Revolting Pier Runner Videos

atexsix

I have no compassion for people who miss the ship because of their ignorance but I would never cheer their missing the ship, that's pretty crass. 

On one of our first cruises 40 years ago we had a couple that were late for the ship not once but twice in St.Thomas and St. Maarten, they were brought out to the ship by a pilot boat and both times had to climb up a rope ladder, many of us were out on the promenade deck taking it all in while shaking our heads but there was no jeering.

On a cruise with Princess about 12-13 years ago we had a couple who were late getting back to the ship and will never forget the Captain on the loudspeaker who was very upset and berated them and called their tardiness a debacle, can't remember the Captain's name but he was British and we had sailed with him previously.

13 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Even if the people aren't on a ship tour, I've seen ships wait up to about 30 minutes for the late arrivals. Since they ask you to be on board 30 minutes before sail away, so you are one hour late, you deserve to be mocked. Maybe you won't do it again. Most of the time it's not because of a tour, but just shopping too long. No excuse.

The ship may have been waiting because a ship's tour was not yet back, and the others who were late just got lucky that that was the situation.

• Like 1

In 2018 I organized a self-guided excursion to the Chapelle du Rosaire (the Matisse chapel) at Vence, inland from Cannes. One of our group had experience driving in France and we had rented a car. We were running slightly late and two in our group feared that we'd miss the ship. We we going to be two or three minutes late.

Cannes is a tender port and I was certain that when we arrived at the dock, we'd find hundreds of people lined up. It was closer to a thousand and we simply joined the line -- they don't stop tendering while passengers are still in line. That wouldn't work at a port where the ship docked.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, FlyingCruiser2 said:

We were told by the Concierge that the ship would have left had we not been in the PS, but I'm not sure that was really the case.

So - it can happen.

Curious .. what does "in the PS" mean?

14 hours ago, F27TW said:

Curious .. what does "in the PS" mean?

Sorry - we were staying in the Pinnacle Suite on that vacation.  Ruined cruising for us as now that's the only way we want to go and we can't afford to do that as often.

Edited by FlyingCruiser2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

Sorry - we were staying in the Pinnacle Suite on that vacation.  Ruined cruising for us as now that's the only way we want to go and we can't afford to do that as often.

Yes .. i'd think that would sure be a tough act to follow ! 

Long ago we were on a ship’s tour at Grand Turk and the tour operator brought all of us 30 or so people back about 30 minutes late. The ship was still docked but the motors were running and staff obviously wanted everyone to get aboard quick! Well it’s a long walk down that pier but my partner and I did hurry and jog just wanting to get ahead of the other folks on our tour. Shameful but we didn’t want to be last and we ran ahead of those with mobility issues, just not wanting to be last. Lots of folks hanging off the ship’s balconies, but they were cheering and encouraging, not mocking. It made for a funny story all these years later, about that one time we were the pier runners 😄

If an excursion is booked through HAL, no worries. Book everything through HAL, and buy the premium insurance. HAL takes good care of it's own, and has saved me more than once. Only time I almost 'missed the boat' was my own fault and had nothing to do with HAL: I was in town on my own and stayed too long in a bar. DH was very late coming back from an excursion once and the ship waited. Why? He was on a HAL-booked excursion.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:52 PM, quack2 said:

Perhaps I shouldn't admit that I often position myself on the ship near departure time in order to watch the pier runners.  Shame on me.

We do that too.  We nearly always grab a drink and go watch for the runners.  Great fun. No shame involved.

• Like 2

I've been sailing since the 1970's - the ships were smaller, fewer passengers& certainly more considerate of others,  the Captains were straight shooters.....

Several times there were late comers & everyone onboard the top decks would root & cheer for them - most times the captains would send a pilot boat or bring the ship close enough to get the late comers onboard.

it was also a known entity that the best line in that situation was the Italian Line - especially if the late comers were pretty young ladies - they were rescued & regaled once onboard.....

Today I say leave em...the OP says he's upset by the video - what about the thousands of passengers & crew onboard....

• Like 1

Seven folks liked the OP's rant - what a bunch of killjoys.  Schadenfreude is the very core of Hollywood entertainment, including one of the best sitcoms ever - Seinfeld.  But I guess you all don't like that either...

On 4/13/2022 at 11:22 AM, RuthC said:

Actually, the ship can sail without the captain, as there is another officer capable of being in charge of the ship. 
The ship can't sail without the doctor. 

Actually, I think the ship can sail without the Doctor.  There's usually a crew Doctor who can meet the requirement.  They can't however, sail without the pilot, and I've had some tense waits for a pilot.

Roy