NSW Government has released their rules for cruising starting!

The New South Wales Government has released their rules for cruising starting:

From New South Wales Government:  https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/plain-sailing-for-cruise-ships-as-industry-set-to-return-to-nsw-waters?fbclid=IwAR2sb7ZTKCf-Srd0ZX_yroBCMumNF6QtTSB_GmJ1IYwRorXTsTTHrfUjW2w#:~:text=NSW is set to welcome,prohibits cruising in Australian waters

“NSW has led the charge planning for the safe resumption of cruising once the Commonwealth ban is lifted. This work has been done in close partnership with officials from the Federal, Victorian and Queensland Governments and cruise industry operators.

The priority for all the parties involved with the resumption of cruising is to ensure strong safeguards are in place to mitigate the risk of COVID-19, including to regional areas. The protocols include:

• All passengers over the age of 12 and crew will need to be fully vaccinated to board domestic and international cruises (as defined by the Commonwealth for international border entry requirements);
  • All passengers and crew will be required to have a negative COVID test before embarkation and will require the wearing of masks at embarkation and disembarkation;
  • Covid safe plans will be developed for all shore excursions, which will consider the specific needs of local communities, particularly regional communities;
  • Covid safe plans have also been developed for disembarkation of any COVID positive cases and close contacts;
  • Cruise operators will provide for a range of enhanced on board public health measures to reduce the risk of transmission, including information to travellers about covid safe practices including social-distancing, enhanced cleaning, and the availability for on board Covid-19 testing.

Minister for Transport and Veterans David Elliott said the hard working men and women on our ports are waiting to receive visitors with open arms.”

“As a seafaring nation, cruising is synonymous with our way of life and with the return of these majestic ships, Aussies will once again be able to embrace one of our most popular holiday experiences,” Mr Elliott said.

“The protocols we have put in place are such that we are confident ships can return to our shores without compromising public health or safety.”

Now we need to see what P&O Australia and Princess does with these rules.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok. so nothing new or unexpected then.

I'm particularly interested in what they do with regard to shore excursions - ie: are you allowed to wander off the ship by yourself or will you be limited to taking cruise line excursions so they can control to an extent any interaction with the public.

The rest sounds like common sense to me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The Covid tests are going to be interesting.

I wonder how complicated our government will make that.

Not particularly complicated, but it will still be a pain in rrrr's

Similar to O/S flights, you will need a validated RAT. If they allow 72 hours it will be manageable, but 48hs is a bit of a stretch to know you will get your results in time for boarding, especially if travelling to Sydney the day before. Also, validated tests are not free.

I don't know if the cruise lines will support the process by having a marquee at the terminal for those that haven't managed to get their test done. If like the airport, express validated tests come at a price.

39 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

The priority for all the parties involved with the resumption of cruising is to ensure strong safeguards are in place to mitigate the risk of COVID-19, including to regional areas. The protocols include:

Cruise operators will provide for a range of enhanced on board public health measures to reduce the risk of transmission, including information to travellers about covid safe practices including social-distancing, enhanced cleaning, and the availability for on board Covid-19 testing.

Now we need to see what P&O Australia and Princess does with these rules.

I don't think they get to do a lot with these rules, as they seem to be mostly mandated by NSW Health. On land, it was up to businesses to develop covid safe plans within the guidelines. I don't think there is much discretion on the cruise lines' part.

There are encouraging signs though. It looks like NSW, QLD & VIC are all on the same page. Also the word mitigate is key, as they expect there will be cases and the aim is to manage transmission risks. Like the US, the self-serve buffet will be a point and serve me buffet, and they may apply masks in indoor settings where distancing is not possible. I hope the muster is as simple as visiting your station, then watching the demonstration from your cabin.

I hope that dancing is allowed in the night club, as well as stand-up drinking.

Onboard testing is interesting. Will the ship decide who gets tested and when, or will you have the option of asking to be tested if you think you may have caught something. For most lines in the US, you had to display symptoms or be a travel party contact to get tested.

Embark & debark for the first cruise could be an interesting experience. Lying on the health forms doesn't cut it anymore. 😏

We have a cruise planned in November ....I'm sure rules will change by then but as they stand now

I don't need a test to enter Australia, to visit any city, or facility but I do need a test to get on a cruise in Australia which will take me to same places?

I could fly or drive to Cairns and not need a test but if I take a ship I need a test?

I could organize a private excursion with any company on land to the great barrier reef and don't need a test but if I'm on a ship I need to choose from a select few companies and have already provided a negative test? Seems reasonable

In NA cruise ships were able to verify that their numbers were vastly fewer than anywhere on land that had no restrictions. These rules seem to be based on feeling and not 'science'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not particularly complicated, but it will still be a pain in rrrr's

Similar to O/S flights, you will need a validated RAT. If they allow 72 hours it will be manageable, but 48hs is a bit of a stretch to know you will get your results in time for boarding, especially if travelling to Sydney the day before. Also, validated tests are not free.

I don't know if the cruise lines will support the process by having a marquee at the terminal for those that haven't managed to get their test done. If like the airport, express validated tests come at a price.

Singapore has PCR Covid test on the day and you pay.

All they give you is about 4-5 hours before the cruise,no walk ups.
3 places can do it and it has to be booked.

Im sure the Australian government could make it more stressful than that.

How about for Sydney departures, only one testing at Dubbo.

For Brisbane departures , one at Toowoomba.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Haha 4

Seems generally reasonable and although I agree one can fly drive to anywhere within Australia without any testing and do whatever one wants, it seems the government (and similar to worldwide) aren’t ready to remove all restrictions. Once the islands open I’m sure they will want the reassurance everyone has a negative test.

Chemist warehouse are now doing validated RAT’s for $29.95, you can get them in any city prior to traveling to the port. I don’t think the testing requirements for embarkation will be difficult to fulfill.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Seems generally reasonable and although I agree one can fly drive to anywhere within Australia without any testing and do whatever one wants, it seems the government (and similar to worldwide) aren’t ready to remove all restrictions. Once the islands open I’m sure they will want the reassurance everyone has a negative test.

Chemist warehouse are now doing validated RAT’s for $29.95, you can get them in any city prior to traveling to the port. I don’t think the testing requirements for embarkation will be difficult to fulfill.

If it’s like the US and can be done at a chemist within 2 days  .

That won’t be to bad.

• Like 1

I will be interested to know what happens in this situation, we are booked on a cruise out of Brisbane in November and we have stops in Sydney and Eden, are we allowed to get off and do our own thing in these ports and come back and board our ship again or will we have to do a ships tour to get off.

I wonder what the Pre-boarding NEGATIVE TEST will need to be. Will it be a $150pp Traveller PCR Test or a RAT Test. That's the protocols I am waiting to see.
You can't just rock up to a testing clinic now and ask for a FREE PCR Test. 

Edited by CDaze71

1 hour ago, qbay46 said:

I will be interested to know what happens in this situation, we are booked on a cruise out of Brisbane in November and we have stops in Sydney and Eden, are we allowed to get off and do our own thing in these ports and come back and board our ship again or will we have to do a ships tour to get off.

Maybe the restrictions on shore tours are more likely to come into effect with visits outside Australia where the local authorities want to protect their local mainly-unvaccinated community.

12 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

I wonder the the NEGATIVE TEST we need will need to be a Traveller (PAID) PCR Test or a RAT Test. That's the protocols I am waiting to see.

I agree with your comment. However, if the authorities want a PCR test rather than a RAT test, does that imply that they don't trust the RAT??? Yes, I know RATs are regarded as not as reliable as PCRs.

• Like 1

Vague guidelines, like PCR or RAT test and how long before embarkation?   I really think the NSW Govt should have gone further and directed what on board protocols should be mandatory on board, i.e. mask wearing, social distancing, dancing, stand up drinking, buffet operations, shorex etc. Not just let the cruise lines make their own rules.  I see long waits at the cruise terminals, like Sydney Airport yesterday, chaos, long lines out to the street.

One wonders if the ships will be sailing to full capacity? Dangerous to allow the cruise lines determination there.  They will want to fill every bunk. $$$$$$$

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, CDaze71 said:

I wonder what the Pre-boarding NEGATIVE TEST will need to be. Will it be a $150pp Traveller PCR Test or a RAT Test. That's the protocols I am waiting to see.

Histopath are doing PCR tests at Brisbane airport for $79pp, by appointment I think. So if you're flying into Brisbane just get it done once you arrive. Otherwise hopefully there will be a Chemist Warehouse that's easy to get to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Histopath are doing PCR tests at Brisbane airport for $79pp, by appointment I think. So if you're flying into Brisbane just get it done once you arrive. Otherwise hopefully there will be a Chemist Warehouse that's easy to get to.

I live in Brisbane so no flying. But that is an option, head out to the airport and get one of those tests. Chemist Warehouse has advertised that they do the $30 supervised RAT Tests, would be great if these will be accepted. Also Carina Pharmacy does these for $45.

1 minute ago, CDaze71 said:

I live in Brisbane so no flying. But that is an option, head out to the airport and get one of those tests. Chemist Warehouse has advertised that they do the $30 supervised RAT Tests, would be great if these will be accepted. Also Carina Pharmacy does these for $45.

We're driving up on the Friday so will have the whole of Saturday to get a test. Would you be able to let me know which Chemist Warehouse stores are doing the tests please? We're staying in the city opposite the botanical gardens but, of course, having the car we can get to anywhere.

• Like 2

Ideally a rat at circular quay but there’s not enough room to have people waiting a hour.

Singapore had a good system but seem to have gone backwards.

They had to go to the convention centre, check in and do a free test conducted for the cruise line.

They would then proceed to the ship and by the time they got to the ship it was processed.

3 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Can you be tested from the street in Brisbane airport? Sydney airport was only doing them if you had a boarding pass.

• Like 1

We're driving up on the Friday so will have the whole of Saturday to get a test. Would you be able to let me know which Chemist Warehouse stores are doing the tests please? We're staying in the city opposite the botanical gardens but, of course, having the car we can get to anywhere.

I can't seem to find a single Chemist Warehouse that does it yet, but they have started advertising on TV about them. BUT Carina Pharmacy near us does them for $45, I just checked online and I could have booked it for today (Saturday). If they accept supervised RAT Tests, that's where we will go. 
https://www.medadvisor.com.au/Network/CarinaDayNightPharmacy

1 hour ago, CDaze71 said:

It will be half way - a traveller paid RAT test. I guess they don't trust us to walk up with a home test as proof, as it would be a similar level of integrity to the tick and flick health forms

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

I can't seem to find a single Chemist Warehouse that does it yet, but they have started advertising on TV about them. BUT Carina Pharmacy near us does them for $45, I just checked online and I could have booked it for today (Saturday). If they accept supervised RAT Tests, that's where we will go. 
https://www.medadvisor.com.au/Network/CarinaDayNightPharmacy

Once the cruises start the pharmacies will want the supervised RAT's business. So it will happen.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2