Insurance question please.

9 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Has anyone used the Commonwealth bank Platinum card travel insurance on their cruise ,if so any any comments good or bad ?

Cheers John

The relevant info I have on the Comm Bank travel insurance is that it covers people under 80, BUT older people can pay for an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

The relevant info I have on the Comm Bank travel insurance is that it covers people under 80, BUT older people can pay for an upgrade.

May be worth finding out the cost of the upgrade.  I do believe it is covermore insurance. Thank you once again.

16 minutes ago, bedrick said:

Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put in to gather and share this extremely  relevant information  Aus Traveller.  It is incredibly helpful and very much appreciated.

Plus having the patience to help an old boy like me  👍 

Cheers John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

May be worth finding out the cost of the upgrade.  I do believe it is covermore insurance. Thank you once again.

Currently covermore are not covering anything covid to my knowledge

1 minute ago, Cbtours said:

Currently covermore are not covering anything covid to my knowledge

Yes unfortunately that is correct.  I am hoping by the time my cruise in  Oct 2023 comes around something maybe sorted out  in regards to Covid insurance. 

Cheers John

Just now, JohnGc said:

Yes unfortunately that is correct.  I am hoping by the time my cruise in  Oct 2023 comes around something maybe sorted out  in regards to Covid insurance. 

Cheers John

We are sailing coral princess in October 2022 and then February 2024 both round Australia and as they are classed as domestic, we are able to get cover from 1Cover both for covid snd 83 year old

5 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

We are sailing coral princess in October 2022 and then February 2024 both round Australia and as they are classed as domestic, we are able to get cover from 1Cover both for covid snd 83 year old

Covermore  quoted $2570 for my Trans Pacific cruise 18 nights . No Covid cover. A bit of a shock.

Edited by JohnGc

Just now, JohnGc said:

They quoted $2570 for my Trans Pacific cruise 18 nights . A bit of a shock.

Wow! We paid $686 for 28 day round aus in October. ($520 for 18 days June). We’re both Aussies in case that makes a difference 

Wow! We paid $686 for 28 day round aus in October. ($520 for 18 days June). We’re both Aussies in case that makes a difference 

Sorry did edit my post to covermore and not 1 Cover. The wife and I are both Aussies .  Great that they cover Covid for you. Maybe it is the International cruises that is a bigger problem covering Covid and especially going to America. Around Aus for 28 days sounds great I bet you can't wait. I will have to do that one later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

Plus having the patience to help an old boy like me  👍 

Cheers John

Several of us have to start looking at the upper age limit that the travel insurance will cover. 🙂My husband gets his OBE (over bloody eighty) later this year. Cruises we book before his 81st birthday are covered by our present ANZ Platinum visa insurance, but I need a plan for after that. That's me - plan ahead. I know it would be difficult to convince him to book a cruise if we have to add several hundred dollars for insurance (even on a seven-night cruise). I will be watching Suncorp and Bank of Qld to see if they include cover for COVID in the future. I believe all insurance companies will have to eventually.

37 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Covermore  quoted $2570 for my Trans Pacific cruise 18 nights . No Covid cover. A bit of a shock.

23 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Sorry did edit my post to covermore and not 1 Cover. The wife and I are both Aussies .  Great that they cover Covid for you. Maybe it is the International cruises that is a bigger problem covering Covid and especially going to America. Around Aus for 28 days sounds great I bet you can't wait. I will have to do that one later.

1Cover are not covering over 80 for international travel anywhere as far as I know, not just cruising. I tried them for a trip to South Africa once its safe to travel again (for my South African husband to get home to see family after the last two years). I can get international cover with others, just not cruising

Our 14th June cruise (if it happens) is unfortunately cruising around Willis Island. Westpac (via Allianz) advised us they would cover a domestic cruise, not international!

Their only condition was that the total amount needed to be paid on the card (no problems there)

I will clarify this again first thing Tuesday, but looking like they won’t cover. No time to apply for an ANZ card, but will be for the next cruises need to be paid starting In August.

I don’t even think I will try for pre existing unfortunately.

Just now, resordanis said:

Our 14th June cruise (if it happens) is unfortunately cruising around Willis Island. Westpac (via Allianz) advised us they would cover a domestic cruise, not international!

Their only condition was that the total amount needed to be paid on the card (no problems there)

I will clarify this again first thing Tuesday, but looking like they won’t cover. No time to apply for an ANZ card, but will be for the next cruises need to be paid starting In August.

are you meaning cos going round willis makes it international? 1Cover classes cruises as international even if domestic I think. We are going round aus which includes willis island. I believe its because you are not disembarking in any foreign ports.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Several of us have to start looking at the upper age limit that the travel insurance will cover. 🙂My husband gets his OBE (over bloody eighty) later this year. Cruises we book before his 81st birthday are covered by our present ANZ Platinum visa insurance, but I need a plan for after that. That's me - plan ahead. I know it would be difficult to convince him to book a cruise if we have to add several hundred dollars for insurance (even on a seven-night cruise). I will be watching Suncorp and Bank of Qld to see if they include cover for COVID in the future. I believe all insurance companies will have to eventually.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I know once you get over the 80 mark its a royal pain. I hope you are right regarding insurance companies covering covid. As in my earlier post RCI seem to have it covered which I am fine with an Australian cruise but  very nervous about our short stay in Honolulu before our cruise back to Brisbane. As that is in Oct 2023  ( fingers crossed )  covid insurance may be sorted. Seems like platinum does not cover domestic cruises. I am yet to get into all the PDS and what is what. Did get a quote from Covermore for a domestic cruise ( medical only ) for three adults 8 nights $225  through comm Bank. still to look at the PDS.

27 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Absoloutely cant wait. We are actually repeating it in Feb 2024. The Oct one this year was sort of incidental in that we were waitlisted for an inside when there was NO cruising yet, and it just sort of morphed into a real trip when they matched our waitlist and offered us a balcony. Honestly we're so starved of real holidays that we will be happy just being on the ship lol

1 minute ago, resordanis said:

Cruises to North Q'ld (going past Willis Is) are usually classified as international. Presumably you have already paid for your 14th June cruise so you can't get a new credit card to pay for it. As you say, you can for your cruises where payment is in August. At the moment I suggest ANZ because they cover COVID and do not require a particular level of annual income, just a "good credit rating".

4 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

are you meaning cos going round willis makes it international? 1Cover classes cruises as international even if domestic I think. We are going round aus which includes willis island. I believe its because you are not disembarking in any foreign ports.

Q'ld coastal cruises (going past Willis Is) are classified as international for duty free purposes and with most (if not all) travel insurance companies.

5 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

I know once you get over the 80 mark its a royal pain. I hope you are right regarding insurance companies covering covid. As in my earlier post RCI seem to have it covered which I am fine with an Australian cruise but  very nervous about our short stay in Honolulu before our cruise back to Brisbane. As that is in Oct 2023  ( fingers crossed )  covid insurance may be sorted. Seems like platinum does not cover domestic cruises. I am yet to get into all the PDS and what is what. Did get a quote from Covermore for a domestic cruise ( medical only ) for three adults 8 nights $225  through comm Bank. still to look at the PDS.

Different terms and conditions with each bank. ANZ now has domestic travel insurance (a new addition) as part of their platinum Visa card travel insurance.

Absoloutely cant wait. We are actually repeating it in Feb 2024. The Oct one this year was sort of incidental in that we were waitlisted for an inside when there was NO cruising yet, and it just sort of morphed into a real trip when they matched our waitlist and offered us a balcony. Honestly we're so starved of real holidays that we will be happy just being on the ship lol

Great, I know how you feel. Now we are in our 80s we have decided to go out with a bang lol. Grab all the cruises you can  I reckon. We have nearly three years of cruising to make up for. Enjoy your cruises. 

• Haha 1

Just now, JohnGc said:

Great, I know how you feel. Now we are in our 80s we have decided to go out with a bang lol. Grab all the cruises you can  I reckon. We have nearly three years of cruising to make up for. Enjoy your cruises. 

Us too. I'm not there yet but hubby is. Why wait, we're both very fit and healthy so we plan to make the most of it while we can enjoy it.

51 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Cruises to North Q'ld (going past Willis Is) are usually classified as international. Presumably you have already paid for your 14th June cruise so you can't get a new credit card to pay for it. As you say, you can for your cruises where payment is in August. At the moment I suggest ANZ because they cover COVID and do not require a particular level of annual income, just a "good credit rating".

We actually haven’t paid as yet, but will this week if we go ahead. We are now thinking of cancelling if we cannot use our Westpac Credit Card insurance.  Allianz did say Domestic cruises only. Prices I am getting for a 10 day cruise with no pre existing around between $480 - $500(if this is classed as International. NIB with Covid cover were nearly $800. With  Allianz we have been able to pay an additional $90 for both of us  to cover pre existing.. We will be applying for the ANZ card for when finals are due for the cruises later in the year. We think we might fly to Cairns just seems easier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, resordanis said:

We actually haven’t paid as yet, but will this week if we go ahead. We are now thinking of cancelling if we cannot use our Westpac Credit Card insurance.  Allianz did say Domestic cruises only. Prices I am getting for a 10 day cruise with no pre existing around between $480 - $500(if this is classed as International. NIB with Covid cover were nearly $800. With  Allianz we have been able to pay an additional $90 for both of us  to cover pre existing.. We will be applying for the ANZ card for when finals are due for the cruises later in the year. We think we might fly to Cairns just seems easier.

Yes - I admit it - I am like a terrier with a bone. I don't give up if it is something I want to do.

How long would it take you to get an ANZ card? What day do you have to pay the final balance? If you booked through a travel agent they probably quoted a date much earlier than required by the cruise line.  If you booked through a TA and you told them you would cancel if you had to pay immediately, but if you had a small extension, you would keep the booking, you might find you get an extension of the payment date. Just worth thinking about ........

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes - I admit it - I am like a terrier with a bone. I don't give up if it is something I want to do.

How long would it take you to get an ANZ card? What day do you have to pay the final balance? If you booked through a travel agent they probably quoted a date much earlier than required by the cruise line.  If you booked through a TA and you told them you would cancel if you had to pay immediately, but if you had a small extension, you would keep the booking, you might find you get an extension of the payment date. Just worth thinking about ........

I am past final payment and P&O are extending until they can give an answer re going ashore on our own in Cairns. This I felt was quite a generous  offer SO when I get the advice I will have to pay, but certainly it did have me thinking for a moment or two. Thank you. Flying is definitely an option at this stage, as we really only want a short time in Cairns and that was the only reason to do this cruise!

• Like 1