Will you visit Hong Kong or Shanghai next year?

Rainbow3fe

Hi,

We are booked on Oceania from Hong Kong to Tokyo March 2023. We're worried because of the China Covid reports about both Hong Kong and Shanghai right now.  Is anyone still planning to go there? 

I would love some feedback as to whether you're canceling or waiting.

Thanks 

Geopolitics aside, unless the COVID protocols change dramatically the Middle Kingdom is closed for the foreseeable future. 

We have relatives in HK and in southern China. SWMBO & Kid was planning a trip for 2024, but the relatives told us to stay away.

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I willnot plan any Asian trips before the pandemic is under full control - with the current restrictions and ‘zero tolerance’ I is too risky to plan Asian cruise or visits to China/Hong Kong.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are currently booked for the Hong Kong to Bangkok segment of Viking’s multi-segment cruise from Vancouver to Sydney.  We are scheduled to board in Hong Kong on October 27, 2022. Fingers and toes are all crossed that the cruise doesn’t get canceled. 

19 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are currently booked for the Hong Kong to Bangkok segment of Viking’s multi-segment cruise from Vancouver to Sydney.  We are scheduled to board in Hong Kong on October 27, 2022. Fingers and toes are all crossed that the cruise doesn’t get canceled. 

Hi Clay 

Thanks for telling me this. I would be interested in knowing what happens. We are booked on an Oceania cruise next March. We too will board in Hong Kong. We were planning to stay pre-cruise in Hong Kong for 4 nights. We are worried that Hong Kong won't reopen and don't know what to do.

Stay safe  

Felice 

51 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Hi Clay 

Thanks for telling me this. I would be interested in knowing what happens. We are booked on an Oceania cruise next March. We too will board in Hong Kong. We were planning to stay pre-cruise in Hong Kong for 4 nights. We are worried that Hong Kong won't reopen and don't know what to do.

Stay safe  

Felice 

I will likely being doing a “Live” thread on the Viking board (presuming our cruise goes 🤞) you’re welcome to follow over there or follow us on Instagram-there is a link in my signature. 

• Thanks 1

Rumors in Hong Kong are that they are considering transfers from airport to cruiseship or vice versa as in transit - this is a means to circumvent that 7-day quarantine for in-coming visitors.  Currently, if you are in transit at the Hong Kong Airport, you do not need to be quarantined or need a covid test.  I suspect that it will have to be by cruiseline bus transfers in order to minimize contact.  So, pre-cruise or post-cruise in Hong Kong looks out of the question.  Since Hong Kong is following China's guidelines, that 7-day quarantine may be there for an indefinite future.  I don't know how workable this transit option will be as it will pretty much require all passengers to arrive or depart on day of departure/arrival.  It will require some passengers to stay at the terminal for a few hours before boarding a cruiseline's bus for transfer.  I will be arriving on April 4, 2023 in Hong Kong on the Windstar Star Breeze, but it holds only 312 passengers.  So, it would be workable for us.  But much larger ships will have logistic difficulties.  All of this is speculation, but it does show the limited options that the cruiselines has to face.  I can see it work for ships under a thousand passengers, but as the ship gets larger, there are only so many airlines flying in or out of Hong Kong.  On the other hand if your ship is just visiting Hong Kong for a day, expect Hong Kong to become a sea day or another port will be scheduled.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I am on Oceania Regatta in the fall of 2023 that has Shanghai and Hong Kong as ports of call and I am assuming neither will happen. If either does, I will be surprised. Shanghai is a bucket list city for me. I've been to Hong Kong before and loved it. I have a friend who is Chinese and from Hong Kong who lives in Australia who just returned to Hong Kong to visit family for the first time since COVID. She said it's not the same and to be glad I visited several years ago. It's not just COVID, it's the changes in the Chinese government and the crack down on human rights that started pre-COVID. Personally, as much as I'd like to go to Shanghai and back to Hong Kong, I'm okay if I miss these ports.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I am on Oceania Regatta in the fall of 2023 that has Shanghai and Hong Kong as ports of call and I am assuming neither will happen. If either does, I will be surprised. Shanghai is a bucket list city for me. I've been to Hong Kong before and loved it. I have a friend who is Chinese and from Hong Kong who lives in Australia who just returned to Hong Kong to visit family for the first time since COVID. She said it's not the same and to be glad I visited several years ago. It's not just COVID, it's the changes in the Chinese government and the crack down on human rights that started pre-COVID. Personally, as much as I'd like to go to Shanghai and back to Hong Kong, I'm okay if I miss these ports.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your feedback.  Sadly, we canceled our Oceania Nautica cruise for March 2023. It was going from Hong-Kong to Tokyo with a stop in Shanghai. We were also hoping to return to Hong-Kong.  We lived visiting there 15 years ago. 

I was concerned that it wouldn't be the same since China has put restrictions over the years and now with Covid protocols.

Hope your able to do your cruise. 

Stay safe 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes to Hong Kong 2023 - booked on  Silverseas Jan 5 Singapore to Hong Kong so per SS open and they have all permissions- we dock Jan 18 and Disembark Jan 19 fly back to USA on Jan 20.  Tours booked  - Now you can never be certain what China will require!

We are booked on a Regent cruise roundtrip Hong Kong in Nov 2023. On the fence at this point. 

While HKs formal quarantine has been lifted, there are still 7-days of required self testing and monitoring as well as a test prior to boarding the plane and a test/go upon arrival in HK. There is also limited movement permitted (no mask off or group environments) during the 7-days. We would need to arrive on Thursday morning for a cruise departing Friday at 5pm so not sure how the required monitoring period would work for 1.5 days. If this is still in place upon final payment, we are sadly going to cancel. Heaven forbid I test positive and end up in a quarantine facility there. 

COVID-19 Thematic Website - Together, We Fight the Virus - Inbound Travel (coronavirus.gov.hk)

DW and I really enjoy visiting HK and mainland China.  It is a fascinating country with so much to offer any visitor.  That being said, the current government of China seems to be not rational when it comes to anything COVID.  The government is willing, and able, to lock just about anything down including cities, amusement parks, etc.  One minute you could be happily touring some place in China and the next minute you might find yourself imprisoned where you stand without the ability to leave.  Will China do this to cruise ships, excursions, etc?  Who knows.  But we do know that they recently shut down Disney's Shanghai Park with no notice and trapped thousands within the park.

IMHO anyone would have to be nutz to visit China until their government gives some assurances that will end this insanity and guarantee that tourists will not be trapped in various part of their country.  Otherwise, it seems to be country best avoided.   Until such time as China abandons this crazy "zero Covid" policy one would be rolling the dice anytime they entered a place under the control of the Chinese government.

Hank

• Like 4

I was scheduled to be on the Oceania Nautica March 2023 from Singapore to Hong Kong.  We just received notice that our cruise will now not go to Hong Kong at all but will instead visit two ports in Taiwan and finish in Taipei.  I had used Oceania air so they will make the changes, but this trip is celebrating my 50th and my moms 80th birthdays so we are still going unless something else changes.

1 minute ago, EllaDuChien said:

I was scheduled to be on the Oceania Nautica March 2023 from Singapore to Hong Kong.  We just received notice that our cruise will now not go to Hong Kong at all but will instead visit two ports in Taiwan and finish in Taipei.  I had used Oceania air so they will make the changes, but this trip is celebrating my 50th and my moms 80th birthdays so we are still going unless something else changes.

Hi,

I understand.  I'm sorry the trip won't be what you anticipated but you're sure to have a wonderful celebration. You're lucky you booked O air. Others are in an awful bind.

We canceled our Nautica HK to Tokyo due to those concerns.  Was planning to stay in HK for a week before the cruise. We rebooked for 2025. 

Enjoy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EllaDuChien said:

Curious to know what Oceania's explanation was provided in this notice? Looks like all Oceania 2023 cruises now omit Hong Kong but 2024 itineraries still have this port included. We've wanted to visit Hong Kong for some time however, with these uncertain times, have chosen to sail elsewhere.

Edited by WESTEAST

15 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Curious to know what Oceania's explanation was provided in this notice? Looks like all Oceania 2023 cruises now omit Hong Kong but 2024 itineraries still have this port included. We've wanted to visit Hong Kong for some time however, with these uncertain times, have chosen to sail elsewhere.

Update: just checked Oceania's site and in October 2023, Hong Kong and Shanghai are still on itineraries.

18 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

This is the email they sent me:

Dear Valued Guest,

We have an important update to the itinerary for your upcoming voyage aboard Nautica. Due to the uncertainty surrounding access to ports in China, your cruise will now conclude in Keelung, the port for Taipei, Taiwan.

To express our appreciation for your understanding with this change, we will be providing you with a 20% discount to the cruise fare reserved for your voyage.

Guests with airfare that has been reserved through Oceania Cruises will automatically have their air arrangements revised to depart from Taipei at the conclusion of the voyage.

They have already credited me the 20% but have not changed my air as yet.

• Thanks 1

Just now, EllaDuChien said:

This is the email they sent me:

Dear Valued Guest,

We have an important update to the itinerary for your upcoming voyage aboard Nautica. Due to the uncertainty surrounding access to ports in China, your cruise will now conclude in Keelung, the port for Taipei, Taiwan.

To express our appreciation for your understanding with this change, we will be providing you with a 20% discount to the cruise fare reserved for your voyage.

Guests with airfare that has been reserved through Oceania Cruises will automatically have their air arrangements revised to depart from Taipei at the conclusion of the voyage.

They have already credited me the 20% but have not changed my air as yet.

Thank you very much for posting and though disappointing for you and your family, hope that there are no further changes.  As mentioned before, thankfully you booked with O Air and hope that your flight home doesn't have too many connections as not sure how convenient Taipei is to fly out of versus Hong Kong.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:27 AM, EllaDuChien said:

I’m on the Singapore-Tokyo cruise that includes your segment. I received a small credit; others got a 15-20% discount.  May I ask if you received anything similar?

1 hour ago, XCoastie73 said:

I’m on the Singapore-Tokyo cruise that includes your segment. I received a small credit; others got a 15-20% discount.  May I ask if you received anything similar?

I got a 20% discount off of the fare.  It has already been applied, although they have not yet changed my air.

• 3 weeks later...