Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What I read is that YOU have standards.  You just don't like OUR standards.

And you know, I WISH I could shut down this discussion.  But it doesn't work like that.  No one person (except the mods) gets to decide when a discussion is shut down or when it continues.

Com'on, you're enjoying this thread too much to want shut it down. I know, I am. And besides, if this thread was shut down, we'd have to have to read another tipping or service animal thread. 😱

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, peyeet said:

I will say, I am still learning from this thread despite the difference of opinions. From what I've gathered, what I usually wear is fine, but it wouldn't hurt to bring some collars. And, on my next cruise (or special dining occasion), start paying attention to people around me and see what they're wearing to see how it personally changes how I view my dining experience so I can better understand where everyone is coming from.

It is a good idea to be prepared to comply with the dress code if eating in the MDR is important to you. No one can predict whether the dress code will or will not be enforced on any given evening on a particular ship.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peyeet said:

This is not my first cruise, but first lengthier one where I would have to think about how much packing I am planning on doing for the trip, instead of a 7 day where it's pretty easy to pack a normal and nice shirt for every day. All of my shirts are new and the pants are nice, but the baggy / faded applies to all clothes -- I would think much less of someone in an ill fitting, faded suit and tie than in a well fitted one, so really again I was trying to clarify if those items of clothing were agreeable. Most people wouldn't add that caveat to their comment if I said I was wearing a suit, and yet when I ask about wearing relatively casual clothes all of a sudden people's minds leap to me rolling into Luminae on Chic night looking like I just finished doing an afternoon of yard work. While I understand there is a thinner line of acceptability between casual clothing to clothing that is too casual, it's pretty eye opening to see the mindset people have about different outfits on this spectrum. Again I do understand why it is easier to view a casual outfit as a slippery slope to a trashy one, it's not one that ever occurred to me as I've generally found people do their best to be as presentable as possible in the class of dress they are in. At least in the circles that I tend to associate with.

Similar to what I was trying to say in a previous reply and in this one: that's such an extreme example that you should know it to be disingenuous. Generally, examples like these tend to shut down discussion, not foster it. 

I will say, I am still learning from this thread despite the difference of opinions. From what I've gathered, what I usually wear is fine, but it wouldn't hurt to bring some collars. And, on my next cruise (or special dining occasion), start paying attention to people around me and see what they're wearing to see how it personally changes how I view my dining experience so I can better understand where everyone is coming from.

Curious to know what ship/itinerary are you sailing?

Just now, DirtyDawg said:

Com'on, you're enjoying this thread too much to want shut it down. I know, I am. As besides if this thread was shut down, we'd have to have to read another tipping or service animal thread. 😱

Well, and I mean this nicely, it seems our 22 year old may be a little over sensitive to my humor.  Although I suspect I'm not the only one.  But when I was 22 the internet was already invented and I got to see some of the back and forth back then.  I would not want our friend to cancel a cruise just because of some discussion about onboard dress codes.  (I do not think that likely to happen.)

And geeze, all I said was "tuck in your shirt", not "put on a suit and tie".  🙂

5 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Com'on, you're enjoying this thread too much to want shut it down. I know, I am. As besides if this thread was shut down, we'd have to have to read another tipping or service animal thread. 😱

Wait?!  There's a service animal thread here?  🤣

8 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

An oriigianl post about "dress" that continues for 9 pages with 207 posts (this will be 208) absolutelly illustrates how very bored so many of us are!!!!  We ALL need to be cruising!!!!!! 🤩

Oh, a smart aleck.  You think I should spend good money to cruise with all these young people who can't follow the rules?  

What's that?  Why don't a wear a tuxedo?  I'm ruining your dinner?  Why is that any of your concern?  😁

11 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

An oriigianl post about "dress" that continues for 9 pages with 207 posts (this will be 208) absolutelly illustrates how very bored so many of us are!!!!  We ALL need to be cruising!!!!!! 🤩

Will my 2 weeks vacation at an all inclusive Mexican resort starting tomorrow substitute for a cruise.  They also have an evening dress code 😎

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Will my 2 weeks vacation at an all inclusive Mexican resort starting tomorrow substitute for a cruise.  They also have an evening dress code 😎

Do you look good in a dress?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

We spent New Year's at an all-inclusive in Mexico with an evening dress code. I saw many people (by people I mean men . . . women never seem to have a problem with this) learn the hard way that wearing shorts meant they'd only be able to be seated outside. They were also very consistent about enforcement of their mask policy. It's remarkable how when the rules are politely but consistently enforced, everyone follows them without much complaint. Or they just sit outside.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peyeet said:

What I've gathered from this is that several people have several differing standards. There have been people who have agreed and disagreed, with varying levels of both sides, with what I am presenting as my opinion. It is unrealistic to think that my approach will allow for all parties to agree, but from what this thread has shown me the gist of things is do what makes you comfortable, be more cognizant of the breadth of opinions that exist, and that it is practically not feasible to appease everyone in the matter.

I disagree with your statement of disliking "our" standards, as those standards vary from person to person. While I have gotten negative responses, the majority have been positive/agreeable/ accepting, and while I now better understand the aspect of dressing to help elevate the experience of others, there's only so much you can do before it detracts from your own experience. I would prefer to be comfortable and acceptable to the majority of people than packing additional clothing I may not find as comfortable to be accepted by others, as that begins to detract from my own dining experience.

Claps hands loudly! 

We have dress codes for many reasons, but mostly to set some sort of standard for people to follow. Without standards, life would be more chaotic than usual.  No matter what, these can be interpreted in different ways, thus allowing for some to break a tiny rule, yet not be noticed.  The photo above would not fit under this category, but maybe a few others!  It certainly is a dress with pants and...  Furthermore, this photo screams for some to just be themselves!  Do we also need standards for make-up?  She is posing as a wallflower, or something like that.  It is easier to make rules than consistently enforce them!  That's why rules are broken...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is the only pic I have of the one time I wore a dress.

9 Drew's MIMI. ideas | drew carey, mimi, kathy kinney

Oh Mimi...be still my heart, but wait there is this...me thinks we'd have a lot of fun at a bar

image.jpeg.ffdcdb09b9f31eccb5fcf5e53b495d23.jpeg

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

It is a good idea to be prepared to comply with the dress code if eating in the MDR is important to you. No one can predict whether the dress code will or will not be enforced on any given evening on a particular ship.

It is a good idea to conform to all the rules, or not go.  Rules are not suggestions for you to take or leave, otherwise they would be called suggestions.  You always have the choice to not take a cruise or participate in an activity. Once you elect to do so, however, than you have basically promised that you would comply. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Excuse me PB but is going to Walmart akin to sailing on Carnimart?!

Can't comment because we have not sailed on Carnival, but, saw videos on You Tube and read about them on CC. Just doesn't appeal to us. We like Celebrity -- never had a bad experience. 

( I joke about the time our Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time ).

Walmart --  of course we shop there, and, happy to .