Rhine cruise - Uniworld or AmaWaterways?

ak1004

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It would be quite easy to do Lucerne on your own.  We did the AMA post-cruise extension because it was early in our European cruising history and we don't speak German, but based on that trip and what I have since read here it would have been easy to take a train from Basel to Lucerne and then from Lucerne to either Zurich or the Zurich airport.  But AMA made the transfer from Lucerne to Zurich more interesting by including a lake cruise and a stop in Brunnen, and the next day after a walking tour of Zurich taking us to the Rhine Falls and Stein-am-Rhein.  And on the final day they had local guides who stayed with us through the Zurich airport and made sure we got on the right lines.  So I can't say the extra expense was wasted.

We are thinking to take the Uniworld cruise which doesn't have the extensions. It's 10 nights and we can do the extra 2 nights on our own (cannot leave elderly parents for too long). So we were thinking to fly to Zurich and do 2 nights in Zurich then take a train to Basel to embark. But now I think maybe spend the 2 nights in Lucerne instead of Zurich, although it means take two trains (from Zurich to Lucerne and then from Lucerne to Basel).

Decisions, decisions.. 

• Like 1

Just now, ak1004 said:

We are thinking to take the Uniworld cruise which doesn't have the extensions. It's 10 nights and we can do the extra 2 nights on our own (cannot leave elderly parents for too long). So we were thinking to fly to Zurich and do 2 nights in Zurich then take a train to Basel to embark. But now I think maybe spend the 2 nights in Lucerne instead of Zurich, although it means take two trains (from Zurich to Lucerne and then from Lucerne to Basel).

Decisions, decisions.. 

Since you're pressed for time, I would recommend you follow through on this idea.  Lucerne is both cuter and smaller than Zurich, so you will have time to fully appreciate it.  Save Zurich for another time.

@ak1004 the trains are pretty straightforward, the ticket machines are in English and as long as you allow plenty of time we found it easy. Just to tempt you further, Lucerne is simply

5259D9E8-2A3C-4C05-B915-86E1D6472F77.thumb.jpeg.1158b551227fe722c0146daa89fbdc17.jpeg

and we spent a whole day at Mt. Titlis which was also unforgettable:

B7688521-E932-4B3F-8122-B32F1E2464A4.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes, one day to walk around Lucerne itself; the second day for either Mt. Titlis or Mt. Pilatus.  That will feel like a real 'Swiss' experience to start your cruise.

And I can second the recommendations of the Rathaus Brauerei brewpub and Pfistern Restaurant (where we enjoyed the local specialty Fritschepastete – puff pastry filled with chunks of veal and pork, mushrooms, apples and raisins in gravy – that had been recommended by our local tour guide).

• Like 2

We took the train from Basel at cruise's end to Lucerne (about 1 hour)--ship had arranged for our cab to the station.  Stayed 2 nights in Lucerne then took the train from Lucerne to Zurich in order to fly home (also about a 1 hour ride).  There is a Swiss rail station in the bottom level of the Zurich air terminal.  

We even sent ahead unneeded luggage from the Basel station to the Zurich airport station, which we then picked up upon arrival.  The clerk at the luggage desk arranged for the luggage transfer, and all of our train tickets for both trips.  Easy, easy, easy!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

On their older ships, the French balcony slides open – my recollection is that it opens all the way.  On the dual-balcony ships, the French balcony also seems to open, but maybe not all the way [will find out next week when we board AmaSerena!].  Here's a picture from their website:

ship_23_twinbalconies_gallery.thumb.jpg.ac475e6cbd803bdf5bf3816e22924c34.jpg

Thank you for the feedback.  Let me know how your cruise went and how you liked your cabin. Cheer and Happy Easter

11 minutes ago, scottjeanne said:

We are on a Uniworld Rhine cruise that does have a Lucerne extension.  I found it quite reasonable also.

I assume you are referring to CASTLES ALONG THE RHINE sailing. We looked at this one as well, but for some reason, the pricing for 7 nights is the same as the pricing for 10 nights for the cruise we are looking at. Same dates (Sep.2023). Maybe because yours is on a newer ship, not sure, but still doesn't explain such big difference in price ($650 CAD per night vs $930 CAD per night).

Yes, we are on the Castles on the Rhine tour.  We had very little choice as this is a replacement for a Crystal cruise and we already had the Passion play booked as well as our airfare.  We looked at who sailed the  Rhine itinerary for a specific week.  I don't think it is one of the newer ships (we are on the Empress).  This is our first Uniworld cruise.

56 minutes ago, scottjeanne said:

Yes, we are on the Castles on the Rhine tour.  We had very little choice as this is a replacement for a Crystal cruise and we already had the Passion play booked as well as our airfare.  We looked at who sailed the  Rhine itinerary for a specific week.  I don't think it is one of the newer ships (we are on the Empress).  This is our first Uniworld cruise.

Interesting.. their website shows that this cruise is on S.S. Antoinette - https://www.uniworld.com/ca/river-cruise/central-europe/rhine/castles-along-the-rhine/2023-basel-to-amsterdam/ship-details

SaturdayJULY 2, 2022

Amsterdam to Basel

from
$3,999

SaturdayJULY 2, 2022 toSaturdayJuly 9, 2022

SUITE Rhine Deck
Sold Out
$7,199
FRENCH BALCONY Rhine Deck
Sold Out
$5,199
DELUXE Danube Deck

$4,699
CLASSIC Moselle Deck

$3,999

Prices exclude additional port charges of $200 per person.

Book early for the best pricing and availability.

1-800-257-2407

AVAILABLE OFFERS

2022 River Heritage Club Savings
River Heritage Club members save $150 on this sailing.
View Terms

CRUISE THEME

Generations
Our Generations Program features exclusive activities for kids from 4 to 17 years old and includes dedicated Family Hosts. Enjoy the same industry-leading service and accommodations that you always expect from Uniworld, with additional programs, events and excursions for your travelers in training.
Learn more

2, 2022

Amsterdam to Basel

from
$3,999

SaturdayJuly 9, 2022

SUITE Rhine Deck
Sold Out
$7,199
FRENCH BALCONY Rhine Deck
Sold Out
$5,199
DELUXE Danube Deck

$4,699
CLASSIC Moselle Deck

$3,999

Prices exclude additional port charges of $200 per person.

SHIP

AVAILABLE OFFERS

2022 River Heritage Club Savings
River Heritage Club members save $150 on this sailing.
View Terms

CRUISE THEME

Generations
Our Generations Program features exclusive activities for kids from 4 to 17 years old and includes dedicated Family Hosts. Enjoy the same industry-leading service and accommodations that you always expect from Uniworld, with additional programs, events and excursions for your travelers in training.
Learn more

57 minutes ago, scottjeanne said:

It is the River Empress.  This itinerary shows three different ships they use.

Got it. I was looking at specific sailings in 2023, and they all showed S.S. Antoinette, but now I see that in 2023 they use three different ships as well, and the pricing is pretty similar on all three ships. So the question still remains why this 7 nights cruise is priced almost the same (for some dates exactly the same) as the 10 nights cruise I'm looking at.

7 nights (all prices are in CAD):

image.png.cdfb0a8b0352f27e089750cd56f7e004.png

10 nights:

image.png.3958795b4eb6da063928f28814004cf3.png

When something is priced significantly cheaper than comparable products, I'm always trying to understand why? Is there any catch? Everything has a reason. Maybe the reason doesn't matter to me, but what if it does?

• 10 months later...

Hello everyone.

I'm reviving this topic to seek for additional feedback from members.

We are now booked on this 10 nights Uniworld cruise on Sep.2-12 - https://www.uniworld.com/ca/river-cruise/central-europe/rhine/remarkable-rhine-and-historic-holland/2023-amsterdam-to-basel

The cruise starts in Basel with overnight.

We arrive in Zurich on Aug.31 for 2 nights. Should we book an hotel in Zurich, spend the first evening in Zurich, then on Sep.1 take a train to Lucerne, spend the whole day in Lucerne, then on Sep.2 take a train to Basel for embarkation? Or book an hotel for 2 nights in Lucerne? Ideally we would like to get a general impression of both Zurich and Lucerne (and I realize it's not enough time but still).

We are travelling with carry on only, so luggage is not an issue.

Edited by ak1004

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Hello everyone.

I'm reviving this topic to seek for additional feedback from members.

We are now booked on this 10 nights Uniworld cruise on Sep.2-12 - https://www.uniworld.com/ca/river-cruise/central-europe/rhine/remarkable-rhine-and-historic-holland/2023-amsterdam-to-basel

The cruise starts in Basel with overnight.

We arrive in Zurich on Aug.31 for 2 nights. Should we book an hotel in Zurich, spend the first evening in Zurich, then on Sep.1 take a train to Lucerne, spend the whole day in Lucerne, then on Sep.2 take a train to Basel for embarkation? Or book an hotel for 2 nights in Lucerne? Ideally we would like to get a general impression of both Zurich and Lucerne (and I realize it's not enough time but still).

Personally, I would go straight to Lucerne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1