Drinks on Viking.

Dolebludger

4 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I am aware that Viking offers included drinks at lunch and dinner and from mini-bars in the suites. But is there a drink package that includes drinks in the lounges at other times?

The cost of the package is $19.95 per night per guest in USD; a package must be purchased for the full length of the cruise by all parties sharing a stateroom.Orders and full payment must be received no later than 7 days prior to departure.

Please enter total nights based on length of cruise and number of guests. The total price is calculated automatically.

Length of Cruise/ CruisePortion

Total Per Night Per Guest

Silver Spirits beverage package

Number of Guests*

Total

EXAMPLE : 7 nights

$19.95

$139.65

$279.30

8 nights

$19.95

$159

$318

*All guests sharing a stateroom must purchase the Silver Spirits beverage package.
No
te: Silver Spirits beverage package gift notififications will be delivered on embarkation day.

Beer and "house" wine is included in your fare at meal times. Higher end wine and hard liquors are not included in your fare. If you want something with spirits in it you will pay by the drink or you could get the Silver Spirits package. For some it is a good value. We have chosen not to get it. We don't drink a lot and the drink prices are quite reasonable. Don't forget you can also bring your own booze.

3 hours ago, Doortravel said:

The cost of the package is $19.95 per night per guest in USD; a package must be purchased for the full length of the cruise by all parties sharing a stateroom.Orders and full payment must be received no later than 7 days prior to departure.

Please enter total nights based on length of cruise and number of guests. The total price is calculated automatically.

Length of Cruise/ CruisePortion

Total Per Night Per Guest

Silver Spirits beverage package

Number of Guests*

Total

EXAMPLE : 7 nights

$19.95

$139.65

$279.30

8 nights

$19.95

$159

$318

*All guests sharing a stateroom must purchase the Silver Spirits beverage package.
No
te: Silver Spirits beverage package gift notififications will be delivered on embarkation day.

All this is correct but it can also be purchased onboard.  That’s how we have always done it. 

On 3/30/2022 at 6:20 PM, Doortravel said:

Orders and full payment must be received no later than 7 days prior to departure.

To further clarify. You can purchase the package in advance of sailing as a do-it-yourself transaction on MyVikingJourney. https://www.viking.com/myjourney/onboard-experience

The window for all advanced purchases (shorex, gratuities, drinks package etc.) and reservations closes 7 days prior to sailing; there is a black-out period while all the information is transmitted to the ship in the week prior to boarding. That is what the '7 days in advance of departure' business is all about.

Once you are on the ship, you can deal with anything that you didn't take care of in advance, including, as Clay pointed out, adding the drinks package.

Buy in advance or wait till you board? Good question. If you want to spread out payments, book before departure. If you have on board credits to spend (some can be used for advanced purchases and others cannot), you may want to wait until you board.

To buy or not to buy, it's your choice. Some people get the drinks package because it saves them money; others get it for the convenience and don't worry about breaking even.

Keep in mind all that is already complimentary without the package:

• coffee (including lattes, etc but excluding anything with a shot of liquor)/tea/hot chocolate are available 24/7 from the machines in the World Cafe or any bar (best barista is the Living Room Bar on Deck 1);
  • house wine, beer and soft drinks at lunch and dinner.
  • No corkage fee in the dining rooms for BYO wines.
  • BYO liquids may be consumed openly throughout the ship.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

To further clarify. You can purchase the package in advance of sailing as a do-it-yourself transaction on MyVikingJourney. https://www.viking.com/myjourney/onboard-experience

The window for all advanced purchases (shorex, gratuities, drinks package etc.) and reservations closes 7 days prior to sailing; there is a black-out period while all the information is transmitted to the ship in the week prior to boarding. That is what the '7 days in advance of departure' business is all about.

Once you are on the ship, you can deal with anything that you didn't take care of in advance, including, as Clay pointed out, adding the drinks package.

Buy in advance or wait till you board? Good question. If you want to spread out payments, book before departure. If you have on board credits to spend (some can be used for advanced purchases and others cannot), you may want to wait until you board.

To buy or not to buy, it's your choice. Some people get the drinks package because it saves them money; others get it for the convenience and don't worry about breaking even.

Keep in mind all that is already complimentary without the package:

• coffee (including lattes, etc but excluding anything with a shot of liquor)/tea/hot chocolate are available 24/7 from the machines in the World Cafe or any bar (best barista is the Living Room Bar on Deck 1);
  • house wine, beer and soft drinks at lunch and dinner.
  • No corkage fee in the dining rooms for BYO wines.
  • BYO liquids may be consumed openly throughout the ship.

I don't get the convenience argument so many out forth. Either way you are ordering something to drink and paying for it. How can one way be more convenient than the other?

23 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I don't get the convenience argument so many out forth. Either way you are ordering something to drink and paying for it. How can one way be more convenient than the other?

Not having to sign for anything makes it convenient.

2 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

Not having to sign for anything makes it convenient.

You don’t have to “sign” for anything on Viking. You just give your room number. We just left the Sea today after a two week cruise and had less than $100 in extra bar charges.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Think of the Silver Spirits package as pre-paying your bar chit. No bill at the end of the cruise, for some this is "convenient". For us the Silver Service package isn't appropriate. I take it we can put you in the "no Silver Service" column as well

48 minutes ago, duquephart said:

There are people, like me, who cannot help but keep score in their heads. I hesitate at a bar before ordering a Knob Creek Rye ($9) over a Jim Beam ($5.50), or a Brazin Zin ($8.50) rather than the House Red ($4.50). The package removes that kind of stress. Of course, it replaces the stress with "Am I taking full use of the $20 per day drink allowance?" aspect. So it's a tossup for me. At the moment we're not buying the package for our next cruise.

Edited by austinetc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

I agree.  They still ask your room number (until they learn it) and you get charged either way.  The difference is if it goes on your bill or not...  On the Inaugural WC I questioned why they kept asking for room numbers when we all had everything included on the cruise and was told it was for inventory.  As well as who they lost money on.......   Andy???🍺

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Think of the Silver Spirits package as pre-paying your bar chit. No bill at the end of the cruise, for some this is "convenient". For us the Silver Service package isn't appropriate. I take it we can put you in the "no Silver Service" column as well

I doubt we would "break even" with the SS package. Maybe they should call it the HH (Hard Hitters) package instead? That said, the automatic upgraded wines might appeal to us and we do have quite a bit of OBS/SBC to use up (or lose).

• Like 1

Just now, duquephart said:

I doubt we would "break even" with the SS package. Maybe they should call it the HH (Hard Hitters) package instead? That said, the automatic upgraded wines might appeal to us and we do have quite a bit of OBS/SBC to use up (or lose).

If you have onboard credit and are looking for ways to use it then you could buy better wines by the bottle and your drinks ala carte and not have much of a bill or any at the end. Just keep track of it while onboard, of course for some that would be "inconvenient". Cheers 🍷

50 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I agree.  They still ask your room number (until they learn it) and you get charged either way.  The difference is if it goes on your bill or not...  On the Inaugural WC I questioned why they kept asking for room numbers when we all had everything included on the cruise and was told it was for inventory.  As well as who they lost money on.......   Andy???🍺

No need to ask for my room number, as they had my personal IPA stash and various bottles at the bars with my name on them. You could go to the LR Bar and request a glass of Port from Andy's bottle. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We purchased the Silver Spirits package because we had a large FCV to use up before we boarded.  I had already upgraded our cabin and purchased optional excursions but needed something else to use up our remaining credits.  Otherwise, we would not have purchased it because we seldom upgrade wines and did not drink that much.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

No need to ask for my room number, as they had my personal IPA stash and various bottles at the bars with my name on them. You could go to the LR Bar and request a glass of Port from Andy's bottle. 😁

Nothing quite like a nice glass of port to finish a great  meal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I heard tales from the Magical Mystery Tour that the remaining 8 drank for 800....🍺

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Nothing quite like a nice glass of port to finish a great  meal.

May I suggest requesting the Grahams 6-grapes, as it is the better of the 2 options. Not all bars do stock it, but upon request, they will go fetch you a bottle. We had 1 or 2 Ports in the restaurant most nights.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I heard tales from the Magical Mystery Tour that the remaining 8 drank for 800....🍺

Refuse to comment, lest it be self-incriminating.

In our defense, we did have 460 crew assisting.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Heidi13 said:

May I suggest requesting the Grahams 6-grapes, as it is the better of the 2 options. Not all bars do stock it, but upon request, they will go fetch you a bottle. We had 1 or 2 Ports in the restaurant most nights.

Thanks for the tip, that may have to be my follow up on my steak dinner and prime rib dinner.

• Like 2