Is cruising around Aussie classified as International OR Domestic???

On 4/2/2022 at 2:46 PM, Ozwoody said:

Yes your right, but I was meaning in context of not being part of Australia domestically.

I knew Christmas Island isn't, are there others?

Willis Island is part of Australia's Coral Sea Islands Territory, which is an overseas territory just the same as the Australian Antarctic Territory and the Indian Ocean Territories of Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

You can find out more about Australia's Territories (both overseas & mainland) here:

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/territories-regions-cities/australian-territories

46 minutes ago, nermal9900 said:

this is something I didn't bother looking into but will check with centrelink on this one.I get a DSP and work for a disability enterprise as well but I am sure unless it goes into international  waters it's domestic

A Queensland coastal cruise that passes Willis Island is classified as 'international' for the purposes of duty free goods because it goes outside Australian territorial waters. Insurance companies classify it as 'international' because the medical facilities on board are not covered by Medicare or the states' Health Departments. However, such cruises are classified as 'domestic' in another way. Passengers  can board with a driver's licence or Medicare card, rather than a passport, although this has not always been the case. Presumably this is because the ship does not stop at an international port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nermal9900 said:

this is something I didn't bother looking into but will check with centrelink on this one.I get a DSP and work for a disability enterprise as well but I am sure unless it goes into international  waters it's domestic

You will need 'International Travel Insurance.'  No medicare on the ships and the doctors charge like wounded bulls, believe me, been there, done that.

• Like 1

Like many I have been doing the travel insurance research for a cruise up the cost of Qld and one from Adelaide to Fremantle .

I had a look at Medibank PDS for domestic travel which was interesting

When don’t I need to add Cruise Cover?

You don’t need to add cruise cover if You are:

are cruising in Australia (e.g. on the Murray River) or in Australian coastal waters (e.g. a Kimberley Cruise);

What about a cruise?

From a port in Australia to another port or ports in Australia without any stopover at a port outside of Australia (e.g. a ‘Sampler Cruise’, a cruise from Sydney to Brisbane) - these cruises go outside of Australian Coastal Waters – Please choose or enter “Domestic Cruising”.

So  our cruise from Adelaide to Fremantle is covered by their domestic policy but the Qld coastal cruise is not because it goes around Willis Is. Pretty sure the remoteness of the Kimberley would be a higher risk than coastal Qld

3 minutes ago, Patois said:

Like many I have been doing the travel insurance research for a cruise up the cost of Qld and one from Adelaide to Fremantle .

are cruising in Australia (e.g. on the Murray River) or in Australian coastal waters (e.g. a Kimberley Cruise);

What about a cruise?

From a port in Australia to another port or ports in Australia without any stopover at a port outside of Australia (e.g. a ‘Sampler Cruise’, a cruise from Sydney to Brisbane) - these cruises go outside of Australian Coastal Waters – Please choose or enter “Domestic Cruising”.

So  our cruise from Adelaide to Fremantle is covered by their domestic policy but the Qld coastal cruise is not because it goes around Willis Is. Pretty sure the remoteness of the Kimberley would be a higher risk than coastal Qld

What is the cost of the Medibank insurance?

12 minutes ago, Patois said:

What about a cruise?

No.  Adelaide to Freo would leave Australian Coastal Waters while crossing the Bight.  For travel insurance purposes, it's exactly the same as a GBR cruise to Willis Island.

The difference is that medical treatment inside Australian Coastal Waters is covered by Medicare.  Medical treatment outside of these waters is not - and it's hideously expensive as a result.

As a general rule, if you're getting on a big white virus incubator, then you'll need "Domestic Cruising" travel insurance.  If you're getting on a small boat that doesn't leave coastal waters, then you don't.

14 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

No.  Adelaide to Freo would leave Australian Coastal Waters while crossing the Bight.  For travel insurance purposes, it's exactly the same as a GBR cruise to Willis Island.

The difference is that medical treatment inside Australian Coastal Waters is covered by Medicare.  Medical treatment outside of these waters is not - and it's hideously expensive as a result.

As a general rule, if you're getting on a big white virus incubator, then you'll need "Domestic Cruising" travel insurance.  If you're getting on a small boat that doesn't leave coastal waters, then you don't.

As I am not getting on one of those big white incubators it will be same as Kimberley cruise.

18 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Medical treatment on cruise ships isn't covered by Medicare, even if the ship is tied up at the wharf in one of our cities. The ship-board medical centres are run as a business.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Medical treatment on cruise ships isn't covered by Medicare, even if the ship is tied up at the wharf in one of our cities. The ship-board medical centres are run as a business.

I was told that by one of the ships doctors, they get the money and pay a percentage to the cruise line, in Princess Cruises case anyway they are not employed by the line, but contracted.

This is an interesting reply I received from Allianz when I enquired as to whether I needed Domestic or International cover for cruise to Hobart.

"As your journey is only in Australia, you can select domestic cover and choose cruise pack as additional cover to be covered while you are cruising".

28 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

This is an interesting reply I received from Allianz when I enquired as to whether I needed Domestic or International cover for cruise to Hobart.

"As your journey is only in Australia, you can select domestic cover and choose cruise pack as additional cover to be covered while you are cruising".

The cruise pack at additional cost is an option offered under some travel insurance policies. Allianz also underwrites the ANZ platinum insurance, but it covers cruises. Cruising isn't an optional extra.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 hour ago, valantine80 said:

Yes, that is how they are selling it. If you go to the Allianz website and do a quote it asks if you want to add a cruise pack, when you add it, it gives unlimited Medical and Evacuation which is what you need for a cruise to be covered for any situation. So no matter what destination you put in to start with, when you add the Cruise pack it gives the full cover.

This is how they describe a cruise 

What’s a cruise?

Leisure or holiday travel as a passenger on-board a commercially operated sea or ocean-going vessel which has on-board accommodation and trained medical staff, whether or not the travel includes stopping at ports or other locations for sightseeing.

Please note, you don’t need to purchase a cruise pack if:

you’re only participating in river cruising, this is automatically covered with your plan; or

you’re only cruising in Australian waters as a passenger on a vessel which does not have on-board accommodation and trained medical staff. For example, a half-day catamaran cruise around the Whitsunday Islands.

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

A domestic cruse insurance will not cover you if something happens. Even if in Australian waters. Medivac is $$$$. 

That is what I had always understood so I find that statement from Allianz a little confusing. Maybe need to read the PDS in full.

We have been previously denied cover on the ANZ credit card insurance due to pre existing condiitions.

35 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

That is what I had always understood so I find that statement from Allianz a little confusing. Maybe need to read the PDS in full.

We have been previously denied cover on the ANZ credit card insurance due to pre existing condiitions.

It is most confusing,I have messaged them  for clarification  so I will have something in black and white as to which cover I was  under,.

I did a dummy quote for Vanuatu which actually came out a few dollars cheaper than the Domestic with cruise pack added so I’m guessing what cheznandy said is correct.

Cheers Carole

clarification 

P&O Australia say insurance is not compulsory but a good International insurance policy is highly recommended 🤷‍♂️.

New Caledonia will deny entry without appropriate insurance.! And cruise ship ban is still in place. Screenshot_20220423-002141_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7e64ef7e4dc6918901d41b9cc43f9b1a.jpg

Screenshot_20220423-000441_Chrome.thumb.jpg.32e7cfd49b66d0fc1d783dc652f652e0.jpg

40 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

New Caledonia says they will deny entry to anyone who doesn't have travel insurance, but we have never had them, or the cruiseline, check that we have insurance.

That's great,  sounds like you never needed medical attention let alone medivac. I get yearly cover more policy and luckily I did .Was bitten by a fresh water bug at one of the blue water holes in Vanuatu. Got Celluites in the leg .10 hours in on ship medical then daily intravenous antibiotic for three days. Was B2B next cruise was Melbourne Tasmania and cover more approved to stay onboard if I had check ups at hospitals. Onboard one antibiotic pill was US $42. Something that a Au $5.90 script gets you a bottle of 30 .

Just now, Hogbay said:

That's great,  sounds like you never needed medical attention let alone medivac. I get yearly cover more policy and luckily I did .Was bitten by a fresh water bug at one of the blue water holes in Vanuatu. Got Celluites in the leg .10 hours in on ship medical then daily intravenous antibiotic for three days. Was B2B next cruise was Melbourne Tasmania and cover more approved to stay onboard if I had check ups at hospitals. Onboard one antibiotic pill was US $42. Something that a Au $5.90 script gets you a bottle of 30 .

Sorry you had such a medical problem. That sounds nasty.

I have only had medical attention on a ship once after I hurt my foot while ashore and that was 12-15 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the fee charged for the minor medical procedure I required, followed by check-ups. We take our own antibiotics to use in case we get a cold/flu that turns to bronchitis. My GP knows what antibiotics I need and it isn't 500mg of amoxicillin (probably the most commonly-prescribed antibiotic). BTW, I don't take this medication unless I need it, and usually end up having to throw it away when it has reached the expiry date.

However, we have always had travel insurance mainly for the medical/evacuation aspect.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Sorry you had such a medical problem. That sounds nasty.

I have only had medical attention on a ship once after I hurt my foot while ashore and that was 12-15 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the fee charged for the minor medical procedure I required, followed by check-ups. We take our own antibiotics to use in case we get a cold/flu that turns to bronchitis. My GP knows what antibiotics I need and it isn't 500mg of amoxicillin (probably the most commonly-prescribed antibiotic). BTW, I don't take this medication unless I need it, and usually end up having to throw it away when it has reached the expiry date.

However, we have always had travel insurance mainly for the medical/evacuation aspect.

We do the same. The only antibiotic that works for me if I get bronchitis is Augmentin Duo Forte. My GP also recommends we take Keflex as well for other types of bacterial infections.

However since I had the pneumonia vaccine a few years ago I haven't had any bronchitis. Fingers crossed it will stay that way.

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We do the same. The only antibiotic that works for me if I get bronchitis is Augmentin Duo Forte. My GP also recommends we take Keflex as well for other types of bacterial infections.

However since I had the pneumonia vaccine a few years ago I haven't had any bronchitis. Fingers crossed it will stay that way.

We also get Augmentin Duo but with Rulide in addition if the infection is particularly severe. I find that by having the antibiotics on hand, I can start them immediately I decide my infection is getting worse, rather than waiting for the medical hours on a ship, or getting a doctor's appointment at home. By hitting the infection and not losing more time, I can usually stop it in its tracks. I do not use the medications unnecessarily.

Edited by Aus Traveller

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We also get Augmentin Duo but with Rulide in addition if the infection is particularly severe. I find that by having the antibiotics on hand, I can start them immediately I decide my infection is getting worse, rather than waiting for the medical hours on a ship, or getting a doctor's appointment at home. By hitting the infection and not losing more time, I can usually stop it in its tracks. I do not use the medications unnecessarily.

Ditto and with bronchitis it's very obvious when a cold/flu cough has developed that secondary bacterial infection.

IN an insurance update, Covermore, was the company recommended on the Princess website. When I looked into it, particularly looking at covid cover because of the unknown, the specifically stated there was NO covid cover on multi night cruises! I actually took screenshots of this and sent them to my PVP asking how can they be recommending when they don't cover cruising lol. He submitted to his supervisors. Anyway, this week, I saw Covermore had now changed and were now including covid cover. You select the cancellation rate which takes the policy up from $380 for no cancellation cover right up to unlimited cancellation cover costing $2700.

The main thing is covid medical etc are all unlimited, in the unlikely event it is required. For the cruise we are looking to book for, its not a hugely expensive one (Melbourne to NZ return) so would not be overly concerned and would only be choosing smaller cover.

I presume many more insurance companies will start tweaking their policies as confidence in cruising grows.