Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

5 minutes ago, Forecheck said:

This is True

Indeed.  Unlike an antigen test, which looks for proteins resulting from an active virus, the PCR test is looking for genetic material of COVID itself, and the test can't tell bits and pieces of dead virus from live ones, and those can linger for quite some time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know cruisers are trying to balance being safe and enjoying themselves.  We are on board now and wear our masks in busy areas like on deck 5 shops and coffee shops, elevators, theatre or anywhere alot of people congregate.  We are not as social as we might be normally.  But we are really enjoying the cruise.  Luminae table spacing is great.  And we are lucky the ship is only 40% populated.  Crew is constantly cleaning rails, surfaces public areas.  More than I've ever seen previously.  Just like at home, you make personal decisions about being careful and steps you wish to take and adjust as needed.   

Good luck to those continuing on to new places and those who are going home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

David, as I recall you said the ship was only performing  PCR tests  on you.  Since you are symptom free and past 5 days, it might give you more confident if you could obtain/take an Antigen test.  Let’s hope Steven can also become symptom free.  I believe it is accepted as a fact that a PCR test after you are symptom free and five days after you first positive (or a indication  of your first symptoms) can result in a false positive for many weeks and even months. 

It might be a worthwhile investment if the ship as any Antigen test that you can purchase. You might gain some confidence with a negative Antigen test result.  

Although you have unfortunately been burdened with this situation, your  reporting and attitude is refreshing and commendable.  I wish you and Steven an easy transition home.  You certainly deserve one.

No the retests are antigen. Medical is well aware PCR tests can be positive for 90 days.

Unfortunately my 5 day antigen retest was positive so I spent the balance of my Silhouette cruise in jail. I tested at home 10 days after my first positive (SIL wanted to go out to lunch) and I was still positive.

8 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

No the retests are antigen. Medical is well aware PCR tests can be positive for 90 days.

Unfortunately my 5 day antigen retest was positive so I spent the balance of my Silhouette cruise in jail. I tested at home 10 days after my first positive (SIL wanted to go out to lunch) and I was still positive.

Want to add that SIL was bringing a friend who has MS.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 2:27 PM, jetblue said:

No idea, the captain has been very silent on that topic, there's definitely at least a handful of rooms occupied down here on deck 3.

What is he supposed to do? Yell? - "Hello, cruisers, the shmovid has arrived!!!  Attention, attention, it has finally here!  Please great her with all your respect!"  On a serious note, captain Costas is has a very reserved nature (I personally know him from my 2 previous cruises with him).

Edited by kirtihk

On 4/13/2022 at 2:27 PM, jetblue said:

No idea, the captain has been very silent on that topic, there's definitely at least a handful of rooms occupied down here on deck 3.

What is he supposed to do? Yell? - "Hello, cruisers, the shmovid has arrived!!!  Attention, attention, it has finally here!  Please great her with all your respect!"  On a serious note, captain Costas has a very reserved nature (I personally know him from my 2 previous cruises with him).

Edited by kirtihk

50 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

What is he supposed to do? Yell? - "Hello, cruisers, the shmovid has arrived!!!  Attention, attention, it has finally here!  Please great her with all your respect!"  On a serious note, captain Costas has a very reserved nature (I personally know him from my 2 previous cruises with him).

I've taken 5 cruises since the pandemic and 4/5 Captain's all gave daily updates including the exact amount of covid cases onboard. I'll give you 1 guess on who the silent captain was... But thanks so much for your input, it was so helpful and constructive in this conversation!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

Moving on to quarantine cruisine. Evening chic night upstairs, but downstairs tonight, slipper chic has finally arrived! Yes, I did take my Retreat slippers with me and yes I did wear them for tonight's event. And surprise! It was lobster night again! 2 nights in one cruise, can't beat it!

PXL_20220419_191425250_MP.thumb.jpg.8b9726565abda6424ea6fa0e82151bb9.jpg

Yellow Beet Risotto

PXL_20220419_183821681.thumb.jpg.50aada00dc95345e3a944103f07c55d3.jpg

Butter poached lobster

PXL_20220419_184520270.thumb.jpg.de507090fe1be7b6e3601ea8a335b9d9.jpg

Chocolate bar

PXL_20220419_185518170.thumb.jpg.d4715a03719488e87ffa7e2c9122d45a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, jetblue said:

I've taken 5 cruises since the pandemic and 4/5 Captain's all gave daily updates including the exact amount of covid cases onboard. I'll give you 1 guess on who the silent captain was... But thanks so much for your input, it was so helpful and constructive in this conversation!

Thankfully most of the people who have chimed in here have followed your lead in conducting themselves with civility and respect... I'm impressed with your positive attitude throughout this stream, both in how you've reacted to your situation, and in the way you deftly respond to others who may not share your tact. I sincerely hope you and Steven get a redo down the road, and that the rest of your travel adventures go smoothly for your trip home - thanks for bringing us along and sharing so much info! 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Forecheck said:

were told they could still show a 'positive' test for up to 90 days!  If they were not symptomatic after 5 days they could go about their usual schedule.  Maybe ask the medical team why this should be any different for you re isolation?

I agree with asking about this. I am an RN and that is corporate policy for us. We return to work with no repeat test. 
I have not understood the cruise lines rational for 10 days isolation. 

• Like 6

I’m currently on The Reflection TA so have been following this closely. We asked where positive pax go and they told us deck 3. We’re being less social than we usually would be and erring on the side of caution through the cruise so thanks for the detailed reports B6 pilot 🙂 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sibsie said:

I’m currently on The Reflection TA so have been following this closely. We asked where positive pax go and they told us deck 3. We’re being less social than we usually would be and erring on the side of caution through the cruise so thanks for the detailed reports B6 pilot 🙂 

I hope you have a wonderful crossing! Stay safe and enjoy!

4 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Best wishes, and thanks, to @jetblue.

Just a thought on "why Deck 3?":

Seems obvious to me that closer to medical, and relatively concentrated, can mean less time to attend patients than it would take for the med staff to go throughout the ship to dozens of scattered cabins. Closer also means a faster response if needed. Food deliveries, too.

Furthermore, seems X wants everybody else to be able to enjoy their cruise as much as possible. I think that someone mentioned the cleaning being done while wearing protective gear. Would everyone be very comfortable seeing these crews wandering seemingly at random through all decks? 

It is unfortunate that the OP and others suffer not only the effects of the infection, but also such inconvenience, displacement, and disappointment. But with crew members also sick, allowances have to be made for trying to keep the ship running as efficiently as possible, including treatment of quarantined pax. Gathering them relatively close together seems smart.

I was on the Silhouette sailing prior to this transatlantic. Captain George also announced >1% infections on that sailing but we got the impression that a significant portion was crew as we met a few saying they were just getting out after 10 days in isolation.  As concierge class, we were invited to deck 6 for a sail away on the helipad.  Staff was posted to make sure we only went back to the elevators and did not wander on deck 6.   I noticed that the forward elevators had decks 2 and 3 disabled from service.  Perhaps another reason for using deck 3.

Mike in Ohio

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Same here.  7 cruises, only on the Summit in March was the Captain silent.  Apex and Edge announced everyday.  

They seemed to change from announcing exact numbers to only approximate percentages in January.  I suspect it was something to do with the change from the original CDC conditional sail order and the requirements of the new optional instructions which took effect in mid January.

2 hours ago, jetblue said:

Three cheers for @jetblueand thumbs down for @kirtihk  Glad you became BFF’s in 2 cruises. I can only imagine he doesn’t even remember your name. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Your reporting has been so helpful and your positive attitude has been amazing. Wishing you and your husband safe travels home. Fingers crossed that you both test negative and that there are no more obstacles in getting home.

• Like 6

@jetbluethank you for sharing your quarantine experience!  My husband and I will be on the 4 June Silhouette Iceland/Ireland sailing and really appreciate knowing real time facts and issues about being quarantined.  I also applaud your positive attitude in a difficult situation.  Wishing you and your husband speedy recoveries with no lasting side effects and safe travels home.

Edited by OUBaylor1
  • Like 3