Manhattan cruise port questions

Clewis104

We are going on the July 12 Insignia cruise to Bermuda. Our flight arrives at Newark airport around 10:00 AM. Can anyone recommend a car service or shuttle to get from the airport to the pier? We would also like to stop enroute to purchase some wine to take on board. TIA!

2 hours ago, Clewis104 said:

We are going on the July 12 Insignia cruise to Bermuda. Our flight arrives at Newark airport around 10:00 AM. Can anyone recommend a car service or shuttle to get from the airport to the pier? We would also like to stop enroute to purchase some wine to take on board. TIA!

I've requested that the moderator move this to the East Coast Departures Board because your question has nothing to do with Oceania. 

There are no shuttle services from the airport to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal . There's a bus from the airport to Port Authority Bus Terminal, and from there it's a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal.  https://www.coachusa.com/airport-transportation/newark-airport

You can also take the AirTrain from your airline terminal to the Newark Airport station serviced by NJ Transit and Amtrak . Then take NJ Transit to NY Penn Station and from there a short taxi ride to the cruise pier.

For car services try either Carmel Limo or Dial 7 . Or you can use Uber or Lyft. 

I'm not familiar with the wine and liquor stores near the cruise terminal, so when this thread gets moved to East Coast Departures perhaps someone else will be able to provide some recommendations. Of course your car service will charge extra if you want to make a stop somewhere. If you look at a source like Yelp there are some stores not too far away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I've requested that the moderator move this to the East Coast Departures Board because your question has nothing to do with Oceania. 

There are no shuttle services from the airport to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal . There's a bus from the airport to Port Authority Bus Terminal, and from there it's a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal.  https://www.coachusa.com/airport-transportation/newark-airport

You can also take the AirTrain from your airline terminal to the Newark Airport station serviced by NJ Transit and Amtrak . Then take NJ Transit to NY Penn Station and from there a short taxi ride to the cruise pier.

For car services try either Carmel Limo or Dial 7 . Or you can use Uber or Lyft. 

I'm not familiar with the wine and liquor stores near the cruise terminal, so when this thread gets moved to East Coast Departures perhaps someone else will be able to provide some recommendations. Of course your car service will charge extra if you want to make a stop somewhere. If you look at a source like Yelp there are some stores not too far away.

If you Google liquor story  there is at least one within a few blocks of the pier.  We checked in and then walked to the store.  Very easy. No reason for this not to be on the O board.  Has a lot to do with the O cruise you are taking. Maybe should be on both places. Travel safe,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RJB said:

If you Google liquor story  there is at least one within a few blocks of the pier.  We checked in and then walked to the store.  Very easy. No reason for this not to be on the O board.  Has a lot to do with the O cruise you are taking. Maybe should be on both places. Travel safe,

In the current environment I have read quite a few instances of not being allowed back off the ship on embarkation day. Might not be able to check in and walk to a store. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ORV said:

In the current environment I have read quite a few instances of not being allowed back off the ship on embarkation day. Might not be able to check in and walk to a store. 

You could be right.  Did not think of that.   About 3 or 4 years ago it was no problem to get off and on.  I would sure check it out.  Good catch. 

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Has a lot to do with the O cruise you are taking.

Not one bit of the questions or potential answers are Oceania-specific.

The post is about transportation from EWR to the cruise terminal and where one can purchase wine. The same questions and answers are equally applicable to Oceania, NCL, Disney, Carnival or any other cruise line sailing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Normally those questions are posted on East Coast Departures and one reason for doing so is to expose the post to a wider audience, which can lead to a more comprehensive set of answers.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

If you Google liquor story  there is at least one within a few blocks of the pier.

Yes, there are stores a few  blocks from the cruise terminal, but information on the selection of wines that may be available in the stores would best come from someone who has recently shopped for wine in the area...another good reason to post on East Coast Departures as again it will expose it to a broader audience including those who have sailed on other cruise lines and possibly  residents of the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Not one bit of the questions or potential answers are Oceania-specific.

The post is about transportation from EWR to the cruise terminal and where one can purchase wine. The same questions and answers are equally applicable to Oceania, NCL, Disney, Carnival or any other cruise line sailing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Normally those questions are posted on East Coast Departures and one reason for doing so is to expose the post to a wider audience, which can lead to a more comprehensive set of answers.

Yes, there are stores a few  blocks from the cruise terminal, but information on the selection of wines that may be available in the stores would best come from someone who has recently shopped for wine in the area...another good reason to post on East Coast Departures as again it will expose it to a broader audience including those who have sailed on other cruise lines and possibly  residents of the area.

No harm no foul.  This is from someone taking an O cruise.  For me the more info the better.  Can be posted both places.  Lets try to help out as much as we can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some Cruise Critic members only focus on the one forum for their cruise line.  Requiring all threads like this to be moved to the 'perfect' forum would miss them.  Different strokes for different folks makes Cruise Critic work for all.  :classic_smile:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Some Cruise Critic members only focus on the one forum for their cruise line.  Requiring all threads like this to be moved to the 'perfect' forum would miss them.  Different strokes for different folks makes Cruise Critic work for all.  :classic_smile:

+ 1   Thank you. 

• Like 3

Just a suggestion, but you may want to search for liquor stores on the Jersey side since you're coming into Newark.  They will most likely be larger and cheaper and have parking.  If you are using an Uber driver I would ask about stopping before getting into Manhattan.  I'm sure an extra tip would make the stop happen!

• Like 1

We use Uber all the time to and from Newark airport when we visit our children and grandchildren, all of whom live in North Jersey. Since you will be traveling after rush hour into Manhattan, it should be an easy drive.

I originally am from South Jersey and lived 11 years in Manhattan before relocating to Cincinnati. However, I still love spotting the Statue of Liberty as my plane gets ready to land in Newark.

10 hours ago, CintiPam said:

We use Uber all the time to and from Newark airport when we visit our children and grandchildren, all of whom live in North Jersey. Since you will be traveling after rush hour into Manhattan, it should be an easy drive.

I originally am from South Jersey and lived 11 years in Manhattan before relocating to Cincinnati. However, I still love spotting the Statue of Liberty as my plane gets ready to land in Newark.

much easier to find one within a few blocks of the pier.  We did.  in and out in about 10 minuites

• Thanks 1