45 mins flight change Seattle to Vancouver, should we be worried?

Tracey/Thom

We're excited to take our first HAL, first Alaska cruise in 2 weeks. Alaska airline (booked through HAL) has changed the flight itinerary (flying in from Florida) and we now only have 45 minutes to land in Seattle and board the Vancouver flight (where we board Niew Amsterdam) 2 days later. I know that's the minimum time approved by the airlines, but am worried about our luggage not making the switch! Should I be worried? Anybody done this recently? We were planning on take 1 large suitcase for the 2 of us, but am now thinking about 2 suitcases (with half of our things in the other case) in case one gets lost.  Due to physical limitations 2 cases would be a major hassle, but on a 10 day cruise, no suitcase would be bad. 

1 hour ago, Tracey/Thom said:

We're excited to take our first HAL, first Alaska cruise in 2 weeks. Alaska airline (booked through HAL) has changed the flight itinerary (flying in from Florida) and we now only have 45 minutes to land in Seattle and board the Vancouver flight (where we board Niew Amsterdam) 2 days later. I know that's the minimum time approved by the airlines, but am worried about our luggage not making the switch! Should I be worried? Anybody done this recently? We were planning on take 1 large suitcase for the 2 of us, but am now thinking about 2 suitcases (with half of our things in the other case) in case one gets lost.  Due to physical limitations 2 cases would be a major hassle, but on a 10 day cruise, no suitcase would be bad. 

Are both flights on the same airline? Does the Seattle to Vancouver flight from Seattle board in the same terminal as the flight you are arriving on from Florida? Are you sitting near the front of the plane so you can deboard early? Are there more flights later in the day to Vancouver from Seattle on the airline you are on? These are all questions you need to answer before a proper recommendation can be made. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tracey/Thom said:

You will probably land on concourse D and transfer to concourse C to get on the smaller Alaska Airlines flights - if you aren't quick on your feet - I would ask Alaska Airlines for wheel chair assistance - distance only - that way you will have either a golf cart waiting or a young person pushing you fast from terminal to terminal.     

Your luggage will be fine barring any major delays since there are more flights later the same day - unless you are connecting to the last flight.  If you are on the last flight of the day, airlines are more apt to hold the last flight for connecting bags and passengers.

Since you are with Alaska the entire way - they will be more likely to hold your connecting flight 

Alaska has flights from Sea to Vancouver at 8:55, 12:40 3:50, 5:40, 7:30 and 10:59 pm.....Even if you miss your connections, unless you are on the last flight - chances are good you will get on a later flight the same day.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 3

The airline would still have to get the luggage to you, even in the unlikely event that you made the flight, but your luggage didn't.  You have two days in beautiful Vancouver before your cruise.  You might want to have a small carry-on bag with a extra change of underwear and a fresh top just in case.

• Like 1

SEA-TAC is an airport that always confuses me.  I never seem to be able to figure out that tram.

Seems like a lot of flights start boarding 45 minutes ahead.  Yeah, that's a very short time allowance.

• Like 1

@Tracey/ThomIf Alaska Airlines approved your flight changes then it should be a legal connection. However, their policy states passengers must be available for boarding at the gate no later than 30 minutes prior to the flight: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/at-the-airport/airport-boarding-times I wonder if they take connections into consideration on this?

Good Luck!

• Like 1

We are flying into Seattle soon, with a 35 minute layover in Sacramento.  We were assured recently by the gate agents in Sacramento that neither our luggage nor us would have any trouble making the connecting flight.  We are on Southwest. 

• Like 1

As for luggage transfer, my guess is that it would make it. Alaska has their 20 minute guarantee for bags to be at the carousel so I think the transfer is likely. Only once (in Denver) after many Alaska flights has my bag not been there within 20 minutes. And generally your documents are reviewed at check-in so hopefully not a lot to do in Seattle.  800-AlaskaAir is their customer service phone number.

• Like 1

Did I read correctly that you are arriving 2 days before your cruise? If that is the case I wouldn’t worry too much. That should be plenty of time if things go awry for luggage to catch up and what not. 

I think a 45 min connection in SEA is doable but not ideal. If your inbound on time you are probably fine. Your flight could also arrive at the N gates (satellite terminal) where you have to take the train over to the main terminal. This would take more time than just walking to the other gates does. I think the advice of asking for a wheelchair is not bad at all. 

Probably worth seeing if flight ease or AS can get you switched to a longer connection, but if you have 2 days before your cruise I think it will be ok. 

• Like 1

I’d call Alaska Airlines and request a longer layover. They’ll probably tell you that it’s technically an allowable layover, but they should be willing to accommodate your request. If they won’t, know that the regional Alaska planes that fly to Vancouver depart from C Concourse. Alaska mainly uses N (via train), C, and D, but I have flown into S (via train) and B if gates are full. Wishing you smooth travels!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Update: Well, we're back and had a marvelous cruise. 45 minutes was not long enough!

We ran like crazy people through the terminals - from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. Arrived sweating and panting - and mercifully the departure had been delayed so WE MADE IT TO VANCOUVER!  And our luggage arrived too - probably because the Seattle-Vancouver flight was delayed. We had 2 nights in Vancouver, so we figured our luggage would arrive before our cruise, but who wants to be without your suitcases in a new town for even a few hours?

Thanks, all!

3 hours ago, Tracey/Thom said:

Update: Well, we're back and had a marvelous cruise. 45 minutes was not long enough!

We ran like crazy people through the terminals - from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. Arrived sweating and panting - and mercifully the departure had been delayed so WE MADE IT TO VANCOUVER!  And our luggage arrived too - probably because the Seattle-Vancouver flight was delayed. We had 2 nights in Vancouver, so we figured our luggage would arrive before our cruise, but who wants to be without your suitcases in a new town for even a few hours?

Thanks, all!

Thanks for coming back to update how it all went! It’s always nice to hear the result.

My own experience has been that SEA to YVR flights are frequently delayed. Not sure why.