Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

1 hour ago, jetblue said:

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will ask the doctor about the certificate of recovery in the morning and hope for the best. Almost dinner time here on the Silhouette. Maybe I should put my formals on tonight...

You are just TOO well adjusted....and funny as well!  Do you put such a good face on all the tricks and turns in life??  must be a pleasure to live with.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

They do not ship there tests to Europe.

Key question., and  X do not have an answer ( phoned them).

How to proceed with home use tests from germany? 

Or do we have to go to a US test center and pay the horrendous  price?

Edited by MarkusToe

5 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

You are just TOO well adjusted....and funny as well!  Do you put such a good face on all the tricks and turns in life??  must be a pleasure to live with.

Hahaha well thank you, I'll let my husband comment on that, although I will say it drives him crazy how calm and level headed I am while he's panicking.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, jetblue said:

Hahaha well thank you, I'll let my husband comment on that, although I will say it drives him crazy how calm and level headed I am while he's panicking.

Opposites and all that.....balance in a relationship is what keeps it sane and happy....so I'm told.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

So sorry that you and your husband are quarantined.  I may have missed a post or two, but curious if you are now together in your suite since you are both ill?

No, you are not allowed to quarantine in your original room. We are both in an Oceanview cabin together on deck 3.

4 hours ago, champagnecruiser said:

Not sure if this will help but found this on CDC site.

image.thumb.jpeg.b2303fc8e3a3679a61ebb9308d091f0c.jpeg

So they are "following" all but the ones they don't want to....

Nice......  I hope that someone from X is actually reading this thread...... this is horrible press for them...amidst 2 years of bad cruise press...  you would think they would be smarter....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jetblue, I greatly appreciate your posting about your "adventure" with testing positive.  That has made me decide to cancel my 52-nights on the Edge next year.  I could not handle being yanked out of a suite and put in jail.  Not to mention the possibility of being put off the ship in some very distant foreign country and then having to figure out how to get home.

I admire the way you are handling this.  Best wishes to you and your husband.  I hope you are able to enjoy a few relaxing days in London before returning home.

Like you we also decided to cancel our 52 day cruise on the next Edge next year as well.  There were just too many risks and consequences for us for a cruise of this length.  As painful as it was I think we made the correct decision. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, asnaleah said:

So, if testing is also being done for influenza, are positive passengers also quarantined?

They should be seeing as it is a virus that is spread from person to person in the same manner as Covid (just not as contagious).

1 hour ago, jetblue said:

Calm and level headed--that's what I want in the pilot flying my plane!  Way to go.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jetblue, I greatly appreciate your posting about your "adventure" with testing positive.  That has made me decide to cancel my 52-nights on the Edge next year.  I could not handle being yanked out of a suite and put in jail.  Not to mention the possibility of being put off the ship in some very distant foreign country and then having to figure out how to get home.

I admire the way you are handling this.  Best wishes to you and your husband.  I hope you are able to enjoy a few relaxing days in London before returning home.

Cancelling for next year already? That seems a bit soon, unless of course you just want to have time to make other plans for a different kind of vacation. I figure I'll wait and see what happens with Celebrity's policies into the new year and decide at that point. My cruises are next May so final payment due in February. I have some land-based trip itineraries in mind as a back up that should be relatively easy to throw together if the cruise doesn't work out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

So they are "following" all but the ones they don't want to....

Nice......  I hope that someone from X is actually reading this thread...... this is horrible press for them...amidst 2 years of bad cruise press...  you would think they would be smarter....

I think I'd be more upset at the cruise line putting people in quarantine rooms with clogged toilets and not feeding them.  Aside from being in an OV cabin, it seems X has handled JetBlue's quarantine fairly well.  I hope everyone else has had a similar experience.

Yes, it's bad that his quarantine room isn't a balcony cabin, but people on other X ships said they were quarantined in a balcony cabin, so maybe it's a ship by ship decision. I'd be very disappointed, but would take some comfort in the refund of the cruise fare for the quarantined days.

As for bad press, who outside those of us on CC are really following what happens in quarantine?

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, hiccups said:

I think I'd be more upset at the cruise line putting people in quarantine rooms with clogged toilets and not feeding them.  Aside from being in an OV cabin, it seems X has handled JetBlue's quarantine fairly well.  I hope everyone else has had a similar experience.

Yes, it's bad that his quarantine room isn't a balcony cabin, but people on other X ships said they were quarantined in a balcony cabin, so maybe it's a ship by ship decision. I'd be very disappointed, but would take some comfort in the refund of the cruise fare for the quarantined days.

As for bad press, who outside those of us on CC are really following what happens in quarantine?

I agree, I am not sure what more people want them to do.  Everyone also needs to be aware that as the ships begin to get closer to full occupancy I doubt there are going to be many cabins for quarantining.  Which if you sail in a balcony or better is probably not an issue but those in inside/outside staterooms may be confined to their own cabin.  I wonder what people will say then?  I also think if you do not like how this is being handled then you have the choice to not cruise with Celebrity. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jetblue said:

No, you are not allowed to quarantine in your original room. We are both in an Oceanview cabin together on deck 3.

At least  I assumr it has some type of inoperable  window to let light in, and let you look out.   If I was in an inside with no time outside of my room,  I would  feel very confined.

This possibility is why we ONLY booked a 5 day cruise on Beyond. Rt Florida.  If we need to be  confined, we would want to get out of there asap...get our car and drive away.  We hear that many drs and hosp in  Fla  now have treatment meds available.

So what happens next,,more testing? For how long?

11 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

It was in 2018.  We were on Solstice on a 16-night Australia-New Zealand cruise when DH was diagnosed with flu.  This was in March, and he had had his annual flu shot the previous September.  He was, indeed, quarantined for a couple of days in our cabin.  The nurse checked him regularly, and when he was fever-free for 24 hours, he was released from quarantine.  In an effort to get into port, we made it to the security area before his quarantine restriction was lifted in the security system.  A beeper went off when he scanned his card, and we had to wait until the medical center approved his going ashore.

Similar story for my husband and I. 
We were on Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2018 World Cruise. 
My husband was not well at the end of February. He was able to recover fairly quickly. 
I fell ill on March 2. I had to insist on being seen I crawled down to the Medical Center twice. The first time my temperature was not above 99.   I normally run around 96. 
They dismissed me. 
I returned the next morning and slumped outside until it opened. They took me in and the Dr who was on immediately diagnosed me with the "Australian Flu". 
I was put on Tamiflu and immediately confined to my cabin. 
The Hazmat suited cleaning staff came in twice daily to clean the room. 
The Nurse and Dr came twice a day as well. 
I was confined to cabin for 6 days. 
We were in Princess Grills and I was allowed to remain in the cabin. 
I had had the DOUBLE shot for Medicare patients as well as the Pneumonia shot in November. 2017.
I had also had the flu the first week of January 2018. 

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Cancelling for next year already? That seems a bit soon, unless of course you just want to have time to make other plans for a different kind of vacation. I figure I'll wait and see what happens with Celebrity's policies into the new year and decide at that point. My cruises are next May so final payment due in February. I have some land-based trip itineraries in mind as a back up that should be relatively easy to throw together if the cruise doesn't work out.

I’m booked and ready for my Feb/23 Caribbean cruise. Off the Reflection a few weeks ago , went perfect. But new variants, cases starting to rise, test required to return to US and one day pre boarding test for Rome embarkation eliminating the test before heading to Italy as being valid, all has me seriously rethinking my 8/8 cruise on Beyond. I thought most of this would be gone. It isn’t. Going out Ft Lauderdale. An acceptable risk, a foreign country I thinking no. FP in 3 weeks, not looking good. Rats!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jetblue said:

I commented pretty much the same on his FB post. I told him that you seem so calm…….he agreed that you are the calm one and he is the hot head 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiccups said:

Every CC member who read these experiences and then told every relative and friend with an upcoming cruise about what could happen if they test positive. The friends and relatives then tell their own contacts, so the net is wider than first glance.

41 minutes ago, bananavan said:

My husband was not well at the end of February. He was able to recover fairly quickly. 
I fell ill on March 2. I had to insist on being seen I crawled down to the Medical Center twice. The first time my temperature was not above 99.   I normally run around 96. 
They dismissed me. 
I returned the next morning and slumped outside until it opened. They took me in and the Dr who was on immediately diagnosed me with the "Australian Flu". 
I had had the DOUBLE shot for Medicare patients as well as the Pneumonia shot in November. 2017.

I wonder if Cunard has changed any of the practices described from 2018? They seem to have recognized the needs of their passengers. Anyone with recent Cunard experience?

Thank you for sharing. I hope they are still responding to the complex needs of pax who become ill onboard.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Sorry but other lines are quarantining in balcony cabins, there is no reason that Celebrity can't do the same.   

We love Celebrity but they are not doing as good a job with this than other lines like Holland. 

Okay, okay, okay already...

There must be a reason that X is not doing the same, rather we agree or understand or accept it or not...

This is the current protocol, so let us agree to follow it or bail before getting on the ship and not be disappointed if it has not changed were we need to go into quarantine... or possibly be surprized if the protocol has been changed to where we can stay in our cabin/suite while being quarantined (I doubt it, but hope springs eternal... LOL)

Now to carry on with relevant conversation about @jetblueand his and others experience during isolation on The Silly...

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
Clarity of thought....
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, champagnecruiser said:

Not sure if this will help but found this on CDC site.

image.thumb.jpeg.b2303fc8e3a3679a61ebb9308d091f0c.jpeg

Okay. So the Hotel Director clearly is either misinformed or not telling the truth.  I don’t know how to highlight here, but the first bullet point says to consider “proximity to the medical facility and gangways for ease of patient transport.” It does NOT say ‘for medical team convenience.’  And, as far as I know, the CDC is not requiring people to have 2 negative tests to be released from isolation. It simply requires something like 48 hours post-fever and a general resolution of symptoms. As another poster has stated, some people continue to test positive for several weeks even though they are not contagious.

I think it is awful that David and Steven can’t be together in a balcony room. I certainly hope David tests negative soon and that Steven continues to recover. David, you have certainly opened our eyes to what can happen. And, I, too, want my pilot to be calm and collected under adverse, unexpected circumstances! 

Edited by DingoMom
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jetblue said:

That just doesn't seem right.  So your suite now sits empty.  At least you have some company!  

6 hours ago, bananavan said:

They dismissed me. 

All pre Covid. Since Covid one Cunard ship I think the QM2 was stuck in the Caribbean because so many of the bridge crew including the Captain tested positive the ship couldn't sail until replacement officers had been flown in.

• Like 1