Reminder: Travellers to Canada (ArriveCAN)

Nghthawke

1 hour ago, Fluoroman11 said:

I have a cruise in May (7 days Seattle to Seattle), and the last stop (day 6) is in Victoria. So, would I need to complete the ArivCAN info on the cruise ship due to the 72 hrs deal? Can this be done in the Alaska ports? How's the data/phone coverage in the usual Alaska ports? Thanks for any help/experience you all have - I've never been to any Alaska ports.

Good question. I am also trying to understand how ArriveCan works. My princess cruise is in May and is similar to yours, will be stopping at Victoria on day 6. 

On princess FAQ site, it recommends us to submit all the necessary info in ArriveCan within 72hrs of embarkation for the cruise. So Holland America may be the same but I'd check with them to be sure.

Voyages that include Canada:
In addition to your health questionnaire, within 72 hours of embarkation the Canadian government requires guests to sign into ArriveCAN^ from a computer or download the mobile app to enter your proof of vaccination and travel information. You will receive an ArriveCAN receipt. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print your receipt to bring with you when you travel.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I think this is going to be like the restart, we won't know the exact outcome until the first couple of cruises.  

The first returning cruisers will be on the Koningsdam from Hawaii 18-day RT, to Vancouver on the 28th(?). 

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2022-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-April-4-for-external-distribution.pdf

AFAIK, the only people checking the ArrivCan receipt will be border officers when you enter Canada. Do a test run. Will ArrivCan process your application if your debarkation port is in Alaska? 

I'd just like to say that I'm happy to have seen this post. We don't sail until August, so who knows what the exact requirements will be then, but I was able to use the web interface to create an account, add all of my traveling family members, and familiarize myself with ArriveCAN.

I'll do whatever I need to do to make the world safer for everyone, but I was glad to get advance notice of this particular requirement.

Thanks, OP!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The first returning cruisers will be on the Koningsdam from Hawaii 18-day RT, to Vancouver on the 28th(?). 

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2022-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-April-4-for-external-distribution.pdf

AFAIK, the only people checking the ArrivCan receipt will be border officers when you enter Canada. Do a test run. Will ArrivCan process your application if your debarkation port is in Alaska? 

Well I guess I'm wondering if the terminal is checking when you arrive for embarkation?  The ArrivCan website implied it at one point 

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

Well I guess I'm wondering if the terminal is checking when you arrive for embarkation?  The ArrivCan website implied it at one point 

They might as a reminder to RT pax returning to Canada. Doesn't make sense for pax not returning to Canada, since Arrive-Canada won't process your application.

Let's not make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Should you have any doubts, I recommend making multiple dummy runs on the app. It should become clear about what you need to do and when.

Enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

They might as a reminder to RT pax returning to Canada. Doesn't make sense for pax not returning to Canada, since Arrive-Canada won't process your application.

Let's not make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Should you have any doubts, I recommend making multiple dummy runs on the app. It should become clear about what you need to do and when.

Enjoy your cruise.

Here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to let the first couple cruises to Alaska come back and report what they've personally experienced.  

I assure you it's going to get complicated and that we haven't heard the last of this if last year's requirements were any indication, it's rinse/repeat with the added Canadian layer to it. 

On 4/17/2022 at 1:11 PM, 12cruise2 said:

So you do NOT list your first port of entry on the cruise from Boston in Canada as the entry point, but the destination at the end of 7 days?  That doesn't make sense as IIRC they are asking for the info to be completed 72 hours before entry into Canada--so how does doing the entry in Boston, then say arriving in Montreal when there are other stops in Canada way before Montreal work out?  Honestly, Canada always has to do something confusing in addition to all the other hoops we jump through.

You will list your first port of entry into Canada, not the disembarkation port. For the Boston to Montreal cruise,  that will be Halifax. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ll be on Princess in Victoria on Friday. They’re checking ArriveCan QR codes before boarding. While you can use a web version, the app scans your passport info and uploads photos of your vaccine card. If you’re going to Victoria, put in Ogden Point as your first stop in Canada. They ask for a Canada quarantine place, so I just used the address of the Holiday Inn in Vancouver. The app also shows your QR code, so it’s easy to show at embarkation. Just as US Customs makes airlines verify testing for flights to the US before boarding, Canada is having the cruise lines verify ArriveCan and Canada testing requirements, to avoid chaos when thousands of passengers a day arrive in Victoria and Vancouver. So even if you don’t plan to get off in Victoria, you won’t sail without your ArriveCan QR code.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, electro said:

You will list your first port of entry into Canada, not the disembarkation port. For the Boston to Montreal cruise,  that will be Halifax. 

Electro, thank you for the clarification.  I'll be downloading PDF docs of the passport and vac. card onto the computer.  That's the best it's going to get for us!  Thank you so much for your help. 

4 hours ago, rj59 said:

I’ll be on Princess in Victoria on Friday. They’re checking ArriveCan QR codes before boarding. While you can use a web version, the app scans your passport info and uploads photos of your vaccine card. If you’re going to Victoria, put in Ogden Point as your first stop in Canada. They ask for a Canada quarantine place, so I just used the address of the Holiday Inn in Vancouver. The app also shows your QR code, so it’s easy to show at embarkation. Just as US Customs makes airlines verify testing for flights to the US before boarding, Canada is having the cruise lines verify ArriveCan and Canada testing requirements, to avoid chaos when thousands of passengers a day arrive in Victoria and Vancouver. So even if you don’t plan to get off in Victoria, you won’t sail without your ArriveCan QR code.

Thanks for the information, it makes sense to do it that way I suppose.  

5 hours ago, rj59 said:

I’ll be on Princess in Victoria on Friday. They’re checking ArriveCan QR codes before boarding...

Thanks. Some have raised the issue of whether pax departing Vancouver and disembarking in other countries, need to have ArrivCan.

You're coming in on the Grand and docking Vancouver on the 23rd. What is the itinerary departing Vancouver on the 23rd? Are there any instructions for B2B pax? Are there any instructions for pax joining in Vancouver and disembarking elsewhere?

7 hours ago, electro said:

That's correct. On Page 2 of ArrivCan online, they ask for "Port of entry (required)  Note: This is the first port of arrival in Canada"

The current app is much improved over last year. It looks idiot-proof. Just answer the questions in sequence.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:29 AM, gdy0354 said:

On 4/17/2022 at 8:29 AM, gdy0354 said:

We are taking a back-to-back cruise. 

Originates in Boston, 7 days cruise to Montreal. Then back to Boston on same ship. 14 days total but technically two separate cruises.

Does this ArriveCan come into play in this situation?

I believe HAL will re-covid test us at n/c while on the ship before returning to Boston.

I'm doing this exact same thing at the end of May and have the same question. I plan to complete the ArriveCan stuff before getting on the ship in Boston since that will be within the 72 hour window or arriving in a Canadian port. I was told that we will probably have to disembark in Montreal for a Covid test before we can continue on the second cruise. However, I'm wondering if there will be any other hoops we will need to jump through in Montreal before continuing.

ArriveCAN is easy.  Simply type in your passport details then a photo of your covid card.  Do that now.  Before you board your ship enter the boarding info.  For quarantine info find a motel where you are going and use that.  The passport and vaccination record is the important part.

I flew from San Diego to Vancouver for a cruise on Air Canada.  

Air Canada checked the ArriveCAN paperwork in San Diego.   In Vancouver, the Immigration official didn't ask for it - she said that my arriveCAN was linked to my passport and so they didn't need to see the arriveCAN paperwork.

They were doing 30pct random PCR test - but you didn't have to wait for the results.   We got them 36 hours later - not sure what would have happened if we were positive. 

• Thanks 2

Just completed my Pacific Coastal ArrivCAN and used the Holiday Inn, Vancouver as recommended earlier in this thread.  I tried to use staying onboard the cruise ship as I continued on to Alaska, returning home,  but only a Canadian address was acceptable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Just completed my Pacific Coastal ArrivCAN and used the Holiday Inn, Vancouver as recommended earlier in this thread.  I tried to use staying onboard the cruise ship as I continued on to Alaska, returning home,  but only a Canadian address was acceptable.

Interesting. On the HAL Livestream on Friday, the HAL ”Return to Service” Coordinator, Olivia, advised guests to use the ship as the quarantine location. 

Edited by 2inSETexas

6 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

Interesting. On the HAL Livestream on Friday, the HAL representative advised guests to use the ship as the quarantine location. 

What was the HAL livestream about and who was able to view? I still have questions about the ArriveCAN app that I haven’t been able to get answered. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

Interesting. On the HAL Livestream on Friday, the HAL ”Return to Service” Coordinator, Olivia, advised guests to use the ship as the quarantine location. 

You are to use the Canadian port address and your room # on the ship.  LINK

1162C8A6-5E33-4362-96FA-557651EB3FF1.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AryMay said:

What was the HAL livestream about and who was able to view? I still have questions about the ArriveCAN app that I haven’t been able to get answered. 

On Facebook on Friday. Hosted on Seth’s FB Page. He is the HAL ambassador. I’m not sure if it is available to those not on FB. If it is, here is the link:  https://www.facebook.com/SethonHAL/videos/432696018666676/

They did mention the ArriveCAN process in not intuitive (doesn’t surprise me - very few bureaucratic processes are designed with the end-user in mind), so they spent several minutes on the ArriveCAN app.

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

You are to use the Canadian port address and your room # on the ship.  LINK

1162C8A6-5E33-4362-96FA-557651EB3FF1.jpeg

Which the average person won't have any idea of.

This is what I got off the internet for Victoria:

Ogden Point

211 Dallas Rd

Victoria, BC

V8V 1A1 Canada

2 hours ago, 2inSETexas said:

It may be that she meant the address of the pier. Just do a test run on the app. See if it works.

The government just needs an address in case you have to isolate on return to Canada. Of course, its the responsibility of the cruise company to make an arrangement if you are infected.

For those living in/near Vancouver, we would provide the address of our homes.

I just noticed that in the Quarantine Plan information from the website, there is the secondary bullet point about arriving by cruise vessel. The point seems to be incomplete and doesn't specify what to input in the case of arriving by cruise vessel. Maybe I'm missing something.

image.thumb.png.7b3d96d07bc8e911568ad2604129cef2.png