing room during the day then I have not got a problem with no turndown at night. As long as I have a fresh towel for shower before dinner and then one next morning when I get up I will be happy. Not bothered about turning down my bed and wife certainly wouldnt want anyone folding her nightwear and chocolates are no great deal breaker.

On our last 14 night cruise on Iona we let our cabin steward in 4 times because of covid concerns and it made his job a lot easier too.

We bring all our own shampoo/conditioner,soap etc and the cabin steward gave me plenty of toilet rolls.

Usually we feel rushed in the morning to vacate the cabin for the cabin steward to clean the cabin but it was much more relaxing this cruise.

There was used towels containers in the corridor that I put ours in to and I got plenty of  fresh towels from the towel trolley.

If I needed anything else there was 2 cabin stewards nearby.

A lot of hotels don't supply room service unless requested so we are used to not having a cleaner in our room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

At home have to make do with drying towel on heated towel rail, certainly not changed  twice a day or even every day.

On hotels it's another matter. However expectations depend on the hotel and what we pay. If it's a quick over night in a "premier inn" or similiar then don't expect more than one bath towel each a day.  If it's an expensive luxury hotel then expect multiple towels changed at least twice a day. 

I  would apply the same logic to ships. In a full suite would expect a turn down and new towels twice a day. If I'd only paid a third of that,  then would have different expectations. 

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Do people really changed their towels every day at home?  I certainly don't.  Ours last much longer than that.  What's the difference on a cruise?

Always use towels for shower/bath only once but do use hand towels again. Would never dream of using a towel after bath/shower that had been used before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

At least P&O are making a start on improving their environmental image in respect of waste, which has not been good over the years. 

Improving their environmental image so much you get duplicates of  everything printed sent to your cabin every day sometimes 10+ sheets of paper must be a rain forest a day destroyed and most of its garbage anyway 

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Do people really changed their towels every day at home?  I certainly don't.  Ours last much longer than that.  What's the difference on a cruise?

We change ours once a week, see no need have clean towels every day when there are just the 2 of of us, each with our own set of towels. Changing them less on board would reduce the environmental impact and the amount of grey water waste, another issue that needs to be addressed regarding disposal. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

At home have to make do with drying towel on heated towel rail, certainly not changed  twice a day or even every day.

On hotels it's another matter. However expectations depend on the hotel and what we pay. If it's a quick over night in a "premier inn" or similiar then don't expect more than one bath towel each a day.  If it's an expensive luxury hotel then expect multiple towels changed at least twice a day. 

I  would apply the same logic to ships. In a full suite would expect a turn down and new towels twice a day. If I'd only paid a third of that,  then would have different expectations. 

I have stayed in high end hotels, towels were never changed twice a day.