The Daily for Sunday 04/03/2022

richwmn

Today is Good Deeds Day, Find a Rainbow Day, and Tweed Day

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.--Bob Marley

Meal Suggestion for today - Arroz Con Leche (Rice Pudding)
Drink of the Day - Bourbon Renewal
Wine of the Day - San Vicente 2015 Rioja Northern Spain
Destination of the Day - Beagle Channel,

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Rotterdam   07:00 - 17:00

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 19:00

San Diego, California

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00
Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles

Eurodam   08:00 - 23:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/13

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0403World.thumb.png.8efdce43f80c04034901cd694643f90b.png
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Sunday!

It's snowing, I think I'm tired of it.   I don't think I'll see a rainbow.  I try and do a good deed every day.  I won't be wearing tweed today, but I like tweed.

Love the quote.

Haven't made rice pudding in ages, good suggestion, thanks.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I've never been to the Beagle Channel, maybe someday.  Thanks in advance for pictures.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good afternoon.

We had a lovely church service this morning and are sitting in the beach car park having a picnic looking out to sea.

It is currently 52°F and sunny.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

It is nice if we could do a good deed every day.

It would be nice to find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow 🌈 like we were told as children.

Great quote from Bob Marley.

I love most music and was fortunate to be a record sales rep for EMI for 3 years in the 1980s.

I said Prayers 🙏 for all our friends on the care list in church today.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

IMG_20220403_115602.jpg

IMG-20220403-WA0001.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning! Seeing a beautiful sunrise as we await to disembark the MS Rotterdam. Looking forward too seeing my Susan who is being released from quarantine and has documents stating safe to travel. Needless to say this has been an interesting back to back.

Ready to go home!

image.thumb.jpeg.96e7a5573eb4681aaf16f83f91c39e85.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A foggy start to the day here. Last evening’s storm was a doozy. My dinner with friends was fun. A pair of fawns hung out under one of my neighbor’s bushes, so we enjoyed watching them through most of the meal. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Off to the gym. Possible trip to the beach today, since we are between Spring vacation crowds. 

Random smiles…

AD731B6B-E8BE-429F-BFF6-45F2D577FAB2.jpeg.f037f2a14c17bc5556eb1e41fd6775fc.jpeg

CB5BDCD0-4C7D-4C4B-BC45-698CF28FE8ED.jpeg.8bf7b5366ee2d65ae71c7178dae6798e.jpeg

C443F8D6-4C6D-4457-8D50-BCF8A142C9A8.jpeg.30b4b8e3b9fb23dcbc0676d865bbeb5b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

San Vicente 2015 Rioja

This Rioja has excellent ratings and very interesting critic comments. Several online distributors with prices starting at $44.99.

Winemaker Notes

San Vicente is a unique wine which marries the modern intensity of fruit and concentration with classic Old-World style Rioja aromatics of mountain herbs and licorice.
V94 Vinous
(raised in 90% French and 10% American oak barrels, all new, for two years) Youthful violet color. A highly perfumed bouquet evokes oak-spiced dark berries, potpourri, vanilla and incense, along with a smoky mineral overtone. Sappy, plush and seamless on the palate, offering deeply concentrated raspberry, boysenberry and spicecake flavors that deepen steadily on the back half. The impressively long, spice-tinged finish displays sneaky tannins, outstanding clarity and an echo of candied rose.
W&S92 Wine & Spirits
Tempranillo rooted in high-elevation limestone-rich soils develops a particular briskness that you can find here in this wine, especially if you decant it and forget it for several hours before dinner. It develops from a bright line of red cherry and American oak toward a complex tension between that brightness and an underlying austerity. Oak plays a major role for now but should meld with the fruit as the wine mellows over the next five years.
TA92 Tim Atkin

One finca and one 18-hectare vineyard supply the Tempranillo fruit for this ultra modern, 90% new oak-aged red from clay-limestone soils at 580 metres. Inky, tannic and minty, with layers of rich, dark berry fruit, hints of mint and mocha and the potential to age. But will the wood integrate with time? 2023-30. Alcohol: 14.5

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich and the sermon Graham.  A great selection of days today.  I love the quote although frankly some music rubs me the wrong way.  I've been through the beautiful Beagle channel at least 4 times (Professor Multinovski, Crystal Symphony, Zaandam, and Prinsendam) but find it hard to identify which photos are actually Beagle and which are other nearby areas,  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Fruit Ceviche and Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast as served on MS Amsterdam April 3, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Rosby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22
Lt. Lebo’s partner in critical condition
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement

Cruzin Terri problems with Walgreens/Fedex

Heartgrove cancellation due to Southwest snafu
From the rotation:
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews
.Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer but good current test results
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rotterdam in Everglades
rd0402.thumb.JPG.f61a4715baaa240aca7d92c2f1698142.JPG

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
kplady already home from knee replacemen
5 days for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
Overhead Fred and  sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10) and Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10)  at sea
Welcome home Aliaschif, Quartzite Cruiser, NorseH2o, dchip, and Lady Hudson
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
spelling
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 12

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich and the sermon Graham.  A great selection of days today.  I love the quote although frankly some music rubs me the wrong way.  I've been through the beautiful Beagle channel at least 4 times (Professor Multinovski, Crystal Symphony, Zaandam, and Prinsendam) but find it hard to identify which photos are actually Beagle and which are other nearby areas,  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Fruit Ceviche and Spinach and Goar Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast as served on MS Amsterdam April 3, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Rosby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22
Lt. Lebo’s partner in critical condition
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement

Cruzin Terri problems with Walgreens/Fedex

Heartgrove cancellation due to Southwest snafu
From the rotation:
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews
.Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer but good current test results
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rotterdam in Everglades
rd0402.thumb.JPG.f61a4715baaa240aca7d92c2f1698142.JPG

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
5 BHB with passengers
kplady already home from knee replacemen
5 days for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
Overhead Fred and  sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10) and Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10)  at sea
Welcome home Aliaschif, Quartzite Cruiser, NorseH2o, dchip, and Lady Hudson
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy and many thanks for taking the time to post all the various lists every day.

Graham

16489868061495107672968144784090.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  Nice collection of days although I’m reminded of the saying that no good deed goes unpunished.  They’re still important though.  I like the quote but sometimes a piece can trigger a painful memory.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but for dessert.  The drink sounds interesting.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today including my BIL Jude who is celebrating his birthday.

• Like 28

I won't be posting a sunrise today.  This is "Find A Rainbow Day" and I have only one voyage on QE2, her final transatlantic crossing and penultimate voyage.  One day at lunch a rainbow appeared outside the dining room window:

image.jpeg.86a72889815b5c912776ee560e87885e.jpeg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

I woke up to a dusting of snow here in northeast Ohio.  I suppose if I had slept longer I would have missed it as it is already melting away.  Still, I am done with it.  Not much on the agenda for today, but that is good.  We all need a day of rest now and then.

Today's meal is another dessert for dinner.  But, it might not be!    Arroz con leche can also be used as a meal.  Sweetness is not only the goal.  In this first recipe, the arroz con leche is usually served to family members with an upset tummy.  Rice is a gentle ingredient on your digestion, and helps ease nausea. We all know, that when we're sick, we crave warmth and comfort, this arroz con leche recipe is easy on the stomach and warm to the soul. 

https://latinamommeals.com/arroz-con-leche-recipe-rice-and-milk/

1270166768_Ricepudding4.thumb.jpg.e5beceba0b379b96da7f47fe2f783d11.jpg

This next recipe is definitely dessert.   The condensed milk makes it nice and sweet.  This is from Marcela Valladolid and the Food Network.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/mexican-rice-pudding-arroz-con-leche-recipe-1921815

127002782_Ricepudding1.jpeg.a4e60f86657dec75e30e5e0c0323f91d.jpeg

This next recipe is one that uses basmati rice.  https://mahatmarice.com/recipes/arroz-con-leche/

591930931_Ricepudding2.thumb.jpg.a294e097dc6644e4ba389f30299c14a1.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  Happy Sunday morning.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Graham @grapau27 for your reverend's sermon today.  I am happy to celebrate good deeds, rainbows, and even tweed on this date.  I'll probably pass on the rice pudding.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  I've said my morning prayers for all involved, and am pleased to cheer on those with good news and enjoying good times.  I appreciate all who post here and contribute to our community.  

Beagle Channel is a nice destination of the day.  We last had it on May 7, 2021.  Here is what I posted on that date.

I always enjoy a cool weather cruise, especially if there are glaciers to view.  Our first time in Beagle Channel was on Star Princess in 2012 (Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco).  We were denied entry to Ushuaia's harbor due to the fact we had visited Stanley, Falkland Islands.  This was the 30th anniversary year of their famous conflict.  Because of the harbor master's decision we spent the day cruising Beagle Channel in the daylight hours instead of evening and night time.  Two 2012 photos:enhance

enhance

That was quite a collection of glacier ice right at sea level.  I'll bet it began calving shortly after to relieve the pressure of the encroaching ice.

Star Princess served coffee and hot chocolate on deck that day.  We could listen to the destination expert over the loud speakers out there or slip inside to warm up.enhance

Next visit to Beagle Channel would have been our 2015 Ruby Princess cruise (Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. 49 days).  This time we were able to stop at Ushuaia, so our trip through the channel seeing the glaciers took place after departure.  We got up and down from the dinner table (late dining) and ran outside to take photos every 10 minutes or so.  Here is one of them.enhance

This glacier and waterfall photo was taken at nearly 9 pm.enhance

One exciting visit to Beagle Channel was our third time there on the Seabourn Quest Antarctica cruise in 2016 (Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina).  The day was Christmas Eve. The same glacier and waterfall from above, seen a year and a half later on the Quest in the early morning hours.enhance

Hopefully not much change!  

enhance

Photo taken from Seabourn video.

enhance

Hot chocolate was consumed on my balcony this cruise!enhance

Final visit was on Coral Princess in January 2020 (my latest cruise).  That one was from San Antonio, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  We left Ushuaia around 6 or 6:30 pm and 12 hours later we were viewing Cape Horn.  I have NO photos of the Beagle Channel from that cruise.  The last photo I took in Ushuaia was of another ship leaving for an expedition cruise to Antarctica.  In fact, it is actually named Expedition!  Cruisemapper says it hold 134 passengers and is located in the western Mediterranean near Toulon today. enhance

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Happy Sunday morning.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Graham @grapau27 for your reverend's sermon today.  I am happy to celebrate good deeds, rainbows, and even tweed on this date.  I'll probably pass on the rice pudding.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  I've said my morning prayers for all involved, and am pleased to cheer on those with good news and enjoying good times.  I appreciate all who post here and contribute to our community.  

Beagle Channel is a nice destination of the day.  We last had it on May 7, 2021.  Here is what I posted on that date.

I always enjoy a cool weather cruise, especially if there are glaciers to view.  Our first time in Beagle Channel was on Star Princess in 2012 (Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco).  We were denied entry to Ushuaia's harbor due to the fact we had visited Stanley, Falkland Islands.  This was the 30th anniversary year of their famous conflict.  Because of the harbor master's decision we spent the day cruising Beagle Channel in the daylight hours instead of evening and night time.  Two 2012 photos:enhance

enhance

That was quite a collection of glacier ice right at sea level.  I'll bet it began calving shortly after to relieve the pressure of the encroaching ice.

Star Princess served coffee and hot chocolate on deck that day.  We could listen to the destination expert over the loud speakers out there or slip inside to warm up.enhance

Next visit to Beagle Channel would have been our 2015 Ruby Princess cruise (Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. 49 days).  This time we were able to stop at Ushuaia, so our trip through the channel seeing the glaciers took place after departure.  We got up and down from the dinner table (late dining) and ran outside to take photos every 10 minutes or so.  Here is one of them.enhance

This glacier and waterfall photo was taken at nearly 9 pm.enhance

One exciting visit to Beagle Channel was our third time there on the Seabourn Quest Antarctica cruise in 2016 (Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina).  The day was Christmas Eve. The same glacier and waterfall from above, seen a year and a half later on the Quest in the early morning hours.enhance

Hopefully not much change!  

enhance

Photo taken from Seabourn video.

enhance

Hot chocolate was consumed on my balcony this cruise!enhance

Final visit was on Coral Princess in January 2020 (my latest cruise).  That one was from San Antonio, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  We left Ushuaia around 6 or 6:30 pm and 12 hours later we were viewing Cape Horn.  I have NO photos of the Beagle Channel from that cruise.  The last photo I took in Ushuaia was of another ship leaving for an expedition cruise to Antarctica.  In fact, it is actually named Expedition!  Cruisemapper says it hold 134 passengers and is located in the western Mediterranean near Toulon today. enhance

Thank you Sandi for your interesting photos of somewhere we have never been to.

Graham.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Seeing a beautiful sunrise as we await to disembark the MS Rotterdam. Looking forward too seeing my Susan who is being released from quarantine and has documents stating safe to travel. Needless to say this has been an interesting back to back.

Ready to go home!

image.thumb.jpeg.96e7a5573eb4681aaf16f83f91c39e85.jpeg

Safe journey, God Bless.

• Like 20

Good Sunday morning.  I like the group of days today Rich.  The quote made me smile.  Have not been to today's destination, not sure where it is.  The meal sounds wonderful, can't wait for Debbie's recipe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe.  Wear your mask if you feel safe with it.  I do.

Bourbon Renewal:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 part Fresh Lemon Juice
½ part DeKuyper® Crème de Cassis Liqueur
½ part Simple Syrup
1 dash Angostura® Bitters

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lemon or blackberries.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 8.26.55 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

36 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Curacao, thanks for the daily report.   Not rushing to go off the ship since it's Sunday.20220403_075729.thumb.jpg.d101361a92cd5d409b7ce682609e88d9.jpg

20220403_075741.thumb.jpg.a94c2a1b5eaff6f1032024d79419ad2a.jpg

We did see an elderly couple leave the ship this morning with their bags.  No idea why.

My favorite island.

• Like 22

Good morning everyone. We did a good deed yesterday because it was the new aides birthday. It was too cold to eat outside so we ordered food in and ate on Happy Birthday plates. Music is good for the soul. Sometimes you need the lyrics and sometimes the music. Sam says we now have MaryPoppin living with us. 
I love rainbows but haven’t seen one in a long time.

We have so many on our care list . I am praying for all of them to be well.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  It's nice to have a special day devoted to doing good deeds; we often try to do kind things for unsuspecting people.  I don't think we'll be seeing a rainbow any time soon, but they are always beautiful to see.  Gosh, it's been years since either DH or I have had anything tweed - a fabric that can last for years and years.

Today's quote is interesting, in fact it gave me a bit of chuckle.  Sunday mornings here includes tuning into one of the local radio stations that has the "Sunday Morning Sock Hop" and plays music from the 50's, 60's and 70's.  It never fails to bring back great  memories for both of us, and sometimes finds us dancing around the kitchen.  

Well yesterday we went to our first bonfire at DH's daughter's place, and true to form, no matter which chair I sat in, the smoke followed.  DH was calling me the "smoke whisperer".  LOL  It was fun, though, being able to sit outside in relative comfort (jackets and toques) and have a wiener roast.  When we got home, the first thing I did was take our jackets and hang them outside, otherwise the whole house would have smelled like a smoked moccasin.

I know today isn't caregiver's day, but this showed up on my FB page yesterday and I knew I had to share it here.  We have so many caregivers in our Daily family who are so busy taking care of others, they often overlook their own needs.  

1614515610_SelfCare.jpg.f9da4e4ffe5b421dcfe764e0eb254c3b.jpg

I haven't made rice pudding in ages, so I think I'll cook up a pot of rice this morning so I can make some in the afternoon with cold rice.  DH's mom used to make a Russian dish called plov (pronounced ploe) that was like unsweetened rice with raisins - it was served with butter on top and blob of jam on each serving.  For our dinner tonight, I've got a small ham that will go into the oven and I'll be serving it up with oven fried potato chunks and asparagus.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid, as well as for our Daily family who are ill and struggling.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all who make up the happy list.  Get your boosters, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and stay well.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach.

We had a rainbow yesterday after the storms went thru.  Always beautiful to see.

My good deed today will be watering my friends houseplants. She was suppose to be back today but her flight was cancelled and couldnt rebook until Thursday!. Not pleasant for anyone trying to travel lately. 

We are supposed to go with friends out on the river today but not sure yet what this crazy weather is going to do. 

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, thank you the beautiful pictures of Beagle Channel. We were scheduled to go there on the 2021 Grand SA/Ant trip but... Hopefully another time.

I received my " conditional approval" for Global Entry this AM. Now I have to schedule the interview and get fingerprinted.  Have to go to Orlando Airport for that. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1