Norfolk Island

Now if NI had a Maccas, Hungry Jacks and Red Rooster, that would be handy,, poor local kids there, deprived of that fabulous tucker.   Are there any Chinese Restaurants there now? 

🤡

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Now if NI had a Maccas, Hungry Jacks and Red Rooster, that would be handy,, poor local kids there, deprived of that fabulous tucker.   Are there any Chinese Restaurants there now? 

🤡

God no, last thing they need is a fast food outlet, masquerading as a food provider.

Part of the beauty of the place is it's true unspoilt identity.😆

As for a Chinese restaurant, it use to have one on the edge of the town, and it was quite good, but on our last trip it was all closed up. Hope it was because of covid and they could not afford to open, and now people are going again they will reopen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

God no, last thing they need is a fast food outlet, masquerading as a food provider.

Part of the beauty of the place is it's true unspoilt identity.😆

As for a Chinese restaurant, it use to have one on the edge of the town, and it was quite good, but on our last trip it was all closed up. Hope it was because of covid and they could not afford to open, and now people are going again they will reopen.

When we went there in the mid 90's, they did not have mobile phone coverage, had no mobile phone tower,  and no TV, perhaps it was the 1890's lol.

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

When we went there in the mid 90's, they did not have mobile phone coverage, had no mobile phone tower,  and no TV, perhaps it was the 1890's lol.

I believe they have improved since then, now they have all that and internet, their at least late 1990's now😂, hoping life there doesn't catch up with us. its that calm no rush bliss that makes us marvel at their pace of life.

One lady was saying she hadn't see her brother for a while, as he lives on the other side of the island, and it takes her at least 15 minutes to get over there, and she's not keen on travelling.

Now that's my style of living.😆

I assume she was pulling my leg. but.....

• Haha 1

We went there last year because it was the only overseas place we were allowed to go and there is some decent birding there.  I highly recommend Margaret's birding tour, your hotel can book it for you.  Otherwise we did bring some food over that could be eaten with hot water - noodles, porridge and such, also snacks and cans of drinks as we heard that food was scarce and expensive.  After going to the supermarket, it was pretty expensive compared to Aussie prices.  We aren't foodies, had a few meals out, there is a bowls club in town that was cheap, also a couple reasonable cafes.  We did a fish fry, they provided chicken to non-fish eaters but my husband loved the fish.  Nice dance show!  We were there for 4 days, had a rental car for 3 days and easily got around to all the sights including a return to the birding trails Margaret took us to. 

31 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

Where did you stay?

pssst keep it quite! don't tell anyone! don't want it to be booked out when we decide to go back.😉

It was a private cottage called Selwyn Cottage found it on the internet.

The owners really great, very helpful, and the cottage is a delight.

He provided a car and a phone to use while there.

Picks you up from the airport.

But remember this is just between you and I OK.😉

6 hours ago, Tikibird said:

We went there last year because it was the only overseas place we were allowed to go and there is some decent birding there.  I highly recommend Margaret's birding tour, your hotel can book it for you.  Otherwise we did bring some food over that could be eaten with hot water - noodles, porridge and such, also snacks and cans of drinks as we heard that food was scarce and expensive.  After going to the supermarket, it was pretty expensive compared to Aussie prices.  We aren't foodies, had a few meals out, there is a bowls club in town that was cheap, also a couple reasonable cafes.  We did a fish fry, they provided chicken to non-fish eaters but my husband loved the fish.  Nice dance show!  We were there for 4 days, had a rental car for 3 days and easily got around to all the sights including a return to the birding trails Margaret took us to. 

Yes I'm not a bird watcher, but did note the all the different birds.

Sorry not a great photo taker, but below some we saw and I was able to capture.

Most of the little beggars were to fast for me.

DSC_5474cs.JPG

DSC_6047cs.JPG

DSC_5500s.JPG

DSC_5510s.JPG

DSC_5603cs.JPG

DSC_6043-c.JPG

DSC_5582cs.JPG

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NSWP said:

Are there any Chinese Restaurants there now? 

21 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

When we were last there in 2018, there was a Chinese place, only thing open that time of the night on a Sunday! It was right in the middle of town, just up from the roundabout, a location known to anyone who has been to NI 🙂  

1 hour ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

is there any decent snorkelling from beaches on the island?

Yes. There's nice snorkelling to be had off Emily Bay in the bottom corner. Older daughter had to be basically dragged into the water but once she was out there, loved it.

37 minutes ago, mr walker said:

When we were last there in 2018, there was a Chinese place, only thing open that time of the night on a Sunday! It was right in the middle of town, just up from the roundabout, a location known to anyone who has been to NI 🙂  

Did not see it last year, but could have missed it.

The one I was referring to was opposite the Cumberland Resort. Buildings still there but closed up.

Covid seems to have effected them even though they didn't get during the "crisis".

8 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Did not see it last year, but could have missed it.

The one I was referring to was opposite the Cumberland Resort. Buildings still there but closed up.

Covid seems to have effected them even though they didn't get during the "crisis".

Not far from the airport???  We haven’t been there in about 15 years, since they told Mrs G not to fly, but there was a good Chinese on the way to the airport last time.

1 hour ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

Never been to Norfolk either, but looking at satellite image, doesn't seem like there are many beaches?

is there any decent snorkelling from beaches on the island?

Craig

As losfp advised Emily Bay is a great beach and the lagoon is wonderful for snorkelling.

Best of all it is very safe to swim there as the reef keeps sharks out. Well so they say.

Its also a great place to go for a picnic.

There is another beach direct access to the ocean on the other side of the island.

Haven't been there, it's a bit of trek down evidently, and an even bigger one back up.

But if your young or very fit it's supposed to be worth the trek.

Emily Beach.jpg

On 4/26/2022 at 5:29 AM, MMDown Under said:

Good idea. There are some crooks in the car hire business. Always check fine print such as not covered for single car accident (Tas) not covered for driving between dusk and Dawn (Uluru)

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

pssst keep it quite! don't tell anyone! don't want it to be booked out when we decide to go back

But remember this is just between you and I OK.😉

Thanks. Found it. It looks good.

Edited by cruisine21

Been there half a dozen times for the Country Music Festival bar last year. even went up for a week when my uncle, who was the oldest Norfolk Islander, had his funeral there, cousin still lives there

Enjoyed each trip even though we have been there so many times

Dont forget all the roosters who like to wake up early😀

34 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

Been there half a dozen times for the Country Music Festival bar last year. even went up for a week when my uncle, who was the oldest Norfolk Islander, had his funeral there, cousin still lives there

Enjoyed each trip even though we have been there so many times

Dont forget all the roosters who like to wake up early😀

Yes forgot about the festivals there excellent, if you can time your trip to one of their festivals, you will need to allow more time there.

And yes the bloody chooks, feral free range, came around our cottage every day looking for a free feed, and they have a very definite pecking order to don't they..

38 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

And dont forget to visit the golf club and cemetery

https://www.norfolkislandgolf.com/

Even though we have stayed right in town we have found we need a car  rain?

Yes, great little golf course down near the water, abutting the historic grave yard. Had a game of golf there and walked around the grave yard.  Some British soldiers from my fathers old regiment are buried there from ye olde convict days.

We had spent a week there and while we felt it was long enough, we could easily have stayed longer and done more walks. The food and alcohol was not as expensive as I had expected. We sourced many home grown products, which not only helps the locals but also us.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We stayed in a place that included a car, even though it is a small island, we made to clock up 279 kms in the week we had it.

I'm looking at going for the first time in a few months time, looking for accommodations that includes a car, any suggestions thanks.