Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

While I understand others cannot let it go, let them (those in quarantine) speak out and answer questions related to their treatment as such.

Not trying to come off as preachy, but is this simply your advice to you or are you telling us we shouldn't comment? I 'm very interested in others' take on this isolation situation and very happy they share their concerns with the rest of us.  Also very happy that JET BLUE and some on other threads are sharing their current  experiences with us so that we can think about the possible ramifications of sailing in the near future under the present isolation conditions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Berlin Bear said:

So there are cruise lines out there that respect passenger needs and have the right business model for current times.

I’m very glad you were treated well on your Viking TA. But before too much praise is given to Viking for respecting “passenger needs,” and while I realize that ocean ships and river boats are different, folks should read the most recent pages of the Viking River Cruise Roll Call “All Viking 2022 France river cruises,” detailing the very poor experiences of a number of Viking guests who have tested positive on river boats and been kicked off by Viking to isolate in unchosen hotels in Europe with varying arrangements for getting food, lack of follow up from Viking, etc.  There are some pretty unhappy folks there.  

Last month, my wife and I reluctantly cancelled a long-planned Viking Tulips and Windmills river cruise out of Amsterdam (postponed from April 2020) that we would have been on right now, after several distressing and unsatisfactory phone calls with Viking seeking to learn what would happen if either or both of us tested positive upon embarkation or during the cruise. (Viking tests everyone daily.)  The best I could tell, from a supervisor, was that we’d be kicked off the boat, and sent to a “standard government hotel,” which would not necessarily have room service or food available, or internet access, that a Viking rep would not follow up with us, that Viking had no idea whether any medical personnel would check in on us, and that Viking would not assist us in rearranging flights. In other words, Viking would wash its hands of us. 

Again, I’m glad you were treated better on your ocean cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

Not trying to come off as preachy, but is this simply your advice to you or are you telling us we shouldn't comment? I 'm very interested in others' take on this isolation situation and very happy they share their concerns with the rest of us.  Also very happy that JET BLUE and some on other threads are sharing their current  experiences with us so that we can think about the possible ramifications of sailing in the near future under the present isolation conditions.

Exactly.  We have a TA followed by a Fjord's cruise in 2 weeks.  Are we going to cancel? No.  But this thread and all that @jetblue and his husband have shared at least has prepared us for what may happen if we test positive.  It also has helped us prepare better for the trip and we are appreciative for that.  We have altered group plans for this trip, we will spend far more time in our stateroom and far less congregating with others.  

That said, will I be happy if what has happened to jetblue happens to us, well of course not.  Sometimes X monitors this Board and perhaps they will see how unhappy others are with the way they are handling things.  Likely? No. But one can hope.🤥

• Like 5

Celebrity had no ships sailing the Med in winter,,,,if they had they would have had to follow the country rules just like Viking River cruises,,,,,P&O and other that do/did sail the Med in winter had to quarantine passengers in hotels ashore if they had Covid affected passengers aboard.

How does anyone know if Celebrity would have handled things differently?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m very glad you were treated well on your Viking TA. But before too much praise is given to Viking for respecting “passenger needs,” and while I realize that ocean ships and river boats are different, folks should read the most recent pages of the Viking River Cruise Roll Call “All Viking 2022 France river cruises,” detailing the very poor experiences of a number of Viking guests who have tested positive on river boats and been kicked off by Viking to isolate in unchosen hotels in Europe with varying arrangements for getting food, lack of follow up from Viking, etc.  There are some pretty unhappy folks there.  

Last month, my wife and I reluctantly cancelled a long-planned Viking Tulips and Windmills river cruise out of Amsterdam (postponed from April 2020) that we would have been on right now, after several distressing and unsatisfactory phone calls with Viking seeking to learn what would happen if either or both of us tested positive upon embarkation or during the cruise. (Viking tests everyone daily.)  The best I could tell, from a supervisor, was that we’d be kicked off the boat, and sent to a “standard government hotel,” which would not necessarily have room service or food available, or internet access, that a Viking rep would not follow up with us, that Viking had no idea whether any medical personnel would check in on us, and that Viking would not assist us in rearranging flights. In other words, Viking would wash its hands of us. 

Again, I’m glad you were treated better on your ocean cruise. 

The experience you describe is exactly the protocol which has been in place for European ocean cruises since September last year.  It was not cruise line specific but a requirement of the Government authorities in Europe to enable any cruising to recommence.  It has been a feature of cruising in Europe throughout the winter season and also something which involved moving non positive contacts ashore as well.

The new protocols which came into force in March were designed specifically for the Spring/Summer season and timed to commence with the arrival of the US cruise line vessels into European waters.  They are a huge improvement on what was in place before.  However, ironically, the UK based passengers put ashore by the ports who did not test positive had no recourse to their insurance and had to rely on cruise line goodwill.  

The question has always been about people flying in to countries to join cruises and how they would fare if still testing positive at the end of the cruise. 

It is very clear under EU and UK legal protocol that the responsibility for the passenger is and remains the cruise lines' and they have to provide necessary hotel accommodation and repatriation if require. This is notwithstanding anything offered like cruise with confidence, it basically says the cruise line has to have an insurance policy to cover eventualities where a passenger's own insurance does not cover them.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Perhaps Celebrity does not want to mix confirmed Covid cases with new crew members because the ventilation system has not been modified to prevent cross-infection. 

The ventilation system according to Celebrity should be able to cope. 

HVAC system continuously supplies and filters 100% fresh, filtered air to all spaces. You can breathe easy knowing the robust system’s layers of protection make the transmission of aerosol particles between spaces extremely low to virtually impossible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity's business model is based on offering a vacation package designed to pamper its clients/passengers.

Celebrity's business model also operates on an international basis. Therefore, it has to comply to a wide and complex variety of Covid regulations established by local and national regulators.

Yes, Celebrity is a business and aims to make a profit.

When I choose to sail Celebrity, I take in consideration of course, the passenger experience, but also, and foremost, their health and safety protocols. I trust in their corporate values and judgement. Otherwise, I would not sail with them.

Operating in a Covid environment, must be extremely challenging, fiscally, organizationally, and on the human perspective ( employees and clients).

Celebrity is aware, no doubt, that taking a passenger away from a Suite experience down to an Oceanview Room with deliveries.... is not in accordance with their business model of pampering their clients, especially, their most valuable ones. If such a decision is made, I am positive, that Celebrity believed it's the best decision for all, taking into account, this extremely complex set of factors involved.

I chose to trust Celebrity on normal sailings, in my opinion, the company, in this context, still deserve my trust, despite the change of comfort level experienced by affected passengers. Believe me, I understand their disappointment, as I would be. But, as mentioned by others, this is a risk taken and accepted, when choosing to travel in this context.

Coming back to Jetblue and his husband, their narrated experience is so helpful in better understanding the quarantine process. Their magnitude and positive approach despite the setback is also a strong teaching moment.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jetblue said:

Day 6 update, Captain announced this morning there were several new cases of positive covid tests this morning without giving a specific value. All we know is the amount onboard is above 1% of the ships population, so more than 26 people sick.

Steven is about 95% back to normal and I'm 100%. Steven has is first get out of jail covid test coming up I believe tomorrow so we'll see if he's luckier than I am.

I checked with the doctor this morning regarding a letter of recovery to clear us to travel. She said she can only give us that if we were isolated onboard for 10 days. On the last day of the cruise she will provide us a letter with our positive covid cases and a letter showing how many days we were isolated. We would then need to isolate the remainder of the days in the UK and then find a doctor to give us a letter of recovery, or test negative at any point, or find some other way home that won't require testing.

We're still figuring out our options but hopeful we can be home as quickly as possible.

Interesting in light of the fact that you were told earlier that you would not require further quarantine after disembarkation. Are you covered by the assistance plan to complete the required number of days?  If so, I would expect a Celebrity contact person to be available to facilitate the logistics of housing, obtaining the necessary testing or doctor’s documentation and return transportation.

This sounds as if you are own your on which does not square with my understanding of the COVID Assistance Plan, which is still in effect until April 30.

11 minutes ago, Babr said:

Interesting in light of the fact that you were told earlier that you would not require further quarantine after disembarkation. Are you covered by the assistance plan to complete the required number of days?  If so, I would expect a Celebrity contact person to be available to facilitate the logistics of housing, obtaining the necessary testing or doctor’s documentation and return transportation.

This sounds as if you are own your on which does not square with my understanding of the COVID Assistance Plan, which is still in effect until April 30.

In the UK there is no legal obligation to quarantine - just a recommendation that you do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding river cruising, I have friends on Viking River Cruise Baden to Amsterdam right now. All passengers tested daily. She says of 140 passengers,  ~ 40 have been forced to disembark for positive tests. So far they’re both negative. Cruise ends tomorrow. Sounds like Russian roulette! I have enjoyed river cruising in the past but there’s no way I would subject myself to that daily anxiety! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, schittenden said:

Is there some reason the crew would be unhealthy if they isolated in Deck 3 Oceanview cabins? It’s not like crew is used to having a balcony. 

Deck 3 has had the ventilation system modified, so it is a safer environment for confirmed Covid cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sunlover33 said:

The ventilation system according to Celebrity should be able to cope. 

HVAC system continuously supplies and filters 100% fresh, filtered air to all spaces. You can breathe easy knowing the robust system’s layers of protection make the transmission of aerosol particles between spaces extremely low to virtually impossible.

That's true, but you are ignoring the effect of pressure differentials possibly spreading the virus.   Deck 3 has been modified to be safer than other locations.

11 minutes ago, the penguins said:

In the UK there is no legal obligation to quarantine - just a recommendation that you do.

Yes, but the US still requires a negative test to fly home. One has to test negative or have a certificate of recovery. While the UK may not require quarantine, the effect is the same as long as the negative test requirement is in place. Not confined but still can’t leave - at least by air.

So it appears that jetblue  may, indeed, be on his own to sort it out. An interesting turn of events for others who may be depending on the assistance plan.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Babr said:

Yes, but the US still requires a negative test to fly home. One has to test negative or have a certificate of recovery. While the UK may not require quarantine, the effect is the same as long as the negative test requirement is in place. Not confined but still can’t leave - at least by air.

So it appears that jetblue  may, indeed, be on his own to sort it out. An interesting turn of events for others who may be depending on the assistance plan.

@jetblue has been doing a wonderful review of life in lockup.     He has now tested negative and his husband is testing again today.     They have to stay in isolation until the end of the cruise.    He asked for a Certificate of Recovery and told they could not give him one until he has been in isolation for 10 days, but will be given a letter certifying how many days they were in isolation on the ship and could use that in the UK to get the Certificate of Recovery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Babr said:

It is my understanding we will be on our own because technically the UK says we will not need to quarantine when we arrive because we are passed the 5 day mark and have no more symptoms. We don't technically need to isolate in the UK, just can't get a letter of recovery until 10 days have passed since first positive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

26 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

How hard would it be for a non-UK resident to get a doctor's visit in London for a certificate of recovery?   In NYC, we have walk-in clinics all over, so it should be easy to get here (cost aside).  

Would they even need one though? If they both test negative then they can get into the US and if they want a certificate they can obtain it through their regular primary care provider. Of course, if either is still testing positive, then that would be a different story. 

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Maddie38 said:

Would they even need one though? If they both test negative then they can get into the US and if they want a certificate they can obtain it through their regular primary care provider. Of course, if either is still testing positive, then that would be a different story. 

They will not need one as long as they both test negative no more than a day before their flight to the U.S.   That's the crapshoot part of this, especially for folks who have just had covid.  Hopefully, David will continue to test negative, and Steven will soon do so. 

• Like 5

The NHS in the UK do not issue Certificates of Recovery as there is now no legal requirement to test.  There are private online and physical clinics which purport to issue these, normally at around £90 or so. Assumedly if they test clear they will not require this service but the online ones state the certificate can be issued within 30 minutes so assumedly if the worst happens an appointment could be pending in case the test comes back positive.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

How hard would it be for a non-UK resident to get a doctor's visit in London for a certificate of recovery?   In NYC, we have walk-in clinics all over, so it should be easy to get here (cost aside).  

Should not be too difficult as long as one is not confined - just a day or two of trip delay which is easily covered by travel insurance.

I was thinking of the other threads here full of people up in arms because COVID assistance is expiring. Here is an example of when it would not have helped anyway.

• Thanks 1

I think we have all learned a lot from David and Steven so appreciate their sharing of the isolation experience.  For anyone that’s even thinking about not reporting and just staying in their rooms they will definitely be on their own. They will have no credit for any isolation which could be difficult when dealing with their insurance coverage for not seeking out medical.  One could possibly still test positive after even 14 days which happened to my husband. It does not necessarily turn negative on day 6!  A PCR can remain positive for months.    If we would have been traveling a positive test discovered to fly back to the US would no doubt  count as day one with no medical backup from the cruiseline if you have no record of an original earlier positive test.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

You can get Covid tests at Heathrow so can get fit to fly docs. I would have thought if you bought flight with Celebrity would they not assist ?