Temperature Inside Ship to Alaska

debnrick

Cruising next month round trip from San Francisco to Alaska. First Alaskan cruise. Been on many Caribbean cruises and know exactly what to pack without even thinking about it. Struggling a bit on what to pack and what not to pack on this one. So my question for all of you past Alaskan cruisers ….. what’s the temperature like inside the ship while sailing? Should we still bring shorts to wear around while seeing shows, gambling, drinking, relaxing? Pretty sure we will need sweaters or light jackets while walking around outside on deck but just stumped with inside attire. And from what I’ve heard … the main dining room won’t be as strict on clothing (ex: jeans would be okay). Anyone with any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. 
Happy Sailing

Edited by debnrick

We did CCL Alaska cruise in August a few years ago.  Layers are definitely a must!  For outdoors we had a windbreaker over a fleece with a sweatshirt, and a long-sleeved shirt (gloves and hat) when outdoor viewing.  Our temps ranged from 40 degrees to 60 degrees in ports, with Ketchikan being 85 degrees when we were there! Indoors temperature was comfortable.  Aft pool was always covered and warm enough for bathing suits.  Jeans are acceptable in dining rooms on Carnival- even if it wasn't an Alaska cruise.  

So....still need answer to pe4all's question, as I have been wondering the same.  We are taking our first Alaska cruise 5/2/22, and while I can pack for all of Southern Caribbean cruises and International cruises without thinking about it as well, still not sure what to pack and wear for INSIDE the ship for this one?? I understand layering for outdoors in Alaska....

Inside the ship is quite comfortable.  You may be cold walking by a door that is opening to an outdoor deck, or possibly sitting by a window at one of the restaurants.  I was on the Millennium (X) this past Sept (Alaska cruise) and I was able to wear a sleeveless jumpsuit to dinner without using a light sweater.

• Like 1

I’ve been on 2 cruises to Alaska and will be going again in 2 weeks. I found it a little too warm inside, but many had on sweaters. If you normally find it cool in the restaurant or theater, you will likely find the same on a ship in Alaska. A light sweater will probably be appreciated at times.

5 hours ago, debnrick said:

Cruising next month round trip from San Francisco to Alaska. First Alaskan cruise. Been on many Caribbean cruises and know exactly what to pack without even thinking about it. Struggling a bit on what to pack and what not to pack on this one. So my question for all of you past Alaskan cruisers ….. what’s the temperature like inside the ship while sailing? Should we still bring shorts to wear around while seeing shows, gambling, drinking, relaxing? Pretty sure we will need sweaters or light jackets while walking around outside on deck but just stumped with inside attire. And from what I’ve heard … the main dining room won’t be as strict on clothing (ex: jeans would be okay). Anyone with any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. 
Happy Sailing

Two times to Alaska and both times the inside temps were nice and comfy. Outside, a different story. Late August and snarly September cruises were a bit chilly.

Ditto!-no problems with the inside temps, on either of my Alaskan cruises. When my mom cruised  (she was in 80's), she always needed to wear a sweater in the dining room, the theater, etc. Guess it was an age thing for her.

Inside the ship is about the same as all of them, I have not noticed a difference except in the cabins which is different all the time.... but if your going to the Lido for lunch it might be chilly.

while I am on the ship I will be in shorts and tee...

Yes bring layers bring an umbrella just in case... weather is different from day to day...port to port. Tracey Arms the two times I have been it is cold once it was snowing in first week of June... Last August it was in the 40's add wind speed from the ship it is cold...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, woodey said:

Inside the ship is about the same as all of them, I have not noticed a difference except in the cabins which is different all the time.... but if your going to the Lido for lunch it might be chilly.

while I am on the ship I will be in shorts and tee...

Yes bring layers bring an umbrella just in case... weather is different from day to day...port to port. Tracey Arms the two times I have been it is cold once it was snowing in first week of June... Last August it was in the 40's add wind speed from the ship it is cold...

When you say it's different in the cabins all the time, what do you mean?  Do you have decent control over your room temperature?  We've had trouble on warm trips getting our room cool enough to sleep comfortably - I hope we aren't stuck with the heat on too high in our cabin!  

On 4/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, debnrick said:

Happy Sailing

We are on the May 2 out of San Fran...I also am struggling on what to pack...do I still include tanks, shorts and bathing suit....ugh

I went in May and it was pretty cold/rainy when we started out - jeans, jacket, hat, mittens and beach towel wrapped around my legs on the balcony.  😊  But by the end I only needed jeans and a tshirt.  I ended up wearing jeans inside every day.  Brought shorts, but didn't wear them - because I always ended up outside at some point - the nature person would announce there were whales or something else cool to see. 🐋

5 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

I went in May and it was pretty cold/rainy when we started out - jeans, jacket, hat, mittens and beach towel wrapped around my legs on the balcony.  😊  But by the end I only needed jeans and a tshirt.  I ended up wearing jeans inside every day.  Brought shorts, but didn't wear them - because I always ended up outside at some point - the nature person would announce there were whales or something else cool to see. 🐋

I will bring one pair of shorts....gosh I hope we at least see some sun

Not sure where home is for you @susan1957, but May early can be cold here.  Also, doesn't it take 2+ days to sail from SF to Alaska?   Anytime that you will be outside it could be quite cold and windy.

As I am sure you have read, layering is necessary, and fleece is your friend.  Rain will impact you more than a dry cold day.  Make sure that you have waterproof shoes as well.  Expect the time viewing the glacier to be cold and possibly windy.  Have a hat and gloves with you.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Not sure where home is for you @susan1957, but May early can be cold here.  Also, doesn't it take 2+ days to sail from SF to Alaska?   Anytime that you will be outside it could be quite cold and windy.

As I am sure you have read, layering is necessary, and fleece is your friend.  Rain will impact you more than a dry cold day.  Make sure that you have waterproof shoes as well.  Expect the time viewing the glacier to be cold and possibly windy.  Have a hat and gloves with you.

Home is Toronto...p.s.....it was just snowing....

Edited by susan1957

11 hours ago, Virga said:

When you say it's different in the cabins all the time, what do you mean?  Do you have decent control over your room temperature?  We've had trouble on warm trips getting our room cool enough to sleep comfortably - I hope we aren't stuck with the heat on too high in our cabin! 

11 hours ago, Virga said:

Every Cabin I have stayed in temp. goes up and down during the trip.

it seems like it gets hot during the day and to cold day night, or the opposite on the next trip Fantasy class Ships seem to be the worst.

I have been on the Miracle twice in the last 7 months and the first night on the first trip was bad, next day i asked the room stewart for help and was good during the nights...  

Edited by woodey
good
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susan1957 said:

Home is Toronto...p.s.....it was just snowing....

Ok,  living in Toronto you understand cold and how to dress for it.  I just want you to be ready for rain and wind.  Even in SF, the city is often times socked in with marine air cloud cover during the morning hours.  Just be ready for it.

Here is a link to a great live webcam in Juneau.  You can follow the weather conditions.  Make sure you have your sound on.

https://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/

• Like 1

If you are a person who is cold, no, I wouldn't worry about shorts.  On the other hand, I wear shorts most of the time.  If I get cold, I add a hockey jersey. 

But, outside layers and bring a rain coat.

11 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Ok,  living in Toronto you understand cold and how to dress for it.  I just want you to be ready for rain and wind.  Even in SF, the city is often times socked in with marine air cloud cover during the morning hours.  Just be ready for it.

Here is a link to a great live webcam in Juneau.  You can follow the weather conditions.  Make sure you have your sound on.

https://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/

Oh wow!   Thank you so much for sharing....4 am now....doesn't sound warm lol

29 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

Oh wow!   Thank you so much for sharing....4 am now....doesn't sound warm lol

During the cruise season you can actually watch the ships enter the harbor and dock.  Also, you can watch people board the seaplanes, taxi out on the water and take off.  About an hour or so later, you will hear the planes returning, then taxi into their slips. At least in past seasons its been a group of three seaplanes coming and going.  Having the sound makes you feel like you are there. So fun to watch and listen to.

Sailed Alaska end of August. Pretty cold the day we visited Mendenhall Glacier-wore a ski jacket and really needed it! Took a whale watching boat trip - and yes, ski jacket was absolutely needed! Helicopter to a glacier - entire family wore ski jackets and needed them. Parked in Glacier Bay for a few hours - cold wind blew so brutally, even with my ski jacket, wool hat, scarf and gloves on, my eyes were watering from the wind and it was difficult to use binoculars. We were so surprised at how cold it was. We bought ski jackets on clearance at the end of the winter season with the expectations we would just discard them before coming home from Alaska. Guess what! Those cheap jackets were so perfect, I crammed them in our suitcases to have for future trips. Juneau and Ketchikan were rainy - our waterproof shoes were really needed. We have lightweight travel umbrellas and used them as well. We checked the temperature ranges for August before leaving home and decided to be prepared for anything. We couldn't risk not having the proper outwear, etc. for a once in a lifetime trip and being miserable or changing plans because we weren't prepared. Perhaps we just happened to encounter abnormally cold weather, but we were ready and had a great time!