Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

5 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

“We have had 3 times zone changes in the past 3 days and I didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning.   Really throwing me off so will have to leave for my walkand will get back later to get caught up.”

On our first Eastbound TA we were astonished at the toll the time zone changes made.  We were all out of sync, though we tried to ignore it.  But, like you, our sleeping patterns were definitely different.  As a result we definitely now prefer going west.   But I’d prefer going east on a ship any day compared to a plane.  

Joanie

Joanie is your preference due to the slow time change vs the all in one day change?  Or just the enjoyment of a cruise?

Edited by jagoffee

On 4/2/2022 at 8:41 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Welcome to our next Live Post -   We will be flying to Florida on Wednesday so thought I would get the Live post going this afternoon. 

I booked this TransAtlantic portion of this trip by mistake over 2 years ago.   Yea, you'll find that I'm not beyond making mistakes.     We were originally scheduled to do a TransAtlantic out of Rio de Janeiro  and as part of a B2B with a Rio to Buenos Aires.   They cancelled the cruise and I thought it was replaced with this one so I booked it.    After I booked it I realized it was out of FLL instead of Rio.      They next cancelled the other cruise so I ended up putting this trip together.

We were on the 11 Night before your TA. Looking forward to your reports and pictures.  I enjoy them a lot! Thank you for taking the time to do this. Have a wonderful time!!!!

Someone from our roll call invited us to see Suite 1616 and it was a WOW WOW WOW!

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

time zone has had a toll on Oceanview at 9 Am

It was the opposite on our West bound TA in Oct 2013. We had 6 time changes in all, due to Fall.

They eventually opened the Ocean View half an hour earlier, as many older passengers were waking up so early.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

09273AF8-CA9F-4AFD-A4CA-E1C7A9F87BCC.thumb.jpeg.6dfbddf74d557975883bebd23f70052a.jpeg

time zone has had a toll on Oceanview at 9 Am

It was actually slightly busier around 0830 but not much.

On QM2 eastbound crossings they put the clocks forward at midday rather than overnight. Captain does his noon broadcast then suddenly it’s a few minutes after 1pm. I found that less disruptive and crew said it’s much better for them too.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

On QM2 eastbound crossings they put the clocks forward at midday rather than overnight. Captain does his noon broadcast then suddenly it’s a few minutes after 1pm. I found that less disruptive and crew said it’s much better for them too.

That's an interesting idea. It would also prevent what happened to us last fall on an Alaska cruise. As usual, all evening, crew were reminding us to move our clocks back one hour: wait staff, sommelier, Cruise Director at the show, bartenders...

However, Room Service apparently did not get the memo, and knocked on the door at 5:00 in the morning. Oof.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, GREG781 said:

I see on Cruisemapper that it shows high seas today - the highest I have seen since following your journey. How are things feeling on the ship? Have a wonderful trip.

Yesterday really wasn't bad.   Not seeing much difference in the pax.   Today the seas are relative calm with maybe 3 foot seas.   Things are calming down nicely .

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Waiting to hear on your first port , in the Azores is that tomorrow? 

Yes we arrive in the Azores at 0800 tomorrow.    We are hoping for nice weather as we ard doing a whale watching excursion.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Hi Jim,

Hoping the seas have calmed! 

On the last Murano menu, I did not see the Lobster. Have they done away with it? We were on the Reflection a few weeks ago & it was delicious! 

So sorry to hear there are Covid cases onboard. Has the Captain made any announcement? 

Stay safe while enjoying yourselves!

Wow didn't notice that on the Stock Menu ---  Feel assured it is still on the menu.   I contemplated having it.

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes we arrive in the Azores at 0800 tomorrow.    We are hoping for nice weather as we ard doing a whale watching excursion.    

Did whale watching in Bar Harbour , didn’t see any whales but did see George Bush Sr out in his zodiac and the. Secret Service following him in in a speed boat 😁

5 hours ago, jimbri said:

I enjoyed the series also.

If you enjoyed the TV Series you would really like the books.   They are very similar but of course there was a lot taking out.    The books were one you couldn't put down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Very nice for sure... do you think they would pick up the fact that I was not a Concierge Level Passenger by just showing up??? LOL

Enjoy and bon voyage

Always a possibility.   I know when they have them for suites the host are there and pretty well know all the suite passengers by name.  

I'm guessing the Suites will have our sail away from the Retreat Sundeck.    Both were cancelled for sailaway from Bermuda.

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

“We have had 3 times zone changes in the past 3 days and I didn't wake up until 9:00 this morning.   Really throwing me off so will have to leave for my walkand will get back later to get caught up.”

On our first Eastbound TA we were astonished at the toll the time zone changes made.  We were all out of sync, though we tried to ignore it.  But, like you, our sleeping patterns were definitely different.  As a result we definitely now prefer going west.   But I’d prefer going east on a ship any day compared to a plane.  

Joanie

It took me almost 15 years to talk Iain into an Eastbound.   Surprisingly it isn't too bad as you can take a nap to recharge.    Sure a lot better than loosing 9 hours in one flight from SFO.

I definitely prefer Westbound but loved the itineraries that I could put together for a B3B

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Good morning, Jim.  Great to see that you are both enjoying your cruise.

Does the Luminae still have rotating lunch menus (maybe four?) Has the one with the Lobster Roll come up again?

Thanks.

Luminae has a 6 day rotation on the Lunch Menu and a 15 day rotation on the Dinner Menu. Not exactly sure how they are rotating them.   Today is Day  8 of the cruise and we had the Day 1 menu (the one with Lobster Roll) today.   Possibly since one day they were closed for Bermuda.

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We were on the 11 Night before your TA. Looking forward to your reports and pictures.  I enjoy them a lot! Thank you for taking the time to do this. Have a wonderful time!!!!

Someone from our roll call invited us to see Suite 1616 and it was a WOW WOW WOW!

I agree the Penthouse is amazing.   The bathroom alone is larger than most of the cabins on the ship. 

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

That's interesting way of doing it.   But with the fast crossing I guess it is necessary. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Did whale watching in Bar Harbour , didn’t see any whales but did see George Bush Sr out in his zodiac and the. Secret Service following him in in a speed boat 😁

We've done whale watching in Alaska and probably saw 40-50.    The next day while in Prince Rupert Point While docked we saw lots from the ship and then when set sail there was a huge pod bubble feeding

The only reason we are doing the excursion is to burn off some OBC. 

23 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Hi Jim,

Hoping the seas have calmed! 

On the last Murano menu, I did not see the Lobster. Have they done away with it? We were on the Reflection a few weeks ago & it was delicious! 

So sorry to hear there are Covid cases onboard. Has the Captain made any announcement? 

Stay safe while enjoying yourselves!

The Captain made an announcement today that there were cases on board but no number given, but said less than 5%.   Hmmm.  

After announcement did see more masks on. But still probably less than 5%

• Like 1

Catching Up on meals.     Wednesday -   Day 12 Menu (they are out of order)

1543174174_Luminae-Dinner_Page_12.thumb.jpg.71d5b750947bfe83445768c9dfc5db24.jpg

Tomatoes and Cheese. 

24689462-941E-4695-81E3-15DDDAAC6EAF.thumb.jpeg.94ca61fc333db83ce35dd2c4d6984ba7.jpeg

I had the braised veal cheeks

3424092A-BD21-4721-8ED5-20781E9ACB44.thumb.jpeg.f1dbb1b10bd4cf01bc6a4276bd88827a.jpeg

Iain had the Veal Medallions from MDR

B019F460-BD1B-4F3F-ADDD-EEC3090DF9A0.thumb.jpeg.bcb712e983be99cc1f56779afab08970.jpeg

we had the Cream Brûlée Dome for desert

05BFE020-3616-4AE6-AFF1-CA0844CD1459.thumb.jpeg.f4e847a14a385f988b3bea5b6203c58f.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Captain made an announcement today that there were cases on board but no number given, but said less than 5%.   Hmmm.  

After announcement did see more masks on. But still probably less than 5%

5%!  Really! The ship goes CDC red at 0.3% and triggers an investigation.

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

5%!  Really! The ship goes CDC red at 0.3% and triggers an investigation.

Well did say less than 5% so have to watch CDC

Does CDC still track once we leave the US for the summer?