Caribbean Princess cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver for tomorrow cancelled

MJU

2 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Global News (Toronto) reported tonight that the due to the # of Covid cases onboard, the Caribbean Princess (which was the first cruise ship to dock in Canada since the pandemic started) would not be proceeding to Vancouver.

And Princess is saying dry dock.

CDC to investigate Covid cases- orange level.  

7 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Perhaps we shouldn’t spread rumours.  

Wise, woman. Very, very wise.

Yet there will always be those who revel in rumor mongering. Especially when the opportunity presents itself to dwell further on the C virus. 

SMH

Edited by Bgwest
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Work in progress. Hopefully Princess and Canada will have this COVID thing all figure out before the Alaska season officially starts in a few weeks.

Hopefully they'll have it figured out before my rt SF cruise 4/23/22 with 2 stops in Canada: Vancouver and Victoria 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

All of the passengers would have been off the ship 4 days later anyway.  They would not stay onboard for drydock.  And the Caribbean Princess is headed back to the Caribbean where it will stay for the summer season.

Really?  Wow!  Portland isn't a major seaport, kind of a strange place for a drydock, you'd think there was some place closer?

Of course they wouldn't stay onboard, you really think I thought that?

Just now, pamps2801 said:

Anyone who is on the ship with us, receive their flight or hotel information yet ? We haven’t. 

We have not gotten any information yet... Although we have been told it was in the works early yesterday. We have been in covid ward cabin and knew we would be disembarked in SF. Our origin flights were through princess and we assured repeatedly  BEFORE vancouver was cancelled that they would make changes and let us know. We could /should have just booked our own flights. Now there is only a late night visible on Expedia. Last we were told is that flight information will be delivered to stateroom by 7pm. I'll believe it when I see it. Been a frustrating wait.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Global News (Toronto) reported tonight that the due to the # of Covid cases onboard, the Caribbean Princess (which was the first cruise ship to dock in Canada since the pandemic started) would not be proceeding to Vancouver.

Broadcast news is not known for worrying about what is true and what is not true. They just care about sensationalism. I would take anything they have to say on the matter with a grain (about a 1 ton grain) of salt. They will latch onto a rumor and spread it without regard for the consequences. I really miss the days when they just broadcast verified facts and didn't slant the news to suit an agenda.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, jl88 said:

We have not gotten any information yet... Although we have been told it was in the works early yesterday. We have been in covid ward cabin and knew we would be disembarked in SF. Our origin flights were through princess and we assured repeatedly  BEFORE vancouver was cancelled that they would make changes and let us know. We could /should have just booked our own flights. Now there is only a late night visible on Expedia. Last we were told is that flight information will be delivered to stateroom by 7pm. I'll believe it when I see it. Been a frustrating wait.

Wow,more frustrated Princess passengers. Posts keep coming.

sorry you  and you’re traveling companion are in the Covid ward/deck .How long have you been in the Covid area? Did they tell you if you were going to have to stay in San Francisco in a hotel for isolation or that you’d be able to fly home? 

11 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Loving the breathless "IT'S DEFINITELY COVID" speculation, but it seems just as likely that the small number of passengers for a four-day sailing to Vancouver (before a scheduled dry dock) just wasn't financially feasible for the line to run?

I'm sure we'll get multiple CC members who chime in saying they were supposed to be boarding this voyage, but the vast majority of mainstream cruise line passengers aren't taking a 4 day, one way trip to Canada at the start of April.

There are a number of passengers currently on the ship who were booked all the way to Canada.

Princess had to get the ship to that area for drydock, so this short voyage was to get income instead of cruising with fuel expenses and the crew costs but with no income.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jl88 said:

If you're in the covid ward cabin wouldn't you be going to a hotel instead of getting on a plane?? 

• Like 2

Don’t consider myself as a conspiracy theorist. I do question things that do not add up though.

We don’t know the exact number of passengers booked from SF to Vancouver but, we know Princess as well as all the other Cruise Lines lost a ton of money and are trying everything they can to get cash ASAP.

Making a last-minute decision (well 2 days which is last-minute to me as far a cruise industry) to throw away all that cash because of a schedule change to Dry Dock they booked and planned on years ago just does not add up (mostly because the cruise ship needs to go that path anyways).

JMHU,

John

• Like 6

13 hours ago, atexsix said:

Really?  Wow!  Portland isn't a major seaport, kind of a strange place for a drydock, you'd think there was some place closer?

NCL Pride of America just completed an extensive dry dock there.  

5 hours ago, caribill said:

There are a number of passengers currently on the ship who were booked all the way to Canada.

Princess had to get the ship to that area for drydock, so this short voyage was to get income instead of cruising with fuel expenses and the crew costs but with no income.

Agree. 

I think that the CB's movements in the next few days will let us know more about the veracity of one claim or the other. If she ends up in drydock early and work starts right away, that's a good sign Princess is being more forthcoming. If work doesn't start early, well, rumors may have more validity than we know now.

• Like 2

Also if HAL's Koningsdam still goes to Victoria on April 9 then PCL's ships can still go there too. Perhaps what's going on with Caribbean Princess is limited to that one ship and we might never know the full story

Edited by Ombud

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Broadcast news is not known for worrying about what is true and what is not true. They just care about sensationalism. I would take anything they have to say on the matter with a grain (about a 1 ton grain) of salt. They will latch onto a rumor and spread it without regard for the consequences. I really miss the days when they just broadcast verified facts and didn't slant the news to suit an agenda.

If anyone is interested, here's the link I believe to the broadcast or at least it seems very similar.

Start of B.C. cruise season delayed as first planned arrival in Victoria scrapped | Globalnews.ca

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Wise, woman. Very, very wise.

Yet there will always be those who revel in rumor mongering. Especially when the opportunity presents itself to dwell further on the C virus. 

SMH

And those rumors always seem to be presented as facts. 
I'm sorry for folks who had their cruise cancelled so late in the game but stuff happens...and you just have to roll with it.   We were stuck on the Coral Princess two years ago at this time....and it had nothing to do with anything else but Covid.  You do what you have to do.

14 hours ago, atexsix said:

Swan Island in Portland has a huge dry dock facility. Many cruise ships get spruced up there 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Everyone is now an expert in drydock operations.

The equivalent of "I've been on 140 cruises, I am qualified to Captain a cruise ship.

Hmmm, I must have missed the part where someone claimed to be an expert.  I thought they were just sharing information.  If you’re not enjoying this thread, please feel free to move on.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Everyone is now an expert in drydock operations.

The equivalent of "I've been on 140 cruises, I am qualified to Captain a cruise ship.

I work there.  I probably DO know quite a bit about drydock operations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Princess handling of passengers because of this cancellation is Absolutely Horrible. Princess was suppose to book us back to Canada, but they messed up and booked a flight to Miami. Now all they have to say is WHOOPS, Sorry, nothing we can do, your on your own, as it’s Sunday, and staff at head office is DRASTICALLY Reduced. Book it yourself they said, and send us the bills. We all know how that’s going to turn out, lucky if you get reimbursed this year with all the excuses Princess will have once they see  your claims. They’ll try everything in their power to deny the claims. Or limit your claims to half. Seen it before. That’s all I need is sending Princess 50 emails and 50 phone calls enquiring when will I be reimbursed after their Mess of cancelling the cruise. 
  Again, what a HORRIBLE WAY to treat customers. Unbelievable. 

Edited by pamps2801
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2