The Daily for Tuesday 04/05/2022

richwmn

Today is Deep Dish Pizza Day, Go for Broke Day, and National Dandelion Day

Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.--Mother Teresa

Meal Suggestion for today - Sausage-Topped White Pizza
Drink of the Day - Cruzan 9 Punch
Wine of the Day - Vignobles Ravel 2020 Château Montaud Rosé (Côte
Destination of the Day - Marmaris, Turkey

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Nassau, Bahamas, N eta 4/6
Nieuw Statendam   Destination Fort Lauderdale, P eta 4/6

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico

Zuiderdam   10:00 - 18:00

Cartagena Colombia

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos

Rotterdam   08:00 - 16:00

San Francisco, CA US

Koningsdam  

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam  

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0405World.thumb.png.825ca5bfbc69095939bfc8449a0c4e99.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 15

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

I guess it's pizza day!    No dandelions here yet.  A salute to those who "Go for Broke" and succeed.

Great quote from a great lady.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

We've been to Turkey, but not today's port.

We've got a little bit of rain this morning.  April showers bring May flowers. 🤞

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute going for broke, not sure why dandelions would have a day.  I enjoy Pizza but I don't think so today.  Love the Mother Theresa quote.  I've been to Turkey just once but it was ages ago on a land trip.   Yesterday and today have been days of rotating TV as I just got the replacement of a broken one and am moving one old one from the bedroom to the kitchen and putting the new one in the bedroom.

Today’s care list:

RIP Rosby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22

Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
NextOne Niece in hospital; suddenly unable to walk
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
From the rotation:
.Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
msmayor new granddaughter La
6 days for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay and flying to Barcelona today
3 days for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
Overhead Fred and  sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10) and GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13)   at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

I frankly don't remember a lot about today's alternate menu selection but I apparently enjoyed it.  It's grilled African Springbok as served on MS Amsterdam April 5, 2014:

springbok.JPG.a2043865c03b279e67deca8c8dda403c.JPG

While I think of it as a game animal, it apparently isn't threatened and what we got was likely raised on a ranch.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 MS Amsterdam World Cruise segment returning home from Cape Town and the Crystal Serenity.  April 5 was our first sea day from Walvis Bay to St. Helena:

dawn0405.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a cloudy 50°F North East coast of England.

Many thanks for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thanks also to Roy for keeping the various lists updated.

Interesting days.

We prefer a thin based pizza rather than a deep based pizza.

Dandelions are weeds but important for our bee's.

Excellent quote today.

I will pass on the food and drink today.

We have been to Kusadasi  Turkey many times but not Marmaris Turkey.

Prayers 🙏 sent to everyone who need them.

I hope everyone has a nice and safe day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220405_120356.jpg

Screenshot_20220405_120433.jpg

Screenshot_20220405_121653.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a cool and cloudy day here but rain is expected this afternoon and for the next few days.

Dandelion greens are available now. My brother had some last night with hot bacon dressing , I prefer spinach.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏

• Like 27

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Much warmer this morning, already 68 here. Lots of migrating birds this morning. They sounded like ducks, but…. Not sure if I have ever noticed them this late into the year. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning all! @TiogaCruiser, when you get home you have to share your thoughts on the wines you tasted on the cruise. I received my second Moderna booster last night, and just a tiny bit sore at the injection site this morning. Hoping it stays that way. 

Off to an early Tai Chi class. Then, weather permitting, I will have dinner outside at a local wine bistro. 

Hope these make you smile….

70F711CE-3D50-4FED-9F96-D6258FAF40A4.jpeg.ccea64846bcbf198242575c58dc0fa95.jpeg

F7FD7E02-CDD7-4732-920D-C248FFA12F44.jpeg.23dab04213e99654a1824fd97f1de474.jpeg

1BF52A2D-C397-4929-91ED-138DDF70D4BB.jpeg.1ddf3af9246eac17f85f082cd37c7d72.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Vignobles Ravel 2020 Château Montaud Rosé

This rosé is one I would like to try. And it is very reasonably priced. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $10.99.

Winemaker Notes

A classic Cotes de Provence rosé: dry, crisp and refreshing, full of fruit and ideal for anytime. Traditional growing methods are given priority and include ploughing to ventilate the soil and using organic farming rather than chemicals and artificial processes.

This pretty Provençal rosé is easily paired with light salads, pastas and rice dishes. It is also especially great with raw or lightly cooked shellfish, grilled fish and goats’ cheeses. Perfect hot weather drinking.

Blend: 40% Cinsault, 40% Grenache, 20% Mourvedre

WE90
Wine Enthusiast

Bright fruit and tangy acidity are hallmarks of this crisply textured wine. Freshness and acidity make the wine ready to drink. It comes in a skittle-shaped bottle, traditional but rare to see now. 

WW90
Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
COMMENTARY: The 2020 Château Montaud is bright, active, and full of attractive fruit. TASTING NOTES: This wine slides on the palate with flavors of perky red and blue fruits. A hint of savory spices pairs it well with country pâté. 
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 8

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A really good deep dish pizza is nice once in a while, but I do prefer the thinner crusts. Thanks to @grapau27 Graham for the explanation of go for broke day... very interesting. Who knew dandelions had so many benefits??? I knew they were edible, but didn't know the benefits of this weed that irritates so many.

Great quote by a special lady. I do enjoy white pizza, but usually top it with mushrooms, spinach and feta.

@msmayor it was great to hear from you. Praying for your daughter and your work situation. A salute to your boss for being one of the few...he seems like a good one. Congratulations on the arrival of Lana; enjoy every second.

@NextOne Edi, wishing you a very happy birthday. 🎂

DH did not play golf yesterday as he began to feel unwell. He is definitely sick with cold like symptoms. We will do a test later this morning.

So, not much going on here today.

Have a terrific Tuesday and remember you are loved.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

@rafinmd - Roy....Thank you so much for including my husband on your Care List...I often shared with him....so many things from Cruise Critic...

Not to make you feel bad in any way...but my CC name is Rowsby @Rowsby....after a wonderful, sweet Golden Retriever we had for years.....

• Like 24

59 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

While I think of it as a game animal, it apparently isn't threatened and what we got was likely raised on a ran

Bok is a type of antelope.  Springbok is the national animal of South Africa.  

Although I don't eat meat, I always enjoy trying the local food.  Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  I saw a very red sky as dawn arrived (take warning!) and yes we have severe storms heading our way.  We have no plans and will be happy to stay home and stay safe.  Besides heavy rain, there could be high winds, large hail or even tornadoes.  I hope all in the path of this storm stay safe, too.  

Quite a collection of days to celebrate.  Dandelions are not loved by gardeners but as a child I thought they were pretty flowers.  I also prefer thin crust pizza rather than deep dish.  Interesting info about going for broke and the 442nd.  Thanks Graham @grapau27.  Ann @cat shepardyour memes did  make me smile!  Edi @NextOnehappy birthday today!  Prayers for your niece Jackie and that they find out what her health issue is quickly.  Connie @msmayorso happy to hear about baby Lana's birth.  But also hope your DD finds some help with her fears of being left alone with Lana.  She can get through this!  Love the quote from Mother Theresa.   I have to see and hear about the sausage topped white pizza before I commit.  Debbie will provide the answers.  I hope Tana is doing okay, and that Jose and Jacqui have been enjoying visits this week at the hospital and the weather hasn't interferred.

Thanks for listing our Care and Celebration groups today Roy @rafinmd.  Prayers said for all and for our Ukrainians who are suffering so badly.  I hope others will continue to provide them with support and places to go.  Peace for Ukraine!

I've enjoyed a visit to Marmaris, Turkey as well as several other lovely Turkish cities.  It was on our first Prinsendam cruise, well actually the second of a 30 day B2B.  We had no idea what to expect on Holland America but were quickly charmed by the Elegant Explorer and the places she could go.  Our travel friends didn't like the noise beneath their room (crew mess was below 440) and complained the entire 30 days about it to the front desk.  Their constant complaining was the only bad part of the cruise.  After that we started booking the Prinsendam more and more, and they wouldn't go along with us.  Oh, well!  Their loss!  I'll look for photos for you.  This is the first time Marmaris has been chosen destination of the day.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Oh, happy day!   Good morning, everyone.

I got the results of my CT scan late last night when they were posted on the patient portal.   Back in March during an MRI of my back they found a mass on the right adrenal gland.  Those are called incidentalomas as they are usually found by accident and generally benign.  They can be functioning, though, and that can cause havoc.  I found out from the CT scan that mine is indeed benign.   So, I am doing the happy dance.  One hurdle over.  We still don't know if it is the source of my pain.  They are generally painless, but mine could be an exception.  So, I will wait to hear from the doctor as to what we do next.  

@NextOne  Happy Birthday!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.27f3ceec5a5b735c66e03212e01723e4.jpg

@msmayor  Congratulations on your new granddaughter.   

Mother Teresa's quote reminds me that sometimes it is the small things that end up being the great things.   In this world if we all decide to leave those we encounter feeling better than we met them, the world will begin healing.   Let's try it.

I love white pizza.   There is a place in town that makes a great white pizza with all kinds of veggies on it.  I am outside of their delivery area, so I just have to drive to get it.  I could probably make this one with a cauliflower crust.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sausage-topped-white-pizza/

301358832_sausagetoppedwhitepizza1.jpg.4099cb1be2f1c8ceae63013ba3feebe4.jpg

You can leave off the arugula/spinach if you like.   The caramelized onions sound good on this one:  https://momsneedtoknow.com/white-pizza-with-sausage-caramelized-onions-and-arugula/

1604629091_sausagetoppedwhitepizza2.jpg.cc6dddf82b3c1a2b02276440c0bf4e2f.jpg

This one is a quick recipe with different toppings.  Really, you can make this your own easily.  Use the recipe part for the white sauce and then the toppings you like.   http://www.thehungryhousewife.com/2012/09/easy-white-pizza-with-sausage.html

1973376835_sausagetoppedwhitepizza3.jpg.d5700c82378bccc8565bf9a4f6545bd3.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  I know I am!    Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 10

Debbie @dfishvery happy to hear your incidentaloma is benign and that you are doing the happy dance.  Good luck finding out the source of the pain!

Also, the white pizzas don't look bad and I would try a piece for sure.  I love pizza!

Thanks once again for the work you do keeping us supplied with recipes.  The chefs here appreciate it.

• Like 25

Good morning to all. I flashed back to helping my friend as a child collect dandelion greens for their salads. We lived near a moderately sized city but had a lot of woodlands behind our houses. I suspect there were no pesticides in that soil back then.

The executive Chef has decided on pizza today but we will stick to the thin crust type. We have cauliflower crusts for those with gluten problems and regular crusts in the freezer.All will be happy.

I am  very  happy to report that our Tana is finally feeling a little better.I was with her last night and neither of us woke up until the bird racket began at 5. That is the first time she has been able to sleep for five hours in a row!

@NextOne, a very Happy Birthday to you

@msmayor, enjoy Lana and I hope your daughter feels more comfortable soon

Terry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

@dfish, Debbie, I will do the happy dance with you! Great news about the incidentaloma. As for white pizza, we had a place in the city I grew up in that had the best and DD told me  only last week that it closed. We would  always be willing to take a drive to the old neighborhood if we could get white pizza!

• Like 25

Good morning.

Prayers and toasts.

Cruzan 9 Punch:

Ingredients
1 1/4 parts Cruzan® 9 Spiced Rum
4 parts Orange Juice
1 part Cranberry Juice
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Build over ice in a highball glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 8.29.13 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

It was a beautiful day on Oct. 28, 2014 when the Prinsendam arrived in Marmaris, Turkey.  We had just been to Ashdod, Israel two days earlier and spent a long day touring Jerusalem so a nice day spent strolling through this port was just what we needed. Besides, we all wanted Wi-Fi!!   Here we are approaching the dock at a marina filled with sailboats.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrlTQujEyGAn5_LLIvyOhT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774447

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLt9xS88Z7IxI53bvGQQj2b?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774456

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKWi6upwDnbynOStJWuAKIC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774466

The town was very clean and we noticed in addition to sailboats there were lots of yachts to admire.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGmHaT9XDA2QYDH8WR4AxN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774469

Along the waterfront were a lot of statues, too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNC0qzZjVPEgFX_Tsv6jaQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774470

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqoHuaZlMQfOnpu4jvJ2f0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774475

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIVPK_PIY34yhfosyrmdMMX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774478

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJz67ZAa8dxCFTIRC9Gj9U3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774483

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLMFi1MAmtJrvCQ5fh7pqPU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774489

There was a small castle on a hill which we walked up to but no one wanted to pay an admission fee to go inside so we just took a quick glance in the doorway and left.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLn_wzk7msQNnvP51NPV0KO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774497

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjcixnkStkyUFrYl7FyGJc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774503

I have no idea why I am sitting here unless it was just a short rest.  And I can't read Turkish!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJfRZp3z9o8NrYhAxPKlUT9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774505

This looks like a nice place to spend some time shopping.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF7JYdylgqdRGs7Yw9WfGm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774508

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdMkxMgE0XbfRUbUYOC_p7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774508

Along the waterfront were many cafes to stop and have a refreshment.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRN1ZHQ-Au1pRen3iOB48I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774483

So on our walk back we stopped at one and sat on a cozy seating area to have a cold drink.  I had to crop of photo of us sitting with our travel friends because I don't think they'd want their identity exposed after I just told you that story about them.  Lol!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKS-OoOXrDJdNuyA9XLwggr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1649162291

I don't drink beer so I'm not sure what I had to drink that day.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtJguIPk29ltaFDzIx9LX1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774524

Right across from our table and sofa was this yacht with a place to hide the "toys" inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAWl2SCd7JjqTUXYK-eHdW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774516

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBe0egvYDRfEI2RU3VrWb4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774517

As the Prinsendam left that afternoon, you can see from this photo the top of the castle we walked over to earlier.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKnIvBQq1-_nHXpuev9l6-Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774542

It was a nice day in Marmaris.  Hope you get to enjoy it someday, too.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Dailyites!  Like @StLouisCruisers I awoke to a red sky this morning, tinged heavily with yellow pollen. Sitting at the computer I have a great view of an impending storm coming in from the south west.

@dfish I am glad that they have discovered the problem, that it is benign.  I am doing my second test today for my adrenal gland, and should get my results in another week.  I put off doing the test because of having to go back into town, and every day I scheduled it, DH made an appointment with another Doc to find out what was happening with him.  Yesterday's visit we were informed that because of chemo, radiation, and the removal of the the teeth prior to radiation, it appears that the nerves in his mouth along the jaw line have been causing the pain.  He is to pick up a new drug today at the pharmacy.

I too love pizza, actually in any form, but am I the only one who hates arugula?

@smitty34877  I was so happy to read that Tana got a full 5 hours of sleep last night  Good sleep is a great healer.

Feral Fawn is still hanging in there, she really doesn't leave the back patio area, she wont go back on the porch, and she is now used to me bringing food to her.  We gave her some steak the opther day.  I told her that it was salted mouse, and she ate it.  She appears to like cream, and her favorite treats.  However, I am not sure that she wont totally freak when the weather gets bad later today.

8b58dd81471a28312d3b769d01fd51c5.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. I flashed back to helping my friend as a child collect dandelion greens for their salads. We lived near a moderately sized city but had a lot of woodlands behind our houses. I suspect there were no pesticides in that soil back then.

The executive Chef has decided on pizza today but we will stick to the thin crust type. We have cauliflower crusts for those with gluten problems and regular crusts in the freezer.All will be happy.

I am  very  happy to report that our Tana is finally feeling a little better.I was with her last night and neither of us woke up until the bird racket began at 5. That is the first time she has been able to sleep for five hours in a row!

@NextOne, a very Happy Birthday to you

@msmayor, enjoy Lana and I hope your daughter feels more comfortable soon

Terry

Terry, what a great feeling for you two when you awoke after finally getting some good rest.  Five hours in a row is major when you haven't been able to sleep for some time.  It is so good of your family to take turns staying with Tana at night.  It must make her feel so much more comfortable.  And isn't it amazing how noisy the birds are in the morning?  When we go out in the early-a.m. darkness to walk the birds are crazy noisy then.  I always wonder what kind of alarm clock they use!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1