Caribbean Princess cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver for tomorrow cancelled

MJU

1 minute ago, pamps2801 said:

Princess handling of passengers because of this cancellation is Absolutely Horrible. Princess was suppose to book us back to Canada, but they messed up and booked a flight to Miami. Now all they have to say is WHOOPS, Sorry, nothing we can do, your on your own, as it’s Sunday, and staff at head office is DRASTICALLY Reduced. Book it yourself they said, and send us the bills. We all know how that’s going to turn out, lucky if you get reimbursed this year with all the excuses Princess will have once they see  your claims. They’ll try everything in their power to deny the claims. Or limit your claims to half. Seen it before. 
  Again, what a HORRIBLE WAY to treat customers. Unbelievable. 

Well,  that is just awful!  So, now you have to find your own flights home to Canada?  You really must take this up the chain of command with Princess when you get home.  Did you use a travel agent or a PVP who could go to bat for you?  Sorry you’re going through this.

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Well,  that is just awful!  So, now you have to find your own flights home to Canada?  You really must take this up the chain of command with Princess when you get home.  Did you use a travel agent or a PVP who could go to bat for you?  Sorry you’re going through this.

No need for a travel agent as the cruise was suppose to end in Vancouver, our home. So as mentioned,  we’re literally left out on the street to deal with a problem that Princess Created. 

Edited by pamps2801
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

No need for a travel agent as the cruise was suppose to end in Vancouver, our home. So as mentioned,  we’re literally left out on the street to deal with a problem that Princess Created. 

That is infuriating. I am genuinely sorry you are going through this. 

At times like these I wish we were allowed to recommend TAs here. Mine is a dear friend and a fierce advocate for his clients, including international ones. I've witnessed him working his tail off, even while cruising, to get people where they need to be. 

---

Yes, I completely understand why recommendations are not allowed.

10 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

I understand and I feel terrible for your very bad experience.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Hmmm, I must have missed the part where someone claimed to be an expert.  I thought they were just sharing information.  If you’re not enjoying this thread, please feel free to move on.

I will comment as I choose so long as I remain with CC terms.

You can leave if you object.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

Princess handling of passengers because of this cancellation is Absolutely Horrible. Princess was suppose to book us back to Canada, but they messed up and booked a flight to Miami. Now all they have to say is WHOOPS, Sorry, nothing we can do, your on your own, as it’s Sunday, and staff at head office is DRASTICALLY Reduced. Book it yourself they said, and send us the bills. We all know how that’s going to turn out, lucky if you get reimbursed this year with all the excuses Princess will have once they see  your claims. They’ll try everything in their power to deny the claims. Or limit your claims to half. Seen it before. That’s all I need is sending Princess 50 emails and 50 phone calls enquiring when will I be reimbursed after their Mess of cancelling the cruise. 
  Again, what a HORRIBLE WAY to treat customers. Unbelievable. 

Wait, they accidentally booked you to MIAMI FL instead of CANADA!  

17 hours ago, atexsix said:

Really?  Wow!  Portland isn't a major seaport, kind of a strange place for a drydock, you'd think there was some place closer?

Of course they wouldn't stay onboard, you really think I thought that?

Portland has the largest floating dry dock in North America and has over 20 years of cruise ship repairs and refurbishment and the ships travel up the Columbia River about 75 nautical miles. Many cruise lines bring their ships to Portland when they are on the West Coast.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gorge girl said:

Portland has the largest floating dry dock in North America and has over 20 years of cruise ship repairs and refurbishment and the ships travel up the Columbia River about 75 nautical miles. Many cruise lines bring their ships to Portland when they are on the West Coast.

Yes many cruise lines use our facilities all year long. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Here’s where the dry dock theory seems implausible. Dry docks are booked years in advance. They don’t suddenly decide to add four more days to them at the last minute. People on the ship are saying its COVID related and I have no doubt that is true. 

If you don't believe it is going to dry dock in Portland, watch marinetraffic.com and you can see where it goes when it leaves SF.  Showing it sitting in SF right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, atexsix said:

Really?  Wow!  Portland isn't a major seaport, kind of a strange place for a drydock, you'd think there was some place closer?

Not really strange when you consider the environmental regulations in California, and the fact that ship repair is a highly toxic industries.  NIMBY.  The only shipyards in California do newbuilding, limited amount for commercial shipping, and heavy into Naval building.  Whole different business model for ship repair to newbuilding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Here’s where the dry dock theory seems implausible. Dry docks are booked years in advance. They don’t suddenly decide to add four more days to them at the last minute. People on the ship are saying its COVID related and I have no doubt that is true. 

Just because a ship is going to a shipyard a few days early does not mean it is going into drydock early.  Many, many jobs, particularly those in the passenger facing areas could be done without ever seeing a drydock, and Princess may feel a need to schedule more time for these non-critical jobs, particularly given the supply chain issues currently, given that most carpeting, for instance, comes from India.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just because a ship is going to a shipyard a few days early does not mean it is going into drydock early.  Many, many jobs, particularly those in the passenger facing areas could be done without ever seeing a drydock, and Princess may feel a need to schedule more time for these non-critical jobs, particularly given the supply chain issues currently, given that most carpeting, for instance, comes from India.

Unlikely since these items were ordered well in advance.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Making a last-minute decision (well 2 days which is last-minute to me as far a cruise industry) to throw away all that cash because of a schedule change to Dry Dock they booked and planned on years ago just does not add up (mostly because the cruise ship needs to go that path anyways).

I suspect they have embarked a few hundred contractors to begin the work that will be done in the shipyard, things like taking out all the carpeting, moving furniture from cabins for carpeting, or for renewal of upholstery.  I have experienced a two day "dead-head" cruise with contractors tearing the ship apart, with 10 or so dumpsters on deck, that were filled before we got to the shipyard.  As I say, with today's supply chain problems, they may now need more time at the end of the shipyard, when late arriving materials arrive, so let's get the prep work done sooner.

• Like 6

On 4/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, atexsix said:

I'm sure that's the truth, the covid situation merely complicated it, making it a mixture of several factors....why not kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone?  Get all pax off.  And prepare the ship good for the lucrative Alaska season. 

sounds more like a very simple answer….not hard…they needed to move the dry dock up..thats it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, atexsix said:

Ummmm. It’s called PORTland 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Unlikely since these items were ordered well in advance.

And how much stuff is ordered now, and is still experiencing delivery delays.  We used to get this for shipyard items, when the supply chain was working perfectly.  We ended up carrying tons of carpet onboard, and carpet layers for weeks after a 2004 shipyard, because the mill experienced delays.  Trust me, I know the logistics of a shipyard repair period, as I've been in charge of many, from the initial job specifications through the bidding and negotiation, to the supervision of the actual project, to the final bill negotiation and paying.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I suspect they have embarked a few hundred contractors to begin the work that will be done in the shipyard, things like taking out all the carpeting, moving furniture from cabins for carpeting, or for renewal of upholstery.  I have experienced a two day "dead-head" cruise with contractors tearing the ship apart, with 10 or so dumpsters on deck, that were filled before we got to the shipyard.  As I say, with today's supply chain problems, they may now need more time at the end of the shipyard, when late arriving materials arrive, so let's get the prep work done sooner.

We’re booked on the CP on the first cruise after dry dock leaving SF on Apr 26 for an 18 day Panama Canal cruise. Definitely looking forward to not only experiencing any enhancements applied during the dry dock but also enjoying the fact the ship will be C19 free for almost 4 weeks!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

enjoying the fact the ship will be C19 free for almost 4 weeks!

Really?  Those hundreds of contractors that do all the hotel renovations, as well as technical representatives of much of the technical equipment will be living onboard for the entire drydock, as is the typical process.  Why would this demographic be any different than the general population.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Really?  Those hundreds of contractors that do all the hotel renovations, as well as technical representatives of much of the technical equipment will be living onboard for the entire drydock, as is the typical process.  Why would this demographic be any different than the general population.

Good point!

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

stop giving educated possibilities.     it makes other posters look bad

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re booked on the CP on the first cruise after dry dock leaving SF on Apr 26 for an 18 day Panama Canal cruise. Definitely looking forward to not only experiencing any enhancements applied during the dry dock but also enjoying the fact the ship will be C19 free for almost 4 weeks!

The clocks are guaranteed to be working.  That will be a BIGGIE

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Gen'l population in Oregon of covid is at record lows

For some reason, cruise population may have a higher incidence.  still unknown.

Most people do not test themselves unless they are experiencing symptoms.

Same cannot be said for a category of cruise pax.

7 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Gen'l population in Oregon of covid is at record lows

For some reason, cruise population may have a higher incidence.  still unknown.

Most people do not test themselves unless they are experiencing symptoms.

Same cannot be said for a category of cruise pax.

The vast majority of sub-contractors used for cruise ship repairs and refurbishment are not local to Portland, they will be from Europe, Malaysia, Indonesia, or the Philippines.  The shipyard does the mechanical repairs and work on things under the waterline, while the cruise line sub-contracts out nearly all of the work to companies that specialize in cruise ship refurbishments.

• Like 4