Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I suppose the ultimate irony here is that Daniel Boulud's 'Restaurant Daniel' still rigorously enforces a dress code, where "The chef takes it as a personal affront if guests are poorly dressed." 

According to his regional manager, Karim Guedouar, “That’s his home, that’s his flagship, that’s his pride, that’s who he is.  Chef Daniel himself is a big protector of these rules.” 

Jackets are available for those who arrive without adequate preparation.  The restaurant’s 25 jackets, size 32 to 52, are made by the chef’s favorite tailor. They’re “very dark blue with gold little buttons. They’re very subtle.” says Guedouar.

Just a FYI for everyone that he has many restaurants globally but this one is in NY which is the suit wearing capital of the US and holds two Michelin stars.  Most if not all of his other restaurants don't have the jacket requirement

2 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Thiretten pages and 301 posts later have turned out to be to a modified quote from a line in an episode of Seinfeld.... a post absolutely NOTHING!!!!!😀

And you are adding value how?  🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Loracpin2 said:

Thiretten pages and 301 posts later have turned out to be to a modified quote from a line in an episode of Seinfeld.... a post absolutely NOTHING!!!!!😀

Well I did learn that for some, seeing a person in a baseball cap in the dining room can totally ruin their dinner.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

I notice you didn’t mention your shorts. Lol

Excuse me, DRESS SHORTS!  And I did not want to further upset a certain dress code police person here any further over my flagrant violation of the dress code.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just a FYI for everyone that he has many restaurants globally but this one is in NY which is the suit wearing capital of the US and holds two Michelin stars.  Most if not all of his other restaurants don't have the jacket requirement

Yes, that's quite true.  The fact that he does not make exceptions for this particular venue is instructive.

Few cruise lines offer any venue to guests who would prefer an evening of this sort, and there are cruise line guests would certainly object if they did.

14 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Thiretten pages and 301 posts later have turned out to be to a modified quote from a line in an episode of Seinfeld.... a post about absolutely NOTHING!!!!!😀

And just as Seinfeld…..very entertaining and fun for many of us!! And you are Soooooo wrong, it’s 309 posts!!!

Den

Edited by Denny01

29 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

🤣

It's called comic value, just like your skinny jeans...😂

Yeah.  I really enjoy looking at your varicose veins at dinner.  🙄

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

does it have to required for you to wear a jacket at an upscale dining venue?

Not to mention the 50 pound limit for my suitcase. If I don’t have to pack a jacket nowadays for a 9 night cruise, I won’t. The days of 3 free suitcases per person on a flight are long over. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Of course in such a case. that would be totally different. I assume that would be very unusual. 

I imagine it is unusual. Thank goodness for that! My own malignant melanoma surgery was on my arm, so I never ran the risk of running afoul of any dress code.

I guess my default position is not to automatically assume bad intent on the part of others. I tend to be the "give them the benefit of the doubt" type, until they give me a reason not to. 

Of course, once someone proves to me that they are a jerk, I believe them.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Not to mention the 50 pound limit for my suitcase. If I don’t have to pack a jacket nowadays for a 9 night cruise, I won’t. The days of 3 free suitcases per person on a flight are long over. 

40 pounds on some of the low cost carriers.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I remember the Tux Hire service on cruise lines to enable guests to dress formally without the worry of the weight to carry. They could be pre-ordered and ready and waiting for you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I remember the Tux Hire service on cruise lines to enable guests to dress formally without the worry of the weight to carry. They could be pre-ordered and ready and waiting for you. 

I used that once.

Tux waa not the latest fashion, but all else went pretty perfect.

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Well I did learn that for some, seeing a person in a baseball cap in the dining room can totally ruin their dinner.

Hi

Is it true that Americans believe formal dress means wearing their baseball caps with the peak at the front.😉

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Is it true that Americans believe formal dress means wearing their baseball caps with the peak at the front.😉

Yes but don’t worry.  I’ll be waiting at the door to knock them off with a baseball bat.   I promise not to hurt anyone.

• Haha 1