Amsterdam Trains

I would like to take the tram from the Amsterdam port to Central Station and the train from Central Station to Schipol Airport.  Is there one ticket that will cover both segments of this trip or do I need to purchase two different tickets?

Trains and trams are operated by 2 different companies. If these are the only 2 public transport journeys you will make, then buying separate tickets works out cheapest. If you plan to take more public transport trips, then the Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket is an option https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport/amsterdam-region-travel-ticket

• Like 1

Dutch_Travelgirl,

We will be arriving at Schiphol airport and thinking of taking the train to the RAI stop near our hotel. Will we easily manage our luggage (need an elevator)to get to the train or should we take a taxi to avoid escalators?

Any other transport suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 hours ago, cruiserjoe315 said:

Will we easily manage our luggage (need an elevator)to get to the train or should we take a taxi to avoid escalators?

There are elevators as well as escalators at both Schipol and Amsterdam RAI. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

I last cruised out of AMS 4 years ago and it was a nightmare to get out of the port when we returned. It took hours of waiting and every uber we called cancelled as it took 40 minutes for them to get from the road to the port parking lot due to backups. Does anyone know if it has improved or do I have the same thing to fear heading to our june cruise out of AMS? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Shiamita said:

Hi everyone,

I last cruised out of AMS 4 years ago and it was a nightmare to get out of the port when we returned. It took hours of waiting and every uber we called cancelled as it took 40 minutes for them to get from the road to the port parking lot due to backups. Does anyone know if it has improved or do I have the same thing to fear heading to our june cruise out of AMS? Thanks!

Was the port in AMS the PTA at the Piet Heinkade? Or a commercial terminal? And do you know where you wish to go from the port? If your luggage or legs do not cause a problem you could walk to the Central Station city side and continue your voyage from there by train, tram, subway. Or reserve a cab beforehand or a transfer with your cruise company.  Or wait a while till all passengers arrive in taxi's for embarkation.  Just suggestions as I donot have enough information. 

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Was the port in AMS the PTA at the Piet Heinkade? Or a commercial terminal? And do you know where you wish to go from the port? If your luggage or legs do not cause a problem you could walk to the Central Station city side and continue your voyage from there by train, tram, subway. Or reserve a cab beforehand or a transfer with your cruise company.  Or wait a while till all passengers arrive in taxi's for embarkation.  Just suggestions as I donot have enough information. 

Sorry it was 4 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. I was on HAL Niew Amsterdam and It did not look like the cruise terminal that we checked in at but rather a large parking lot that lead to the main street. When we got off the ship around 9:00am there were hundreds of people standing around stranded. The line for a taxi was 100 people long and only had a taxi coming around every 10 minutes. I tried to book an uber for my family, and they were cancelled on me 10+ times. It seemed that a bus was broken down or road construction causing the road that lead into where the taxi line was to become a one lane road. I think I am just wondering if people have had to wait a long time getting off the ship when returning for a taxi or any transportation. We will have many bags with us as it is a long cruise and we are staying with friends for a week before and after the cruise. We are happy to take public transit, from memory it seemed a long walk away. I am trying to plan a lunch with work colleagues that day and trying to gauge how long it may take to get to Amsterdam Centraal since the office is 30 min by bus from there.

13 minutes ago, Shiamita said:

We will have many bags with us as it is a long cruise and we are staying with friends for a week before and after the cruise. We are happy to take public transit, from memory it seemed a long walk away. I am trying to plan a lunch with work colleagues that day and trying to gauge how long it may take to get to Amsterdam Centraal since the office is 30 min by bus from there.

Maybe you left the ship 4 years ago in IJmuiden? That is quite a distance from Amsterdam. From the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam to Central Station (river side) is less than a 15 minutes walk. The centre of the city side a few minutes more. Here you will find kiosks to buy bustickets etc. (schedules at www.9292.nl) .   See this link too:  https://www.amsterdamtips.com/amsterdam-cruise-ship 

Enjoy your stay in The Netherlands.

amsterdam cruise port terminal map

When Amsterdam cruise terminal is busy, ships from time to time had to dock in the western part of town. Indeed a commercial area with bad public transport and cab connections. It might have been the case on your cruise. Or indeed some ships donot sail all the way to Amsterdam but only to IJmuiden, 

In general ships dock near the center at Piet Heinkade. You can check where your ship docks in Amsterdam on this website. https://sea.cruiseportamsterdam.com/

• Like 1

@MAVIP We are sailing on HAL Rotterdam in September and I notice that the debarkation is listed as taking place at "Waterland Terminal".  Is this the remote location mentioned above?

Any advice on getting from there to AMS Schiphol?  Our flight is at 3.30pm so plenty of time, but walking is a problem for DW.

59 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

@MAVIP We are sailing on HAL Rotterdam in September and I notice that the debarkation is listed as taking place at "Waterland Terminal".  Is this the remote location mentioned above?

Any advice on getting from there to AMS Schiphol?  Our flight is at 3.30pm so plenty of time, but walking is a problem for DW.

Seems to be West yes. Arrange private transport or cruise line transfer.

18 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Maybe you left the ship 4 years ago in IJmuiden? That is quite a distance from Amsterdam.

Sounds like Westelijk Havengebied or IJmuiden. Can't recall what was going on with Nieuw Amsterdam at that time. But both are equally bad in ways of transport. IJmuiden might have a slightly better connection to public transport (busses..) but a taxi from the West havens will surely beat IJmuiden by bus. :classic_cool:

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Indeed this is the commercial dock west of the center in Amsterdam. Better arrange a cab or take the transfer offered by HAL. It is a bit closer to Schiphol airport then center. check location this on google maps. https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Waterland+Terminal+B.V./@52.4146713,4.7919515,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47c5e33d316d2b45:0xd0642aa15fbabb57!8m2!3d52.4146158!4d4.809488?hl=nl

Edited by Ine
  • Thanks 1

FreestyleNovice

Sounds like Westelijk Havengebied or IJmuiden. Can't recall what was going on with Nieuw Amsterdam at that time. But both are equally bad in ways of transport. IJmuiden might have a slightly better connection to public transport (busses..) but a taxi from the West havens will surely beat IJmuiden by bus. :classic_cool:

Hello VMAx1700. That must be the sailing of the Rotterdam of September 11th, because that is the September sailing where the Port of Amsterdam mentions Waterland Terminal. Public transport from the Waterland Terminal will absolutely cause quite a problem for DW (I hope she recovered as good as possible?) because from the address of the terminal to a busstop is a 18 minutes walk if HAL does not offer a shuttle to f.e. the Sloterdijk railway station. 

This website is the most actual one of Port of Amsterdam, but I could not find here ore elsewhere which facilities are offered for  embarking or disembarking passengers at the Waterland Terminal.  And we always embarked and disembarked at PTA in the centre of Amsterdam (or Rotterdam of course, for usw much easier....)  https://sea.cruiseportamsterdam.com/  

• Thanks 1

@FreestyleNovice @Ine @MAVIP

Thanks for the replies!

Even google maps does not access close to the 'terminal' if there is one.  Google images does show Nieuw Statendam moored with a few marquees beside it.  

I wonder if HAL will offer a shuttle to ....? anywhere!!   I see on the CPA website that Rotterdam is also docking at Waterland Terminal on June 19th and June 26th as Celebrity Apex is taking up the main terminal.  Hopefully by then it will be clear what facilities are available and if HAL is offering a shuttle.

Again, thanks for the insight! 

Thanks for the replies!

Even google maps does not access close to the 'terminal' if there is one.  Google images does show Nieuw Statendam moored with a few marquees beside it.  

I wonder if HAL will offer a shuttle to ....? anywhere!!   I see on the CPA website that Rotterdam is also docking at Waterland Terminal on June 19th and June 26th as Celebrity Apex is taking up the main terminal.  Hopefully by then it will be clear what facilities are available and if HAL is offering a shuttle.

I don't think that there is a terminal. This is basically a cargo dock, that seems to be used for overflow passenger traffic.

https://myport.portofamsterdam.com/en/portle/company/vck-logistics-waterland-terminal

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k11528568-Waterland_Terminal-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for the replies!

If I am at home in that period, I will ask Vrienden van Holland America at Facebook in NL what were the possibilities to travel to a central point in town offered by HAL or port. But HAL should have an answer by now too, isn't it?

• Thanks 1

Try to use the search function of Google maps by putting in Waterland terminal Amsterdam. This terminal is situated more or less north of Slotedrijk trainstation. The place does not offer many (if any) facilities compared with the cruise terminal near town. It is used from time to time as the cruise terminal cannot handle 2 ships if both of them have passengers ending their cruise and others are checking in for the next cruise. Only if  one of the ships is a stop on an itinary they can have 2 ships.

I am sure HAL will offer a shuttle to the airport and probably one to Amsterdam Sloterdijk station. As far as I remember they did that in the past . However depending your departure time at the airport it might be better to arrange private transportation. 

Edited by Ine
  • Thanks 1