Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, delondin said:

I’m so pleased you are having such a good time, especially when you consider the alternative stuck in the bowels of the ship. I’m trying to make the most of our missed maiden on Beyond by having drinks in the garden but it’s just not the same! 

As a matter of interest with both your’s and Iain’s symptoms being extremely mild would you have thought you needed to call medical on board to get tested? 

I really don't think I would have thought I had Covid, especially after testing negative.   I would have thought I had allergies to all the trees in bloom.     From others I thought a Temperature was the number one indicator.   Even the nurse, the only thing she did at our door was take our temperatures.  Both us were normal. 

• Like 1

Tomorrow we are shifting our abode.    I could only book this lovely place until May 6 as it has another booking starting tomorrow.   We will miss it. 

Since we only have one day before we fly to Scotland I booked the Airport Hilton near Terminal 5 for one night.   We just finished a tiddy up up and dropping off all of our recyclables.   That must mean it's Tea Time -    Iain decided to fix his own Scones this afternoon as he also like a bit of butter on his scones before the Strawberry Jam and Clotted Cream on top.  

For dinner we are having left over Pizza.   Last night we went to Eat Pizza for a wonderful meal.   It is owned and operated by a Romanian.   Really good meal and absolute perfect service to the level you would expect in a 5* restaurant.     Had we know the 12" Pizza's would be over packed 15" pizzas we would have only ordered one.    The deserts were extraordinary -  I had a pistachio Gelato Ball  with a nutty center.    Iain had the Tiramisu Cheese Cake.

4982DC9B-B516-4D06-896C-40EBFBC068AF.thumb.jpeg.065e6b719c11f4bd26421b19937e587f.jpeg

B7BEE4AC-7393-4B1C-87E5-56C6F7724FE8.thumb.jpeg.251d8d1c1d40b51daba6fc2587874f3e.jpeg

5FD368D9-7284-4C95-ADE8-DE74FE531862.thumb.jpeg.0ef834d8ccaf1065165b707bf7505785.jpeg

EBED9712-CE2D-46E1-9C54-A24318E4FB81.thumb.jpeg.1e22343b14e9b1d33b2ce405355c567c.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Jim,

After reading about your tea time, I went looking for clotted cream. Found it at my local Whole Foods and surprisingly also at Shoprite. Now to find scones (that I do not have to make).😁

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Jim,

After reading about your tea time, I went looking for clotted cream. Found it at my local Whole Foods and surprisingly also at Shoprite. Now to find scones (that I do not have to make).😁

Panera has scones, but I don’t know how authentic they are.  EM

• Thanks 1

I’m going to try this scone recipe later today:

https://www.cookingprofessionally.com/post/Traditional_British_Scones?msg_id=93485f43615b4732a1776759c467d578&md5=c4cffffa730543ef0cd6195f6164d5e2&cohort_id=13&utm_source=CP-&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CP-Retention-HeroLink

Y’all have talked about scones so much that I am now craving them. No clotted cream (I live in a podunk part of Virginia), but I do have homemade strawberry jam. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Costco also has scones.  They're so overloaded with sugar that I couldn't imagine putting jam on them.  However, I did smear just a small pat of Kerry Gold Irish Butter (also purchased at Costco) to tone down the sweetness.  I probably committed some culinary sin (like ordering a corned beef sandwich and a glass of milk in a NY Deli) but I'm a total novice.

• Like 1

We picked up two scones at the Cornish Bakery next door today on the way back.   Didn't realize how large they were until we got home.  One would have done fine.   Most of the scones we have purchase are raisin scones and moist, soft and crumbly.  Defiantly not real sweet or  loaded with sugar.  

Last Christmas my Ex-Wife made us some Scones... My god I could have driven a nail in with them.   They ended in the bin once she left.   It was a nice gesture or maybe she was trying to kill me.

• Haha 26

8 minutes ago, baggal said:

Costco also has scones.  They're so overloaded with sugar that I couldn't imagine putting jam on them.  However, I did smear just a small pat of Kerry Gold Irish Butter (also purchased at Costco) to tone down the sweetness.  I probably committed some culinary sin (like ordering a corned beef sandwich and a glass of milk in a NY Deli) but I'm a total novice.

I have done a bit of research as to why clotted cream is not available in America. At first glance it seems to be to do with pasteurized and not but then after further investigation it is to do with temperatures. It seems what the Uk consider pasteurized the US don’t. 

I’ve been making scones for years following “America’s Test Kitchen” recipe and procedure. I can’t recall having a scone in England so not sure how authentic the recipe is but they always come out tasty, melt in your mouth. The recipe is similar to the PP link. The egg is considered optional and makes the scone more cake like. I prefer not to add the egg. Definitely not sweet, more like short bread. The key is cold, cold butter and not to overwork the dough.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/kids/recipes/simple-cream-scones

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:
1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Since we only have one day before we fly to Scotland I booked the Airport Hilton near Terminal 5 for one night.  

The Chinese restaurant at that Hilton is fantastic. Better than what I've had in Beijing. Excellent hot and sour soup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delondin said:

I have done a bit of research as to why clotted cream is not available in America. At first glance it seems to be to do with pasteurized and not but then after further investigation it is to do with temperatures. It seems what the Uk consider pasteurized the US don’t. 

At least when I was taught to make clotted cream by a Welch lady.   The primary ingredients which is common in the UK and hard to fine in the U.S.  is Double Cream.   

One of my consulting gigs was an implementation of a ERP Computer system at Dairygold in Seattle.  It was amazing how U.S. Diary is so regulated and priced.   When milk first arrives at the plant it is tested and then enters production.    Initially all the milk is separated, pasteurized and homogenized.   Then the cream is then added back to  state government standards for whole milk and then also for 1%, 2% etc.   Also if it is flavored like chocolate it is done and then bottled.

Pricing is also really amazing.    There is a U.S. Butter Fat Index pricing that is issued each week and all prices are adjusted for every size from 1 tsp creamer to tank car loads.  

Back in the old days before pasteurization and homogenization when you milked a cow and let the milk sit the cream would naturally separate and what was on top is "Double Cream"    Its really rich and has a minimum fat content of 48%

Clotted cream is just slowly evaporated down further to about 85% butter fat.   No calories at all.   LOL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

The Chinese restaurant at that Hilton is fantastic. Better than what I've had in Beijing. Excellent hot and sour soup.

I'll make not of that.  I love soups and that sounds so good right now

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I’ve been making scones for years following “America’s Test Kitchen” recipe and procedure. I can’t recall having a scone in England so not sure how authentic the recipe is but they always come out tasty, melt in your mouth. The recipe is similar to the PP link. The egg is considered optional and makes the scone more cake like. I prefer not to add the egg. Definitely not sweet, more like short bread. The key is cold, cold butter and not to overwork the dough.

I can't imagine something from American test Kitchen not being fantastic.   Iain's Aunt was a professional Cook and she could really make fantastic Scones, Short Bread and Puff Pastry to perfection.  

She often would say  -  Cold Hands makes warm hearts"  

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Back in the old days before pasteurization and homogenization when you milked a cow and let the milk sit the cream would naturally separate and what was on top is "Double Cream"    Its really rich and has a minimum fat content of 48%

Clotted cream is just slowly evaporated down further to about 85% butter fat.   No calories at all.   LOL

Funny things calories. Easily destroyed. Last time were in Devon, the nice Lady in the tea rooms told me that jam counteracts the calories in the cream. It is a complex reaction and works on the same principle as an olive in a martini. Magic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

On 5/2/2022 at 11:38 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Finally a bit of fresh air.   We went to New Forest and had fun just wandering. Mostly cloudy skies but warm and dry. 

No need to worry about social distancing. 9CDF59CC-5245-4329-976F-B1CEC74E89DB.thumb.jpeg.d936df13726d6dc2930adc5688ea2758.jpeg

70BA4E84-DE71-4570-BCB7-831FB179BAC2.thumb.jpeg.8a0b03c9daae5017f43734862c7dee4f.jpeg

B90559AD-C428-4C49-B837-F53140153750.thumb.jpeg.803438dc8b6e29615036249e8b7cf279.jpeg

B346602A-A894-4127-9E05-ECFB62410339.thumb.jpeg.47c9e29202d44d03c9984db8e42bbb4b.jpeg

A charming little Cemetery 

26C239B8-4FE2-4C95-8A72-94CEA3614E6C.thumb.jpeg.65ecbe7b5497da7250e5805f98f49300.jpeg

4656BDC6-B4BF-4C9C-BCD8-64547AE97C6B.thumb.jpeg.c18c5a412c4e49692da25da4e104ecfb.jpeg

4B9A7202-2BCF-47E1-99A8-EF5519041F6A.thumb.jpeg.1455dd442a9bc95745f8cdcc0b577544.jpeg

I love the fact that they let the wild flowers grow and don't mow them down!  How very sweet; I LOVE wild flowers - God's gift to all of us!

• Like 3

Our daughter is visiting for Mothers day and making scones.  She knows daddy will provide the clotted cream. Easy to find in New York but in Hawaii….not so much. May both of you continue to have a safe and healthy journey and keep the food pictures coming lol!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Jim,

I'll have to look when I get home.    The clotted cream I've found in the U.S. is in a Jar and  a poor substitution to 'the Real thing"   But good when it is the only thing you can get.     Would love to find I am wrong.   

• Like 2

Jim, I know you’re going to think I’m crazy, but I’m almost enjoying the land portion of your trip more than I did the cruise portion!  I’m glad you didn’t have to stay holed up and were able to travel around and see the sights. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

I found some berry scones at my local McCaffery's in the bakery. Will try them shortly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll have to look when I get home.    The clotted cream I've found in the U.S. is in a Jar and  a poor substitution to 'the Real thing"   But good when it is the only thing you can get.     Would love to find I am wrong.   

Yes, this is in a small jar in the cold section and says Devonshire Clotted Cream on it.

3 hours ago, carolyn22 said:

I’m going to try this scone recipe later today:

https://www.cookingprofessionally.com/post/Traditional_British_Scones?msg_id=93485f43615b4732a1776759c467d578&md5=c4cffffa730543ef0cd6195f6164d5e2&cohort_id=13&utm_source=CP-&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CP-Retention-HeroLink

Y’all have talked about scones so much that I am now craving them. No clotted cream (I live in a podunk part of Virginia), but I do have homemade strawberry jam. 

I can bring the clotted cream when I come taste the scones!😁 LOL!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Thank you. I have bookmarked this link.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll make not of that.  I love soups and that sounds so good right now

Now I have to go hunting for real good Hot and Sour Soup!

I am really enjoying this thread. Please keep it going. I have made so many new food friends on top of learning about suites on cruisehips, ports, fantastic pictures, English holidays and what not!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1