Complimentary credit card insurance

5 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

i have noticed that some shops are asking for cash only now.

the nail salon and a couple of other shops in my area are now cash only.

given I used to work for the ATO I can only think that a lot of this cash is not being returned as income.!   Can’t help my background.

I am happy to pay a little more.  My hairdresser charges a credit card fee but that is usually less than $1.

Eileen

Cash only = Tax dodgers. Down here we get many people from Canberra inc ATO workers. Suffice to say more than a couple of businesses have been caught for defrauding the Commonwealth including one fish and chip shop that has been demanding cash only for years.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

i have noticed that some shops are asking for cash only now.

the nail salon and a couple of other shops in my area are now cash only.

given I used to work for the ATO I can only think that a lot of this cash is not being returned as income.!   Can’t help my background.

I am happy to pay a little more.  My hairdresser charges a credit card fee but that is usually less than $1.

Eileen

It's not that I mind paying a bit more. However I believe card fees are just another cost of doing business so should be built into prices, not added on when paying.

It's particularly annoying at hotels where I'm sure very few people pay in cash. Up the room rate by 2% or so instead. It would be highly unlikely anyone would notice it, especially as these days many hotels have differing room rates for different days of the week, and different times of the year. 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I prefer to pay by cash as much as possible.

I don’t usually pay by credit card if an extra fee is charged as they also charge the shopkeeper - double dipping!  

I see the extra charge as the shopkeeper covering the amount they will be charged.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I see the extra charge as the shopkeeper covering the amount they will be charged.

Yes that is often the case.  I agree with lady at market who said if we dont use cash it won’t be long before cash use will be unacceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, schoonslawn said:

Does anyone know if the ANZ complimentary travel insurance covers river cruises.

It would cover river cruises. The only time we had to claim under the ANZ credit card insurance was for a theft that occurred while we travelling in Europe in a hired motorhome. There is no exclusion regarding river cruises.

27 minutes ago, Brisbane47 said:

With the complimentary travel insurance from a bank (ANZ in our case) do you have to advise the bank before you travel? Our first cruise is Aug, only 3 days. Presumably insurance is not mandatory.

With some (including ANZ) the answer is no but with the Commonwealth I seem to remember that you have to advise them. If you have paid at least $250 of the cost of the your three-day cruise on your eligible credit card, then you have the travel insurance.

17 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our first cruise is Aug, only 3 days. Presumably insurance is not mandatory.

You should not go on a cruise, however short, without travel insurance. Doesn't matter if you are otherwise healthy. What if you slip on a pitching deck and break a bone? You are not covered by Medicare and ship's medical services are expensive. If you have to be evacuated from the ship for a medical reason, it will cost you thousands. You can get travel insurance for a very short cruise for maybe $A50 per person.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiser3775 said:

You should not go on a cruise, however short, without travel insurance. Doesn't matter if you are otherwise healthy. What if you slip on a pitching deck and break a bone? You are not covered by Medicare and ship's medical services are expensive. If you have to be evacuated from the ship for a medical reason, it will cost you thousands. You can get travel insurance for a very short cruise for maybe $A50 per person.

I agree with you that travel insurance is definitely advisable. We took my mother-in-law with us on 13 overseas trip: several of those were cruises. She absolutely would not pay for insurance so we relied on the complimentary credit card travel insurance until she reached their age limit. She still wanted to keep cruising with us, but we felt the risk was too high, particularly for someone aged 81 who suffered from some health conditions.

However, I do know some people who have chosen to 'self-insure', in other words, not buy insurance because it would be very expensive due to pre-existing conditions. These conditions weren't ones that would cause them to be evacuated from the ship. They knew the risk of a large expense if they had to be evacuated from the ship, but they chose to take it.

4 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Very true. Adage has always been “if you can’t afford travel insurance you can’t afford to travel”. First glance it’s true it’s not cheap. From memory I think you (austraveller) is in upper age? I’ve done quick quote and fully comp would be $200 fully comp with cruise cover. Interesting our cover for the four B2B is $382 for us both with one of us being 83! So we felt that was reasonable 

2 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Very true. Adage has always been “if you can’t afford travel insurance you can’t afford to travel”. First glance it’s true it’s not cheap. From memory I think you (austraveller) is in upper age? I’ve done quick quote and fully comp would be $200 fully comp with cruise cover. Interesting our cover for the four B2B is $382 for us both with one of us being 83! So we felt that was reasonable 

Yes. I am in my 70s and my husband is nearly 80. If we couldn't get the complimentary credit card travel insurance, we would buy a policy. We had already checked prices because we thought our CC insurance cut out if Peter was 80 at the time of the trip. We then found out that he is covered as long as the trip is booked before his 81st birthday. We are OK for more than another year before we look at buying insurance and then it may cost less if we buy a single insurance policy, leaving me to use the CC insurance.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. I am in my 70s and my husband is nearly 80. If we couldn't get the complimentary credit card travel insurance, we would buy a policy. We had already checked prices because we thought our CC insurance cut out if Peter was 80 at the time of the trip. We then found out that he is covered as long as the trip is booked before his 81st birthday. We are OK for more than another year before we look at buying insurance and then it may cost less if we buy a single insurance policy, leaving me to use the CC insurance.

That is true, same here. Click ticked over 11.59pm on night before hubbys bday. We will check out fir future travel using cc fir me and buying one for him, however our westpac cc insurance is currently not operating re covid

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Am I right in saying Complimentary Credit Card Insurance doesn’t include domestic travel or domestic cruises. 

Westpac  Altitude is the one of most interest.

There have been recent changes to cc insurance - some are now offering to cover domestic. Have a look at the full product disclosure booklet to check whether your particular one covers what you're looking for.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Am I right in saying Complimentary Credit Card Insurance doesn’t include domestic travel or domestic cruises. 

Westpac  Altitude is the one of most interest.

ANZ Platinum or Black cards cover Domestic travel and also domestic cruises. As well as International You have to spend $250 on the card before your trip for it to activate.

But read the PDS to make sure it is right for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stki said:

ANZ Platinum or Black cards cover Domestic travel and also domestic cruises. As well as International You have to spend $250 on the card before your trip for it to activate.

But read the PDS to make sure it is right for you

Yes, we make use of ANZ credit card travel insurance. Earlier this year, we made our first claim and it was a positive experience. 

• Like 2