The Daily for Wednesday 03/30/2022

richwmn

Today is I am in Control Day, National Doctor’s Day, and Take a Walk in the Park Day

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.--Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

Meal Suggestion for today - winter salad hummus bowls
Drink of the Day - Buttershots Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - SJ Montigny 2017 Kreuznacher St. Martin Spatlese G
Destination of the Day - Avatoru, Rangiroa, French Polynesia

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay, BS eta 4/2

At Sea Pacific

Zuiderdam   Destination San Diego, Califor 4/3

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Eurodam   07:00 - 17:00

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Rotterdam  

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 17:00

San Francisco, California

Koningsdam   13:00 -

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea English Channel

Volendam   Destination Scheveningen NL eta 4/2

Augusta, IT

Oosterdam  

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Drifting

0330World.thumb.png.052672997a1a260889cc3bb963e329ab.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day!

There are a lot of days that I do not feel that I am in control, Mother Nature is.  A big thank you to Doctors.  I'd like to take a walk in the park, maybe tomorrow.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  I hope the drink and wine are good.

We've got freezing rain in the forecast for today.  Good thing we are staying home. 

Bertie Woofster went for his annual check up with the vet yesterday and she told us, as if we didn't know, that Bertie needs to lose some weight.  He is not happy, he loves to eat, but we will do what is best for him.   As the weather improves (not today, but soon) we will go for more walks.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich. It’s slowly warming up here and I do mean slowly.  Good group of days today, I think that I will go for a walk in Boston Common today at lunchtime.  I like today’s quote, reading does open the world to the reader.  The salad sounds nice as does the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port but hope to someday. Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I like to think I am in control but often wonder.  A big salute to Doctors and other health care workers, especially at this stage of my life.  I think it may warm up enough this morning so I'll be able to take a walk in the park.  I love the Doctor Seuss quote.  Looks like I've been to Rangoria just once on the 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  I'll pass on the hummus.  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad, and Mango Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 30, 2017:

dishes30.jpg

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui as she mourns Marley and waits for a suitable facility for Jose
Sailingdutchy, and aliaschief with Covid
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
kplady awaiting knee replacement Friday and DH recovering from prostate procecure
StLouisCruisers Eye issue
Rosby DH in hospital
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
Ukraine
Welfare of furloughed crews
Heartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Vietnam veterans
Eurodam in Everglades

ed0330.thumb.JPG.aec2a6ccf466fc1bbb5829f60480cfc9.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
Jose on a waiting list for a good facility
4 days for GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
Bon Voyage Crazy for Cats (Eurodam 3/30 to 4/10)
 Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),   Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3), Overhead Fred   sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6), and  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10)  at sea
Sam’s new aide doing great
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 38
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon.

It is currently 49°F and cloudy but we had sleet and snow showers earlier.

Many thanks Rich for today's daily and fleet reports.

Doctors deserve recognition every day but it is good there is a National Doctors Day.

A walk in the park like a walk along the sea front promenade is always welcome.

Excellent quote today.

I don't like the sound of today's meal but I'm sure Debbie will post delicious photos.

I would like to see today's exotic port some time so eagerly waiting to see photos posted today.

Prayers 🙏 always for our dear friends on the care list.

Pauline has had 3 days of negative tests and is back to her normal self.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220330_120040.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I like to think I am in control but often wonder.  A big salute to Doctors and other health care workers, especially at this stage of my life.  I think it may warm up enough this morning so I'll be able to take a walk in the park.  I love the Doctor Seuss quote.  Looks like I've been to Rangoria just once on the 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  I'll pass on the hummus.  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad, and Mango Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 30, 2017:

dishes30.jpg

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui as she mourns Marley and waits for a suitable facility for Jose
Sailingdutchy, and aliaschief with Covid
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
kplady awaiting knee replacement Friday and DH recovering from prostate procecure
StLouisCruisers Eye issue
Rosby DH in hospital
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
Ukraine
Welfare of furloughed crews
Heartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Vietnam veterans
Eurodam in Everglades

ed0330.thumb.JPG.aec2a6ccf466fc1bbb5829f60480cfc9.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
Jose on a waiting list for a good facility
4 days for GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
Bon Voyage Crazy for Cats (Eurodam 3/30 to 4/10)
 Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3),Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3),   Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3), Overhead Fred   sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6), and  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10)  at sea
Sam’s new aide doing great
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Sad to see all those lovely people on the care list but nice to see all the celebrations too.

Graham.

• Like 20

Good morning.  Thanks for the lists.  Are we ever really in control?   I love the quote and the meal.  Looking forward to learning about the cocktail.  We are heading back to northeastern Ohio after coming home for a few days.  We started hospice care for my mother yesterday and today she will meet her 31st great grandchild for the first time.  It’s nice to see how excited she is to meet her. 

• Like 26

Good morning, everyone.  

We had some ice overnight but it looks minimal.  By the time I go out the main roads should be fine.  It is supposed to warm up to 70 this afternoon.  What a day!  Ice to wake up to, 70F for the afternoon.  I'm heading to the pool this morning followed by an appointment with the endocrinologist for an incidental finding on the MRI I had for my back. I'll have to remember to wish him a Happy Doctor's Day.    BTW, the MRI did not find anything new with the back.  

Today's meal is one I will probably pass on, but as @grapau27 Graham says, the pictures do look good.  I'm just not a hummus fan.   Here is the first version:   https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Salad-Hummus-Bowls-Epicurious

1598377086_hummusbowls2.thumb.jpg.c2dcd333162d853bca82e4d5eb7670ae.jpg

This next one incorporates some roasted sweet potato and apple.   Really, you can probably make this to be anything you want.   https://asimplepantry.com/hummus-recipes-winter-hummus-bowl-kale-sweet-potato-apple/

336799589_hummusbowls4.thumb.jpg.50ef69d87b5ce954692c9881ec086c6a.jpg

This next variety has options for carnivores (chicken shawarma) as well as our vegetarian family members.   https://playswellwithbutter.com/hummus-bowls-recipe/

376954009_hummusbowls5.thumb.jpg.e3e9fcd1d465620f97d41cd1d4895909.jpg

This one is just so colorful.  It would be a cheery meal on a day when winter is trying as hard as it can to hang on!   https://greenkitchenstories.com/roasted-pumpkin-hummus-winter-salad/

162782476_hummusbowls6.thumb.jpg.4789ebd97ba39369fda3a02352c571a7.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Cheers to all who are celebrating, no matter how small the celebration.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another beauty of a morning here. Off to breakfast again with my friends who head North this morning. 

Deer were everywhere this morning during Bindi & my walk. Just gorgeous. 

A few smiles….

9DFEBBD4-E621-4127-A741-454E49D6DAFD.jpeg.5e62d3b1df5d475d195576e86fc8f874.jpeg

C7CCC735-76F1-41AC-AE13-933ED41F74AF.jpeg.1bb9dc68e8e6d7ae8d46d571004f5766.jpeg

3A45B116-D7CB-4598-B319-4A29EBCCADB9.jpeg.59d2abad48630b3a12d6e925b235a283.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

SJ Montigny 2017 Kreuznacher St. Martin Spatlese
This is one elusive Gewürztraminer. I found the 2015 & 2016 available from a distributor in Hong Kong. Everyone is sold out of the 2017 vintage. I can only image what shipping would cost, but if you happen to be in Hong Kong, you could pick up a bottle of the 2015 or 2016 vintage for a reasonable $17.88.

Wine Enthusiast: 92 Points

Rose petals, white peaches and lychees extend from nose to finish in this exceptionally light-footed, perfumed Gewürztraminer. Medium-sweet in style, it's exhilarating and fresh, with a pert spine of lemon-lime acidity and a lingering veil of sweetness on the finish. It drinks gorgeously young but should maintain peak through 2026.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I was awake to watch the Eurodam arrive in port.  Always good to know your vacation home arrived.  Instead of a walk in the park I’ll take a walk on the promenade deck!  It will be so good to do that again.  I’m not sure I’m ever in control, the cats seem to set the agenda.

We walked to Joes Cafe for a nice diner breakfast.  I had corned beef hash, eggs, potatoes, biscuit and coffee for $10.50.  Those prices are long gone at home.

I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 34

Good morning. There is some good out of all this. On my balcony enjoying the start of a new day in a new time zone drinking my promptly delivered coffee. The feel of the power underneath us slowly pushing us forward and the sound of the ship cutting through the vast waters. Yup, why we cruise!

Will have to go in and turn on aft cam for sunrise as we are heading pretty much due West.

We ate from the Canelleto menu last night. I enjoyed the grilled calamari, seafood soup and lasagna. Called our Concierge who remains are point of contact and ordered two triple neat Dalmore drams of whisky. They made for a good sleeping aids and we both had a pretty restful night. We awoke both feeling better and managed to get through night without nasal spray to aid in breathing.

Our Concierges have been just perfect to us. Treat us like nurses administrating TLC or daughters taking care of their ailing parents. We have been using the Navigator App how’s it going link to praise and laud individual performances. They get almost instant feedback and are so appreciative. On turn around day when all were off ship the CD came on speaker with a pep talk and thank you speech and recognized by name all who had received guest feedback. 

After checking with our PCC via E-mail we learned we did not get full compensation for cruise just a comped Future Cruise credit. We’re OK with that.

So we are hoping we get a good view from the dock at Grand Cayman so we either people watch or have scenic views.

So that’s it for the day here on the MS Rotterdam Isolation wards! Have a great day and thanks to all.

Guess I wasn’t paying attention. Looks like we are tendering here in Grand Cayman.

image.thumb.jpeg.0ac664d0e53c0bb5f363827048c67e96.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 4

DH's MRI took longer than he expected.  And he had to have them make extra copies , one for the radiation oncologist, one for the ENT head and neck doc that he sees on Monday, and of course one for requesting oncologist.  What ever is giving him so much pain, I hope that they can at least see what it might be, and come up with a resolution to solve the problem.

Once home, and post walking the neighbor's dog, I settled down to start my first day selling Arizona Opera.  My work screen automatically feeds me the next call, but while selling for Arizona, any call backs I had made with HB customers will pop up at scheduled times.  So I get a call back, and I make the sale, but when i am entering it, I find that I have been blocked from selling HB, the patron goes on his site, and he is blocked too.  He says he will keep trying, and I contact my boss's assistant.  He gets me unblocked and tells me to call the patron back, I do, and he has already completed the sale.  I am so glad I don't work for commission.  And then at the end of the day, I get a sale for Arizona, and the computer freezes, after the customer is off the phone, and I cant process the sale.  That involved at least 3 bosses, and the one who knows how to fix it, didn't read the problem, so my new boss will call the patron and get the CC info back.   I, am not in control of anything.

Cat-IMG_0118.jpg

Todays weather is starting cool, getting warm, getting windy, and then getting warmer, and then rain.  I mean really windy...

it00vp7iltoz.jpg

382b27754a975e149b91bc029ef1d96b--kliban-cat-big-cats.jpg

Have a wonderful day!  Stay safe in the weather today, and tonight!  Hugs!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good morning  to all.We are very aware of limited control here!I salute the two Doctors  I. the family,DB and DDIL We have not been to the port ,like the quote and appreciate the beautiful recipes.

We decided to try the recipe with and without chicken to please the crowd.I make  my own hummus so have most of the ingredients. Thank you  Debbie @dfish!

Thank you to so many who wish Tana well.It is very much appreciated. She is understandably discouraged  but continues to do as much as she can.

Terry

• Like 29

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I won't be walking outside today. I appreciate Doctors especially the one I saw a week ago today. Today is the first day in two weeks that I feel in control of how I can move my body.

The meal sounds interesting. Love the quote.

It is a very dreary day here. It is supposed to reach 77 today but rain is expected.

We finally got home Saturday morning. To say the last five weeks were stressful would be a huge understatement. On top of that two weeks ago today my sciatica started acting up for the first time in years. Instead of getting better in three or four days it kept getting worse to the point I sat and slept in what was my DFILs lift chair the last five nights we were at DMIL's. (My brother was sure I should be in a hospital because he knows I have a very high tolerance for pain.) So, I broke down and went to an urgent care last Wednesday where they gave me a shot for pain and a prescription for a muscle relaxant. Last night was the first night I didn't have to take the muscle relaxant or anything else for pain and woke up feeling good. I am very thankful for the entire staff at the Care Spot in Winter Springs, FL. They were all just wonderful, empathetic, caring people.

I have been in so much pain that I have only been able to focus on the changes going on in our immediate family. So, I am way behind here, but have continued to pray for all of my Daily family.

The family changes are still in progress and going smoothly, but challenging at times.

Thanks to all of you for "listening" and for your prayers.

Have a great day!

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. One thing I have recently learned is we are not in control of the big things in our lives. It’s an illusion.  Everyday is doctor day around here and I salute almost ball of them.

So far so good for the new aide. It’s day 3 and we are off to a good start. I can’t imagine we could ever do better and am praying stays that way.

Off to my PT this am.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 37

Today is starting out overcast and cool. I have about 20 bales of pine straw left to scatter this morning. Storms coming tomorrow so timing is perfect. I like all of the celebration days and the Dr Seuss quote is right on for us cruisers! Food and drink don’t appeal to me but maybe the wine. I’m concerned about the Covid outbreaks as we should board the NS for the 21 day transatlantic on April 17. Looks like masks and avoiding crowds are back!

• Like 27

@JAM37  I am glad that you woke pain free, and I hope the solution and painless time lasts a long time!

Oh, Thank a Dr. day goes to my dentist.  Along with getting two sales yesterday, and both of them crashing...I broke a  corner of a tooth off.  I got DH to call my dentist, (he has him on auto dial on his cell) and i have an appointment on the 11th.  It doesn't hurt, kind of gives me a wonky look...LOL.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning.

It's another beautiful morning here but our continuing lack of rain is getting more serious. We are under a red flag alert for fire danger and water restrictions are underway.

I love the quote. It is applicable for more than just young children, we all can learn something here.

Control is a relative concept.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I like to be in control, but it's awfully nice handing over the reins to a captain on a BHB.  Bless the doctors who take such good care of all of us.  I'd like to take a walk in the park, but it would be more like a slog through the snow at this point.  Maybe in about a month.

Another great quote from Dr. Seuss - reading does expand one's horizon.

Lots of things happening to our Daily family today - @Crazy For Cats Bon Voyage to you; I'll be you're excited!  Thanks for mentioning Joe's in FLL; we'll have to try it for breakfast next time we're there.   @aliaschief good to hear you took a "sleeping draught" last night, maybe scotch is the answer!  @marshhawkI don't know how you do what you do; all the technical glitches would drive me up the wall.  BTW, I love Kliban cats, and enjoy every one your post.  @smitty34877 hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and soon Tana will be feeling much better.  @JAM37 I'm sorry to hear about your sciatica acting up; a dear friend of ours suffered for years, and often slept with a tennis ball strapped to his hip to help alleviate the pain.

We have DH's respirologist appointment this morning, then this afternoon we're bringing a cake over to a friend who is turning 80 today.  We'll surprise them with cake and coffee so nobody has to worry about doing anything, we can just have a nice visit.

I had a friend post this and it gave me a chuckle; hopefully it will for you, too.

Support.thumb.jpg.e2a825d072f8513bafc817a9e31b8793.jpg

While I enjoy hummus, DH doesn't, so we'll take a pass on today's menu suggestion.  I did some digging around the freezer yesterday and brought out a container of stew that is thawing in the fridge right now.  For us it will be stew, salad and buns on the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who need them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for our Daily family who are struggling.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all the good things on the happy list.  Get your boosters (you lucky folks in the US who can get a 2nd), wash your hands, stay safe, wear your masks when you need to, and be well.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5