An O newby sails Regatta - April 6, 2022. Trans pacific, Papeete to Los Angeles

jondfk

Great review. Thank You.

To your original comments about Embarkment, Oceania passengers have a long history of refusing to abide by their assigned embarkment times. Oceania has facilitated this behavior through the years. Now, when some order is actually needed, Oceania’s past behaviors are directly responsible for the mess you described. We plan on never boarding before 2:30 , or quite often 3:00, to avoid the chaos. A peaceful pleasant lunch serving local cuisine ashore is always preferred by us versus lunch aboard and the line up chaos.  Something to consider for your next cruise.

• Like 1

Jon, thanks for taking the time for your reviews. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet in person after I had to cancel. I'm looking forward to doing this cruise in the future.

Did you do any O excursions? If so, what did you think of them?

Glad you've tested neg so far. I'll send good thoughts as I drive past Tracy on my way to the East Bay (my Dad owns Surtec in Tracy, so know it well)

Linda

36 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

Jon, thanks for taking the time for your reviews. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet in person after I had to cancel. I'm looking forward to doing this cruise in the future.

Did you do any O excursions? If so, what did you think of them?

Glad you've tested neg so far. I'll send good thoughts as I drive past Tracy on my way to the East Bay (my Dad owns Surtec in Tracy, so know it well)

Linda

We did the shark / stingray swim on Bora Bora and thought it was good value.  The boat was more basic than we hoped with no amenities (like a can of soda or bottle of water for example). Otherwise we arranged our own things, or nothing at all.

thanks for the positive thoughts we suspect DW does have C19, she has moderate symptoms but so far is testing negative.  I got my second booster yesterday, kicking ourselves for not getting this done before going to FP though the authorization came only hours before our flight.

• Like 1

@LinnieRed

Sharing my experience. We always book a future cruise when we are aboard and here are some of the benefits we have received. Depending on the stateroom level booked, we have received  a $200 to $500 discount per person and have seen others get discounts up to $800-$1,000 for upper Suites. We have received SBC to be used on the future cruise of from $100 to $400 per stateroom. The standard $750 deposit per person is reduced to $250 per person. The Club Ambassador also includes an extra $100 in SBC to be applied to the cruise we were currently on. 

The Future Cruise booked can be swapped one time and all credits and discounts are transferred. You can also book a discount FC Certificate if you want to apply the discount to an undetermined sailing. 

That is my reasoning to always book a future cruise on board. 

Good luck, Mauibabes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

We did the shark / stingray swim on Bora Bora and thought it was good value.  The boat was more basic than we hoped with no amenities (like a can of soda or bottle of water for example). Otherwise we arranged our own things, or nothing at all.

thanks for the positive thoughts we suspect DW does have C19, she has moderate symptoms but so far is testing negative.  I got my second booster yesterday, kicking ourselves for not getting this done before going to FP though the authorization came only hours before our flight.

Keep testing; as you know, it can take several days to register. Sounds like you both did all you could to avoid Covid short of not traveling. Hoping your wife recovers quickly & you stay well.

Jondfk sorry we never met. Our meet and greet did happen after a bit of miscommunication.  Victor GM, Paul FB and Juan Carlos Exec Concierge did an excellent job sponsoring the rescheduled MG. It was a fabulous cruise, no inconvenience for me to wear masks during shows or other "non pod events". So admire the staff pushing through turnover day exhaustion. So hope that O can make it through this year. 

Edited by kibutzer

12 hours ago, kibutzer said:

Our meet and greet did happen after a bit of miscommunication. 

Hey Bonnie - Thanks again for managing the MG to a great conclusion.  Was glad I got out of COVID jail in time to attend.

Jon - I was glad to find out that the "beer was still very cold" when released from COVID jail.

CaptainR

On 4/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, USNA 72 said:

This statement is absolutely true

That said:  Failure to enforce pre arranged boarding times (however they are determined) seems to be causing congestion as part of boarding process on all Cruise Lines.

I don’t understand why the people at the port can’t see what time is on your boarding information, then just tell you to wait until your turn.  The airlines do it with boarding the plane.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 4:58 PM, pinotlover said:

To your original comments about Embarkment, Oceania passengers have a long history of refusing to abide by their assigned embarkment times. Oceania has facilitated this behavior through the years. Now, when some order is actually needed, Oceania’s past behaviors are directly responsible for the mess you described. 

There were several other issues with Regatta's boarding process in Papeete.  First, passengers did not arrive with proper documentation at the ready.  There were several checkpoints in this process where different documents needed to be accessed.  It would have been helpful had this been laid out ahead of time.  First, they wanted to check COVID test documentation after which one received a wrist band.  This seemed to be the biggest bottleneck when we boarded.  After receiving one's wristband, one was redirected to another line where we waited to do the actual check-in procedure where they had us attest to our health, show passports, etc, etc.  This was slow too as they were checking faces, passports and the photos taken online for the e-check-in.  After we passed this point, we went to another line where we waited to actually board the ship.  They were only allowing small groups to move ahead to the gangway.  It was very hot and windy so waiting out in that line was not especially pleasant.  Once it was our turn and we climbed up the steps to the ship, we again had to show our passport and go thru security.  Then we were directed to the lounge to get our World Card.  From there, we were directed to the Grand Dining Room (which was our muster station) to check-in there.  The whole process seemed onerous, especially given the new procedure for checking in online ahead of time.  I didn't observe that this saved us any time whatsoever.  It was nice not having to do the old style lifeboat drill and to only have to view a video in our cabin and check-in at the muster station but it was also clear that many passengers didn't understand what they were doing when they went to check in there.  Perhaps with time, if this becomes the standard arrangement, it will become easier.  But this time, it felt like we were pulling out documents constantly and being sent to another place for nearly the same thing to occur again.  

Six, 6, SIX passport checks.

1.  At station 1 with Covid test results.   By Oceania badged contract employees.

2.  At fake checkin station 2, by Oceania badged contract employees.

3.  A second time to leave the fake check in station 2 (6 feet away from prior check).  By uniformed ship staff.

4.  At the bottom of the gangway, by uniformed ship staff.
5.  At the top of the gangway by ship security.

6.  At the ACTUAL check in desk in Regatta lounge.

Four, 4, FOUR Safety drills.

1,  Two days before boarding prompted by email.

2.  One day prior to boarding prompted by a 2nd email worded to sound as though you had ignored the first.

3..After checkin when herded to muster station.

4. After arrival in cabin.   Required to enable access to on demand video.

Neither process was well thought out or efficient.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SophieM said:

CaptainR, it’s Jane from the 3/25 cruise. Did you get Covid?

Jane - Yes in that I tested positive at the mandatory COVID test prior to Papeete.  Viv and I were rewarded with 6 days in COVID jail. My case of COVID was very, very mild and we survived the 6 days just fine.   Well, there was one time on day 5 when I almost pushed Viv over the balcony when she was taking too long to decide on room service and then she decided to put shampoo on all my food when I wasn't looking. 

CaptainR

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

Jane - Yes in that I tested positive at the mandatory COVID test prior to Papeete.  Viv and I were rewarded with 6 days in COVID jail. My case of COVID was very, very mild and we survived the 6 days just fine.   Well, there was one time on day 5 when I almost pushed Viv over the balcony when she was taking too long to decide on room service and then she decided to put shampoo on all my food when I wasn't looking. 

CaptainR

with all you have experienced with the COVID lockup, would you have made the same decision to travel if you had your time over? I am trying to weigh up the risks (mainly of being locked up, rather than getting severe COVID) for our next booked trip

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

with all you have experienced with the COVID lockup, would you have made the same decision to travel if you had your time over? I am trying to weigh up the risks (mainly of being locked up, rather than getting severe COVID) for our next booked trip

Think my COVID experience was rather unique.  My cruise was for 30 days so spending 6 days in COVID jail I only was confined for 20% of the cruise.  The three ports I missed while in quarantine I had visited on first leg of cruise so I only had the regret of missing an excursion in Bora Bora that I had decided to do on second leg of cruise.  I had a balcony cabin and the weather for all six days was bright and sunny so it afforded me the opportunity to soak up lots of rays and get plenty of fresh air. Regatta’s on demand movies selection was good and I enjoyed catching up on movies I had missed.  The Masters Golf Tournament was shown basically without commercials and it was exciting to cheer for the hometown Dallas kid who won.  Of course not thrilled to spend 6 days in COVID jail but overall my burden was not that great.

Think my experience would be entirely different if say I had to serve 6 days in COVID jail for a ten-day Alaska cruise.  Now we are talking about missing 60% of the cruise and missing numerous port I have not visited.  That would have been a real bummer and guessing my attitude would have been different.  While watching on demand movies I would be  thinking I am spending a lot of money for shows I could have seen at home on HBO or Netflix.  While the room service menu was expanded to include the Grand Dining Menu, I would be thinking I spent a lot of money for meals that I am eating on my bed or eating awkwardly off that small cabin table.  I hate to be a Debbie Downer but guessing I would have carried a heavier burden on a 10-day cruise.

Knowing my nature, I am sure I would roll the dice and still go on the 10-day Alaska cruise. To quote Wayne Gretzky “You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.”  Of course some shots are better than others and easier to make.

CaptainR

• Like 3

On 4/26/2022 at 4:58 PM, pinotlover said:

Great review. Thank You.

To your original comments about Embarkment, Oceania passengers have a long history of refusing to abide by their assigned embarkment times. Oceania has facilitated this behavior through the years. Now, when some order is actually needed, Oceania’s past behaviors are directly responsible for the mess you described. We plan on never boarding before 2:30 , or quite often 3:00, to avoid the chaos. A peaceful pleasant lunch serving local cuisine ashore is always preferred by us versus lunch aboard and the line up chaos.  Something to consider for your next cruise.

Amen... +   the chaos and associated feefing frenzy....gotta get in one more meal I guess.    I agree with the 3 pm...... you bags beat you to the room... you get to go direct to the room, and unpack and  then have a calm dinner around 8-9 after the dust has settled...       

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, pinotlover said:

We plan on never boarding before 2:30 , or quite often 3:00, to avoid the chaos. A peaceful pleasant lunch serving local cuisine ashore is always preferred by us versus lunch aboard and the line up chaos.  Something to consider for your next cruise.

The definition of "chaos" is "complete disorder and confusion".  Are we to understand Oceania has this problem?  

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The definition of "chaos" is "complete disorder and confusion".  Are we to understand Oceania has this problem?  

The Terrace /Waves are the only food venues open on embarkation day

People want to get  on & get their monies worth  so those places are busy with pax  & tote bags  etc..

some  cabin classes are not ready until later in the afternoon so people really have to hang around  waiting

We also will try to eat before boarding then just find a nice spot to relax if our cabins are not ready

Those in suites however  will get to board early before the others so can grab a bite to eat & their suites are ready  first 

8 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

In today’s world of 300-500 passengers total on an O ship, perhaps not so bad. Consider though that same O ship with 1150+ passengers, with 900+ embarking.  Consider what happens when about 600 of them ignore their assigned boarding time and show up early, while their cabins won’t be available for 2-3 hours. 

Most descend upon the Buffet, carrying, lugging, or dragging all sorts of carryons. Some have gotten there as early as 9:00 to get in line for that Buffet. Think crowded airport restaurants, except people are constantly getting up and down to get food.

Many ports don’t have cruise terminals and that wait is in whatever the elements are. 

We’ve boarded early twice. Been there done that. Never again. Sightseeing, a nice peaceful lunch of fresh local cuisine, pick up the luggage from the hotel concierge, and get to the ship 3:00ish or so. 

In my definition, absolute chaos. Some just enjoy that Buffet line more than we do.

• Like 2

The ships are not full these days so it hasn't been crowded in Terrace and Waves.  We ate lunch in Terrace at 1:00pm on embarkation day. We had already taken our carry-on bags to our cabin.  When we walked into Terrace, I was expecting it to be crowded but it wasn't.  No long lines or masses of people at any of the stations and there were plenty of tables available.  In the old days, it could be a challenge finding a table in Terrace and Waves at certain times but we did not encounter that at all on the 10 days we were on. 

5 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

The ships are not full these days so it hasn't been crowded in Terrace and Waves.  We ate lunch in Terrace at 1:00pm on embarkation day. We had already taken our carry-on bags to our cabin.  When we walked into Terrace, I was expecting it to be crowded but it wasn't.  No long lines or masses of people at any of the stations and there were plenty of tables available.  In the old days, it could be a challenge finding a table in Terrace and Waves at certain times but we did not encounter that at all on the 10 days we were on. 

I did start my comments by saying that cruising on the current practically empty ships is a different experience. I remember having a cruise on the Marina with 800 aboard and the ship seemed empty. Now 300-500!! 😳 People say they can eat in a Specialty every night. 

Our October cruise has been waitlisted since shortly after release. Final payment is due in three weeks. It’ll be interesting to see what happens then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I did start my comments by saying that cruising on the current practically empty ships is a different experience. I remember having a cruise on the Marina with 800 aboard and the ship seemed empty. Now 300-500!! 😳 People say they can eat in a Specialty every night. 

Our October cruise has been waitlisted since shortly after release. Final payment is due in three weeks. It’ll be interesting to see what happens then.

My final is due Oct 4. If the planes are flying and the cruise is sailing, I am going. If they just want to cruise the Norwegian fjords, that is fine. 

• Like 2