Fish & Ships

When we were on Symphony last October they where having fish and chips in the MDR. I had it and didn’t care for it.  I later found out that I didn’t hear the waiter explain beforehand that they were out of Cod and were subbing Mahi-mahi.  

I loved this on Ovation in Alaska last year. The young lady there became one of my crew friends I went so often. They were making them to order because this was a low capacity sailing and there just wasn't much demand. The fries are the best I've ever had on a cruise ship. The fish sandwich was just the right amount for a hearty snack. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We will be cruising Ovation in a couple of weeks and will have our first opportunity to try Fish & Ships.  I would guess it would be about the same as on other ships.  If you have tried Fish & Ships did you think it was good?  I love lobster but I have never tried a lobster roll.  Has anyone tried a lobster roll from Fish & Ships? Does anyone have a recent menu to post?

their fries are sooooo good!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

So, the fish and chips are complimentary on Ovation, but $7 on Indy?

The mysteries of the universe and Royal Caribbean.  No one knows why half the menu is included on Ovation but not on Indy, not even Royal Caribbean. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being english and having fiah and chips as a staple diet in the uk.......i just hope its done correctly and authentic. Although i have to ask do they have batter coated fried mars bars or other chocolate snacks for pudding?

Proper batter not breadcrumb batter or the batter on corn dogs. 🤢 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Being english and having fiah and chips as a staple diet in the uk.......i just hope its done correctly and authentic. Although i have to ask do they have batter coated fried mars bars or other chocolate snacks for pudding?

Proper batter not breadcrumb batter or the batter on corn dogs. 🤢 

Yes they do have batter coated mars bars(or equivalent of our mars bar) and certainly on the Indy we found the fish was Cod and proper batter , was certainly good value when they used to do them at half price some days around 4pm $3.50, also always freshly cooked 👍😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, baelor said:

And a texture difference!  Ivar's fan, by any chance?  Or do you prefer pollock?

I'll eat at Ivar's at their waterfront location, but there fish is the basic frozen fish thrown in the fryer. I like a fresh/defrosted fish in a light batter. I find cod superior in taste and texture to pollock...of course halibut beats them both.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

I'll eat at Ivar's at their waterfront location, but there fish is the basic frozen fish thrown in the fryer.

Agreed!

2 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

I like a fresh/defrosted fish in a light batter. I find cod superior in taste and texture to pollock...of course halibut beats them both.

Also agreed!

So I’m guessing the fried Halibut & chips might be a better choice than the fish and chips that is Cod.  I might have to try it first just for the Halibut.  😊.   This thread is convincing me that Fish and Ships should be my first stop after boarding!  

30 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

So I’m guessing the fried Halibut & chips might be a better choice than the fish and chips that is Cod.  I might have to try it first just for the Halibut.  😊.   This thread is convincing me that Fish and Ships should be my first stop after boarding!  

Remember it is a free venue for the fish and chips.  It isn’t like enjoying seafood at a specialty restaurant.  🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Remember it is a free venue for the fish and chips.  It isn’t like enjoying seafood at a specialty restaurant.  🙂

I am thinking great for lunch.  Not expecting a Hooked experience.  I like trying new places.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We are cruising the 12th.  Have you thought about b2b? 😊 Thanks for posting the menu.  Looks like they sub the fried lobster for the lobster roll.  Fish and chips sounds good.  Is it much different than what they serve in the MDR?

I found this description on the menu, so although they don’t have lobster roll on menu, they mention it in description.

Find yourself reeled in to Fish & Ships, a seaside-style seafood spot that's just steps away from the pool. Here, you can enjoy a basket of freshly battered cod and crispy hand-cut fries without even having to change your flip flops. Plus lobster rolls, calamari, and frosty pints of beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

I must've sitting next to you last September because I did the same thing. Sat under one of those heaters to keep warm.

I ate at Fish & Ships just about everyday...politely asked for my fish & chips, and Alaskan Pollack fish sandwich to be fried crispy...outstanding. (Both items were complimentary on the Ovation)

Which sailing were you on?  We were on the September 10 sailing.  Wish we had tried Fish & Ships sooner but we didn’t try it until the 5th day when we were in Sitka.

It’s the only way to order it, ask them to fry it longer until it’s crispy and golden.  I find that the fish & chips in the Windjammer to be pretty good sometimes, especially when they bring out a nice new batch that is fresh, hot and crispy.   The MDR fish & chips can be hit or miss.  Here is a MDR version from a December Liberty sailing .

C971D809-933C-4A17-AFCB-292A39545482.thumb.jpeg.a811e55c50b6c8cbec0caa3ad6ab0ded.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Which sailing were you on?  We were on the September 10 sailing.  Wish we had tried Fish & Ships sooner but we didn’t try it until the 5th day when we were in Sitka.

It’s the only way to order it, ask them to fry it longer until it’s crispy and golden.  I find that the fish & chips in the Windjammer to be pretty good sometimes, especially when they bring out a nice new batch that is fresh, hot and crispy.   The MDR fish & chips can be hit or miss.  Here is a MDR version from a December Liberty sailing .

C971D809-933C-4A17-AFCB-292A39545482.thumb.jpeg.a811e55c50b6c8cbec0caa3ad6ab0ded.jpeg

We were on her Sep 3rd and Sep 10th :classic_smile:

• Like 1