First time cruisers--questions about our Symphony cruise (food, checking in, etc.)

baelor

We are a group of four (late 20s/early 30s) excited about our first cruise.  We booked an August cruise on the Symphony, since we figured we should go on a big ship to get a sense of what cruising is like.  We have done a decent amount of research, but we had a few questions:

1)  We like planning in advance and booking stuff early.  It seems that there is some check-in process that happens a month or two before the sailing, but I am not sure what that opens up/makes available.  It seems like some stuff has to be booked on-board?  If so, can I do it from the app (and is the app reliable without a WiFi package)?

2)  Are there on-board must-dos?  Our current list includes the Broadway show, Aquashow, ice show, FlowRider, and slides/zipline.  We are hoping to get a free spot for the FlowRider.  Two of us do not mind chilling and reading/swimming--it looks like the Solarium may be a bit quieter for that.

3)  We are really struggling to understand the food and how to approach it.  It seems like reviews are all over the place (and this holds true across lines).  Our group has two people who love buffets and say that chuck steak and filets taste the same.  At the other extreme, we also have someone who thinks that Ruth's Chris is now a low-end steakhouse since the steaks are no longer dry-aged but is still fine eating most things.  We are considering dining packages (like the 3-meal one) but are unsure of what to try/do as far as the food.  We obviously have time to explore, but having starting suggestions may be helpful, both in terms of included food and specialty packages.  We are fine splitting up for some meals as well.

(Relatedly, we are curious if anyone has a sense of why reviews for RC (and other lines, for that matter) are all over the place.  It seems really weird.)

4)  Our shore excursions include St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and CocoCay.  We booked some stuff for CoCoCay but were wondering whether the waterpark is worth it.  The price seems steep--like $100.  Should we use the other days as beach days?

Thanks for any insight!

42 minutes ago, baelor said:

If so, can I do it from the app (and is the app reliable without a WiFi package)?

No need for VOOM package to use the app and no performance affect by not having it. 

Check in opens 45 days out - no affect on other things. 

Flowrider is free. 

Try just one specialty venue or maybe Chops+1. 

Save any excursions for some place other than CocoCay - no need for them there to have a good time. 

We were on the same itinerary but Allure last October.

1. Check in opens 45 days before sailing. That’s when you select your boarding time, input all of your personal (passport information and your picture). A day before you will get a text/email to input your COVID shot information. As of now you don’t need to have any boosters. No problems running the APP without the package. Only thing is when you have cell access you need to turn off WIFI because it tries to go over WIFI first and the WIFI will not have internet access without purchasing the package. When we got on the ship we sat down and started to book things on the APP.  I heard before COVID you could do this sometime within the 45 days. The comedy shows are in a small venue and if you are not there 10 minutes before showtime you might lose your seat, we found out the hard way.

2. Flowriders (2 of them) are free and there is a dedicated standup and boggie board but they only give you a couple of times a day to try the standup if you haven’t mastered it. We liked strolling through Central before and after dinner. Don’t forget about ice skating (need long pants) rock climbing, shuffle board, and putput.  Don’t forget the slides either. First day solarium bistro is open for lunch so you can get away from the crowds at windjammer.

3. We only ate at the MDR for dinner and did the late sitting because there is some waiting involved with my time, it seems more relaxed, you don’t have to rush from port days, don’t have to think about what time works best, and you get the same wait staff. If you do specialty dinning I’ve heard to try Chops, Wonderland, and 150 Central Park. The MDR will have 3-5 appetizers, main courses, and desserts every night and 3-5 every night that are different (are only available for that night). Check the APP because the menus will open up before you embark so you can plan your selections. Other free options are the Doghouse, Central Park Cafe, Sorentos, 

4. We did beach days at both St Marten and St Thomas. Did not sign up for anything at Coco Cay. Plenty of loungers but there were 2 ships there at less then 1/2 capacity. The pool bar area was crowded.

Hmm.  Lots of questions here and will try to give you a few ideas.  First of all, cruising gets expensive once you get hooked.  52 here for us so far on four lines.  All lines are different and a good TA can steer you to the ones you might like.

Read the board.  It will give you a lot of information.  Also read the port board for where you are going (and do this before booking cruises to get ideas where you want to go).

1. Online checkin opens at 45 days precruise.  You add credit card info, passport info/photos and pick a boarding time.  Usually you can book shore excursions, spa and dining around a year in advance.  Since restart this has been shortened somewhat.  And you pay when you book.  Keep watching prices because when they go on sale you can cancel and rebook.  Takes a week or so to get your money back.  Shows and onboard stuff used to open around 90 days before sailing.  Now can only book these onboard once your app connects to the ship.  A wifi package is only needed if you want access to the internet.  Make sure your cell service is turned off onboard - Cellular at Sea costs a fortune.  Once onboard book shows and dining as soon as possible - they do fill up.  Note that show reservations let you get in 30 minutes before the show - you don't get seat reservations.  At 10 minutes they open up the doors to people without reservations.

2.  No reservations for slides, zipline, Flowrider.  Just show up when they are open.  Wife's brother likes to book group lessons on Flowrider because it gets him more time.  Solarium is a nice quiet area, although on the Oasis-class ships it can be very hot up there with little shade.

3.  Food.  Don't try to eat it all.  If you like the menus of the specialty restaurants you can book a specific time before the cruise, buy a package (you pick restaurants/times once onboard), or book while onboard - they often push discounts, especially to Wonderland.  But there is a ton of free food available.  We like the main dining and book MyTime dining.  We make reservations for the same time each night and get the same table/waiters for the whole cruise.  With fixed seating you get the same table every night either early or later.  Mytime lets you pick your time or just show up.  You may have a wait if you want to eat around 7 pm since all tables likely full then.  If you want a steak you can order the Chops Grill steak in the main dining room for around $16.  But the always available steaks are not bad.  Advice - try main dining on your first cruise.  Look at the menu in the app or posted next to dining room/buffet and see if you like it.  Also, try the smaller venues.  Places like Sorrentos for pizza or Cafe Promenade have lots to choose from.  Most of these are included in your cruise fare.  The buffet is great for trying food you have never seen before.  Didn't know I liked starfruit.

4.  You don't have to spend any money at Coco Cay.  Lots of loungers under umbrellas, many also under palm trees, lots of free food.  Beach and pool are free.  If you really want the waterpark look at prices for cabana there and compare water park individual price with cabana rental.  And note that the slides are very high and can have long lines - how many times will you get to ride?

I think the strip steak in Mdr ok but then I am ok with the minute steak in the WJ. Strip steak offered every night in Mdr... except they ran out the last night. I like MW so dont order prime rib .. ever. 

The chops steak is offered in the Mdr for a price. The fillet to me is all I will order, bitmits small.

Hard to predict what someone else will like. He might be ok with less cooked steak. I had a brand new waiter who brought me a M strip steak. No way i would eat it. Red inside. 

There are usually specials onboard if you ask right .. I'd wait to book specialty. Maybe dinner in the solarium will reopen. I was a fan. 

I think the strip steak in Mdr ok but then I am ok with the minute steak in the WJ. Strip steak offered every night in Mdr... except they ran out the last night. I like MW so dont order prime rib .. ever. 

The chops steak is offered in the Mdr for a price. The fillet to me is all I will order, bitmits small.

Hard to predict what someone else will like. He might be ok with less cooked steak. I had a brand new waiter who brought me a M strip steak. No way i would eat it. Red inside. 

There are usually specials onboard if you ask right .. I'd wait to book specialty. Maybe dinner in the solarium will reopen. I was a fan. 

We just got off the Symphony and thought the food was good in the WJ and main dining room.  We did a Chops lunch as it was cheaper (all the buy on get one free option not available in Chops ). We didn't try Hooked as there was so much seafood to choose from in the MDR didn't want to pay for it.  There's fresh and free pizza at Sorrento's on the Promenade and free hot dogs on the Boardwalk.  El Loco Fresh is free and good  MexicanIMO.  Park cafe on deck 8 is a good option and it's also free.  Breakfast sandwiches, bagels, oatmeal, fruit yogurt, muffins, and other pastries.  No separate bacon, sausage, pancakes or waffles if that's what you're looking for.  Solarium bistro still not open on our cruise.  That was a big disappointment for us.  That's a free venue when it's open.  Have fun.  We're back on the Symphony in June with our family.  Can't wait.

BTW, the app was not working when we boarded to had to go to the Attic on deck 6 to book all of our entertainment.  So much easier when we could book it pre boarding.  

To address the food reviews being all over the place, you have to keep in mind food is very subjective. Two people can have the exact same meal with one loving it and one hating it. Everyone isn’t going to agree with this but in my opinion the food quality increases from the Windjammer to the MDR and finally to the speciality restaurants. Having said that, I think the food is good at all of these locations. If you are going to try a speciality restaurant, Chops is your best bet. The steaks there are as good as some of the best steak houses in the Tampa area where I live. On the other hand, Wonderland is the worst meal I have experienced on 42 cruises. That is one speciality restaurant I will never go to again. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional responses!  I am sad to hear that Wonderland was disappointing, since that was the specialty restaurant our group was probably most interested in given that it seems unusual.  I am glad to hear that the food is overall good, though, especially the included food!  

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

To address the food reviews being all over the place, you have to keep in mind food is very subjective. Two people can have the exact same meal with one loving it and one hating it.

I also wanted to respond to this, because it maybe clarifies our confusion.  We obviously agree that food is to some extent subjective.  But for us, "good" refers to the quality of the food and preparation/presentation, not how much one actually likes it.  There are plenty of things that I recognize as "good" even though I hate them (like goat cheese, for me).

So maybe that is why we are confused.  For example, Applebee's tastes fine the few times I have been there, but I would not consider it "good," and I would rather have well-seasoned and fresh food than stuff reheated in a microwave (not to shade Applebee's--maybe that was just the few I have been to).

I guess we are confused because people seem reluctant to make objective statements.  Either your steak is cooked how you ordered it (medium-rare for me) or not.  Either the sauce-to-pasta ratio is good or it is not (way under-/over-sauced).  Either the pasta is cooked al dente or not.  Bread/buns/rolls are either stale or not.  Either carrots/beans are seasoned enough or they are not.

In other words, we can't tell whether a statement like "the food was fine" means that there was a large selection, that the person liked most of the food, that the food that was available was good-quality, or something else entirely.

If it helps, we have watched a decent amount of cruise food videos/reviews, and the RC MDR food looks pretty good to us (except maybe the vegetable sides, which seem a little bland?), whereas the MSC food (especially the buffet) looked downright nasty.

Edited by baelor

There was nothing wrong with Wonderland on the Symphony. We both thought the food was very goo, and there were some different variations of desert and drinks. Would I do it again? Probably not, but not because of the quality of the meal or thew service. It's presented diferently, and while entertaining, for us it's more of a one and done, but we have no regrets doing it. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves there.

If it's your first cruise take a look at menus from the ship - they can be found online in a number of places.  Best thing to do in the MDR is find some waiters you enjoy talking with and they'll steer you to better choices.  If you don't hit it off with the first waiters you get, ask for a different table the next night when you arrive.  If you don't like something you ordered, tell them and order something else.

Use Coco Cay as a beach day.  Free chairs and umbrellas, several beaches to choose from, grilled food is included as if you were eating on the ship.

St. Maarten (pre-covid anyway) had lots of shuttles near the docks that would take you to any of the popular beaches.  Rates are posted.  Just make sure you know how to get a ride back from the driver.

Not a big St. Thomas fan.  

For internet, when you get off the ship in places like St. Maarten, it's not hard to find a bar that will give you an hour of internet if you buy a beer.  St. Thomas may be on your plan already as it is a US territory, call and check into it.

We were on Symphony in February and went to Central Park 150 twice.  The first time was excellent which is why we booked a second time.  The second visit was just OK.  Wife's fish was way overcooked.  Guess it just goes to show things are rarely as good the second time compared to the first time you do it. 

My 20something tear old kids said paying for the water park was worth it at Cococay(they paid)

Also would do Wonderland once
St Maarten has lots to offer check the port of call forum,  

have done Captain bobs snorkel tour or land tour of the island the first time

20 hours ago, baelor said:

1)  Check in opens about 45 days ahead.  It lets you do some of the check in stuff, like upload your vax card.  But you still need to show the vax card when you physically check in.  And it gives you your luggage tags to print.

You can start booking things as soon as they show up in your cruise planner.  Book it if if you like it and the price is acceptable.  You can always cancel for a full refund if the price goes down or you see something you like more.

2) There is one overriding To DO on board.  HAVE FUN.  RELAX.  ENJOY.  Do you try to do too much or you will be exhausted from your vacation.  If  you miss something, consider it an excuse to cruise again.

3)  See Number 2.  RELAX.  The three night package is nice, but you may find that you want to dine extra nights in the MDR for something particular on the menu.  Realize, that many of the dishes from the MDR are also on the buffet.  And you all 4 do not need to eat every meal together.  If some prefer buffets, they can eat there while the other have another plan.

4)  Up to you on the water park.  I have only been to Coco Cay once since the revamp.  And while I love water parks, I did not do that one.  I did the Wave Runners and then sat at the in pool bar and enjoyed the afternoon.  If you feel it is too much, then don't do it.  Plenty of other things to do.  Or just relax and enjoy the beach.  We did a tour with an independent tour company on St. Maarten.  See the Ports of Call section.  It ended up with just the two of use and the driver.  We saw the island, visited the nude beach (sort of), and then went to Maho Beach to watch the planes come over low.

19 hours ago, baelor said:

Thanks for the additional responses!  I am sad to hear that Wonderland was disappointing, since that was the specialty restaurant our group was probably most interested in given that it seems unusual.  I am glad to hear that the food is overall good, though, especially the included food!  

To give an alternate review - we loved Wonderland (on Ovation in 2019). We were slightly apprehensive because we knew it was unusual, especially given some of the unique flavor combinations as well as the concept of many courses with several that are just small bites. I'll be honest, I was mainly in it for the World dessert - which did not disappoint!

Not only do I not eat red meat or port, but there were definitely things on the menu we don't care for (for example, for me, blue cheese; for my husband, mushrooms). I don't care how well cooked the dish is, if it has blue cheese I'm not going to enjoy eating it. If I remember right, we let them choose most of the small bites and we specifically picked our more substantial dish. We told our server at the beginning about the things we definitely weren't interested in and they went from there. It turned out to be a great experience, and one I would certainly repeat.

I agree with whoever said - have a look at the menu, and look online for pics of the food. If it sounds like something you'd enjoy, then go for it!