Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

I wonder how many people it takes to speak with Celebrity, that they are considering cancelling as they can’t face being stuck in an OV before they change their policy?  I’m thinking about it for our long awaited summer cruise. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, the penguins said:

All pre Covid. Since Covid one Cunard ship I think the QM2 was stuck in the Caribbean because so many of the bridge crew including the Captain tested positive the ship couldn't sail until replacement officers had been flown in.

Cunard had to abandon the cruise. All those affected seem to have had positive experiences whilst in their care once the initial solution of utilising Queen Victoria as a back up occurred.

Regarding CDC regulations it should be remembered the Silhouette is now sailing under European regulations as she's in different waters.  These are very stringent on testing for covid and do insist on two negative tests before release.  There is much debate on other CC boards about these EU requirements as they appear very harsh compared with land based regulations but they are what they are and no debate will remove them so they have to be adhered to by the cruise lines and passengers.  

Anyone taking a cruise on any line sailing within Europe may find it useful to seek out these terms of sailing if they are uncomfortable after reading of David's experience.  The situation is actually greatly improved from a month or so ago where the unfortunate sick and their non positive contacts would most likely have found themselves removed from the ship into quarantine hotels for 10 days or more.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:42 PM, jetblue said:

Alright, quarantine cruisine time for tonight, all from Luminae. Might need @Jim_Iainor anyone else onboard confirm that I got the right dessert, looks a little odd, but hey at least we got bread and butter tonight!

Green Apple Dessert

I didn’t have it but looks like something missing. 

7 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, okay, okay already...

There must be a reason that X is not doing the same, rather we agree or understand or accept it or not...

This is the current protocol, so let us agree to follow it or bail before getting on the ship and not be disappointed if it has not changed were we need to go into quarantine... or possibly be surprized if the protocol has been changed to where we can stay in our cabin/suite while being quarantined (I doubt it, but hope springs eternal... LOL)

Now to carry on with relevant conversation about @jetblueand his and others experience during isolation on The Silly...

In health and bon voyage

With all due respect, perhaps you would feel differently if you were currently in quarantine on board Silhouette as are David & Steven.

Since the ship started sailing again the reports I’ve seen were that balcony cabins on Deck 6 aft were being used for quarantine. This was of particular interest not only in case I had to be quarantined but also because my booked cabin was Deck 6 forward. 

It was already reasonable for passengers to expect quarantine to be in a balcony cabin. On a ship sailing at half capacity, with the whole of Deck 6 closed off, even more so. I do not believe this has anything to do with CDC, EU, UK or any other official government policy. I believe it is Celebrity policy, possibly for this cruise only, for their own purposes and benefit.

How can passengers “agree or understand or accept it or not” when it clearly isn’t an across the fleet policy and has not been honestly or consistently applied or explained?

• Like 9

14 hours ago, hcat said:

At least  I assumr it has some type of inoperable  window to let light in, and let you look out.   If I was in an inside with no time outside of my room,  I would  feel very confined.

This possibility is why we ONLY booked a 5 day cruise on Beyond. Rt Florida.  If we need to be  confined, we would want to get out of there asap...get our car and drive away.  We hear that many drs and hosp in  Fla  now have treatment meds available.

So what happens next,,more testing? For how long?

No more testing for me. I must remain isolated until we get to Southampton on Thursday and then I'm free.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, jetblue said:

No more testing for me. I must remain isolated until we get to Southampton on Thursday and then I'm free.

So what are you planning on using to satisfy the US entry requirements?  Did you negotiate a certificate of recovery from the ship's doctor?

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So what are you planning on using to satisfy the US entry requirements?  Did you negotiate a certificate of recovery from the ship's doctor?

Still waiting to talk to the doctor. There were more positive cases of Covid today so I'm sure they are running around dealing with those at the moment.

• Thanks 3

I just heard from friends who are sailing on the Queen Mary later this week that they have a Covid situation on board and that due to this they are implementing full mask rules again. And if those sailing are not happy with this they can get a full cash refund.  Hopefully Celebrity will follow suit on the Silloutte for cruise leaving Southampton on Thursday which I on. We will be wearing masks anyway but would be of great comfort if everyone else is as well.  

On the desk 3 quarantine cabins could it be that the veranda ones are all full with other Covid patients?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jetblue said:

How many more days is that?  I assume you have already watched every movie on the list you posted a few days ago.

Again, you both have handled this very well.  Sorry that the trip has been ruined for you.

8 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, okay, okay already...

There must be a reason that X is not doing the same, rather we agree or understand or accept it or not...

Sorry you don't like the fact that I've made it very clear that Celebrity is not handling this right.  

Yes, there is a reason, it's about money and not wanting to give up a better balcony room to a person with Covid. Sad.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, farawayatsea said:

I just heard from friends who are sailing on the Queen Mary later this week that they have a Covid situation on board and that due to this they are implementing full mask rules again. And if those sailing are not happy with this they can get a full cash refund.  Hopefully Celebrity will follow suit on the Silloutte for cruise leaving Southampton on Thursday which I on. We will be wearing masks anyway but would be of great comfort if everyone else is as well.  

On the desk 3 quarantine cabins could it be that the veranda ones are all full with other Covid patients?

They are not, we confirmed with the hotel director that all covid patients are on deck 3 this cruise. None on deck 6.

5 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Sorry you don't like the fact that I've made it very clear that Celebrity is not handling this right.  

Yes, there is a reason, it's about money and not wanting to give up a better balcony room to a person with Covid. Sad.  

You've made it clear that you believe that Celebrity is not handling the situation correctly, but you seem to ignore the fact that Celebrity may have other issues than greed.  Perhaps Celebrity is using the balcony cabins to isolate new crew members that are just joining the ship.  Perhaps Celebrity does not want to mix confirmed Covid cases with new crew members because the ventilation system has not been modified to prevent cross-infection.  There are numerous reasons other than greed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

How many more days is that?  I assume you have already watched every movie on the list you posted a few days ago.

Again, you both have handled this very well.  Sorry that the trip has been ruined for you.

3 more days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Perhaps Celebrity is using the balcony cabins to isolate new crew members that are just joining the ship.  Perhaps Celebrity does not want to mix confirmed Covid cases with new crew members because the ventilation system has not been modified to prevent cross-infection.  There are numerous reasons other than greed.

Two questions arise from your comments. Why are Celebrity putting the needs of new crew members above those of paying guests, surely they can accommodate both without having to isolate in OV rooms and secondly if the ventilation system has not been modified to cope with the prevention of cross infection why is the ship even sailing? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

I believe it is Celebrity policy, possibly for this cruise only, for their own purposes and benefit.

I suspect more staff were taken on in Florida, due to increase in the booked numbers for Europe. They then would have had to isolate.

I keep trying a dummy booking, hoping that I can find a price reduction.

If Celebrity select a cabin for me, the option is always Deck 6.

7 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Two questions arise from your comments. Why are Celebrity putting the needs of new crew members above those of paying guests, surely they can accommodate both without having to isolate in OV rooms and secondly if the ventilation system has not been modified to cope with the prevention of cross infection why is the ship even sailing? 

First, maintaining a healthy crew to serve and protect the passengers is more important that guest comfort.  Nothing is more important than the safety of the crew and guests.  Second the risks of cross contamination is greater with confirmed Covid cases so they need to take additional precautions.  Please let me know if there’s anything else I can clear up for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

First, maintaining a healthy crew to serve and protect the passengers is more important that guest comfort.  Nothing is more important than the safety of the crew and guests.  Second the risks of cross contamination is greater with confirmed Covid cases so they need to take additional precautions.  Please let me know if there’s anything else I can clear up for you.

Is there some reason the crew would be unhealthy if they isolated in Deck 3 Oceanview cabins? It’s not like crew is used to having a balcony. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don't forget to get the paper copies of your positive Covid tests, if you don't already have them.  

When I am going through hard times I use the '6 months test':  in 6 months from now, will this still suck?  Probably not - you will both be fully recovered,  back to work, vacation, normal life, and this will just be a blip in an otherwise good life. The upside is that already having Covid and being vaccinated you will have several months of being able to go to restaurants,  movies, anywhere without much risk.  Hope the next few days pass quickly and easily for you.  

• Like 1

We have a cruise booked for September on the Summit and this report has me somewhat worried. 

We recently returned from a three week Transatlantic (Buenos Aires to Barcelona) cruise with Viking Ocean - small ships with balcony-only cabins. My husband tested positive (PCR) on embarkation day and was transferred to a balcony cabin on deck 3 in the quarantine area for passengers and crew. I tested positive the following day and was transferred to his cabin to begin with and then to the neighbouring cabin a day later. We had the balcony divider open so we could wander in and out of each other’s cabin. My husband just had a slight cough, but I had the whole head, nose, throat thing, was extremely tired and lost my appetite, so was happy to have my own space where I could sleep when I wanted for the first few days.

Internet worked very well and there were loads of films and series on the TV, which I hardly watched because I read quite a few books during that time. Medical services visited every day (sometimes twice), guest services called every day to hear how we were and whether we needed anything particular. We received the restaurant menu every morning and room services always answered the phone when we wanted to order. The longest wait for a meal was 30 minutes. And the food was served on proper crockery! We were PCR tested every day and were released after 10 days according to US CDC guidelines. We were very well looked after, for which we were very grateful, but 10 days is a long time…

We also cruise frequently with the German cruise line, TUI Cruises, and believe the quarantine area for passengers and crew is always in balcony cabins on deck 6. TUI Cruises is a very close „relative“ of Celebrity.

So there are cruise lines out there that respect passenger needs and have the right business model for current times.

• Like 9

Day 6 update, Captain announced this morning there were several new cases of positive covid tests this morning without giving a specific value. All we know is the amount onboard is above 1% of the ships population, so more than 26 people sick.

Steven is about 95% back to normal and I'm 100%. Steven has is first get out of jail covid test coming up I believe tomorrow so we'll see if he's luckier than I am.

I checked with the doctor this morning regarding a letter of recovery to clear us to travel. She said she can only give us that if we were isolated onboard for 10 days. On the last day of the cruise she will provide us a letter with our positive covid cases and a letter showing how many days we were isolated. We would then need to isolate the remainder of the days in the UK and then find a doctor to give us a letter of recovery, or test negative at any point, or find some other way home that won't require testing.

We're still figuring out our options but hopeful we can be home as quickly as possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, Tigrou said:

With all due respect, perhaps you would feel differently if you were currently in quarantine on board Silhouette as are David & Steven.

Since the ship started sailing again the reports I’ve seen were that balcony cabins on Deck 6 aft were being used for quarantine. This was of particular interest not only in case I had to be quarantined but also because my booked cabin was Deck 6 forward. 

It was already reasonable for passengers to expect quarantine to be in a balcony cabin. On a ship sailing at half capacity, with the whole of Deck 6 closed off, even more so. I do not believe this has anything to do with CDC, EU, UK or any other official government policy. I believe it is Celebrity policy, possibly for this cruise only, for their own purposes and benefit.

How can passengers “agree or understand or accept it or not” when it clearly isn’t an across the fleet policy and has not been honestly or consistently applied or explained?

Back at you with respect.

During these times, when I 'voluntarily' pay good money to board a ship, any ship,

1) I have to assume the risk of infection from C-19 rather I think about it or not;

2) I, if is understand the nature of C-19), accept the protocols which X has put in place to protect other passengers and crew members;

3) I make sure that I have travel insurance for any and perils for which I may encounter, especially during this pandemic;

4) I understand that X has warned me of such a situation and the CoC outlines how X will handle me in such a situation rather I like it or not, up to and including dis-embarking me from the ship at any point;

5) If I do not like the protocols as described by those who have gone or going through them I can cancel my sailing and let X know exactly the reason.

Yes, any policy which X may impose is not only for their benefit, I believe also for the benefit of the passengers and crew. Will they always get it right? As we read here, possibly not. In which case take it up with X and report back their response as opposed to the many iterations of the airing the dislike and lies and inconsistencies and etc...

Again, when it is reported that there are issues with being in quarantine and we do not like or accept it, then it is time to bail on X and sail on a line that has policies we prefer.

@jetblueand others who have posted here about their 'isolation' really have exemplified an attitude of understanding and acceptance due to the situation. This is not to say that they are not upset by the situation, in total, as opposed to understanding the situation and move forward for better health given the protocols currently in place.

Unless I missed them, only non-passengers are crying foul and are upset, more so, about the situation... LOL Go figure, Go cancel before the three (3) day cutoff and save ourselves the agita and upset just in case we contract C-19 and have to isolate.

In health, respect and bon voyage

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Yes, you and others have made it very clear.

It is so clear that it is oft repeated and re-iterated in various ways, how can anyone forget the angst???

Yes, it is about money, I can readily agree with that.

Yes, it is about our money and we can thwart X at every turn, if it is the intent, by canceling and letting them know the reason to possibly influence their policies and decisions.

How sad is it that we know what X is doing that we continue to book, sail and think that we will not contract C-19 until we do and want  X or others to bear the full burden of our decision to board given the circumstances.

Go figure.... LOL

Rant Over and I will permit the OP continue on with their most positive and informative postings about how they are being treated and supported by X crew and staff aboard. While I understand others cannot let it go, let them (those in quarantine) speak out and answer questions related to their treatment as such.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Clearly there are differing views as to how Celebrity is handling positive cases, and differences in various ships. But Is there anywhere that specifically outlines the protocol of what happens in these cases or is it really down to individual Captains and ships  to make their own decisions based on numbers. I understand the testing 5 days after a positive test and 10 days etc, but I’m more interested in how the individuals are affected. Number of medical visits, specific cabins, treatment of partners etc. If people  knew exactly  to expect then booked passengers could continue  or cancel based on factual information. 

• Like 2