Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Medical Emergency 

Just heard we have medical emergency and making a change of course to facilitate a Helicopter evacuation.   

No details as of yet but will be late into Lisbon 

Always scary when an emergency occurs.  Witnessed it twice and it's amazing how the pilot navigates the small landing space.  We were told it wasn't a good outcome for the patient on one of these evacuations;  hopefully all will turn out well for this one.  BTW...really enjoying your TA review so thank you for taking the time to do so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Medical Emergency 

Just heard we have medical emergency and making a change of course to facilitate a Helicopter evacuation.   

No details as of yet but will be late into Lisbon 

Around 1300 I saw we’d changed course and that the crew were removing the mast to clear the helipad, and thought to myself there’s going to be an aeromed.

Capt George then broadcast that we are now heading towards Madeira, the closest area for a helicopter evacuation.

Not a good Easter for someone unfortunately. I hope all goes well for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

looked on cruise tracker and heading south to Funchal.   I would have thought Lisbon would have been closer. 

The Captain may make an announcement later. 

Aeromedical evacuation is extremely complex, especially at sea. There’s a lot more to it than which bit of land is closest.

• Like 1

We had a medical emergency on the prior Silhouette sailing. We made an emergency stop in Kingston Jamaica and missed our scheduled stop in Bimini. Captain George kept us informed and twice announced that it was not Covid related. His last update told us that the patient was doing well and that a Celebrity nurse was with him at the hospital.
Hope outcome is the same for this emergency. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I wonder how many people are waiting in the Sky Lounge to see the helicopter?🤔

Hello,

There was no need when this happened on the Independence - it was broadcast on the Bridgecam! 😞

Regards,

Cublet

45 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Always scary when an emergency occurs.  Witnessed it twice and it's amazing how the pilot navigates the small landing space.  We were told it wasn't a good outcome for the patient on one of these evacuations;  hopefully all will turn out well for this one.  BTW...really enjoying your TA review so thank you for taking the time to do so.

There was an emergency medical situation on one of our TA's years ago. We had just sailed away from Tenerife on our way eastbound. The Captain turned the ship around so we could meet the helicopter half way. Our cabin was on deck 12 Aft. It was  an interesting experience standing on our verandah watching the hoisting cable being lowered from the helicopter to pick up the medical gurney which was above us outside the Oceanview Cafe. The wind turbulence from the helicopter blades was like standing under a tornado. The Captain later announced that the passenger who was evacuated was OK. Hoping for a similar outcome on this sailing.

1 hour ago, Tigrou said:

Around 1300 I saw we’d changed course and that the crew were removing the mast to clear the helipad, and thought to myself there’s going to be an aeromed.

Capt George then broadcast that we are now heading towards Madeira, the closest area for a helicopter evacuation.

I hope the person is all right and has a good outcome.  Several years ago a friend had a heart attack while on a Med cruise and was helicoptered off the ship and survived. When he returned home he was hit with a $25,000 bill for the medvac and he fortunately had cruise insurance and everything was covered less a very small deductible. His total bill including hospitalization was over $100,000.

There seems to be confusion among the guests -  Some are saying an Air Evacuation.    A crew member I just spoke to said we are going to dock in Madeira  and will be delayed into Lisbon by one day.    I'm sure the Captain will clarify later today as the announcement was not audible in many places on the ship.

By CruiseMapper I can definitely see we area full speed 22 Knots Southerly  

image.png.ca463600d31b023b4129372233c64065.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

There seems to be confusion among the guests -  Some are saying an Air Evacuation.    A crew member I just spoke to said we are going to dock in Madeira  and will be delayed into Lisbon by one day.    I'm sure the Captain will clarify later today as the announcement was not audible in many places on the ship.

You’re right. It does seem like Lisbon would be closer, especially if you will be docking and going to Lisbon anyway. Seems odd 

50 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

There was an emergency medical situation on one of our TA's years ago. We had just sailed away from Tenerife on our way eastbound. The Captain turned the ship around so we could meet the helicopter half way. Our cabin was on deck 12 Aft. It was  an interesting experience standing on our verandah watching the hoisting cable being lowered from the helicopter to pick up the medical gurney which was above us outside the Oceanview Cafe. The wind turbulence from the helicopter blades was like standing under a tornado. The Captain later announced that the passenger who was evacuated was OK. Hoping for a similar outcome on this sailing.

I have seen on "The Deadliest Catch" TV series the US coast guard helicopter rescuing people off of the small crab fishing boats and it is amazing the job they do.

• Like 2

Just now, Tigrou said:

Thanks -   I didn't hear the announcements.    I wonder  if they will allow us on the Retreat Deck to watch -  I somewhat doubt to.     If so  --- Live from Celebrity Silhouette we have our reporter Jim Live -   What do you see Jim?

• Haha 6

Just now, Airbalancer said:

I wonder how many people are waiting in the Sky Lounge to see the helicopter?🤔

I would say that it's going to be hours away before we are close enough by the current location.   Not sure of the rage of a helicopter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would say that it's going to be hours away before we are close enough by the current location.   Not sure of the rage of a helicopter.

SAR is usually 200-300nm range but can vary greatly with type and operation.

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Madeira to Southampton is usually 3 sea days on a cruise. We are scheduled 2 sea days from Lisbon to Southampton.

Currently 3 hours off-course to the south. Whenever we start heading north  again we have to make up that time and still arrive into Southampton on Thursday. 
If we dock in Madeira I don’t think we’ll make Lisbon, we’ll head straight to Southampton. Even if we don’t go as far as Madeira I think we still may not make Lisbon.

32 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

You’re right. It does seem like Lisbon would be closer, especially if you will be docking and going to Lisbon anyway. Seems odd 

There is a lot more to consider than just ranges.  Weather, currents, tides, dockage for air evac, air requirements, etc.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I hope the person is all right and has a good outcome.  Several years ago a friend had a heart attack while on a Med cruise and was helicoptered off the ship and survived. When he returned home he was hit with a $25,000 bill for the medvac and he fortunately had cruise insurance and everything was covered less a very small deductible. His total bill including hospitalization was over $100,000.

Sounding like it will be an air evacuation .   The mast is already been dropped and we are zipping along at 21.8 knots    Seas are calm,  Sky's clear and sunny

0D6BBD15-B820-49DB-B36E-EBDB016A31FD.thumb.jpeg.935c0ee64bde60154559be514b5ff27e.jpeg

D17E5072-1B60-4D16-A26B-76924E58E102.thumb.jpeg.9c52e936cf87531b1583eb8f55913b4c.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

Madeira to Southampton is usually 3 sea days on a cruise. We are scheduled 2 sea days from Lisbon to Southampton.

Currently 3 hours off-course to the south. Whenever we start heading north  again we have to make up that time and still arrive into Southampton on Thursday. 
If we dock in Madeira I don’t think we’ll make Lisbon, we’ll head straight to Southampton. Even if we don’t go as far as Madeira I think we still may not make Lisbon.

Suites Manager is checking on it and said there would be an announcement.   Many with non- celebrity tours are pushing for info. We 

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sounding like it will be an air evacuation .   The mast is already been dropped and we are zipping along at 21.8 knots    Seas are calm,  Sky's clear and sunny

0D6BBD15-B820-49DB-B36E-EBDB016A31FD.thumb.jpeg.935c0ee64bde60154559be514b5ff27e.jpeg

D17E5072-1B60-4D16-A26B-76924E58E102.thumb.jpeg.9c52e936cf87531b1583eb8f55913b4c.jpeg

I'm just imagining this person and their family or friend anxiously waiting for the evacuation. Emotional turmoil would be my guess.  I can understand the ship 'zipping' along.

• Like 1

I'm not a sailor but this is what I've come up with using a calculator - 248 N Miles away so depending on range of Copter to get out and back I suspect it will be 2-4 hours before the Helicopter can reach us.    I suspect it will be Portuguese Cast Guard  Copter.

image.png.5897b297be36d71247bcff11a20dc132.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charlielinda said:

Jim, thank you for your wonderful posts.  We are going to be aboard the Apex TA at the end of the month.  It will be third TA but first SS.  You mentioned using Ruku and thought might be great investment because we travel and cruise often.  Is it easy to use on the ship?   Looks like I’ll be doing some research.  Enjoy your travels!

It's pretty easy -  at least for me but there are always challenges -

Plug into the HDMI and power it up.   In our suite only have about 6 inches on each side to squeeze my hand in to find the slot.   In many rooms where you have better access much easier.

Once fired up -  go to Roku Settings and choose Ships Wifi -  then you have to log in using the pop up mode instructions for dorm or hotel. 

I did a quick video on how to access the HDMI menu

• Like 1

Last night we went to Tuscan Grill --   I must retract my earlier opnions.  It was a wonderful night -  Food was excellent,  Service friendly and attentive.    Will definitely be back. 

As suggested we asked for 1/2 portions but the servings were huge.   The waiter said Small that is small -  The Chief weighs 500 Pounds and said was a 1/2 portion  LOL LOL

end-date-july-22-2018-cel-cruise-2018-1183-779x1024.jpg

end-date-july-22-2018-cel-cruise-2018-1184-768x1100.jpg

end-date-july-22-2018-cel-cruise-2018-1189-772x1024.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4