The Daily for Saturday 04/02/2022

richwmn

22 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I always carry a corkscrew and have never had it confiscated.  Should the unthinkable happen, just ask your cabin steward for one.

That made me laugh!

I usually have asked, but sometimes the corkscrew isnt handy, and I'm not expecting to see a lot of the Room Stewards, with them only coming in one time a day. 🙂

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

A quick question for Dailyites-  Are we able to bring a small corkscrew? We are driving to the dock.....

The corkscrew in question is one of the cheapies, and is not attached to any knife, etc. All i find in the current KBYG is no knives over scissors over 2 1/2" blades. 

There is a  corkscrew beside the ice bucket in our cabin on Koningsdam.

It you tell your cabin steward you want twice day service, you will get it.   Or you can do what we do, and just hang out the "Tidy Up" sign out in the morning and evening, and you'll get twice a day service.

Since the Koningsdam has been  sailing at less than 50% capacity, our steward does not have many cabins, so we don't see him in the halls as much.

Lenda

• Like 12

2 hours ago, kplady said:

Good afternoon - from HOME!

I had my surgery yesterday afternoon, and was discharged from the hospital this afternoon.  All is good, and I'm definitely happy to be home.  

Such good news to hear 🙂. Welcome home !

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So we got our PCR tests back from Walgreens.  Both tests were rejected because the samples were compromised during shipment to the lab.

So we wasted an hour of our time yesterday for nothing.

Thankfully we do not need to have a negative test to enter Spain.

Thanks Walgreens for wasting our time yesterday.  Won’t do that one again.

Terri

Oh dear - so sorry to hear Terri - so frustrating 😔 

41 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I always carry a corkscrew and have never had it confiscated.  Should the unthinkable happen, just ask your cabin steward for one.

We aways had a cork screw too.  never know when you need it pre-cruise 😉 and it makes life easier if there isn’t one in your cabin.

@TiogaCruiserjust be sure to pack it in your luggage when you are flying and when you are boarding the ship, in your carry on.  that way if they want to look at it they can and you can fight 😉 

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So we got our PCR tests back from Walgreens.  Both tests were rejected because the samples were compromised during shipment to the lab.

So we wasted an hour of our time yesterday for nothing.

Thankfully we do not need to have a negative test to enter Spain.

Thanks Walgreens for wasting our time yesterday.  Won’t do that one again.

Terri

Are you going to Lisbon or Rome?

Roy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

A quick question for Dailyites-  Are we able to bring a small corkscrew? We are driving to the dock.....

The corkscrew in question is one of the cheapies, and is not attached to any knife, etc. All i find in the current KBYG is no knives over scissors over 2 1/2" blades. 

I never travel without a corkscrew in my luggage. There are some risks only a fool would take. It has never been confiscated.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Put in your checked luggage for TSA and HAL security purposes. We had one confiscated br TSA a couple of years ago from carry on. And had one questioned by port security in Cadiz a while back also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tjcox9 said:

Put in your checked luggage for TSA and HAL security purposes. We had one confiscated br TSA a couple of years ago from carry on. And had one questioned by port security in Cadiz a while back also.

i agree,.  I had a corkscrew in my carryon and it was confiscated by the TSA.  Put it in checked luggage.

Terri

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kplady said:

I had my surgery yesterday afternoon, and was discharged from the hospital this afternoon.  All is good, and I'm definitely happy to be home.  Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers, they definitely helped!!

Laura

I'm delighted to hear your surgery went well and you are now home Laura.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were in Saipan in 2005 on the Pacific Princess cruise of the Islands of the Pacific Theater.  That was the day we flew to Tinian, but we still had time to tour Saipan.  We stopped at the Hard Rock Cafe for t-shirts, but no pictures.  My pictures center more on the battle for Saipan in 1944.

American Memorial Park

image.thumb.png.167eed2eaebdddf8b7aa745417123791.png

IMG_4971.thumb.JPG.513eb516bbb487bb005c91a4291c803f.JPG

IMG_4972.thumb.JPG.a1c5cc60273f38c99a4e54d10ac17653.JPG

I believe these are Suicide Cliff and Banzai Cliff, where about 1000 Japanese jumped to their deaths rather than be captured by the American forces.  I am not sure which is which.

IMG_4976.thumb.JPG.77abc234cf016857d4b26452efb780de.JPG

IMG_4977.thumb.JPG.3124252650e702941674a62cd39e0d41.JPG

Japanese memorials on top of the cliffs

IMG_4981.thumb.JPG.d473ce7aa76e18edf7afb0048b4d00bf.JPG

IMG_4980.thumb.JPG.f774dc1420846146f3db987b5c594809.JPG

The last Japanese Command Post from the cliff top and from ground level.  The sea spray has not been kind to the military equipment left behind.

IMG_4982.thumb.JPG.0e678296737122cf402b4488b94e0999.JPG

IMG_5004.thumb.JPG.2303d1fe5965f6543ccd911742ed5442.JPG

IMG_4997.thumb.JPG.843b9a767691f6506423c3538ba5af72.JPG

IMG_4999.thumb.JPG.23e18f223680d04c004cff7ff35ae85f.JPG

Another memorial

IMG_4990.thumb.JPG.6f09a37d7b39581496b09bcb536b1c57.JPG

Bird Island, a bird observatory 

IMG_4994.thumb.JPG.36b0570280f7fb61e40aebbe0f28ea7e.JPG

Some pretty flowers along the road

IMG_5007.thumb.JPG.e18ba070b20518e8ed3b0bcc74c68eca.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

Thank you for posting them as it certainly helps to see what a place is like that we have never been to.

Graham.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kplady said:

I had my surgery yesterday afternoon, and was discharged from the hospital this afternoon.  All is good, and I'm definitely happy to be home.  Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers, they definitely helped!!

Laura

It is great that you are home.  You do heal faster at home than in the hospital.  Remember ice is your best friend for the next couple of weeks.  Except at night.  Then you need something much stronger.  

• Like 1