Earliest flight on disembarkation day?

micmacmissy

42 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

Celebrity Apex - disembarkation day - can we carry off our luggage and make a 9:40am flight out of fort lauderdale?  We are in a suite, if that matters.  Thanks!

Maybe is the best answer, however it depends which airline and the back-up you might find at the airport to check your bag and security.  The Apex will probably be one of the last to dock so there may be a lot of people at the airport ahead you.  Perhaps the better questions are: How much benefit to you get by rushing to make this flight and What is your Plan B?  That is what is your back-up plan if you miss the flight?  Will you be delayed until the next day?  

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Maybe is the best answer, however it depends which airline and the back-up you might find at the airport to check your bag and security.  The Apex will probably be one of the last to dock so there may be a lot of people at the airport ahead you.  Perhaps the better questions are: How much benefit to you get by rushing to make this flight and What is your Plan B?  That is what is your back-up plan if you miss the flight?  Will you be delayed until the next day?  

This is the post that put me over the top, I'm now a Cool Cruiser.  Thanks to everyone that helped me get to this high rank.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

As long as the ship isn't late into port, that's certainly not impossible. Get in line early to exit on your own. Catch a waiting taxi (or maybe Uber) to the airport.  In all likelihood, you should be able to be off the ship by 7:30-8.

52 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

Celebrity Apex - disembarkation day - can we carry off our luggage and make a 9:40am flight out of fort lauderdale?  We are in a suite, if that matters.  Thanks!

We did in December. We walked off and made it with plenty of time for a 9:30 flight…..and we even went out of the way to make a stop on the way to the airport 

The suites usually get off first.  If you plan on doing self disembarkation and take a taxi it is possible. Going thru customs is face recognizing and you don’t have to present any credentials..  if you purchased anything on board that is over the allowance limit you will be flagged and that will cause a delay. 

as others stated the rest will depend on the ship arriving on time and back ups going thru security at the airport 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Like they have said - be first in the line to walk off ship with your luggage.

Friends I met on the boat did that.

We say them walking off - first in line.

Also be sure to check with airline on flight.  

Sometimes there are problems.

Fort Lauderdale should be no problem.

Other ports I'm not sure how close the airports are.

Here’s a very real timeline for you. We came off the Apex yesterday - can confirm we were one of the last ships into the port. I think we were still docking at 7am (maybe slightly after). We had put out luggage the night before and chose to grab a cup of coffee rather than get breakfast. We walked off at the tail end of the group from the suite lounge - we were suite guests.  I believe we were through customs, out front and waiting for our Uber by 8:15. The ride to the airport was easy - maybe 15 minutes. So now we’re at 8:30(ish). 

Yesterday - Fort Lauderdale was an absolute zoo. Southwest was backed up something fierce and it took us at least half an hour to drop our bags. (so 9am). TSA was pretty easy maybe another 10 minutes - so 9:10. We had an 11:40 flight that we would, under normal circumstances, easily make. 

I would be uncomfortable with a 9:40 flight using my timeline above. Add in the literal chaos of flying yesterday - Southwest apparently did something with their computer systems and had to shut down to reboot plus flight traffic control was canceling flights AND weather - I would NOT do it. Leave your self some breathing room.

• Like 2

I have the same question for my cruise which disembarks at the Pan American terminal in San Juan this Feb. We usually just travel with one carry on and walk off the ship with our luggage vs putting them out the night before, which I have found makes it much easier if you don't have much luggage. Any thoughts on how early a flight I can book out of SJU? There is a flight at 10:30 AM that I am hoping I can make, but don't want to cut it too short. Other flights are at 2:00 and 4:00, so don't want to be stuck at the the airport that long. From what I remember, there was not all that much to do at SJU and we are not interested in doing a tour to kill time before the flight since we are spending 3 days in San Juan pre-cruise.

In order to answer any of these questions, posters should give us more information. Domestic or international? Do you have TSA pre-check? Do you have airline status so you could get into a quicker check-in line? Do you need any assistance, wheelchair or the like? Are you willing to carry all your own luggage without assistance?  What is your Plan B if you missed the flight? How full are the remaining flights that day? How much will it cost you to take a later flight?

• Like 1

My son and I had a 1:00 flight with SW.  we walked off the ship with our luggage among the first ones To leave the ship. Got a taxi , to Fort Lauderdale airport by 810 or so. We were able to rebook and get the 930 flight home. Yes , you can do it but we still had our later flight as a backup in case the early flight was full. We had Tsa precheck and I am A-list with SW, it was a  domestic flight.

Also remember that ships are not at full capacity, so what happened yesterday is not what will happen next week, month, year. Weekends have numerous ships docking and disembarking tens of thousands of passengers - most heading to the airport.

I’m sure that many will remember a time when there was a backup in the terminal for many reasons; not enough personal or agents etc. First, last or in between- book the later flight and have a nice relaxing day stress free.

Hal

If you don't have to check a bag in the airport, it should be doable. Drive from the port to the airport is basically non-existent in FLL, you can literally see the ships from the airport. TSA is usually much better in FLL than it is in MIA.