Insurance question please.

For Aussies there are only 2 insurance companies that cover covid and multi port cruises. According to MSC who require covid and cruise insurance before you board - at the moment they are  " Go insurance, goplus add cruise and Alliance Premium plus cruise.  Both are extremely expensive - I was quoted over $1,000 for our 5 week holiday in the med. UK cruisers are getting insurance for under $100 !!

On 4/6/2022 at 2:05 PM, Aus Traveller said:

OK. Just thought I would mention it. 🙂

It has worked well for us. For $89 a year we have insurance on all our cruises. The only cost comes if we have to claim. The excess is now $300 for international.

Do you take out alternative insurance for local domestic cruises that don't visit an international port?

We have always used us our ANZ Credit card insurance, but taken out policies for local cruises.

Just wondering if anything has changed? Havent had to use it in a while😢

20 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Do you take out alternative insurance for local domestic cruises that don't visit an international port?

We have always used us our ANZ Credit card insurance, but taken out policies for local cruises.

Just wondering if anything has changed? Havent had to use it in a while😢

ANZ cc insurance now includes domestic travel.

59 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

ANZ cc insurance now includes domestic travel.

I typed the short answer above while I was on the phone with someone from NBN who told me a technician will come to my premises to install optic cable. Strange - I have had a similar call maybe 50 or so times in the past and no-one has ever come. 😁 Of course, the caller can never tell me the full name of the person who owns the account. I only pull that one when I have had enough fun with the caller.

Back to the original question. Previously the ANZ Visa card insurance did not cover domestic travelling. Cruises to Nth Qld are international, but I checked into the matter because we have also booked a cruise to Tassie. The way I see it, that might be regarded as a domestic cruise. However, on checking the pds for the ANZ Platinum Visa card insurance, I see that the latest change that comes into effect this month, extends coverage to domestic travel.

Here are some relevant extracts:\

DOMESTIC TRAVEL INSURANCE
PART A - ELIGIBILITY FOR COVER
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
As a cardholder with an ANZ Credit Card you are eligible for the cover available if:
a] the entire cost of your return domestic flight ticket is charged to the account holder’s card account prior to commencing the journey; or
b] before commencing your journey, you spend at least $250 on your prepaid travel costs and you charge these costs (e.g. cost of your return domestic travel ticket; and/or airport/departure taxes; and/or your prepaid domestic accommodation/
travel; and/or your other prepaid domestic itinerary items) to the accountholder's card account and you have a return domestic flight ticket prior to commencing the journey.

BENEFIT LIMITS
Section Limit
1.1 Cancellation Up to a maximum total limit of $3,000
2.1 Travel Delay Expenses 4 hours or more, $125 per person up to a maximum total limit of $300
3.1 Additional Expenses Up to a maximum total limit of $3,000
4.1 Luggage Up to $750 for each covered item, up to a maximum total limit of $2,000
4.2 Luggage Delay 12 hours or more, $150 per person, up to a maximum total limit of $400 for all claims combined.

There is an excess of $100 on cancellation, expenses and luggage claims.

EXCLUSIONS

any epidemic or pandemic, unless your claim relates to you or your travel companion being positively diagnosed as suffering a sickness recognised as an epidemic or pandemic

(But not if you are travelling against advice issued by an Australian government)

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I typed the short answer above while I was on the phone with someone from NBN who told me a technician will come to my premises to install optic cable. Strange - I have had a similar call maybe 50 or so times in the past and no-one has ever come. 😁 Of course, the caller can never tell me the full name of the person who owns the account. I only pull that one when I have had enough fun with the caller.

Back to the original question. Previously the ANZ Visa card insurance did not cover domestic travelling. Cruises to Nth Qld are international, but I checked into the matter because we have also booked a cruise to Tassie. The way I see it, that might be regarded as a domestic cruise. However, on checking the pds for the ANZ Platinum Visa card insurance, I see that the latest change that comes into effect this month, extends coverage to domestic travel.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
As a cardholder with an ANZ Credit Card you are eligible for the cover available if:
a] the entire cost of your return domestic flight ticket is charged to the account holder’s card account prior to commencing the journey; or
b] before commencing your journey, you spend at least $250 on your prepaid travel costs and you charge these costs (e.g. cost of your return domestic travel ticket; and/or airport/departure taxes; and/or your prepaid domestic accommodation/
travel; and/or your other prepaid domestic itinerary items) to the accountholder's card account and you have a return domestic flight ticket prior to commencing the journey.

BENEFIT LIMITS
Section Limit
2.1 Travel Delay Expenses 4 hours or more, $125 per person up to a maximum total limit of $300
4.1 Luggage Up to $750 for each covered item, up to a maximum total limit of $2,000
4.2 Luggage Delay 12 hours or more, $150 per person, up to a maximum total limit of $400 for all claims combined.

EXCLUSIONS

any epidemic or pandemic, unless your claim relates to you or your travel companion being positively diagnosed as suffering a sickness recognised as an epidemic or pandemic

(But not if you are travelling against advice issued by an Australian government)

Ok, just got off the phone with a lovely person from ANZ Allianz Card Insurance.

As you have posted above Aus Traveller, they have new Domestic Insurance but that does not include medical, just flights, cancellations etc within Australia.

She said even though the cruise is classed Domestic (not stopping at overseas ports) if it is a vessel registered overseas ( as are all the lines that sail here) you need International Insurance. Ok, I knew all that, reason we always took out other insurance and not use the CC card for Domestic cruises.

Good news is....their International cover includes that now, the clause that used to says " needs to stop at an International port" is not there.

On Page 10 of the new booklet effective April 27th 2022 the definition of Overseas is

"outside of Australia and its territories, and includes when you are aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters."

She said they have been inundated with calls re cruising, with confusion re Domestic/International.

So under their definition, you are covered under their full International cover as long as the ship is not registered in Australia, you meet the criteria to activate coverage even on a 3 nighter.

Whoohoo, not more taking out extra insurance for us!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Ok, just got off the phone with a lovely person from ANZ Allianz Card Insurance.

As you have posted above Aus Traveller, they have new Domestic Insurance but that does not include medical, just flights, cancellations etc within Australia.

She said even though the cruise is classed Domestic (not stopping at overseas ports) if it is a vessel registered overseas ( as are all the lines that sail here) you need International Insurance. Ok, I knew all that, reason we always took out other insurance and not use the CC card for Domestic cruises.

Good news is....their International cover includes that now, the clause that used to says " needs to stop at an International port" is not there.

On Page 10 of the new booklet effective April 27th 2022 the definition of Overseas is

"outside of Australia and its territories, and includes when you are aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters."

She said they have been inundated with calls re cruising, with confusion re Domestic/International.

So under their definition, you are covered under their full International cover as long as the ship is not registered in Australia, you meet the criteria to activate coverage even on a 3 nighter.

Whoohoo, not more taking out extra insurance for us!!

Thanks for posting the info. I had heard previously that a cruise (for instance B'ne to Tassie) would be treated as international.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks for posting the info. I had heard previously that a cruise (for instance B'ne to Tassie) would be treated as international.

Yes, the important bit now is their definition of overseas. Such good cover now with the inclusion of Covid related stuff, and we never go with anything less than Unlimited Medical and Emergency.

Thanks for all your info Aus Traveller, made me get off my butt and do a bit of searching having booked a couple of 3 nighters.

A lot of people are just reading what is on the travel insurance website and not reading the fine print terms and conditions. One person is believing what a TA tells them about Covermore.

Edited by cruisine21

On 4/6/2022 at 1:52 PM, possum52 said:

We have decided not to cruise this year so have booked a trip to Cairns for ten days in July/August. I have been looking at domestic travel insurance to cover us in case we have to cancel, particularly for Covid cover.

Usually I have only ever taken domestic travel insurance to cover loss of luggage etc so has not cost us very much.

I am surprised that all the travel insurance poliices I have looked at include medical screening for each person on the policy. Has that always been the case for domestic policies or is new because of Covid? As medical is not covered because we have Medicare, I wonder why it is required.

That doesn’t seem right. Maybe call a few to confirm.

1 hour ago, cruisine21 said:

That doesn’t seem right. Maybe call a few to confirm.

Unfortunately, it appears all the companies are wanting medical screening. I have spent the past couple of days searching for domestic TI and all I have found needed medical screening. I have now purchased a policy with 1Cover which was a reasonable price compared to others. My husband has heart issues So of course the price goes up. 

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Unfortunately, it appears all the companies are wanting medical screening. I have spent the past couple of days searching for domestic TI and all I have found needed medical screening. I have now purchased a policy with 1Cover which was a reasonable price compared to others. My husband has heart issues So of course the price goes up. 

It also looks like all companies now have a excess. When I previously took out a domestic policy when travelling to Tassie there was no excess.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

It also looks like all companies now have a excess. When I previously took out a domestic policy when travelling to Tassie there was no excess.

Yes, you are correct.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, Aus Traveller said:

WHO IS ELIGIBLE?

BENEFIT LIMITS
Section Limit

EXCLUSIONS

Thanks for this. hmmm so I am thinking I might be changing from Westpac to ANZ credit card!!!

Of course in our case, hubby is over the age limit (now 83 and looking 63 if you look at our profile pic) so I am still thinking whether i can use the complimentary insurance and we just take out cover for him (1Cover will cover him no prob, just ANY claim relating to someone over 80 involves an excess of $3000. But what can you do, we need insurance.

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Thanks for this. hmmm so I am thinking I might be changing from Westpac to ANZ credit card!!!

Of course in our case, hubby is over the age limit (now 83 and looking 63 if you look at our profile pic) so I am still thinking whether i can use the complimentary insurance and we just take out cover for him (1Cover will cover him no prob, just ANY claim relating to someone over 80 involves an excess of $3000. But what can you do, we need insurance.

The only credit card insurance I have found that covers COVID is ANZ and that is only if the cardholder or their travelling companion tests positive. I feel other companies will have to extend their coverage, but we don't now when.

Age limit - The only two I have found so far that have no age limit are HSBC and Bank of Queensland (so far I can't find a limit in the BoQ). Both are under-written by Allianz.

I also want to check out Macquarie Bank and Suncorp. When I have finished my research, if you like I can email you a copy.

This is only meant as a guide to the factors that I feel are important. All insurers cover lost luggage, theft, kidnapping, hi-jacking etc. I haven't included items like coverage for the cost of pet boarding if your return is delayed for medical reasons! After reading my analysis, you should check the relevant pds to make sure the product suits your needs.

• Like 1

Aus Traveller please post any insurance info you dig up because I am sure it is a subject that we will all be looking into at some time in the future once cruising recommences. 

Any restrictions such as age limits, excesses and covid/medical restrictions etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

Aus Traveller please post any insurance info you dig up because I am sure it is a subject that we will all be looking into at some time in the future once cruising recommences. 

Any restrictions such as age limits, excesses and covid/medical restrictions etc.

Thanks in advance.

I would like to wait until Monday to post information. I have researched travel insurance with ten banks, but want to check with Macquarie Bank on a couple of points. Their underwriter isn't available until Monday.

I have to emphasise that my information is general in nature 😁 and that the full pds should be read to ascertain if the insurance if right for you.

• Like 3

Much appreciated.  I am keeping a list of possible insurers to look into when the time comes.  First sailing from Melb is not until November so things will change by then but any info is welcome.

• Like 2

Just now, Ondine said:

Much appreciated.  I am keeping a list of possible insurers to look into when the time comes.  First sailing from Melb is not until November so things will change by then but any info is welcome.

I feel the situation regarding covering for COVID related events will change. Once I starting researching and reading pds, I felt it was worth considering the lesser-known banks as well as the major ones.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel the situation regarding covering for COVID related events will change. Once I starting researching and reading pds, I felt it was worth considering the lesser-known banks as well as the major ones.  

As we are sailing june we  decided to book and have gone with 1Cover as they will cover my83 year old husband. And they do full covid cover. Plus cancellation fees and lost deposits are unlimited.

the downside of cover for over 80 is, in the event of a claim fir my husband, his excess would be $3000 whereas mine would be $200. 
However we had to have it so will just be praying none needed.

Fully comp policy cost us $520 for 17 day cruise.

will continue to monitor how things are going for ongoing cruises. Thanks for your research too Austraveller

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I should have my comparison of CC insurance complete on Monday after I made a phone call. It is looking very interesting. If you haven't already finalised the insurance you mention, can I dare suggest that you wait until Monday?

I have confirmed the one I mentioned as I was getting nervous about it. However we’ve got October 2022, Feb 2023 and feb 2024 all booked so I’ll be watching closely.

mjust out of interest, when I’ve been trying to check quotes for Melbourne to NZ February 2023, it’s saying can’t quote in that yet! I think they’re monitoring whether nz will stay open. If we can’t get insurance we’d be canceling. 
It’s the age facet that makes the expense though. This is the 83 year old I’m trying to get insured lol
0B356073-FEB6-4AE3-8FCE-EC76074A4141.jpeg.dfb41e6fc89e820a73dc1dafb805218d.jpeg

• Like 1

Currently four of the cc companies have no age limit, but only Macquarie seems to cover COVID. On reading their pds I cannot find mention of either an age limit of an exemption relating to a pandemic. but I want to phone them on Monday just to be sure that I haven't missed something on multiple reading of the pds.

Currently we are OK with ANZ because neither of us havs reached the major figure of 81, but I am looking to the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I have confirmed the one I mentioned as I was getting nervous about it. However we’ve got October 2022, Feb 2023 and feb 2024 all booked so I’ll be watching closely.

mjust out of interest, when I’ve been trying to check quotes for Melbourne to NZ February 2023, it’s saying can’t quote in that yet! I think they’re monitoring whether nz will stay open. If we can’t get insurance we’d be canceling. 
It’s the age facet that makes the expense though. This is the 83 year old I’m trying to get insured lol
0B356073-FEB6-4AE3-8FCE-EC76074A4141.jpeg.dfb41e6fc89e820a73dc1dafb805218d.jpeg

That's a lovely photo. I agree - your husband doesn't look 83.