The Daily for Monday 04/25/2022

richwmn

Today is East Meets West Day, National DNA Day, and World Penguin Day

If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.--Alfred Tennyson

Meal Suggestion for today - Zeytoon parvardeh
Drink of the Day - Still Steam
Wine of the Day - Walter Scott 2019 X-Novo Vineyard Chardonnay (Eola
Destination of the Day - Phu My, Vietnam

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Cadiz, Spain, Sevilla eta 04/27

At Sea Caribbean

Noordam   Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 04/27

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Vancouver, BC CA
Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination San Diego, Califor
Zuiderdam   Destination Victoria BC, Vanco

Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores

Rotterdam   08:00 - 18:00

San Diego, California

Eurodam   08:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Catania, IT

Oosterdam  

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Operations off Shore

Stirrup Cay

Zaandam   Anchorage

0425World.thumb.png.e09df9fa77e416a52bfb4656ab1752ff.png
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's Monday, hope it's the start of a good week.

I worked out in the garden yesterday, so I'm a little stiff and sore today.  We've got rain in the forecast, and had lots of rain and wind overnight.

East meet West day is an important day in history, an step in ending World War II.  Love penguins - who doesn't?

Great quote from a great poet.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

I don't know anything about the cocktail either, looking forward to seeing that recipe too. 

I'm sure the wine will be tasty, hope it isn't too expensive.

I've never been to Vietnam, thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Been to Vietnam but it wasn't for a vacation, can't believe it was 54 years ago. I was stationed in Nha Trang on the South China Sea and it was very pretty then and now is a big resort destination for Australians and other countries in the region.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Tee it high and let it fly!

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I've had East meeting West  many times on cruise ships; DNA is a wonderful tool, and Penguins are majestic, particularly if you have covid and have lost your sense of smell.  I love the quote.  I've only been to Vietnam on the Zaandam but don't think Phu My was the port.  I'll need to see what @dfish has to say about the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple and Cucumber Soup. Mixed Greens w/ Lettuce and Prime Rib of Beef as served on MS Amsterdam April 25, 2014.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui

Strength for smitty34867
 Cruzin Terri and DH in covid jail
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after str with covid at oke
msmayor daughter recovering from gall bladder surgery
Knee replacement for Ryan
From the rotation:
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
Welfare of furloughed crews
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
Strength for Marshawk and DH

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Dismomx5 headed to Cairo to meet new toddler and baby born
Cruzin Terri and DH negative tests
JAM37 and cat shepard almost neighbors
msmayor daughter back home and feeling better
Norseh2o (Regatta to 5/1),  Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon.

It is 46°F and partly cloudy now after heavy rain this morning.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping our important lists updated daily.

Interesting days and one  with different meanings.

DNA research has made a massive difference in solving crimes.

I think today's quote could apply to us all when thinking of our loved ones.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Never been to Vietnam but respect the history.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and above all else stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220425_115655.jpg

Screenshot_20220425_115726.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone.

Today is starting out warm and sunny but rain is supposed to move in shortly after noon and temps will begin to fall.  How I enjoyed yesterday though!   My flank pain woke me up at 5:00 am.  I forced myself to stay in bed until 5:50 and then got up.  That is my next big hurdle - seeing the surgeon about how to fix this.

Today's meal is like tapas.  Zeytoon Parvardeh, or Persian marinated olives, would make a nice pre-dinner treat.  Or a great mid afternoon snack.  It would be fantastic followed up by Roy's alternative meal.   

It doesn't say whether to use oil cured or brine cured olives.  I think I would look for the oil cured olives.  One of the grocery stores in town has an olive bar, so I would head there.    https://www.unicornsinthekitchen.com/marinated-olives-walnuts-zeytoon-parvardeh/

345429417_zeytoonparvardeh1.thumb.jpg.87d216a7887eb160ab46dd527eaba750.jpg

The pomegranate seeds in this one make it look very appealing.  https://igotitfrommymaman.com/zeytoon-parvardeh-persian-marinated-olives/

935645511_zeytoonparvardeh2.jpg.f8645c4fccb5f47aeb70c2e8b813a425.jpg

You can make up a big batch of this and eat off it for a couple of days.  Olives, crackers, and wine on the back patio pre dinner sounds good to me.    https://greenbowl2soul.com/persian-marinated-olives-zeytoon-parvardeh/

114106083_zeytoonparvardeh3.thumb.jpg.6ba6b1275d70fbb3cc5d940d0e009cbd.jpg

Happy snacking to all!   Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.   Cheers to all who are celebrating like @Cruzin Terri and DH with their negative tests!   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another lovely morning and no breeze- yet. Deer & zooming babies are on the move. They are growing so fast. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Off to the gym, then I still have a few yard projects to finish up. But this past weekend was the first time this year, Bindi and I used the patio in the evening. The pollen seems to have decreased a bit. Maybe all the windy days have blown it far away. 

Monday smiles…

C075FC4B-0FE6-4607-8BE2-8550967111EF.jpeg.5716c0f0569fdb55b54c3a7edc98705d.jpeg

1F4AC5DD-A229-45B3-9F02-73DEDE91F659.jpeg.986c751a99f875c3b44598e373e27fc7.jpeg

ADB077D3-AA4B-479C-9403-C204E51EE3AA.jpeg.47c93d3c600b00c7bd25e71379daacbb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Walter Scott 2019 X-Novo Vineyard Chardonnay

This Chardonnay sounds interesting, but it is pricey. Would love to taste it, though. Several online distributors with prices starting at $75.00.

Wine Advocate: 98 Points

The 2019 Chardonnay X Novo Vineyard comes from vines planted in 2010 from a multitude of different clones. It has a tangy character, with scents of lemon peel, Greek yogurt and roasted almonds and wafts of perfumed orchard fruits. The palate is all tang, mineral and citrus, energetic and very pure, with honeyed fruits lingering long after the wine is gone. Wow!

Wine Enthusiast: 96 Points

This offers palate-piercing flavors of bitter herb, lemon zest, grapefruit, apple and green melon. It's compact and extremely youthful. The details and accents that lie within must be teased out with extra aeration. It's aromatic and inviting, showing just a little of the impact of aging in some new barrels. Drink from 2024–2034. PAUL GREGUTT

Decanter: 95 Points

The Chardonnay from Etzel's X Novo vineyard is a triumph. Winemaker Ken Pahlow has the vines on his block trimmed to one cluster per shoot to reduce yields dramatically. He ferments the wine with native yeasts and the majority of the lees and ages it over two winters with very little new wood. The result has aromas of apricot and peach accented with citrus notes. The texture is fresh and supple, with a minerally depth that comes out on the lingering finish. Drinking Window 2021 - 2031

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

Good afternoon everyone from lovely Sevilla.  There is not a cloud in the sky and it is going up to 75 degrees.  Finally some good weather.

Although we tested NEGATIVE this morning, we have to wait until tomorrow for another NEGATIVE test to be released from COVID JAIL. So we can only look at Sevilla from a distance right now.

Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers.  We really and truly appreciate them.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days - I will happily celebrate them all 🙂 

Absolutely love the Tennyson quote and couldn’t agree more 👍 Not familiar with this wine - looking forward to the description.  Yum on olives and today’s Persian appetizer 👍 

E3F731F4-4AD1-464E-B9B4-F984A496D75D.jpeg.6b18acd292b52b53c77d47b56145e6fd.jpeg

If you think HAL is inconsistent with what is done on different ships, our hospital has got them outdone.  The first ward that Jose was in wanted me to gown, glove, goggle/shield at the nurses’ station.  The 2nd ward he was moved to lambasted me when I did that and told me not to do it until I was outside his room and about to enter.  The 3rd ward he got moved to lambasted me yesterday.  They want you to do all of it at the entrance.  Honest to Pete wouldn’t you think they would all be the same???????

4242CFDF-697E-4C89-8288-30198DB1E402.jpeg.f5d2814ffcbb79ca6c463dfdd7d5ffd3.jpeg

Nice to see the 10 minute standing ovation in memory of Guy LaFleur and all he has contributed to hockey.  RIP.

Things are dire flood wise for southern Manitoba & North Dakota. May the weatherman be wrong & the weather stay dry to give a chance for the waters to subside 🙏🏻 

@Cruzin Terrigood news on your negative test - I was hoping your second one would be negative today and you would both be released from covid jail 🤞 So sorry to hear you have to wait another day 😔 

014E0A93-D4F2-441F-A7C4-97F9E3D2E754.thumb.jpeg.de1c7b1a32a8e15f2db98a56bc1c65ac.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday, everyone !!!!!

77851FF0-0CBB-404F-A5B9-332A9465A826.thumb.jpeg.10620c83f3d14c19fe5c3e750521007a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your mask when / where needed.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 7

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Finally no wind! Ocean looks calmer today. It has been churning.

Love todays quote.  I really like penguins, but they do have an aroma around them. I am booked to go to the Penguin Parade on Phillips Island in the fall. Hope it goes!

I have an unexpected board meeting at the library this AM.  So my normal water aerobics are off. I am going to walk to the library and that will give me some exercise. It is only about a mile so no big thing.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 28

Good Monday morning.  I had a very productive day yesterday before the rain came in yesterday afternoon.  Hostas and Ostrich Ferns divided and potted for our sale.  I also found my Japanese Iris had grown big enough to divide three pieces for our plant sale.  

Thanks for reminder of the important day in the turn of WWII toward the Allies.  

Prayers for all on Roy's care list, Jacqui and Jose and for the souls in Mariupol.  🙏

@Cruzin TerriI am happy you passed stage #1 of your clearance to freedom.   

Yesterday our harbingers of spring arrived.  A male Baltimore Oriole and a male Rose Breasted Grosbeak.   I hustled to get my jelly feeder out and filled.  This is the earliest they have arrived since I have lived here.   Past year's photos.  

BO 5118.jpg

RBG 520.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Daily Report!!

Yesterday was gorgeous out. I don't know if the temps ever reached 20C, but I was sitting on a lawn chair in jeans and a tee shirt. My husband had his shirt off.  We did some gardening and tidied up the yard.  

• Like 27

Good morning. It is an interesting  set of days. We will pass  on the olives today. My older DB served in Vietnam  and before he became ill spoke of wanting  to return as it was a beautiful  country.

Dinner tonight will be bean and cheese enchiladas by request of our teen age family member.He told me last night that he usually enjoys my cooking but really doesn't  like fish.I promised he could have something else on those nights.I probably  should have run it by his mom first  but it seemed a small thing to do to make him happy.

I told him about how my brothers and I would try to give the dog our unwanted food without my mother noticing. We were expected to eat whatever it was whether we liked it or not.

Terry

• Like 29

Good morning everyone! Today is a special day at our household. My dear wife Sue after serving 26 years serving in the USAF and retiring with the rank of Colonel pursued another career in the civil sector. Today as a Senior Director of a large cooperation she will step down and retire. Probably would have done this a couple of years ago but because we couldn’t travel she stayed on. She is a remarkable woman and now we can get on with our planned travels for as long as both of us are able. So proud of her.❤️
Tomorrow morning at eight AM we head to the airport and fly to San Francisco. Where our son will meet us and take us to Oakland where we will fly Wednesday to Honolulu for a three day stay at the Hale Koa before heading to Kauai for three weeks. Then my Daily posting will be more in the afternoon with the time changes.

Definitely been to Vietnam but not familiar with todays port. On my first tour I flew out of Danang. Looking forward to returning there on our World Cruise.

Thanks to all. @Cruzin TerriCongratulations on that important first negative test.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday Dailyites!   Yesterday was a beautiful day, where DH cleaned his bathroom, for a full day, and I did laundry all day.  And only walked out once in a while.   We never got to the grocery store, so we ended up at 7  last night driving across the street to our favorite Wing place.  They were closed, so we drove down the main road until we came to choice two.  They had added outdoor dining, so we ordered and chose a table outside.  Unfortunately the bad music choice playing inside was blasting outside, so we sat inside, ate our wings and came on home.  We realized that we hadn't had wings for over 6 months.  How strange, something we used to pick up about every other week,  hadnt been eaten in over 6 months.  DH thinks it was more than a year.

Another thing I still have to do, is to wash the covers on the den furniture, they seem to somehow get covered in fur...

aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZpLmNoemJnci5jb20lMkZmdWxsJTJGOTUxNzc4MjUyOCUyRmgzOTg0QUVBNiUyRmNhdC1rbm93LWdvdC1mdXItYWxsLW92ZXItaG91c2Utcy1jYWxsZWQtZnVybml0dXJlLWlzbnQtbG92ZS1tZW93?checksum=dfe74f64f49258baea05edc0a1418986faf6b772&format=j

Busy cleaning out  the fridge too, yesterday was a three meat omelet for breakfast.  We leave on Saturday, for our vacation.  I will keep a journey diary, and hopefully I can get the guys to take pictures and email them to me, so that I can copy them.  And at least present a small adventure to help keep the travel dreams going.  The BFF comes in on Wednesday night, and I really don't plan to cook anything from Wednesday on.

@dfish I love olives, and this looks like something I can make, as soon as I find someone else to join me in eating it.  

After my mom passed away, my father took a cruise to Vietnam,  He loved the beauty of this country.  He probably took pictures, he was a very good photographer, but he became ill after his return, and never recuperated, and I never found the pictures.

@ottahand7 I love your pictures today.  We have had gold finch show up, I have not seen them since the mid 60's.  So happy to see them making a come back.

Have a great day everyone.

b3005ed037656f6513879c914ed9ecb3.gif

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

Good morning friends!  Happy Monday morning.  We got up and walked 3 miles through our neighborhood.  We see a few folks out there now since temps are warmer.  It should be a beautiful day but rain is coming tomorrow.  Again.  East Meets West Day is a good one.  It brings to mind the book I'm reading about the end of WWII and the years after it when the US, England, France and Russia were in charge of setting up things in Berlin to help rebuild that city and help the citizens there begin their new lives.  The Russians were our allies at first but began to subvert our efforts there and the Communists were coming in.  A US pilot felt sorry for the children there and started dropping candy and gum out of his plane via tiny parachutes as he landed with supplies almost every day.  It became a very popular event and turned around some of the Berliner's feelings towards the US after the war.  It's a very LONG book so sometimes I feel like I'll never finish it.  It's called Candy Bombers.

DNA is an important tool, both for our curiosity but for solving crimes.  I love penguins and don't even care how they smell.  The quote is sweet, but no thanks to the chardonnay.  I prefer other white wines.  Phu My was last listed here June 2, 2021 and since we were there twice I posted a few photos from the two visits.  Back later with those.

Thank you Rich @richwmn  for the Daily!  And thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Ryan went home from the hospital Saturday, one day after surgery.  He complains of pain in his leg, but will live thankfully. 🙂 His therapist comes today to help him recover and start walking better.  I just remembered this morning that Ryan is only about 44-45 years old so this is quite young for a knee replacement I would think.  Maybe I'll ask DB what the cause of his knee failure was.  Accident?  While I walked today I prayed for all on the list, my family members in need, and the Ukraine people and supporting countries.  I hope the prayers help!

Congrats to @DWAliaschiefon her retirement and upcoming travels with Bruce.  And @cat shepardI love hearing about the zooming fawns.  One year when the trees weren't so thick here we watched two fawns running around the top of a retention pond for rain runoff.  They circled around and around the top at full speed.  So I understand what you're saying about zooming!  This morning on our walk the only wildlife we saw was a fox again.  Same neighborhood as last time.  Also Ann I want to say you are one of the most active people I know on this thread.  Lots of us go to the gym, or walk, or swim but you do such a variety of activities.  Something every day.  Good for you!!  @Cruzin Terrisuch great news your tests were negative.  Hoping and praying for the same tomorrow.  

Have a good day everyone!  I'll be back with the Vietnam photos.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!  I was watching NCIS: Los Angeles last night and early in the show the actors are walking down the beach.  In the background was a HAL ship.  Due to depth of field, it was never in focus but you could see the twin stacks and color scheme enough to know it was HAL.

• Like 24

I've been to Phu My twice on the Diamond Princess, in 2010 and in 2013.  Once was on a transpacific cruise from Bangkok to Whittier, Alaska.  The second time on a Singapore to Sydney cruise.  

On my 2010 visit to Phu My, Vietnam the Diamond Princess docked at this expansive port and found a crowd of buses awaiting us.  That's because there is nothing to do here unless you take a tour somewhere else.  That day we were heading to Ho Chi Minh City.enhance

Along the way to HCM City we saw families on their mode of transportation, the motorbike.  They had travel down pat it seemed.enhance

That baby was wearing a net over its head I suppose so the bugs didn't get smashed into its face.  On one bridge they had a protected lane of their own to ride in.  You would see up to four people on one motorbike.  Just three in this photo though.enhance

The tour stopped at one point at a lacquer factory.  Here are some of the artists at work.  This man looks like he's using eggshell to decorate his lacquer piece.enhance

enhance

enhance

Finished products for sale in their showroom.enhance

enhance

Next we saw the former Presidential Palace, which was renamed the Reunification Palace or Independence Palace.  During the fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975, it was the site of the end of the Vietnam War when  North Vietnamese Army tank crashed through its gates.enhance

enhance

Below is the Rex Hotel where CIA agents reportedly hung out during the war.enhance

There was a beautiful garden just out in front of the Rex Hotel.  enhance

enhance

Enough on our 2010 visit to Phu My and Ho Chi Minh City.  On the 2013 visit we headed out on a tour of Vung Tau which I will document in my next post.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

In 2013 Diamond Princess stopped in Phu My and we began a tour which included a village temple, a market, a home visit, a whale temple and lunch at a seaside resort.  Some shots of the village temple along with our guide.enhance

enhance

enhance

Then a stop at the market in case we were out of anything.😄enhance

enhance

If that market was out of rice paper for spring rolls, never fear!  We stopped at this woman's home where she was busy making some.  enhance

enhance

Here is where she lays them to dry.enhance

She was fast and talented at it.  Here's a batch of them drying outside.enhance

Our guide showed us what they would look like in use in the kitchen.  Looks good!enhance

One lucky guy volunteered to try his skill at making rice paper.  Check out his results!  I guess practice really does make perfect.enhance

enhance

Rice paddies seen from our bus.enhance

Next we headed into this family home to see what life was like there.enhance

In the main living area they had a shrine to their departed relatives.  enhance

Then on to their kitchen with their family "pet" pig nearby.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Time for a snack in the garden.enhance

Just fruit, no pig!enhance

Next up was the seaside resort for lunch.  It was called Binh An Resort.  enhance

Here are two plates of their buffet items we had chosen  enhance

enhance

After dining we strolled their grounds and took photos.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

From there we drove along the coast, stopping to take photos of the fishermen bringing in their catch at Front Beach in Vung Tau.enhance

enhance

enhance

We continued on to the Whale Temple.  enhance

They had whale bones in glass cases along with their offerings of money to the whales.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I think that covers the tour from Phu My to Vung Tao.  Sorry so many photos!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10