Truth about dress code enforcement please, - not policy.

budmeister

14 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

Yes, you are correct. I dress for the chic/formal nights even when dining in Blu as do most (but not all) others that I see there. DW enjoys dressing up and getting the photos, so that's what we do.

Depends on itinerary, we did Alaska and hardly anyone dressed up in Blu, Luminae or the Specialties. I also disagree that in those restaurants the majority wear chic.  

I have always been of the opinion that those on these boards in many cases write what they subconsciously want to see.

3 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Depends on itinerary, we did Alaska and hardly anyone dressed up in Blu, Luminae or the Specialties. I also disagree that in those restaurants the majority wear chic.  

I have always been of the opinion that those on these boards in many cases write what they subconsciously want to see.

I want to see a young, male model, wearing a collared shirt, sitting across from me in the dining room.  But husband may not appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

You are 100% right.You are 100% right.

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

…….I have always been of the opinion that those on these boards in many cases write what they subconsciously want to see.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I want to see a young, male model, wearing a collared shirt, sitting across from me in the dining room.  But husband may not appreciate it.

I think these go together! And my wife wouldn’t allow me to type what I’d ‘want sitting across from me!’

den

8 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Agree regarding itinerary. However, writing what we subconsciously want to see? Please... if I wanted to write what I wanted to see, then I am quite capable of identifying what I want. We (since I assume we are all not simpletons) are also quite capable of reporting what we do in fact see.  Nothing subconscious about it.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Agree regarding itinerary. However, writing what we subconsciously want to see? Please... if I wanted to write what I wanted to see, then I am quite capable of identifying what I want. We (since I assume we are all not simpletons) are also quite capable of reporting what we do in fact see.  Nothing subconscious about it.

I don’t mean everyone of course.

33 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I don’t mean everyone of course.

Although it was a direct response to my comment ... perhaps I am suspect? Hmmm. But in this specific case, I actually do tend to look around specifically to see how people are dressed, partly to assess whether I am over- or under-dressed on such nights. So I would like to think my observation about Blu dress habits is somewhat accurate, at least for the timeframe I was attending, and before the second pina colada.

On 4/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, Guppy99 said:

It is a good idea to conform to all the rules, or not go.  Rules are not suggestions for you to take or leave, otherwise they would be called suggestions.  You always have the choice to not take a cruise or participate in an activity. Once you elect to do so, however, than you have basically promised that you would comply. 

Your first couple of sentences provide a reasonably accurate definition of what a rule is, but we're not talking about rules. Certainly Celebrity aren't.  We're talking about a code, which is much more nuanced and subject to interpretation.  

It follows your last point can't be true either, thankfully.   

This is from X's FAQ's section;

"Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should. ...

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

So what's the difference between ''designer jeans' and 'jeans'?

1 hour ago, Boycey said:

Your first couple of sentences provide a reasonably accurate definition of what a rule is, but we're not talking about rules. Certainly Celebrity aren't.  We're talking about a code, which is much more nuanced and subject to interpretation.  

A rose by any other name …

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

This is from X's FAQ's section;

"Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should. ...

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Maybe designer are jeans with patterns or designs with studs or sparkles.  And maybe even some fashionable tears here and there?

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Easy--- The Price.

Example Roberto Cavalli jeans -- $ 1200

Pinboy jeans --- $ 39.99 

Talking about jeans--You know those jeans with the tears down the front of the legs-----

They were probably marketed after a manufacturer damaged 100's of yards of denim ---

He had his staff and friends ( his wife wouldn't do it ) phone stores asking if they carried the " new " style of denim jeans-- etc, etc and soon the orders started coming in. 

That's Marketing ?????

• Haha 4

Just now, Pinboy said:

Easy--- The Price.

Pinboy jeans --- $ 39.99 

Talking about jeans--You know those jeans with the tears down the front of the legs-----

They were probably marketed after a manufacturer damaged 100's of yards of denim ---

He had his staff and friends ( his wife wouldn't do it ) phone stores asking if they carried the " new " style of denim jeans-- etc, etc and soon the orders started coming in. 

That's Marketing ?????

Sounds like you have a new career in cruise fashion... LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boycey said:

Actually a dress code is much more similar to a rule than you imply, but it does allow greater breadth of expression. We are talking clothes here, not uniforms.  And therefore my last comment stands. If you agree to participate you agree to all that comes with, not a pick and choose menu. Further, if you have to rely on semantics, then you are ignoring the intent of the dress code.  Yours, and others, is an effort to bend the code to what you want...not what is intended to accomplish.

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Sounds like you have a new career in cruise fashion... LOL

bon voyage

Off topic:

Years ago I was a fashion buyer for a large chain department store and a supplier I knew did exactly that with some damaged goods ( not denim )---

( Everything I mentioned re the staff and friends calling stores is the absolute truth, including that his wife wouldn't make any calls ).

Back to topic: 

Is it " really " that hard to comply with the code, rules, suggested dress , whatever the hell you want to call it. You want to " stand out " and do your own " thing "  ? What for--- Who are you " trying " to impress ?  The Staff work so hard for us and what's the point of making their job more difficult ? 

It's guaranteed that most Staff members will not confront a passenger for fear of repercussion from Management. Let's all just do the " right " thing --

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Easy--- The Price.

Pinboy jeans --- $ 39.99 

That's Marketing ?????

"designer jeans" hail back to Diane von Furstenburg (and other designers) coming out with a women's shaped jean instead of women forcing themselves into men's jeans. Then Levis came out with some many versions of jeans (and wrangler slower to follow) ...so the "designer "thing has become obsolete.  It really means fits properly, is not ripped, etc.  (A couple years ago it cost hundreds to get jeans that had built in dirt marks) I know all this because when I was in high school, they only made jeans for men/boys. When my daughter was a young teenager, she aboslutely knew that $100 jeans were so much better than $20 Levis. My arguments to the contrary fell on deaf ears.  However, since she would then have to buy her own, she never did quite feel they were important enough to spend her own money on.

Edited by Guppy99

18 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Actually a dress code is much more similar to a rule than you imply, but it does allow greater breadth of expression. We are talking clothes here, not uniforms.  And therefore my last comment stands. If you agree to participate you agree to all that comes with, not a pick and choose menu. Further, if you have to rely on semantics, then you are ignoring the intent of the dress code.  Yours, and others, is an effort to bend the code to what you want...not what is intended to accomplish.

You all are arguing a distinction without a difference.

3 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

You all are arguing a distinction without a difference.

Take this all with tongue in cheek.  Bo gets it.  But I think there is a difference.  Forget the tux.  Could you see where one guy in a nice black tshirt jeans and loafers might get in the MDR but someone with their old 49ers shirt dirty jeans and white sneakers might get turned away?

18 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

When my daughter was a young teenager, she aboslutely knew that $100 jeans were so much better than $20 Levis.

LOL--- ( Been there )

And, You know who told her ???

The 18 yr old student working part time at his/her first job that sold it to her !!

• Like 1

So, I just want to mention one thing that we all know but never talk about.  Take the same pair of Levi jeans and put them on both a 30 yr old trim fellow with a nice little butt and a 65 yr old man who shows the signs of living a good life.... and guess what?  Not the same ...at all.  So, given Celebrity's clientele, you don't see many jeans in any evening dining venue.

• Like 1